Another One Bites The Dust Part 2

gotlost

I'm glad that you also like our style of biscuit. Fresh ones are really out of this world. The best scones that I have ever had was at that "ancient" English restaurant in Chiang Mai a few years ago with homemade jam and clotted cream. I miss that place!

http://www.joyofbaking.com/Biscuits.html

Joy is clearly confused about her nationality !! :)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm the husband of the owner of Butter is Better. We did not buy out Bake and Bite. I wish we had access to the kind of cash that would take.But if we did we would probably just pursue baking as an extravagant hobby. Gai just wanted to focus on her new larger restaurant. Butter is Better is now occupying Bake and Bite's old site.

I stand corrected on you not buying out Bake and Bite, my apologies. I've enjoyed your products at Rimping, especially the chocolate pudding. Wish you much success at your new location.

I believe Gai wants to keep the Bake and Bite's Neimenhamen location open, it's doing good business now.

Edited by prism

The good thing about a real bakery is that you will get more time to spend with your kids. Bakeries are done by 3 in the afternoon, just when the kids are getting home from school. Evenings are free to do the family thing and to get out and about.

The good thing about a real bakery is that you will get more time to spend with your kids. Bakeries are done by 3 in the afternoon, just when the kids are getting home from school. Evenings are free to do the family thing and to get out and about.

I guess for the time being we'll just continue being poseurs.

Whoa, can we go back to the part about "blintzes"?

I was bummed out last Saturday when I read the sign about closure at the Chang Klan Bake N Bite. The new one is just too far for us song thaew riders. This thread caught my interest -- "ah, a potential Saturday morning replacement" I though. But then there was that magic word "blintzes". Haven't had one for years. Is the new Butter is Better open yet? I'm feeling better already.

Art Cafe also has great breakfasts and blintzes, buttermilk pancakes, waffles and much more. I am looking forward to checking out Better with Butter though. Is it fully operating yet?

Art Cafe also has great breakfasts and blintzes, buttermilk pancakes, waffles and much more. I am looking forward to checking out Better with Butter though. Is it fully operating yet?

I'm hoping that Butter is Better breakfast is just as good as Bake & Bites. Bake & Bites breakfast IMO was definitely far superior to Arts. If this does not happen its going to mean that a Yank has to go back to the Brits for a decent breakfast, aka, Mad Dogs. :)

Don't know about Bake and Bite. Butter is Better hours are 8-5 Mondays to Saturdays. Closed Sundays.

Bake and Bite : I'd like to hazard an educated guess and hope not to be proved wildly off the mark ; 6.30am till 3.30pm.

Edited by Asmerom

I wish them luck (Bake and Bite) but don't fancy their chances when you almost need a GPS to find them

Oh come on. You don't need a GPS to find them. They have made it very easy by putting up large yellow signs everywhere.

No need to bet on the chances of their success or to wish them luck. (Although everyone could use some good luck these days. :) ) The place is always packed with customers! In fact I was there the other day and had to take my food to go because there were no tables available.

I'm hoping that Butter is Better breakfast is just as good as Bake & Bites. Bake & Bites breakfast IMO was definitely far superior to Arts.

I like both places, but, IMHO, Art Cafe has much better Eggs Benedict, fried potatoes, cinnamon buns, buttermilk pancakes (Bake and Bite does not use buttermilk in the pancakes) while Bake and Bite has better buttermilk biscuits, better bacon (some of the best in town) and their sandwiches and lunch items are mostly preferable in my opinion.

The new one is just too far for us song thaew riders.

" JUST TOO FAR" !! ; Less than 1km over the River and you think you're in no man's land!! I've seen many a song thaew lurching into the garden, as well as cars, motorcycles, bicycles and even people who walk. Good Grief. Its clearly a very successful enterprise and well patronised. It doesn't need any luck and it doesn't need a GPS. Just a good appetite and the willingness to cross the River. You may have to dodge a few well aimed poisoned arrows from the jungle inhabitants, avoid the croc infested swamps, and wear snake proof boots, but other than that, its plain sailing. If you survive the journey you won't be disappointed.Good Luck

Edited by Asmerom

I'm hoping that Butter is Better breakfast is just as good as Bake & Bites. Bake & Bites breakfast IMO was definitely far superior to Arts.

I like both places, but, IMHO, Art Cafe has much better Eggs Benedict, fried potatoes, cinnamon buns, buttermilk pancakes (Bake and Bite does not use buttermilk in the pancakes) while Bake and Bite has better buttermilk biscuits, better bacon (some of the best in town) and their sandwiches and lunch items are mostly preferable in my opinion.

The only knock on Bake & Bit their bacon it is so salty it has to be cured in the Salton Sea.

Arts sausage patties are tasteless and the potato pancakes are like wet cardboard. Arts does excellent pancakes and Bake&Bite great lunches.

