Tropical Storm To Hit Thailand

webfact

End-March-April to See Temperatures Soar to 43 Degrees Celsius

BANGKOK: -- The Meteorological Department has reported that temperatures in Thailand will reach 43 degrees Celsius at the end of March onwards to April.

March 7-9 will also see a tropical storm hit the country.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-03-03

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Related link to detailed weather forecast for your region: weather.thaivisa.com

...not a lot of detail..where NSEW?? when ?.

although it seems like something is pending judging by the current temps down south..already above 40c in the shade with a very warm breeze on this 'ere mountain ....no significant rain for a couple of months..well water down low and even the papaya trees look a bit sad.

Rubber seems to love it though..green and flowering....

....cannot do anything significant in this heat so....back to my book and another cool one I suppose. :)

Sensationalist & baseless headline to say the least. :)

There's no sign or evidence of impending doom or a "Tropical Storm" hitting Thailand.

I had a look on the TAN/NETWORK website for further info assuming the first post was a snippet of a bigger article, but no the whole report has been quoted in its entirety. Yes all 34 word (ex title)

Heres a link to what must be the "other" thai metrological department - http://www.tmd.go.th/en/index.php

There's not a mention of any tropical storm, there last warning of any kind was on Feb 13th and that was for summer thunder showers.

The last time they tracked any weather of significance was 20th of January.

Where did they get their news info from?

During 3-7 Mar, heat low cell will cover upper Thailand. These causes rising in temperature and hot weather with hazy in the daytime. And During 8-9 Mar, rather intense high pressure area will extend its ridge to cover northeastern Thailand causing summer thunderstorm and starting in the Northeastern before the other.Warning During 8-9 Mar, People in upper Thailand should beware of the curtain from thunderstorm and gusty.

Form the TMD, bold part by myself, high pressure is the exact opposite of a tropical storm.

It's still a BS sensationalist article. In fact the word 'tropical' isn't even on the page. Storm is but only when written with the word thunder as in "thunderstorm".

Tropical Strom? Coming from where, going to where (Thailand is big).

There is even no warning out, and we are 4 days away from the "tropical storm".

Thai Meteo

"And During 8-9 Mar, rather intense high pressure area will extend its ridge to cover northeastern Thailand causing summer thunderstorm and starting in the Northeastern before the other.Warning During 8-9 Mar, People in upper Thailand should beware of the curtain from thunderstorm and gusty. "

So it is not a tropical storm or depression but the usual summer thunderstorms which occur at the start end end of the dry season.

:-)

The information is posted on the Thai Meteorological Department web site

http://www.tmd.go.th/EN/7-day_forecast.php

Northern Part Hot weather and haze in day-time, maximum temperature 35-39oC. Cold in the upper portion, minimum temperature 16-19oC. During 8-9 Mar, isolated to widely scattered thundershower with gust. Light winds 6-12 km/hr. Northeastern Part Hot weather and haze in the daytime, maximum temperature 36-39oC and isolated thundershower. During 8-9 Mar, widely to scattered thundershowers with gust. Southerly winds 10-30 km/hr.

Central Part Hot weather and haze in the daytime, maximum temperature 36-39oC. During 8-9 Mar, isolated to widely scattered thundershowers with gust. Southerly winds 10-30 km/hr

Eastern Part Hot weather in the upper portion and haze in the day time, maximum temperature 35-38oC. And during 8-9 Mar, isolated to widely scattered thundershowers and gust. Southeasterly winds 15-30 km/hr. Wave height about 1 meter.

Southern Part (East Coast) Partly cloudy and isolated thundershowers. Easterly winds 15-30 km./hr. wave height about 1 meter. During 9 Mar, widely scattered thundershower. Easterly winds 20-35 km./hr. wave height about 2 meters in the lower portion Gulf. Southern Part (West Coast) Partly cloudy and isolated thundershowers. Easterly winds 15-30 km./hr. Wave height about 1 meter. During 9 Mar, widely scattered thundershower. Easterly winds 15-35 km./hr. wave height 1-2 meters. Metropolitan Hot weather and haze in daytime, maximum temperature 35-37oC. And during 8-9 Mar, isolated to widely scattered thundershower and gust. Southerly winds 10-30 km/hr.

like with anything the quality in thailand is usually lower... also with the weatherforecast

enjoy....

that's not correct. the forecasts from Thai Meteorological Department for the Pattaya area are quite precise.

