Racism In Thailand. Does The Goverment See It As A Problem

ongoing

The bottom line is no matter how many excuses some farangs look for, 70 - 80 % of thai people are racist. Yes there is racism in very country but most countrys with racism try to do something about it.

Racism at football games in Spain and Italy. The clubs get fines and have to play a couple of matches behind closed doors. But more import is that the countrys admit that have racism problems and try to do something about it ( even if nopt always successful ) .

The UK and USA had big Race problems a couple of decades ago. They have been successful in getting rid of most of it. Yes racism is still there but no where near as bad.

In Thailand ( which must be one of the most racist countrys in the world today ) they dont admit they have racism problems and they try to do nothing about it . Alot of Thai's even seem proud of farang bashing.

They even have some Farangs defending Racism towards Farangs here :) . It is a mess at the moment . Lets hope they sort it out before its to late. But i am not holding my breath

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes, this racism is also colored by what people call Nationalism. The kind where people say, "My country is better than your country". If you count that as racism - just imagine how the locals treat their neighbors - the Burmese, Laos and Cambodians.

Sometimes, this racism is also colored by what people call Nationalism. The kind where people say, "My country is better than your country". If you count that as racism - just imagine how the locals treat their neighbors - the Burmese, Laos and Cambodians.

We Aussies aint racist mate.

We Aussies aint racist mate.

Indian Curry any one

Thai culture is based on who is superior to who, I doubt they see it as a problem and highly doubt they are trying to change it. One of the reasons I like it here. I don't have a problem with a culture that finds light skin and being smarter and richer than the other guy a good thing. Most so called racism comes from some groups poor behavior, am I a racist because I don't respond to Nigerian emails ? No Am I am racist if I think everyone from Nigeria is an internet thief ? Yes .... But people make their beds and have to sleep in them. If tourists had a good reputation for behaving themselves well people would think accordingly, but they don't. I am not offended if a Thai person who deals with drunken sex tourists on a daily basis isn't so willing or interested to find out if I am another one or not, it's an understandable response to a long pattern of behavior from Farangs. I didn't cause it, I'm not part of it and maybe it's a little unfair, but it would be even more unfair to expect or demand people not to be a little guarded when someone fitting the profile of a less then exemplary citizen comes along. My advice to stop racism in Thailand would be for tourists to learn to behave themselves well, before complaining about the way they are treated. I hope the world never becomes so PC that Thai people are pressured not to be racist to white people standing in Nana Plaza or similar places.

I just saw an invite on Facebook to join the group... 'England's Full so F$%K off' - That doesn't represent my thoughts or many of my friends, nonetheless I feel that should be dealt with.

Racism in Thailand - Yes, I agree it exists in some form or other.

However, is it not 'groupism' - In that we as 'non Thai's' can be easily identified as such and boxed into a different category.

Sometimes this boxing or categorization works for us, sometimes it works against us.

I'm not sure its Racism and I call it 'groupism' because as a group each individual race and even nationality are often boxed / categorized and tarred by the same brush as the lowest common denominator...

We are often judged at the lower level of those who have passed before us.

SO... With this in mind, I'm not sure what there is to stop.

Edited by richard_smith237

I'm not sure its Racism and I call it 'groupism' because as a group each individual race and even nationality are often boxed / categorized and tarred by the same brush as the lowest common denominator...

Errrm. I think that you have just given the definition of racism Richard, you have just re-named it.

Personally, having been subjected to racism in the States, and having my family been subjected to SERIOUS racism for centuries (my Grandfather's Uncle was a Slave in the US), living in Thailand is great.

Yeah yeah I know about the "Black Man" Mops and the old Herbal Tooth paste commercial and what not. But as far as how I am treated on a individual level, it's great. I love it and, in 9 years of being here, I have never been subjected to any racism here in Thailand for being black other than what has come from White tourists or expats here.

Now that being said, I do get the same double pricking racism bit that everyone that can't pass as Thai gets when they come here. And that shit has to stop, I really wish them all the ill and malice they can receive for ripping off people based on the color of their passports.

But that stuff I have work arounds for and I can deal with that.

