The New Bike Finally Arrived

Congrats, Richard - she is awesome. The sound is even better and the mid range powerband so spectacular that those who only know Japanese fours won't believe it.

Make sure to warm up the oil before you go fast - and break her in gently ("not over 5,000 rpm" my mechanic warned me).

Would be nice to get an audio file - I want to hear that glorious engine...

Chris

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Ducati 1198S is actually almost the same size as the Monster 696.

Ducati Monster 696

wheelbase 1450mm

dry weight 161kg

Ducati 1198S

wheelbase 1430mm

dry weight 169kg

The 1198S seat-height is 44mm higher then the Honda CBR150. The in difference in weight is the Monster 696 is air-cooled and the 1198S is liquid-cooled. Also the extra electronics for the DDA and DTC are probably counting for some weight.

The 1198S is actually easier to ride than the Monster 696 the DTC (Ducati Traction Control) makes it almost impossible to do anything wrong.

OK - I've changed my mind. How many hp?

Congrats, Richard - she is awesome. The sound is even better and the mid range powerband so spectacular that those who only know Japanese fours won't believe it.

Make sure to warm up the oil before you go fast - and break her in gently ("not over 5,000 rpm" my mechanic warned me).

Would be nice to get an audio file - I want to hear that glorious engine...

Chris

here is a video with audio of the engine sounds...

hot bike, i would be tempted to go faster than necessary

The 1198S costs just a few thousand less then 1.6 million

Jesus H Christ! Insane price.

:)

Well, look at it this way. A hand-built Italian work-of art (and imo that bike is a work of art) will hardly depreciate compared to a mass-produced Jap bike. Just take a look at the prices of the used bikes on Ducati Thailand's website. Can't you just be pleased for the guy instead of making borish comments?

So, do you have anything positive to add to this thread?

Well, look at it this way. A hand-built Italian work-of art (and imo that bike is a work of art) will hardly depreciate compared to a mass-produced Jap bike. Just take a look at the prices of the used bikes on Ducati Thailand's website. Can't you just be pleased for the guy instead of making borish comments?

Yes, it's insane!

Ducati is overhyped, overpriced here in Thailand. IMO.

Paying for a work of art is fine, if you need to add to an art collection.

Let face it. Ducati ain't happy being trapped in this hot climate, stranded in a Bkk jam. With the rider's knuckle white with fear, for some Somchai to scratch this 1.6mn Baht beauty.

How many Ducati do you see with a decent amount of mileage that correlate to regular use of the bike?

As for second hand Dukes being so expensive. Why bother? Just buy new. As the warranty itself is probably worth more than the bike. :D

Good for the OP to have one. Hope he enjoys it. (regularly)

I would not mind one myself. But not at this price and not here.

Just could not imagine scraping my knee puck on a 1.6mn Baht bike. Will be too frightened to do that.

So I say with the high price in mind, kinda put a brake on the joy of riding a Ducati in the Land of Smiles.

The ducati 1198s is a great bike & a piece of art i agree on that, as long as it is not ridden as those guy's mentioned on this thread: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Ducati-Chonb...55#entry3329555

It's never the bike -but the rider that makes a difference....a combination of both being in great shape is obviously best :-)

For me a ducati is a bit of the ferrari in cars. Lot of passion, temper and speed...outlive all that...but do the speeds only on areas that are safe to speed on.

Richard , hope you have some great riding on it and please let us know how it does on longer rides,

patcat

Since I have already said the bike is absolutely stunning, I dare to say depriciation probably is one Ninja 650R just for leaving the showroom with this 1,6 mill baht beauty :D

Very nice! As a twin fan I am sure it will be a lot of fun!! I just picked up a set of the SuperCorsas the other day for my friends 400 track bike which I hope I will get some time on, they look to be very sticky!!

I think the owner should be given a round of applause for having the guts to spend the money on such a bike.

How much for a new Merc or Bmw etc?

If you love your bikes ,, why not?

And it sure is a lovely bike.......well done Richard.

I think the owner should be given a round of applause for having the guts to spend the money on such a bike.

absoluty agree....he spent this amount of money because it is worth that much to him. But to be honest , he never mentioned anywhere that it is his bike...he just mentioned that it is the new ducati 1198s...maybe he can clarify that he actually bought it for the price he listed?

but what a fine bike...love the italian for those bikes,

patcat

Well, look at it this way. A hand-built Italian work-of art (and imo that bike is a work of art) will hardly depreciate compared to a mass-produced Jap bike.

Dunno the mid 3xx,xxx price for a 02 998 seemed fairly depreciated !!