And the more sensationalist headlines we get on tv, the more people will be inclined to head elsewhere for their news.  Ever heard the story about the boy who cried wolf.......

Still waiting in chiang mai for the call to arms by redshirts last week.

Do you want the Sun or the Guardian for your news?

I sure hope it pours soon. I will get my neighbor to let me hook up his borehole electricity & start consuming larger amounts for our trees & crops soon if this continues. For sure when we start the house if it doesn't do something in the rain dept. I will be using the borehole. The well is adequate but it will be limping in April if it doesn't pour soon to raise the water level. :)

Sensationalist & baseless headline to say the least. :)

There's no sign or evidence of impending doom or a "Tropical Storm" hitting Thailand.

I had a look on the TAN/NETWORK website for further info assuming the first post was a snippet of a bigger article, but no the whole report has been quoted in its entirety. Yes all 34 word (ex title)

Heres a link to what must be the "other" thai metrological department - http://www.tmd.go.th/en/index.php

There's not a mention of any tropical storm, there last warning of any kind was on Feb 13th and that was for summer thunder showers.

The last time they tracked any weather of significance was 20th of January.

Where did they get their news info from?

Is there someone in Thaivisa responsible for checking out the accuracy of these News Clippings. This is not the first time we have this misinformation.

I'm in the habit now of checking all news items from independent sources.

Come on Thaivisa, you can do better.

caf

one post bordering libel deleted

one nonsensical post deleted

one off-topic post deleted

If you have a complain regarding a news clipping which has been republished, please complain to

the news source which is stated in the OP.

Thank you

Now thats very clever, predicting a tropical storm before it has formed-brilliant

I have no background to criticize or compliment the Thai meteorological office. However, internationally, most storm systems are predicted before they actually form, and rather accurately.

For example, in the States, current weather conditions from around the world are analyzed by computers, and the probabilities of certain weather events is predicted based on how those current conditions match many years of other records.

Discussion of moderation in public is not allowed per forum rules

21) Not to discuss moderation publicly in the open forum; this includes individual actions, and specific or general policies and issues. You may send a PM to a moderator to discuss individual actions or email support (at) thaivisa.com to discuss moderation policy

2 posts deleted.

I wonder why it is called a weather "forecast" on the TMD website?

Could it be because they (like meteorological departments all around the world) are in the business of predicting future weather, based on current indicators?

Just another opportunity for the ignorant and uninformed to slag-off Thailand, with the usual lack of analysis or even thought. I can just imagine the howls on here if there was a destructive storm, for which the TMD decided not to issue a forecast, or the news networks decided not to report, based on the whinging feedback they might get from TV's finest.

Should the "predicted" storm duly occur, there will be a number of posters with a lot of egg on face.

Does anyone think they will revisit this thread, and recant their dismal musings? :) Not bl00dy likely.

Some of you really ought to be elsewhere. :D

I wonder why it is called a weather "forecast" on the TMD website?

Could it be because they (like meteorological departments all around the world) are in the business of predicting future weather, based on current indicators?

Just another opportunity for the ignorant and uninformed to slag-off Thailand, with the usual lack of analysis or even thought. I can just imagine the howls on here if there was a destructive storm, for which the TMD decided not to issue a forecast, or the news networks decided not to report, based on the whinging feedback they might get from TV's finest.

Should the "predicted" storm duly occur, there will be a number of posters with a lot of egg on face.

Does anyone think they will revisit this thread, and recant their dismal musings? :) Not bl00dy likely.

Some of you really ought to be elsewhere. :D

I promise to come back and will apologize if there is a tropical storm on the dates implied ok?

However I doubt very much that there will be a need. Just do a little research on current and historical weather for this part of the world, then take a look at the synoptic charts available on TMD website. The chance of a 'Tropical Storm' hitting Thailand on the dates specified in the original report are less than zero. You can follow up as well with the NOAA websites as well as the JTWC sites.

Have a look at the weather sites I've mentioned.

http://www.usno.navy.mil/++contextportlets...-feed/full_feed

http://www.usno.navy.mil/JTWC

Still think its ignorant and uninformed?