Most Americans seem to prefer Art Cafe's sausage as it is something like Jimmy Dean brand and I agree on the bacon, but it is so good that I don't mind the salt. :)

This is one American that fells that Bake&Bite is more like Jimmy Dean. JD sausage has zing. Arts has fizzle. :D

Starting on Friday March 5 Butter is Better will be offering an all day breakfast menu. The menu will be smaller at first, but expand gradually. We're trying to keep a tight lid on quality control. The lunch menu will be launched on March 12.

Anyway, if you ask me, a diet of pastries, pies, and cake is good for whatever ails you. Who needs protein and green leafy things anyway?

I could do with some advice here! We, at The Olde Bell have been doing British/Australian breakfasts for nearly 4 years now and I think we've almost got them right! About a year ago we started continental breakfasts and have the croissnats and the mueslis and the cheeses and the cold meats and olives etc. But now you guys are posting a whole heap of things that mark out a good American breakfast. Can anyone give me a few pointers as to what essential ingredients mark out a really good American breakfast from a British or Australian breakfast?

Bake and Bites spice mix was originally supplied to them by a lady named Alice. It was a good American breakfast spice mix that had sage as its main ingredient. I think I still have a package around here. Alice used to say that they, Bake and Bite, added onion to the sausage. She's been gone for a while now, living in the US, so I'm not sure if she gave them the recipe or what they are doing. There is no secret to good breakfast sausage. There many recipes all over the internet. The real secret is in the amount of fat that is added to the mix. Sausage has fat. Sage is the main spice. Thyme is good, as in the original MC Donalds sausage.

It's interesting that Bake and Bite has decided to live from the new location. Maybe a good idea and it sounds like they are busy.

Real Bakery= No.

Butter is Better

It sounds like the Butter is Better people, are making the same mistakes.

Good Luck.

Bake and Bites spice mix was originally supplied to them by a lady named Alice. It was a good American breakfast spice mix that had sage as its main ingredient. I think I still have a package around here. Alice used to say that they, Bake and Bite, added onion to the sausage. She's been gone for a while now, living in the US, so I'm not sure if she gave them the recipe or what they are doing. There is no secret to good breakfast sausage. There many recipes all over the internet. The real secret is in the amount of fat that is added to the mix. Sausage has fat. Sage is the main spice. Thyme is good, as in the original MC Donalds sausage.

It's interesting that Bake and Bite has decided to live from the new location. Maybe a good idea and it sounds like they are busy.

Real Bakery= No.

Butter is Better

It sounds like the Butter is Better people, are making the same mistakes.

Good Luck.

Re: Real Bakery = No.

What does that mean?

Don't know about Bake and Bite. Butter is Better hours are 8-5 Mondays to Saturdays. Closed Sundays.

Bake and Bite : I'd like to hazard an educated guess and hope not to be proved wildly off the mark ; 6.30am till 3.30pm.

If they have a big garden restaurant, it seems kind of daft to close at 3:30

Bake and Bite moved to a new location. It is not out of business.

yes and just like the last thread of another one bites the dust was rubbish!{piggy's} people should really find out whats going on before they jump the gun! :)

It woke you up. :D Now you can go back to sleep :D

Starting on Friday March 5 Butter is Better will be offering an all day breakfast menu. The menu will be smaller at first, but expand gradually. We're trying to keep a tight lid on quality control. The lunch menu will be launched on March 12.

Anyway, if you ask me, a diet of pastries, pies, and cake is good for whatever ails you. Who needs protein and green leafy things anyway?

I can'y wait! Hury up! :)

I don't believe that they live at that location. I asked Gai's husband? and he told me that it is not their home and that they do not live there. But it really doesn't matter if they do or not does it.

Edited by elektrified

Maybe it's just me but it's great to read a thread about local businesses that is positive and doesn't include the obligatory negative bile from one or two losers.

:)

Loaded if you read the thread again you will see that one poster seems to be particularly critical of Butter is Better.

I have bought things from the Rimping Butter is Better many times and found it to be consistently good. The girl who owns it is really nice and friendly as well. I wish her and her family the best of luck on the new venture. (I do hope that they will offer good European style bread which is always one thing I can never find in C.M.)

I am quite good friends with both the owner of Bake & Bite and the owners of Butter is Better. They are both very good and they each have their strong suits.

Khun Gai (Bake & Bite) wanted to sell Chang Klan. Butter is Better bought it. Khun Gai is happy.

Bake & Bite opened a beautiful new location last year. It's near Floral Condo.

I have never heard Butter is Better say they make anything better than Bake & Bite and vice versa.

Khun Gai is not married so you did not ask her husband anything.

Bake & Bite Nimmanheiman Soi 6 is NOT closing.

Is Chiang Mai not big enough for both?????