Thais Believe Corruption Can’t Be Solved

george

Can Thailand's corruption be solved?  

41 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thais believe corruption can’t be solved

BANGKOK: -- Nearly sixty percent of Thais believe Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s government will not succeed in its ‘War on Corruption’, according to the latest opinion poll released on Sunday.

Around a third of those interviewed by the ABAC pollsters believe the government would be able to effectively deal with the country’s corruption.

Two out of every three people surveyed said corruption in government had worsened because of legal loopholes.

More than sixty percent of those interviewed said they believed there was no transparency in the construction of the new Suvarnabhumi airport.

Over half of those surveyed believed that Mr. Thaksin was the most honest politician. Nearly three quarters of them said most politicians were not honest, and over fifty percent believed the ministers in the current

government were not clean.

Nearly sixty percent of those interviewed disagreed with Mr. Thaksin’s recent comments that it was a common practice for suppliers to offer free meals and overseas trips to committee members and designers.

The prime minister’s comments were made recently in connection to the alleged corruption involving the purchase of the bomb scanners for Suvarnabhumi airport's baggage section.

The fact that a third of Thais interviewed felt there was nothing wrong with this practice was not a healthy sign, the director of ABAC Poll Noppadol Kunnika said.

The ABAC poll interviewed 1,975 people in Bangkok and the provinces.

--TNA 2005-05-15

Opposition calls on govt to acknowledge corruption claims

BANGKOK: -- The opposition Democrat Party today urged the government to acknowledge claims by the World Bank that Thailand’s corporate governance was riddled with problems of corruption, while stressing that blaming the media for the accusations would not resolve the issue.

The comments by Democrat spokesman Ongart Klamphaiboon follow severe criticism by Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra of the media’s decision to publish the World Bank’s findings as headline news.

Calling on the prime minister not to deny the problem of corruption in Thai society, Mr. Ongart said that the World Bank report indicated that Thailand still had problems relating to law enforcement, rules, regulations and the prevention of corruption.

“The prime minister must acknowledge the truth and find a way of resolving this”, he said. Referring to the prime minister’s accusations that the media was failing to honour Thailand’s reputation, he said that Mr. Thaksin failed to understand the role of the media.

“The person who is not honouring Thailand is the prime minister himself, and he is not honouring the Thai public for their anger, but instead treating them as if they are deaf and mute and don’t understand the World Bank report”, he said.

--TNA 2005-05-15

IMHO the only way that corruption can be reduced is to take the top ten generals, police men and politicians from all parties and publicly shoot them. Give their successors 3 months to slow or stop the corruption and if they cannot shoot them as wlll. By the 4th or 5th round there will be a very concerted effort to clean up society. All the assets owned by them and their immediate families should be sold and the monies generated by the sale given transparantly to poor people in the provinces.

Brutal,yes. Prone to errors, yes. But if 2500 plus "drug dealers" were executed and nothing much has changed what are a couple of hundred more deaths compared to that.

Who knows it may even work.

Can be, but won't happen, I'd say. No real enough reason to, and too many continue to have too much to lose by making changes...

Sometimes it works for you, sometimes against. Makes for interesting living... :o

Edited by Ajarn

I believe that corruption in Thailand is inevitable due to the huge disparity between the rich and the poor citizens, an the general lack of any "middle class".

It is a case of the "haves" and "have nots". Unfortunately the average Thai policeman's or government employees salary puts them in the "have not" category, but the "power and prestige" of these positions leaves them wanting more. After all, is there any such thing as having "too much money?" Not for any of us, a Thai government employee, or even Bill Gates.

The "haves" are also to blame- we all know that money talks. It will always get the attention of the "have nots".

Edited by bino

IMHO the only way that corruption can be reduced is to take the top ten generals, police men and politicians from all parties and publicly shoot them.

Perhaps a less violent yet equally effective method would be to shut down the Chulachomklao Military academy and remove all of its graduates from public office.

Silly question. As if it's conceivable that anywhere in the world will ever solve corruption. I imagine it can be reduced, but there'll always be people unsatisfied with that. I voted null vote.

Singapore's pretty corruption free. Just do whatever they did.

Singapore is a small place with a comparatively small population which is easily micromanaged. It provided its people with a top quality education in English, and a government sponsored housing program which makes housing available to all Singaporeans.

The foresight of colonial founder Stamford Raffles recognized the deepwater harbour and strategic location. This would become one of the busiest seaports in the world and make Singapore a wealthy center of business and finance, whose citizens enjoy a high standard of living.

Sadly Thailand has none of these going for it.

Singapore is a small place with a comparatively small population which is easily micromanaged. It provided its people with a top quality education in English, and a government sponsored housing program which makes housing available to all Singaporeans.

The foresight of colonial founder Stamford Raffles recognized the deepwater harbour and strategic location. This would become one of the busiest seaports in the world and make Singapore a wealthy center of business and finance, whose citizens enjoy a high standard of living.

Sadly Thailand has none of these going for it.

I don't buy that Singapore is so corruption-free. I just think the news is successfuly managed, much like Malaysia and Indonesia, though Indonesia has opened up a bit in the last few years, like removing the 14 page limit for the Jakarata Post...

I think Thailand's relatively open and uncontrolled press has contributed much to further Thailand's reputation for extreme corruption. Some other places simply don't broadcast 'negative news' like that...

Hey, isn't that idea a particular favorite idea of Thaksin, who has called Mahatir his 'Mentor'?

I don't buy that Singapore is so corruption-free. I just think the news is successfuly managed

You're quite right- part of Singapore's micromanagement is a heavy censorship program of what they tell the world, and even their own people.