But at least I don't have to deal with the, "I wanna lynch you because your black and your sub human" type racism that was really prevalent in the States back in the day.

Yes, of course there is racism; work on a level with a group of Thais and you'll soon find out (they even think their English is better than mine... because they're Thai!). But why worry? We (the British) were as racist as anyone for generations, and now it's their turn. Live and let live, and you won't suffer much from it.

(After all, we are, you know we are... superior.)

Edited by isanbirder

Personally, having been subjected to racism in the States, and having my family been subjected to SERIOUS racism for centuries (my Grandfather's Uncle was a Slave in the US), living in Thailand is great.

Yeah yeah I know about the "Black Man" Mops and the old Herbal Tooth paste commercial and what not. But as far as how I am treated on a individual level, it's great. I love it and, in 9 years of being here, I have never been subjected to any racism here in Thailand for being black other than what has come from White tourists or expats here.

Now that being said, I do get the same double pricking racism bit that everyone that can't pass as Thai gets when they come here. And that shit has to stop, I really wish them all the ill and malice they can receive for ripping off people based on the color of their passports.

But that stuff I have work arounds for and I can deal with that.

But at least I don't have to deal with the, "I wanna lynch you because your black and your sub human" type racism that was really prevalent in the States back in the day.

God on you . The attitude that anyone should be judged by color or race in general makes me sick, we all have the same red blood in our vains & no-one should be clumped into a group due to the color of skin. if the world were just a little color blind it would be a nicer place to live, I agree that Thailand does give latitude to skin color & in that capacity they are better for it.

Errrm. I think that you have just given the definition of racism Richard, you have just re-named it.

Yep, Ok, reading back through my points I see what you mean. However, the type of 'groupism' I'm referring to occurs between football teams, Mod's vs rockers, sporties vs nerds etc etc... colour is not part of it.

In society it seems to me that people with certain traits will group together and find something they dislike about another group displaying other traits. These traits can be physical; Colour / Ethnicity - Racism, but in Thailand being singled out by race often has advantages, hence my suggestion that in Thailand I don't think its Racism when dealing specifically with foreigners, its more to do with simply 'not being Thai' which puts us in either a positive or negative light, depending on the situation.

Point in hand. After a car accident a few years ago where I was turning right and a car tried to over take me and struck me. The policeman believed me that I was indicating simply because I am British and we have a higher standard of driving and driving education. But on the same day I may have been charged more at the market simply because I am not Thai.

So, IMO because its so hit and miss, I don't feel that I am ever at a disadvantage here because of my skin colour and I don't feel that others are either. However, I do think that it may be easy for some non-Thai's to play the race card because they have not tried to look any deeper.

A good post, spot on.

My advice to stop racism in Thailand would be for tourists to learn to behave themselves well, before complaining about the way they are treated. I hope the world never becomes so PC that Thai people are pressured not to be racist to white people standing in Nana Plaza or similar places.

My advice to stop racism in Thailand would be for tourists to learn to behave themselves well, before complaining about the way they are treated. I hope the world never becomes so PC that Thai people are pressured not to be racist to white people standing in Nana Plaza or similar places.

How right you are. It sickens me me to see farangs of all countries coming her and behaving abominably just because they have a wallet stuffed full of baht.mad.gif

I could very easily switch Sweden with Thailand. It seems to be an immigrant thing around the world.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Submitted by Immigrant in Sweden (Sweden), Mar 7, 2009 at 18:05

I lived in several European countries and that gave me a good knowledge that makes me able to compare racism and discrimination in these countries. Unfortunately I don´t know much about racism in Denmark but I can speak about Sweden.

Sweden is the most racist and cynical European country. A humane country on the books given the numbers of refugees Sweden has taken in but one has to consider the interests behind any Swedish action for what Sweden gives with one hand it takes away with the other. They do not let refugees in because they are generous and nice guys.

Swedes are unable to accept others "as equal". Swedes are xenophobes who are completely convinced that their country is the best in the world.

Sweden is a country of racism and intolerance.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: www.danielpipes.org/comments/151832

Edited by twschw

You'd maybe get a different view on racism in Thailand from a Southern provinces Malay Thai citizen, or from Burmese, Indians, Africans.

