Nationwide Issue New Cash Cards

Has anyone else been told that their 'cards' cannot be sent here due to 'high risk of interception and theft'? I am with Abbey and although I had a Visa card sent 'recorded' delivery about 4 years ago their policy is not to allow it any more.

Unless I change to a UK address and have my card sent there so my son can forward it I am 'cardless'!

I had the same problem trying to get a replacement card to Taiwan last year.

Only time before that was when I had to get a replacement Barclaycard sent to me in Japan, which was done with no problems (but like yourself, that was around 4 years ago - so perhaps that's changed too)

Has anyone else been told that their 'cards' cannot be sent here due to 'high risk of interception and theft'? I am with Abbey and although I had a Visa card sent 'recorded' delivery about 4 years ago their policy is not to allow it any more.

Unless I change to a UK address and have my card sent there so my son can forward it I am 'cardless'!

I had the problem a few years ago with my card from the Nationwide. When my card didn't arrive i called them and was told it was being processed. Two weeks later the same answer. When I rang for the 3rd time I asked them to confirm the date it was posted after a while I was informed that they couldn't send the card abroad. The friendly lady in my local branch told me the only way was to have a UK address. So now I use my sister's address. My sister sends in an envelope that looks like a birthday card. Another friend goes to the trouble of putting the card between 2 cd's so it is not picked up by scans.

The friendly lady in my local branch told me the only way was to have a UK address. So now I use my sister's address. My sister sends in an envelope that looks like a birthday card. Another friend goes to the trouble of putting the card between 2 cd's so it is not picked up by scans.

Geez, that's about the last way I would have a card sent out to me...."in an envelope that looks like a birthday card"

Mail that never seems to get through to me here in Thailand are birthday cards and christmas cards. I assume that the postal staff think that they may have money in them.

The most reliable method I've found to have mail sent out to me from the UK is to have it sent "International Signed For". It's priority handling & registered delivery.

So the new card will not be a VISA card?

I dont understand...

Yes I do not understand this.......If the new card can be used in shops overseas...presumably Carrefour Central etc in Thailand...Try asking for Cashback in Tesco Chiang Mai?? Ha Ha Why not in ATMs...No info as to what system they will use...........Any way I agree with other poster..Thailand is a cash economy...if you can't get cash what's the point of the card or the account? OK The Internet bank is good but cannot transfer money from it to Kasikorn/SCB etc. Nationwide even want signed documents..At least Halifax do it on the phone!!?...so the Q will be..what will be the cheapest /quickest way to get cash to Thailand......Western Union/Moneygram stupidly expensive... UK banks charge transaction fees, %fees and lousy exchange rate.........

So the new card will not be a VISA card?

I dont understand...

Yes I do not understand this.......If the new card can be used in shops overseas...presumably Carrefour Central etc in Thailand...Try asking for Cashback in Tesco Chiang Mai?? Ha Ha Why not in ATMs...No info as to what system they will use...........Any way I agree with other poster..Thailand is a cash economy...if you can't get cash what's the point of the card or the account? OK The Internet bank is good but cannot transfer money from it to Kasikorn/SCB etc. Nationwide even want signed documents..At least Halifax do it on the phone!!?...so the Q will be..what will be the cheapest /quickest way to get cash to Thailand......Western Union/Moneygram stupidly expensive... UK banks charge transaction fees, %fees and lousy exchange rate.........

Nationwide (if you are in the UK) and Halifax (although they say you should not if abroad) 'do it online'

MANY topics running on this subject. My opinion - you can't beat Halifax at the moment. Remit online in Sterling with Halifax £9.50 charge and max 500 Baht from Kasikorn.

On another closed thread Maestro pointed out that you could have a CIRRUS card on a Flexaccount. Indeed I have one. However, this was achieved by 'downgrading' you Flexaccount.

I had 2 Flexaccounts so it was worth doing - not now with the replacement cards.

As I cannot PM poster 'srisatch' I just want to publicly apologise for calling him a muppet on a related Nationwide card topic.

I now realise that, whilst Nationwide no longer issue cash cards on their Flexaccounts, long-standing account holders may still have CIRRUS cards.

Sorry. :)

Well this simply means i will be closing my Nationwide Flex account as the only thing i use it for is ATM transactions abroad.

i have never had any problem ,,withdrawing cash in thailand ,

using my nationwide , flexi account , visa debit card ..

i think NATIONWIDE , is the easiest on line banking system ,,

having tried , lloyds, hsbc ..

no thanks

Well this simply means i will be closing my Nationwide Flex account as the only thing i use it for is ATM transactions abroad.

NO PROBLEM ,,

today , i called into my local NATIONWIDE office ,,{returning to LOS, end of mounth ]

with the flexiaccont debit card , you can continue to withdraw money abroad , as before .

nationwide are issuing a new cash card in june this year,

which cannot be used abroad , and this card does not have a overdrawn facility .

[possibly for high risk , customers ].

NO PROBLEM ,,

today , i called into my local NATIONWIDE office ,,{returning to LOS, end of mounth ]

with the flexiaccont debit card , you can continue to withdraw money abroad , as before .

which cannot be used abroad , and this card does not have a overdrawn facility .

Have you checked the withdrawalrate on the debit card. From what i remember the cirrus Cash card was the better option.

Additionally i do not want the ability to overdraw on the card as it is left in my Wife's Family hands as an easy and cheap way to transfer a small amount of money each month as and when needed. No way i want the ability to build up an overdraft on an account where i do not have total control of the card itself. I may trust the person who keeps the card but do i trust everyone around him and who has access to his house?

