Thai Army On Stand-by For Bangkok To Prevent Further Bombings In The Capital

webfact

I think they are playing a very wierd game of creating panic,the government that is.

No doubt if the media plays it up and spotlights it again and again, you're just giving those responsible exaclty what they want indeed: mayhem, fear, panic. I know some locked themselves up in their homes. Its best to just get on with daily life, as there are risks and dangers in every big city.

That composite sketch narrows it down to about 20 million males.......

All this is completely none of our business.

But out of curiosity, is the General making a statement on behalf of the Government? Or is he running the Government? Did I miss a moment, or blinked, or something? Isn't the PM supposed to ask the Army's help? TIT for TAT, but not even the decorum :)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of us do NOT want another coup. I think some reds do of course if the coup leaders are their friends. Proactive increased military defensive actions may be a good sign that a coup is NOT going to happen. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see martial law here in March and/or April, but again, that can hopefully be temporary and doesn't have to result in another coup.

Edited by Jingthing

Most of us do NOT want another coup. I think some reds do of course if the coup leaders are their friends. Proactive increased military defensive actions may be a good sign that a coup is NOT going to happen. I wouldn't be surprised at all if we see martial law here in March and/or April, but again, that can hopefully be temporary and doesn't have to result in another coup.

There is no reason for a coup. The government and the army are working together. There won't be a coup until after the next election unless the government changes for some reason before that. And I'm not saying there will be a coup after the next election. That's a different discussion.

Some red shirt supporters'/sympathizers' bringing in quite some good arguments, hard to beat with rational thinking, even though the average red shirt fellow has no clue of what's really going on. I do realize that this is changing too.

I do condemn Thaksin's personal interest in all the "wind of change" situation, his protection of relatives involved in the genocide, but regard some of his policies to be far better than the current manipulated setting. In fact it was not Thaksin, but the team of not family related people he had and which was working hard and humble for a betterment of the people. I remember that most of his staff ignored him years before his fall, but had to oblige to their boss for various reasons.

As observed in the past, this kind of defensive action you call it, were nothing else than to secure important strategic positions, buildings, offices on a short note.

Some red shirt supporters'/sympathizers' bringing in quite some good arguments, hard to beat with rational thinking, even though the average red shirt fellow has no clue of what's really going on. I do realize that this is changing too.

I do condemn Thaksin's personal interest in all the "wind of change" situation, his protection of relatives involved in the genocide, but regard some of his policies to be far better than the current manipulated setting. In fact it was not Thaksin, but the team of not family related people he had and which was working hard and humble for a betterment of the people. I remember that most of his staff ignored him years before his fall, but had to oblige to their boss for various reasons.

Meaning...?

Meaning...?

I think that a change was bound to happen with or without Thaksin and that he was just overly concerned about HIS OWN EMPIRE. There were outstanding good team players in the government who got banned for 5 years.

Many in the team were not happy with their boss but also didn't rebel against him in public. Sad to see valid human resources going down the drain like this.

This isn't about the government being illegitimate or not, the result the will always be the same. Arrogant classist Thai society is learning a lesson on what happens when they let the balance slide too far. Even an outsider like me can see you live in Bangkok and rise to the top or go broke trying to compete. I would personally be rioting also if I was taught me whole life to be proud to be Thai but have the government and every arrogant jerk from the city look down on me because I didn't own a nice house and fancy car in Bangkok. Totally necessary conflict. Good luck to the people here trying to reclaim some dignity and respect even though they may be poor.

[/quote/]

How long were Thaksin and PPP in power? How big a majority did they have in parliament? Why didn't they change things when they had the chance? Maybe because they are just as bad as the so called "elite"? You think Thaksin wants to share his power with the common people? If so, why did he surround himself with the good old boys? Did he appoint non-corrupt village headmen? Straighten out the police force? Why not? He had the time, he had the votes. Nothing changed. Suddenly he gets caught stealing and he's a friend of the poor? BS.

This isn't about the government being illegitimate or not, the result the will always be the same. Arrogant classist Thai society is learning a lesson on what happens when they let the balance slide too far. Even an outsider like me can see you live in Bangkok and rise to the top or go broke trying to compete. I would personally be rioting also if I was taught me whole life to be proud to be Thai but have the government and every arrogant jerk from the city look down on me because I didn't own a nice house and fancy car in Bangkok. Totally necessary conflict. Good luck to the people here trying to reclaim some dignity and respect even though they may be poor.

[/quote/]

How long were Thaksin and PPP in power? How big a majority did they have in parliament? Why didn't they change things when they had the chance? Maybe because they are just as bad as the so called "elite"? You think Thaksin wants to share his power with the common people? If so, why did he surround himself with the good old boys? Did he appoint non-corrupt village headmen? Straighten out the police force? Why not? He had the time, he had the votes. Nothing changed. Suddenly he gets caught stealing and he's a friend of the poor? BS.

when you quote no slash at the end of the quote please like this will do the trick.