My thoughts too...If you are serious enthusiast and into high quality bikes or cars you won't rest until obtaining one.

Hi Richard, I would imagine the Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa SP is the perfect tire for the bike. My local Honda dealer is also a Ducati dealer and while I was waiting yesterday I had a good look at all the Dukes....and they do look impressive! One looked at first like an early 80's bike, but it was brand new with lots of good bits.

keep us informed on how she is going. :)

First of all, Richard and I have rarely seen eye to eye...but to all you nay-sayers, did you not read the post where he said he had a 1098, sold it and financed the rest of the bike with a promise to the bank manager that he'd get a ride?

But I do agree with some of y'all...that's a lot of green for a bike in a country like Siam. Can't really say that I know where I'd ride it (other than at the track) and it would be a shame to subject it to BKK traffic...unless you're overcompensating.

None-the-less, congrats Richard, I'm a bit jealous...can't justify the cost although if I could I'd get one....

Good bike, I think you made the right move in getting the S version. I've ridden both and hopefully you will also appreciate the superior suspension and wheels.

Any good places to ride around BKK? Or is it Bira time?

The 1198S costs just a few thousand less then 1.6 million, but lucky I sold my previous bike so that made it easier. Also I promised the bank manager that he could borrow the bike for a weekend, so financing was no problem :):D:D

I feel sorry for you Thailand guys. I will save you the tears and not tell you how much these bikes go for in the US.

I feel sorry for you Thailand guys. I will save you the tears and not tell you how much these bikes go for in the US.

Sadly, we already know.

We take some comfort, little, but some, in the fact that occasionally we get an expat living in another country coming on TV telling us how in his adopted country, such bikes are actually more expensive than in Thailand.

Yes, it's insane!

Ducati is overhyped, overpriced here in Thailand. IMO.

I don't think anyone would disagree that Ducatis are overpriced in Thailand. So, (to a lesser degree) are Triumph's, new R1's and CBR100RR's. TIT, you want to play, you gotta pay. As to being overhyped, opinions vary but given Ducatis racing pedigree, I'd disagree.
Let face it. Ducati ain't happy being trapped in this hot climate, stranded in a Bkk jam. With the rider's knuckle white with fear, for some Somchai to scratch this 1.6mn Baht beauty.
What big bike is happy trapped in a BKK traffic jam? But wouldn't any rider worry about his brand new big bike, whatever the make? Anyway, that's what 1st class insurance is for. :D
How many Ducati do you see with a decent amount of mileage that correlate to regular use of the bike?
Well, first I really don't see that many Ducatis and the ones I do see, I don't really go around checking their mileage. Do you? I've done almost 17,000 klms on mine over about 14/15 months. Is that enough for your standards? :)
Was it this one?

thaivisa_edit.jpg

:D

Edited by RusticCharm

We take some comfort, little, but some, in the fact that occasionally we get an expat living in another country coming on TV telling us how in his adopted country, such bikes are actually more expensive than in Thailand.
Ducatis are around 200,000 Baht more expensive in Malaysia than in LOS. Edited by RusticCharm

Ducatis are around 200,000 Baht more expensive in Malaysia than in LOS.

That is what I was thinking but I couldn't remember which country for sure. IIRC there was also someone talking about them being more expensive in The Philippines and a country in the middle east somewhere. Saudi Arabia or Egypt maybe.

Yet, Singapore - country with one of the most expensive cars in the world has cheapest big bikes in the region.

Another paradox: Indonesia, one of the poorest countries has extremely expensive bikes. I have a friend who lives down there, bought 2009 Hayabusa for equivalent of 1.3-1.4 mil baht and you can get that here for half of the amount.

I bought a 5 month old Street Triple R here in Singapore last year for the equivalent of 420,000 baht.

I,m a Triumpth man myself ,got a 2007 America and got a Triumpth speed triple S.E. coming 1st April, Ducati bikes are beautifull machines , They,ve got pedigree , Maybe I,d be tempted in couple yrs time when Triple,s paid for , Def not be Jap , every 2-3 yrs get fresh wheels . :)

Was it this one?

thaivisa_edit.jpg

No it was the one being sold by a well known member for MONTHS on GT-R..

Personally I am not so sportbike focused but it looked highly desirable at a reasonable price.

Was it this one?

thaivisa_edit.jpg

:D

No it was the one being sold by a well known member for MONTHS on GT-R..

Personally I am not so sportbike focused but it looked highly desirable at a reasonable price.

Now that's what you call a fart! :)