Fishing Competition, April On Koh Samui

I didn't know you were part of the Samui game fishing lot Joe ? :blink: As said I would be interested in joining a trip for some decent fishing if anybody else is up for it ? I know Womble likes a good days fishing but haven't seen him posting lately?

Let us know how many people are needed etc and it could be game on ;)

Joe don't be telling me there are people out there who go fishing and DON"T drink whilst doing it :blink: I'm not having it. :o

Me sir, I fall into this category, when you go a fair way out, I concentrate on fishing, can get a bit hazardous. No dramas having a beer on the way back, but not whilst moving about a boat & fishing.

Sorry.

Sorry Roo I don't fall into this catagory of fisherman. I pay somebody to take me to the fishing spot where I can fish and drink then expect the guy to take me and my huge catch back to at least near where we set off from ;) I once tried doing it myself. I got to the fishing spot. Started fishing and having a good time with a few of the guys and then when it came to going back the coast didn't quite look the same as it did a few hours ago when we arrived :o

:D

Ended up about 10 miles South of where we set off from so simply had to follow the coast till we hit home. I suppose with GPS these days you just point it where it tells you to go so may give it another go soon :thumbsup:

I take it there are no takers for a days fishing then ?

looks like I will have to pop over to Tao for a day or two and hook up with some guys there then. There is some good sport fishing around Tao.

A few dives and some fishing. Throw in a few beers and life don't get much better :D;)

I take it there are no takers for a days fishing then ?

looks like I will have to pop over to Tao for a day or two and hook up with some guys there then. There is some good sport fishing around Tao.

A few dives and some fishing. Throw in a few beers and life don't get much better :D;)

I'd like to go, but not sure of my survival rate.

• 3 months later...

August 1 I will have a sportfishing boat on Samui. Arrives via RORO in late July through Singapore. Boat is a 26 foot Twin 4 stroke outboard Catamaran, Glacier Bay. Not 40 feet, but the cat hull gives a much better ride than even a 35 foot center console.

Live bait well, outriggers, twin outboards, 25 knot cruising, 300 mile range, fuel efficient, T-top, radar, Furuno depth finder, 2 GPS plotters, 2 VHF's, Stereo, fresh and saltwater washdown, dive ladder, 2 in deck ice boxes the size of large coffins, T-top, crapper.

Also have several bean bag chairs. These are the industry standard for offshore fishing in the US Gulf coast these days.

As far as safety, I also have an EPIRB, two VHF's, and have rigged the cat with 4 independent bilge pumps.

My goals as far as fishing goes would be to find some decent yellow fin, if they exist in GT, blakfin, Mahi-Mahi, Cobia, the occasional kingfish for sport, and start looking for some billfish action.

As far as diving I would like to see if there are some reefs or shallow hard spots that have a few lobsters and other shell fish left on them. May be interested in spear fishing, and have an acceptable underwater camera setup now.

Not a 40' 50 knot boat, but should get to a lot of water that hasn't seen many lures or live baits out of Samui.

Sorry I missed the last tournament, but will plan on seeing lots of blue water between now and next april to get a decent book going in Samui.

I would like to find a couple of friends who can help share expenses and maintenance work. Blue water boats, even one as fuel efficient as this, take a bit of cash and labor to maintain. I will be Samui the weekend of 24 June to find a place to put the boat. Drop me a note if you are interested in meeting up at that time.

Have a few pics from my last sea trial out of Venice posted here as well.

Regards,

Samui Stevepost-127400-0-92883400-1308061476_thumb.post-127400-0-56621700-1308061433_thumb.post-127400-0-98550500-1308061387_thumb.post-127400-0-54531500-1308061316_thumb.post-127400-0-12021000-1308061290_thumb.post-127400-0-46626000-1308061262_thumb.

Unfortunatley NO GT, No YFT and no lobster.

Big eye Trevaley and many other trevaley species. Also the very tasty golden trevaley.

There are cobia, very big ones and I have seen them free diving in samui in packs of 2,3 or more in 2m water less than 10m from headlands by busy beaches!!!

They are rarely caught by local anglers. Sometimes they fluke one whilst trolling a rapala.

There are Marlin and Sailfish here in the Bluewater. Also Mahi Mahi if you can find flotsom Jetsom.