Edited by elcent

There are indeed reasons for a coup now. It would be a way for Thaksin's side of the military to take power. It would also be away for non-Thaksin friendly military to stabilize the country and grab even more power on the justification that the Abhisit government is too weak to handle this crisis. As we saw in the coup government period, they aren't good at it. The military does have great power here, so dismissing a coup soon as an impossibility is absurd.

Now the non-PC part. Bad as it would be, and it would very bad, I would prefer a non-Thaksin faction coup to a violent "people power" overthrow of the current government by red Thaksinista forces. I feel the majority of Thais would also. So don't discount the possibility of a coup, though it is far from probable soon.

Edited by Jingthing

There are indeed reasons for a coup now. It would be a way for Thaksin's side of the military to take power. It would also be away for non-Thaksin friendly military to stabilize the country and grab even more power on the justification that the Abhisit government is too weak to handle this crisis. As we saw in the coup government period, they aren't good at it. The military does have great power here, so dismissing a coup soon as an impossibility is absurd.

In other words a bull fight and nothing left for the people, sigh. Then you forgot to mention the third party who pulled the strings, namely PAD who could also escape justice. I Hope it will be not like this, and it could trigger the unexpected.

Now the non-PC part. Bad as it would be, and it would very bad, I would prefer a non-Thaksin faction coup to a violent "people power" overthrow of the current government by red Thaksinista forces. I feel the majority of Thais would also. So don't discount the possibility of a coup, though it is far from probable soon.

So you're suggesting a coup that would bring back Thaksin? That would be very bad for Thailand, because I think that would lead to much more serious protests, and, dare I say it, civil war.

I don't really think there is enough support in the army or by the people for that sort of coup, but I do think it will get worse before it gets any better.

I think they are playing a very wierd game of creating panic,the government that is.

The reds have openly stating their goal is to topple the current and totally legitimate government by any means needed. Panic isn't good. Defense is. Get real, the red threats are real.

Totally legitimate? Please explain.

The reds have openly stating their goal is to topple the current and totally legitimate government by any means needed. Panic isn't good. Defense is. Get real, the red threats are real.

Please explain how the current government is "totally legitimate"? I don't recall it being ELECTED? Was it not merely put in place after the previous govt resigned after the whole airport incident?

Nor was the current Primeminister of the UK but thats the way it is here and there! get a life and be real. The elections were held along with the refferendum to vote in the new constitution and that was voted in!

So you're suggesting a coup that would bring back Thaksin? That would be very bad for Thailand, because I think that would lead to much more serious protests, and, dare I say it, civil war.

No, I am saying that is one possibility as Thaksin still has some friends in high military places. In my view if there is a coup, it will more likely not be the Thaksin faction. Those who say Abhisit and the military are fully married are completely wrong.

Edited by Jingthing

Totally legitimate? Please explain.

In the last election, weren't all the Democrat MPs voted in at the same time as the PPP MPs? The PPP organised a coalition with a number of smaller parties to form a government. After the PPP was banned, the Democrats organised a coalition with a number of smaller parties to form a government.

Now you can argue the legitimacy of the PPP being banned, but other than that, the Democrat MPs were democratically voted for, and they have formed a legitimate government with other democratically elected MPs.

How would you propose to "prevent" further attacks? :D

This is a matter for good police work interviewing the people at the scene, not a job for the army.

If the government truly wishes to catch the guys throwing the grenades it would be better to utilize your best, competent police investigators rather than grand-standing to public sentiment with the threat of the army IMO.

Hmmm just look for a Thai guy riding a motorbike with a helmet on. Cant be too many of them around.

:)

They had a coup...then an election...the election voted back in the people the coup removed...so they had another lesser coup...then another election...which didn't work out so they appointed the guy they wanted to win...How do you see that as a legitimate government?

Because for some, anything is better than the thought of those poor, illiterate, uneducated reds being in power. There has not been enough time to re-educate those red hordes of grenade throwers yet :)

Here are 2 suggestions for the military HQ;

1. Forbid any political activity while wearing a uniform or while serving in a military capacity. It seems to work in countries like Australia, Denmark, USA etc.

2. Secure the armouries and munition storage points. Grenades should not be growing legs and walking away. I know it might sound revolutionary, but how about doing an inventory, you know sort of like other militaries do?

Sorry but # 2 won't work. Grenades (and other US military weapons) are available on the black market in the USA. I know for a fact. If the USA can't keep military weapons from being "stolen" and sold on the black market, why do expect the Thais to be able to do so??? :)

The current govenment created 15,000 extra life long cushy jobs

for the reward of 15,000 demonstrator of the airport

I do not of 1 Thai that ever voted voted for that elite..........

Edited by hardy1943

Here are 2 suggestions for the military HQ;

1. Forbid any political activity while wearing a uniform or while serving in a military capacity. It seems to work in countries like Australia, Denmark, USA etc.

2. Secure the armouries and munition storage points. Grenades should not be growing legs and walking away. I know it might sound revolutionary, but how about doing an inventory, you know sort of like other militaries do?

