Decisions, Decisions...

It's a gamble when all's said and done... but how to ensure the odds are at least a little in your favour?

... Thai company, or register in Thai sprog's name?

... buy land and build the ideal home, or sift through the myriads of properties on sale for a bargain buy from someone desperate to sell?

... where in LOS? Previously lived in Chiang Mai for three years, which I like a lot, but the air pollution's getting worse and worse. Fancy being near the sea, but I find the likes of Pattaya depressing and pretty sordid. Are there any relatively unspoilt and not too expensive places along the Chon Buri coast? (I would prefer to be within easy driving distance of Bkk).

To cap it all, I've got to do all this from France where I've been marooned for the next three years looking after kids whose mum has died. Doubt I'll be able to spend more than a month in LOS this year. Thai wife came back to Europe with me, slowly settling in, but we are both hankering after a return 'home' asap. Summer 2013, after both kids in France have finished school is the earliest we can return permanently, but I would like to get the ball rolling. Worried that sterling and the euro haven't finished taking a hammering against the likes of the baht.

Only rented before... hmm maybe that's an option too. But still, I do fancy the idea of a nice new place, decent sized plot, little pool. Not in a farang-filled, characterless moo ban though. Decisions, decisions :)

Hey Wedders,

Thanks for your post. I was surprised that your story is nearly identical to mine in that we would love to settle by the sea or have a sea breeze when we return to Thailand in a few years. In answer to your question in where to live, my wife has suggested a nice area just south of Hua Hin called Pranburi Prachuap Khirikhan.

Prachuap Khiri Khan, or commonly referred to as simply Prachup, is a province located in the lower central region 93km south of Hua Hin, while much smaller and quieter than Hua Hin. It connects with the South of Thailand and possesses various interesting sites such as beaches, islands, forests and mountains. Not often you get the beaches and the mountains within close proximity.

Last time we visited the area very briefly we found the long white sandy beaches very clean and pretty, much more so than Pattaya’s, and the sea is relatively clean. Besides just sunbathing snorkeling and swimming, we also enjoyed golf, spas, caves, peaks, waterfalls, shops, seafood and nearby national parks. I found the towns people very warm and friendly making it a pleasant place for families and couples.

We will head back this year for 1 month with a view to purchase some land or property with the idea of using it as a holiday base when we return to Thailand in a few years. Better you spend a small amount of time in the area to really see if that is the type of place that appeals to you. My second suggestion in the area around Rayong which is only a short 1 and 1/2 hour drive from Bangkok on the freeway south. They have some nice islands off the coast near Rayong which are quite unspoilt. Best of luck with your search.

This is how I did.

First, a Thai company was never an option for me as I had already decided that the land would be registered in my wife's name.  

I started looking at houses in Khon Kaen first, the place where we lived at the time, not because we wanted to buy a house there but for me to gain experience from Thai houses so I could learn about their major shortcomings. Then I travelled down to Eastern Seaboard and looked at existing houses and new developments, starting in Bang Saen, then continued with Sri Racha, Ban Amphur, Na Jomtien, Bang Sare, Ban Chang, Ban Phe and finally Laem Mae Phim. Altogether I looked at some 90 houses and developments in the 8 - 12 million price range. We nearly decided on Ban Phe but that project didn't materialise so we decided to give Hua Hin a go.

Here in Hua Hin I looked at about 30 different houses (only two of which were resale) and I finally selected five on a short list,then which we looked at more closely. The development we finally decided upon is just across the border to Pranburi and so far the construction has much better than what I had hoped for although the time schedule is not holding up. That said, the experience I gained from visiting all these developments, the fact that I am an engineer and, most importantly, that I decided to move early to Hua Hin to oversee the construction on a daily basis have been paramount in achieving the quality house we are getting.

We choose Hua Hin for several reasons:

1) The place is a good mix of Thai and Western style living and suits both me and my wife.

2) Clean air, there are no heavy industries here.

3) It is only 2 1/2 hours to Bangkok.

4) Many houses and developments to chose from although too many are of poor quality.

5) Only one hours drive south one can find nice hideaways and beautiful beaches that are virtually empty.

6) It is a peaceful place with a decent expat society.

Hey Wedders,

Thanks for your post. I was surprised that your story is nearly identical to mine in that we would love to settle by the sea or have a sea breeze when we return to Thailand in a few years. In answer to your question in where to live, my wife has suggested a nice area just south of Hua Hin called Pranburi Prachuap Khirikhan.

Prachuap Khiri Khan, or commonly referred to as simply Prachup, is a province located in the lower central region 93km south of Hua Hin, while much smaller and quieter than Hua Hin. It connects with the South of Thailand and possesses various interesting sites such as beaches, islands, forests and mountains. Not often you get the beaches and the mountains within close proximity.