Will probably have to look at prepaid cards which will mean a lesser exchange rate.

I questioned this - this is Nationwide's response (seems reasonable to me):

Your replacement card will be sent to your address in Thailand,

however, the card will have a block placed on it for security reasons.

When you receive your replacement card you will be asked to contact us to

arrange for the restriction to be removed before it is used.

• 2 weeks later...

NO PROBLEM ,,

Have you checked the withdrawalrate on the debit card. From what i remember the cirrus Cash card was the better option.

Additionally i do not want the ability to overdraw on the card as it is left in my Wife's Family hands as an easy and cheap way to transfer a small amount of money each month as and when needed. No way i want the ability to build up an overdraft on an account where i do not have total control of the card itself. I may trust the person who keeps the card but do i trust everyone around him and who has access to his house?

Will probably have to look at prepaid cards which will mean a lesser exchange rate.

Snap, in the same boat. bloody pain what with the exchange rate and now this arghhh

so the Q will be..what will be the cheapest /quickest way to get cash to Thailand......Western Union/Moneygram stupidly expensive... UK banks charge transaction fees, %fees and lousy exchange rate..

HiFx (online)

No transfer fee and a better rate of exchange than the Thai banks

But If you have a Cheque guarantee card they are upgrading the card to a visa debt card

What can I do with a Visa debit card?

Our FlexAccount with a Visa debit card offers customers our widest range of features and benefits – you can use your Visa debit card

to:

pay for goods and services in shops in the UK and abroad†

securely pay for goods and services online

pay for goods and services over the phone

ask for cashback in certain UK stores

withdraw cash from cash machines in the UK and abroad†

here is the link for the letter

Nationwide

Hope it works ....colino its just not going to free anymore

Edited by colino

HiFx (online)

No transfer fee and a better rate of exchange than the Thai banks

How does this compare to a SWIFT transfer??. Fee's etc.

Had a brief look at their website and "terms and conditions"

Their Baht rate is slightly better than BKB!.

As I previously stated there are no fees, they even guarantee to refund any fees if your Thai bank makes a charge.

I suspect the small transfers are considered loss leaders while they gather potential customers who may wish to buy a house in the future.

They usually give 1 bht per UKP more than any other bank.

The rate they quote on making the deal is FIXED, so no currency fluctuations if your bank is slow to credit your account.

Edited by sarahsbloke

But If you have a Cheque guarantee card they are upgrading the card to a visa debt card

What can I do with a Visa debit card?

Our FlexAccount with a Visa debit card offers customers our widest range of features and benefits – you can use your Visa debit card

to:

pay for goods and services in shops in the UK and abroad†

securely pay for goods and services online

pay for goods and services over the phone

ask for cashback in certain UK stores

withdraw cash from cash machines in the UK and abroad†

here is the link for the letter

Nationwide

Hope it works ....colino its just not going to free anymore

So now its a 1% visa transaction fee to be added to the Thai bank atm charge. :)

NO PROBLEM ,,

I also send a small amount to the inlaws each month, I declined a overdraft facility,only ever pay enough in to cover

their withdrawal,and keep a check on the same Flexaccount by Internet Banking with Nationwide.nobody can draw

whats not in the account. Works well up to now.

Just got a new nationwide card sent to me. It was blocked until you phone themand answer your security questions, then no problem.

They also sent me an electronic card reader which means I can transfer up to 10,000 pounds from the comfort of my living room on line.

The new cashcard+ will be some sort of restricted visa debit card that will allow purchases of goods and services outside of the UK but not use in ATMs. I do not know what kind of Visa Debit card it will be (Visa Electron?) and need to do more research on this.

Basically the Nationwide wants to get rid of people who just use their cash card account for overseas atm withdrawals.

What would be useful to know is if it would/may be possible to use the new cashcard+ for an over the counter withdrawal in a Thai bank ? Now as they haven't been issued it will be hard to know 100%. However, if anyone who knows about the various flavours of Visa Debit cards could comments on what would work for over the counter and what would not , this would be most useful...

Options seem to be :

* Request an upgrade of your account to full flex account - unless your going to use this account as your main account and have a regular salary payment made into this and have direct debits on it and you have a good credit score, you may be out-of-luck

* Apply for a new flex account with full visa debit card - this may be a better option that an upgrade

* Apply for a Cumberland Building Society account - they have a card that has no fees for overseas atm withdrawals - you need to live there to get it !

* Apply for a santander zero current account - gives a card that has no fee overseas atm withdrawls

* Apply for a santander zero credit card - it may be possible to preload the account and then get fee free with no interest atm withdrawals

Some useful links are

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showth...ionwide+upgrade

Hope this all helps - would be good if people can post *relevant* experience on here. For people that depend on this, it may make things harder/more expensive when the Nationwide implement this change, which they claim is for our benefit (read cutting the costs to the Nationwide) - which is still a Building Society, that is suppose to be run for the benefit of the members (it can make a profit from :-) )

Edited by Khun Bob

Just got a new nationwide card sent to me. It was blocked until you phone themand answer your security questions, then no problem.

They also sent me an electronic card reader which means I can transfer up to 10,000 pounds from the comfort of my living room on line.

Thats strange cos when those gizmo's first came out, I was told that because I live abroad, I will not get(or need) one.

I have had NW cards sent to me along with other types of correspondence from them, no problem for 4 years now.