Taking advantage of tourists and having contempt for tourists is not unique to Thailand, and as others have mentioned, many expats behave like tourists here and are thus so grouped. In order to assess whether Thais' treatment of tourists was racist, you would need to compare and contrast treatment of caucasians, negroes and orientals who were otherwise similar.

SC

Ever watch a Thai soap when a hill tribe person is involved. They are usually portrayed as ugly and stupid, and the always play the fool.

I consider that racist. I have also seen plenty of examples of how my wife, who has a western degree, is treated by Thais that know she is hill tribe. It is very similar to the attitudes in Canada 40 years ago. But she just lets it slide on by, she prefers to be the bigger person.

Edited by canuckamuck

Most of the accusations of racism against Thais are rooted in double pricing.

This is not racism, its business. Charging what you think the customer is able to pay. Many Western businesses operate in a similar way but the problem with the way its done in Thailand is that its so overt that people find out and it pisses them off. This does Thailand no favors at all and should stop but its not a race issue at all.

The attitude of many Thai people in Bangkok towards people from Issan is far worse than Thai towards Farang.

...In Thailand ( which must be one of the most racist countrys in the world today )...

Winner of the most wildly unsupported claim of the day. For Europeans and Americans, as others have said, claims of racism seem to originate largely in the fact that you pay 200 baht to get into national parks. Whilst that's undoubtedly a pain in the arse, it doesn't make you Stephen Lawrence.

Edited by HS Mauberley

In answer to the question asked in the title...the Thai government see it as a Godsend, apart form anything else, i would guess

Keep all the Thai citizens thinking they should feel superior to non-Thais, while they (the government, and the people who they work for) keep them downtrodden, badly educated, and ignorant as to whats REALLY going on in their country.

Penkoprod

Thai culture is based on who is superior to who, I doubt they see it as a problem and highly doubt they are trying to change it. One of the reasons I like it here. I don't have a problem with a culture that finds light skin and being smarter and richer than the other guy a good thing. Most so called racism comes from some groups poor behavior, am I a racist because I don't respond to Nigerian emails ? No Am I am racist if I think everyone from Nigeria is an internet thief ? Yes .... But people make their beds and have to sleep in them. If tourists had a good reputation for behaving themselves well people would think accordingly, but they don't. I am not offended if a Thai person who deals with drunken sex tourists on a daily basis isn't so willing or interested to find out if I am another one or not, it's an understandable response to a long pattern of behavior from Farangs. I didn't cause it, I'm not part of it and maybe it's a little unfair, but it would be even more unfair to expect or demand people not to be a little guarded when someone fitting the profile of a less then exemplary citizen comes along. My advice to stop racism in Thailand would be for tourists to learn to behave themselves well, before complaining about the way they are treated. I hope the world never becomes so PC that Thai people are pressured not to be racist to white people standing in Nana Plaza or similar places.

To a large degree, I tend to agree with you. In many visits to Thailand I remember getting off the plane in Bangkok and thinking that at least some of those Thais are assuming I'm another overweight, balding, western sex tourist here for a fling. Now that I retired here, I feel the same way when I get off the Skytrain at Nana...to go to Bumrungrad Hospital.

I think your identification of it as nationalism is much closer to reality.

However, is it not 'groupism' - In that we as 'non Thai's' can be easily identified as such and boxed into a different category.

Sometimes this boxing or categorization works for us, sometimes it works against us.

SO... With this in mind, I'm not sure what there is to stop.

Good points. And you're correct, sometimes it works in our favor. Upon moving here, my Thai partner and I both got "member cards" at one of the major department stores. My card said "expatriate", and my Thai partner asked what was the real difference between the cards of an expat and a Thai. The Thai clerk responded that the expats got additional benefits over Thai benefits, and named several. My Thai partner said, "That's not fair to Thais." I just smiled.

Yes, of course there is racism; work on a level with a group of Thais and you'll soon find out (they even think their English is better than mine... because they're Thai!). But why worry? We (the British) were as racist as anyone for generations, and now it's their turn. Live and let live, and you won't suffer much from it.

(After all, we are, you know we are... superior.)