Narrow Barred Mackerel are fairly common and go up to 30kg+. Also pesky Baracuda........Yuk!!! Always cracks me up how restaraunts display them as some prized fish. I've had so many people here in samui tell me they are tasty.......they stink the fish box out and I only keep them when running out of bait if bottom fishing at night!

I have read some very interesting articles recently written by accademics (marine biologists). They are studies of fish catches in the gulf of Thailand . Severel studdies point out that the deeper water off Samui is very attractive to Marlin and other Pelagic fish. Blah Tu (short bodied Mackerel), and severel other species which are food sources for billfish spawn in the water nw of Samui in the marine park. Before and after April/June there is a migration to and from this area.

Blah Tu are present year round in the blue water east of Samui so billfish will be present year round. I know someone who catches them year round, but there are definately times when more are around.

Not sure if anyone here knows of rompin in malaysia, well they have sailfish in huge numbers and there is no structure, they catch them in open water. From what I read in the articles it made it sound like samui could be a similar such place where billfish can be caught in an area with no obvious structure or features to attract them. eg seamounts.

I'm not suggesting hookups in the double digits daily like rompin, but I am a strong believer good fish can be caught here by people who know how to fish and put the time in to try everything on a decent fishing platform. Time = $$$ - Fuel, bait and equipment aint cheap.

Also one of the articles I read suggests that the run off from Samui due to over development holds certain nutrients which when carried out to deeper water could be a factor in making the area even more attractive. Sounds like BS I know, but I will find the PDF and post a link on here..........

Edited by womble

Unfortunatley NO GT, No YFT and no lobster.

Big eye Trevaley and many other trevaley species. Also the very tasty golden trevaley.

There are cobia, very big ones and I have seen them free diving in samui in packs of 2,3 or more in 2m water less than 10m from headlands by busy beaches!!!

They are rarely caught by local anglers. Sometimes they fluke one whilst trolling a rapala.

There are Marlin and Sailfish here in the Bluewater. Also Mahi Mahi if you can find flotsom Jetsom.

Narrow Barred Mackerel are fairly common and go up to 30kg+. Also pesky Baracuda........Yuk!!! Always cracks me up how restaraunts display them as some prized fish. I've had so many people here in samui tell me they are tasty.......they stink the fish box out and I only keep them when running out of bait if bottom fishing at night!

I have read some very interesting articles recently written by accademics (marine biologists). They are studies of fish catches in the gulf of Thailand . Severel studdies point out that the deeper water off Samui is very attractive to Marlin and other Pelagic fish. Blah Tu (short bodied Mackerel), and severel other species which are food sources for billfish spawn in the water nw of Samui in the marine park. Before and after April/June there is a migration to and from this area.

Blah Tu are present year round in the blue water east of Samui so billfish will be present year round. I know someone who catches them year round, but there are definately times when more are around.

Not sure if anyone here knows of rompin in malaysia, well they have sailfish in huge numbers and there is no structure, they catch them in open water. From what I read in the articles it made it sound like samui could be a similar such place where billfish can be caught in an area with no obvious structure or features to attract them. eg seamounts.

I'm not suggesting hookups in the double digits daily like rompin, but I am a strong believer good fish can be caught here by people who know how to fish and put the time in to try everything on a decent fishing platform. Time = $$ - Fuel, bait and equipment aint cheap.

Also one of the articles I read suggests that the run off from Samui due to over development holds certain nutrients which when carried out to deeper water could be a factor in making the area even more attractive. Sounds like BS I know, but I will find the PDF and post a link on here..........

please do. i'm no professional angler but i am interested in reading up on this info, thanks.

http://map.seafdec.org/downloads/pdf/collaborative%20research/AreaI_GOT/SCS_FRS1_03.pdf