Last time we visited the area very briefly we found the long white sandy beaches very clean and pretty, much more so than Pattaya's, and the sea is relatively clean. Besides just sunbathing snorkeling and swimming, we also enjoyed golf, spas, caves, peaks, waterfalls, shops, seafood and nearby national parks. I found the towns people very warm and friendly making it a pleasant place for families and couples.

We will head back this year for 1 month with a view to purchase some land or property with the idea of using it as a holiday base when we return to Thailand in a few years. Better you spend a small amount of time in the area to really see if that is the type of place that appeals to you. My second suggestion in the area around Rayong which is only a short 1 and 1/2 hour drive from Bangkok on the freeway south. They have some nice islands off the coast near Rayong which are quite unspoilt. Best of luck with your search.

Nah! better to head for the center of Thailand...say...somewhere near Phrae. Beaut hills, flowing rivers, no pressure from the local farangs, good food and welcoming locals! Hardly any perverts or backpackers (except my friends that is!) and it's got "seasons" :)

Thanks guig and stgrhe - Hua Hin sounds good, Khiri Khan too - but the latter is a bit too far south (need quicker car access for family in Bkk). I've been looking at some properties in both today. Definitely more expensive than the equivalent in Chiang Mai, but that's understandable. 8-12 million is too rich for me - I'm looking at max 6m.

tpi - been to Phrae once, nice place. Long way from Bkk though. As for seasons, I'm used to that, after living in Chiang Mai. All the rice burning and general city pollution is something I'm trying to avoid when making the permanent move.

stgrhe - build quality can be a disaster anywhere in LOS. I've lived in rented houses in Chiang Mai before, that look smart from the outside... but once you've stayed in them for a while you realise how badly they've been constructed. Paper thin walls, drainage systems that don't work, plumbing that's looks like it's been done by an apprentice's apprentice. That's one reason why I'm wary of buying from a new build project. Bought a yet to be built apartment in Tenerife once, years ago - ground floor, written assurance that nothing would be constructed between the building and the sea. The following year an 8 floor apartment hotel was built, about 20 metres beyond my terrace. Drainage smells along with multiple cockroaches found their way in no matter how many towels I jammed up against the gap.......

Still wary of putting a property in wife's name, as often discussed on these forums. Putting it in our daughter's name is an interesting option. I may have a prenup, and be about as cautious as you can get, but you can never be too careful.

Edited by wedders

Your's is not an easy decision. So many things to decide. I just went through this, having spent plenty of time traveling around Thailand and looking at places to live. There are so many options...and each has it's merits. You have to decide what is important for you. Being close to Bangkok? Or as far away as possible. We ended up in NaJomtien, south of Pattaya. For us, being close to modern amenities was critical. Plenty of things to do here in Pattaya. Good shopping, and only 90 minutes or so to Bangkok...where we go fairly often. And I had to be near the sea.

I have lived within a mile of the ocean for most of my life. Don't want to change that now...and we rarely go into central Pattaya...or even the North part of Jomtien. Easy to avoid those areas, thus making this area a pretty decent place to live. We have great restaurants right on the beach here in Amphur Sattahip. No reason to go to Pattaya. Except for shopping, but most are right on Sukhumvit.

Hua Hin was definitely at the top of the list for us. But it was a little to quiet for me. I needed more things to do. But the beaches south of there are fantastic. Truly beautiful. It is also a bit more expensive than here, and not as wide a selection of properties...but nothing compared to Phuket!

As for the ownership issue, it's a mess. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. No easy solution other than to rent or buy a condo...both of which were not options for me. I want to own my mess, not have somebody else in control of it! :)

And I am not a condo guy. Lived in one for years, but need my private pool and parking space.

So, it all depends on what you want. TV is a great place to get info about these places. Lots of people on here with lots of great info. Best of luck with your decision!

I'm just wondering why you need to buy now if you're not going to be living here until 2013. Personally I would wait and see what happens over the 3 years before committing to a property when I'm not even there.
It's complicated, to do with a couple of young step-kids that the French don't want to let into France. So I may only be back in LOS for a couple of months each year until 2013, but my wife needs to be there for about four months a year, including the long holiday (two and a half months) that starts about now. Buying early 2011 sounds about right. Plus I'm concerned about long-term Euro and sterling rates. And taking the time to find the ideal spot, and a 'bargain' buy, makes some sense. Don't want to stay in France any longer than possible. 20 years there as an expat was enough, thought I'd seen it for the last time early 2007, but no such luck.