It's refreshing to see a Brit who recognizes some historical issues, and I sincerely mean that. And of course, I know that you agree that my American English is better than your British English, guvner! :)

I really identify with your comment about Thais even thinking their English is better than mine. Just yesterday I asked my Thai language tutor if there was a Thai word for computer. "Yes," she said. "Cum-pu-TERR". A couple of weeks ago a major store at Fortune Center insisted (for a while) that I needed my passport to buy a laptop cum-pu-TERR. In the end after it was all settled in my favor (because I was very politely intransigent about the issue), one assistant manager said the confusion was because, "You no speak good Angrish." Well, after being good-natured about the whole thing up that point, that popped my cork. I stood up and pointed to him and said, "No! English is my native language and I've been speaking and writing it for 60 years. You are the one who cannot speak proper English...not Angrish."

Racism is currently definitely not the biggest problem in Thailand.

The UK and USA had big Race problems a couple of decades ago. They have been successful in getting rid of most of it. Yes racism is still there but no where near as bad.

The UK still has them - the problem is too much immigrants. Many brits do not feel at home in their own neighborhood anymore.

Belgium and France have big problems.

The USA managed more or less to build a nation with common values, bridging the differences, which are mainly skin color.

In Europe, we are blessed with many immigrants who reject our way of life and will not share values with us.

You'd maybe get a different view on racism in Thailand from a Southern provinces Malay Thai citizen, or from Burmese, Indians, Africans.

Taking advantage of tourists and having contempt for tourists is not unique to Thailand, and as others have mentioned, many expats behave like tourists here and are thus so grouped. In order to assess whether Thais' treatment of tourists was racist, you would need to compare and contrast treatment of caucasians, negroes and orientals who were otherwise similar.

I think your comment about Thai Muslims, for example, is a valid one. I will comment on that, but I want to preface my comments by saying that they are based on some conversations that took place well over a decade ago. Even before that I had spent a month driving through Malaysia. In Penang I spent several evenings at a major shopping center there...a good place to eat and shop. Twice I was befriended by Indian families who wanted to chat. The topic was the racist attitude of the bhumiputra. They could tick off very specific complaints -- for example, a ratio of good jobs that were reserved for only ethnic Malays.

Several years later I spent a month down in far southern Thailand. A few Muslims chatted with me and were quite happy to complain about the Bangkok government being far away and not understanding them. But aside from such rather vague notions, and except for saying the Bangkok government didn't respect Islam, they couldn't enumerate any specific complaints.

Now, let me say again, my experiences were hardly conclusive...after all, in each case they were based on a couple of conversations. And, the trip to far-southern Thailand was before the latest wave of unrest.

Oh, and I'll close with an experience when I went to visit a small mosque in southern Thailand. There was a sign at the door: "Non Muslims may not enter. But you may give money." :)

Racism in the U.S. has been addressed, in your dreams ,Racism is at a new phase in the US ,just yesterday I was reading about the racist acts and anti- racist demonstrations in California Universities, the rising tide of Nazi and White power presences in anti-immigration demonstrations in the U.S.

Falangs see racism as they feel they earn the right to be treated with respect without giving respect, and most falangs "holier than thou attitude". The only reason you feel discriminated against is the treatment you perceive you receive here is directed at you, the same treatment you treat others different than you in your home countries.

Here the shoe is on the other foot!

Cheers; :)

One man that would see Racism in Thailand as a problem in the International markets would no doubt be PM Abhisit.

Brought up in England and educated at Oxford and Cambridge,and speaks flawless BBC English. Sadly his cabinet

havent a clue of the true meaning of Racialism,otherwise there would be some effort made to educate the vast

majority of Thais narrow minded, insular way of thinking.

One man that would see Racism in Thailand as a problem in the International markets would no doubt be PM Abhisit.

Brought up in England and educated at Oxford and Cambridge,and speaks flawless BBC English. Sadly his cabinet

havent a clue of the true meaning of Racialism,otherwise there would be some effort made to educate the vast

majority of Thais narrow minded, insular way of thinking.

OMG

He's now been educated at both Oxford AND cambridge :)

Oxbridge !!!

And I suppose most people don't understand racialism as the word does not exist in English

caf