The sediments : Evaluation for further application approach

An apparent accumulation of current-induced materials on the sea bed in the two zones has also

reflected a comparatively high amounts of particles in the water column. In those areas, comparatively

high densities of suspended particles, together with phytoplankton, zooplankton or small fish

larvae etc. could be reasonably observed in the water column. Accordingly, several kinds of phytoplankton

feeding fish may aggregate due to comparatively high density of living phytolankton. In

this aspect, Takahashi et al. (1984) has revealed that the planktonic organisms and fishes apparently

congregated in the zone near Samui Island at the optimum temperature and salinity. Hence the water

areas there are potentially good fishing ground for marlin, mackerel, little tuna, and other fishes. The

fishing grounds for black marlin, Makaira indica CUVIER, which were caught by longline locate at

the boundary of a high salinity water mass extension from the South China Sea with the highest

density in the vicinity of Samui Island. Such a distribution pattern of black marlin was roughly

coincide with those of mackerel. The pelagic fishes migrating for feeding purpose are, therefore,

have revealed to attach to the zones of densely concentrated marine organisms around there. In

addition, the aggregation of fishes has long been determined also by pattern of water flow.

that's a pretty thorough study there womble, thanks very much for the link. very informative and gives me hope for some good fishing in the future.

hopefully some of the locals will start developing these "fish apartments" rather than more shophouses :D

Womble,

The salinity change is very interesting, and a likely fish magnet. It will almost certainly have a temperature anomaly associated with the salinity change since the different saline waters will be coming from different directions.

Charter captains and serious tournament players in the US subscribe to a service like Hilton's, with the link shown below. He incorporates satellite data with temperature, IR, wind & waves, and visual images with daily updates. The combination is good for identifying weedlines and temperature anomalies.

Hilton is an old fishing mate of mine, and I tried to talk him into starting a service for SE Asia. He is trying to determine if there is a large enough market for the service now.

Until then, I would ask anyone with some experience in computer searches and satellite imagery to see if they can download the raw temperature and visibile data that should be in the public domaing.

www.realtime-navigator.com/

Regards,

SamuiSteve

<br /><a href='http://map.seafdec.org/downloads/pdf/collaborative%20research/AreaI_GOT/SCS_FRS1_03.pdf' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>http://map.seafdec.o...SCS_FRS1_03.pdf</a><br /><br />The sediments : Evaluation for further application approach<br />An apparent accumulation of current-induced materials on the sea bed in the two zones has also<br />reflected a comparatively high amounts of particles in the water column. In those areas, comparatively<br />high densities of suspended particles, together with phytoplankton, zooplankton or small fish<br />larvae etc. could be reasonably observed in the water column. Accordingly, several kinds of phytoplankton<br />feeding fish may aggregate due to comparatively high density of living phytolankton. In<br />this aspect, Takahashi et al. (1984) has revealed that the planktonic organisms and fishes apparently<br />congregated in the zone near Samui Island at the optimum temperature and salinity. Hence the water<br />areas there are potentially good fishing ground for marlin, mackerel, little tuna, and other fishes. The<br />fishing grounds for black marlin, Makaira indica CUVIER, which were caught by longline locate at<br />the boundary of a high salinity water mass extension from the South China Sea with the highest<br />density in the vicinity of Samui Island. Such a distribution pattern of black marlin was roughly<br />coincide with those of mackerel. The pelagic fishes migrating for feeding purpose are, therefore,<br />have revealed to attach to the zones of densely concentrated marine organisms around there. In<br />addition, the aggregation of fishes has long been determined also by pattern of water flow.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Do you guys want me to merge most of this information into a pinned thread, say Fishing Samui Koh Tao KPG & surrounds? Or something similar? I mean we have a gardening thread, why can't we have a fishing marine one?

Do you guys want me to merge most of this information into a pinned thread, say Fishing Samui Koh Tao KPG & surrounds? Or something similar? I mean we have a gardening thread, why can't we have a fishing marine one?

yeah could do.........might sound stupid, but i'm slightly worried that should we prove the waters 20km+ off samui on the drop offs where currents converge do hold concentrations of Marlin the longliners move in and wipe out everything in a single season.

What do other members think?

I've been saying to friends for a long time now i'm sure there will be Marlin in the bluewater due to the large concentrations of baitfish.

I've been reading studies on surveys in the gulf and as you can see from reading them it certainly backs up my hunch.

All we got to do now is catch them.

I had to think a little before sticking those links on the board, a sticky may just make it too easy for those with bad intentions to find the info.

I think a fishing sticky would be cool, perhaps leaving out the information on possible concentrations of Marlin which would attract commercial longliners.

• 1 month later...