And also quite right- not a "perfect" place (The Singapore Police Dept slogan is "Low crime doesn't mean no crime."), but better than LOS in this respect. Many private business dealings can be corrupt- but the government not as likely.

I don't buy that Singapore is so corruption-free. I just think the news is successfuly managed

You're quite right- part of Singapore's micromanagement is a heavy censorship program of what they tell the world, and even their own people.

And also quite right- not a "perfect" place (The Singapore Police Dept slogan is "Low crime doesn't mean no crime."), but better than LOS in this respect. Many private business dealings can be corrupt- but the government not as likely.

I would certainly feel safer in Singapore than Pattaya. But it sure is a lot easier to find a smile here...

My sense about Singapore is that security comes at the cost of many personal freedoms, and what others might call 'Human Rights'. I guess for many Singaporeans, it's an okay type of trade-off. Lee Kwan Yuu was a brilliant Autocrat, and continues to pull strings, it seems.

Thailand could, and I'm sure many would say should, follow the same path as Singapore, but with more than 500 years of institutionalized corruption, it's a tough habit to break. Singapore was still new and trainable...

For me, Singapore would never be my cup of tea. If Thailand ever got to that point, I'd be off for other parts. I like the balance of freedom and chaos here, mostly... :o

Some real good posts above especially retorting to Singapores non corruption status. Just ask those not in the loop.

Fact is corruption has been with us (humans) since we became farmers many thousands of years ago. Before there was civilization or politics. As long as we crave for more it will always be with us. I believe it can certainly be reduced anywhere in the world if you remove the opportunity to benefit from corruption from the people we put into power as one poster suggested. The penalties for being caught would need to be very severe, like death. If all world governments had ministers qualified by there academic/political abilities and not by their monetary pull, there would be no place for the wealthy to go into politics merely to protect their interests, or for the ambitious to use politics to become wealthy.

Sadly this is fantasy.

T.

nope it canot be eradicated because large sums of money are paid out to get the best jobs for raking in the dirty money . so they have to get their money back on the outlay.

the police rake in 31 billion baht a year in dirty money .

so thailand will stay rotten to the core .

Yeah, lots of name calling.... calling that money "dirty."

That tone changes for a LOT of people when they see that envelope, suitcase, crate, of untraceable/tax free "dirty" money offered to them.

:o

Public doubts honesty of ministers, agencies

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra continues to win public trust for his honesty but most people are suspicious of his ministers and several political institutions about their possible involvement in corruption, according to an opinion survey by Assumption University.

The Abac poll centre of the campus surveyed public views towards corruption in Thailand. It surveyed 1,975 people in 24 provinces during May 11-14.

Of the respondents, 57% were confident of the prime minister's honesty but about 74% doubted politicians in general were honest, and 55% doubted ministers were honest.

The poll found 57% were not confident that the Thaksin government would eradicate corruption, and 66% of them considered corruption in state agencies was serious in the past year.

It also found that 57.5% of respondents disagreed with the prime minister's remark that it was normal for bidders to entertain people who drafted the terms of the bidding and those who made decisions on a tender. However, 32% of respondents agreed with the remark, said poll director Noppadol Kannika, ``which bodes ill for Thailand's social, economic and political stability''.

The point was related to the procurement of luggage-bomb detectors for Suvarnabhumi airport, in which bribes were allegedly paid to secure the supply contract.

The poll found that 65% believed corruption existed in the airport project, 61% believed malfeasance happened in tambon administrative organisations, 59% held the same view of the Highways Department, 54% of provincial administrative organisations and 54% of municipalities.

Less than half had confidence in the honesty of agencies cracking down on graft such as the National Counter Corruption Commission, the Anti-Money Laundering Office, the Election Commission, the House, the Senate, the Office of the Auditor-General, the police, and the Office of the Ombudsman.

--Bangkok Post 2005-05-16

Corruption have been their way of life. I guess it would be a easy task for Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra. Question is how lond will it take and by when. They must show a time frame to tell the people not just talk talk only.

The poll found that 65% believed corruption existed in the airport project, 61% believed malfeasance happened in tambon administrative organisations, 59% held the same view of the Highways Department, 54% of provincial administrative organisations and 54% of municipalities.

This is so true, not only of the poll respondents, but to comment on the 61% who believed corruption existed in tambon administration, I saw visible evidence of this recently when I visited my partner's village is Isaan... the road works are much better in the village of the tambon administrator. It is a position that everyone vies for... only 4,000 THB per month salary, but kickbacks and other "benefits" can make such a person a relatively wealthy man.

It is (as Patrick says) and always will be an integral part of their way of life. :o

Some real good posts above especially retorting to Singapores non corruption status. Just ask those not in the loop.

Fact is corruption has been with us (humans) since we became farmers many thousands of years ago. Before there was civilization or politics. As long as we crave for more it will always be with us. I believe it can certainly be reduced anywhere in the world if you remove the opportunity to benefit from corruption from the people we put into power as one poster suggested. The penalties for being caught would need to be very severe, like death. If all world governments had ministers qualified by there academic/political abilities and not by their monetary pull, there would be no place for the wealthy to go into politics merely to protect their interests, or for the ambitious to use politics to become wealthy.

Sadly this is fantasy.

T.

"Singapores" ??? You can do what ever you want, but don't get caught.

Be honest!!The reason I live in Thailand is that it is inexpensive compared to farangland.The corruption system allows that.Oh my!I must be a bad person!Imagine what the cost of living would be here if they changed all the things ''we'' complainj about!!

"Two out of every three people surveyed said corruption in government had worsened because of legal loopholes." GUILTY :o

"The fact that a third of Thais interviewed felt there was nothing wrong with this practice was not a healthy sign, the director of ABAC Poll Noppadol Kunnika said."

GUILTY :D