Sorry but # 2 won't work. Grenades (and other US military weapons) are available on the black market in the USA. I know for a fact. If the USA can't keep military weapons from being "stolen" and sold on the black market, why do expect the Thais to be able to do so??? :)

I guess I would wonder where you sourced #2. Anyone who has followed arms trade for the last 20 years would dispute any volume via #2. Arms are readily via dealers in Monaco, North Korea in any volumes. All that is needed is money.

One would do well to remember that one of Thaksin bosom buddies who incidentally ''borrowed'' a large sum of money from the now defuct B.B.C. bank when ''managed'' by Saxena is none other than ''ADAM KHASHOGGNI'' international war broker, arms dealer, supplier of arms to assorted terrorist factions around the world.

A plane load of weaponry turns up in Bangkok in somewhat dubious circumstances with an airplane crew claiming to have no knowledge that their cargo manifest was indeed a work of fiction.

Much huffing and puffing and the innocents (?) were released.

The ordinance seems to have vanished without a trace, even David Copperfield is not that great an illusionist.

Victor Bout is still in prison, useful to have a rival dealer imprisoned, competetion eliminated, headlines averted from the truth.

Revenge is mine screams an exile, remember all you who doubt the mandate of the current government that the alternative would be draconian Pol Pot lives, the Khemeer Rouge would be reborn, you never know what you have till you lose lose it.

The tale of the Frogs and their quest for a new King and the consequences thereafter springs to mind.

Democracy is a strange beast, the system we have now is far better than that which some of you seem to desire.

Do not forget the war on drug dealers innocent victims, do not forget Tak Bai, do not forget missing Muslim Lawyers.

Note that the kin and allies of Thaksin are moving around unmolested and come and go as they wish, they make their comments take their actions without let or hinderance.

Under the Thaksin regime people vanished, this is a fragile democracy, however this is the last chance that Thailand will have to develop into a full blown developing country with democracy and corruption will be beaten albeit slowly.

Hopefully the days of the political dinsaurs are going and at last a new young breed of well educated politicians with international connections who have no desire to steal from their country or manipulate its laws to benefit themselves and their business concerns is dawning.

What happened to the subject? "The army is on standby" - so why has everyone gone down the usual toilet of political discussions? Red shirts are proven violent and incited to riot and (allegedly) being paid. The Govt is doing its level best to appear to be in control. If the Army is an option so be it.

Last thing I want to see is mob rule, burned buses and streets blockaded with burning tyres and moronic taxi drivers.

I WOULD love to see the Baht slide in FX and today would be fine... But army on standby? Great!!! No issue my side.

One would do well to remember that one of Thaksin bosom buddies who incidentally ''borrowed'' a large sum of money from the now defuct B.B.C. bank when ''managed'' by Saxena is none other than ''ADAM KHASHOGGNI'' international war broker, arms dealer, supplier of arms to assorted terrorist factions around the world.

A plane load of weaponry turns up in Bangkok in somewhat dubious circumstances with an airplane crew claiming to have no knowledge that their cargo manifest was indeed a work of fiction.

Much huffing and puffing and the innocents (?) were released.

The ordinance seems to have vanished without a trace, even David Copperfield is not that great an illusionist.

Victor Bout is still in prison, useful to have a rival dealer imprisoned, competetion eliminated, headlines averted from the truth.

Revenge is mine screams an exile, remember all you who doubt the mandate of the current government that the alternative would be draconian Pol Pot lives, the Khemeer Rouge would be reborn, you never know what you have till you lose lose it.

The tale of the Frogs and their quest for a new King and the consequences thereafter springs to mind.

Democracy is a strange beast, the system we have now is far better than that which some of you seem to desire.

Do not forget the war on drug dealers innocent victims, do not forget Tak Bai, do not forget missing Muslim Lawyers.

Note that the kin and allies of Thaksin are moving around unmolested and come and go as they wish, they make their comments take their actions without let or hinderance.

Under the Thaksin regime people vanished, this is a fragile democracy, however this is the last chance that Thailand will have to develop into a full blown developing country with democracy and corruption will be beaten albeit slowly.

Hopefully the days of the political dinsaurs are going and at last a new young breed of well educated politicians with international connections who have no desire to steal from their country or manipulate its laws to benefit themselves and their business concerns is dawning.

Can I use this for a movie script? Great deductions! Love it... LOL :)

This is so predictable. It is highly unlikely that the UDD is behind it. THe grenades are army grenades and despite what they claim, these grenades are not readily available along the border, simply because the armies of neighboring countries are using different grenades just like the ethnic minority armies in Burma.

highly unlikely? I beg to differ. Isn't that Seh Daeng chap from the army? Have you heard what he has been saying over the last couple of weeks?

Actually, I haven't. I've read some things in The Nation and The Bangkok Post, but I came to realize three years ago that both those rags are just propaganda arms of PAD. The Nation is blatantly willing to lie to support their chosen leaders, but the Bangkok Post is no better. In general, I've come to the position that whatever they say against the red shirts is motivated by their desire to destroy democracy (such as it is) in Thailand.