Craig - I've a few regrets about not going back to Chiang Mai - really loved living there - but the pollution is very bad at times. I spent a lot of years by the sea in the past, feels like where I want to be when I go back. No condo for me either - small pool, a bit of space, maybe a small garden. Jomtien/Amphur Sattahip sounds interesting - don't want to be too remote from amenities. I've used a friend's villa when staying near Pattaya a few times before (coming from Bkk, just before the big roundabout where you turn left heading for Pattaya, about 15 mins drive from town). Didn't like it much because most of the villas were empty, farang owners elsewhere, a few wives, maids, pool cleaners drifting around. And nowhere near the beach either. Drove into Pattaya a couple of times in the morning, mostly gave it a wide berth.

I agree with Na Jomtien. Hua Hin is not an easy drive from Bangkok, or the airport and Pranburi, whilst very nice is very, very limited in terms of support structure of every kind, and is very far away (3.5 to 4 hours)

Na Jomtien can be accessed from Bkk without going through Pattaya, but is close enough for shops, schools, hospitals, cinema etc. Don't be put off by Pattaya's night life rep and miss out on the nearby areas.

Agreed. I love CM/CR. But can not deal with the air.

We are only 10 minutes from Central Pattaya Road and Sukhumvit. Lotus, BigC, CarreFour...all 10-15 minutes away...as well as my favorites of Numchai (TVs!!), Boonthavorn, HomePro/Works, Kanyong, and numerous other places. We are about 1KM from the beach. With plenty of great seafood restaurants. No need to head into central Pattaya. Central Festival is pretty darn good. We go there every other week or so.

So....you can make it what you want! Perfect....

I agree with Na Jomtien. Hua Hin is not an easy drive from Bangkok, or the airport and Pranburi, whilst very nice is very, very limited in terms of support structure of every kind, and is very far away (3.5 to 4 hours)

Nowadays the drive only takes 2 1/2 hours to Bangkok or Swampy, 3 hours on a bad day since the road has been upgraded.

Hi Wedders

We too were in a similar position to yourselves a few years ago. Spent a long time searching mainly in the Hua Hin, Cha-am and surrounding areas but couldn't find what we wanted. We had given up and were about to return to the UK when we went for the day to the beach at Bang Saen. Took a trip along the coast down to Sri Racha after lunch and purely by chance found just the perfect property on the coast near Bang Phra, just about opposite the Crystal Bay Golf Course. It's called Casa Lunar and it ticked just about every one of our boxes. This was about 4 years ago and its largely developed now but they are just about to open Phase 4 which is going to be more 3 big condos plus some houses. Might be worth considering for yourselves.

Obviously we are biased but we think it is easily the best and nicest development on the coast between Bangkok and Pattaya. Only an hour from the new airport, bit over that into Bangkok, depending on where you want to go, 30 mins from Pattaya so easy to go to either for shopping or restaurants. 15 mins though to Chonburi for the Central Mall, Carrefour, Tesco, Big C, Makro etc. 2 excellent hospitals in Sri Racha, only 10 mins away. We love the style of the building here, far nicer than some of the modern monstrosities you see in other developments. We have a long sandy beach, far nicer than Bang Saen, which was specially created for the development and nicest of all, a 261 metre pier so you can go for a long walk over the water without getting your feet wet! There is also a Club House with a great Infinity Pool and a decent restaurant. Place is very mixed, not just a farang ghetto. We do have British, Belgian, American, Australian, Korean, Japanese, Chinese etc here but probably about two thirds of the people here are Thai, so a good mixture.

Anyway, we love it here and certainly an option worth considering for yourselves in the Phase 4 section, or indeed buying one of the houses already built which are for sale - a few were bought by people for investment rather than living in and I hear there are a dozen or so up for sale at present in Phases 1 to 3. The developer, Benyapha, has a web site www.benyapha.com where you can see some pictures of the estate. Be careful though in that he has another development, called Casa Lunar Arcadia I think, which is inland near the new Central Shopping Mall in Chonburi which is convenient but nowhere near as nice.

Good luck in your searching.

Thanks Arthur, I'll definitely take a look.

I must do a search through the forum - there's bound to be something about it - but I've been reading about pollution issues, air and ground water, around Thailand - and Chon Buri seems pretty badly affected. I'm not keen on escaping the city pollution of Chiang Mai and the March/April rice burnings, for more of the same on the coast. I want my sea breezes to be relatively clean, in as far as that's possible these days...

The air here is about as good as it gets in this part of the world. The sea breeze is nice.

The annual burning makes that dang brown cloud hang over most of Asia. I guess if you went down towards Samui or something, the air would be better? I have seen pretty good days here in Jomtien and some not so good days. All should be well as soon as the rains start!