Importing Your Toy.

TexasMike

Brothers, I have been looking and it appears it will be cheaper to buy a new bike here in the Texas and have it shipped to bangkok than buy it there.

What is the important tax rate for items worth about $14,000 US?

Becuase as of the moment, I can get my 2010 Fat Boy purchased and shipped for 14,000 K

Thanks

A lot of guys on here will tel you that it is all but impossible to do but we just brought a Sporty over here from California and sold it for a profit without the book. With the glut of bike in the US right now and the weakness of the dollar against the baht it is crazy to trade I dollars to buy a bike out here. There are also ways to ship the bike to a more "free trade zone like Singapore then ride it across the boarder. As I understand it your bike would need to do visa runs every few months that way but allegedly it is legal and since you are not registering it permanently (orange book) you do not have to pay the import fees since it is here in Thailand as a visitor only.

Whatever way you end up going please post your experience up here because there is a desperate shortage of information about this.

Legally, its a huge amount of work and ballpark 200k baht.. Easy to go wrong and cost a lot more..

Thats giving you 125 for import fees and 75 for emissions testing and green book fees..

Add 50 - god knows if its much over 1000cc

Or leave on US plates, ride in through Malaysia and visa run it every 6 months.

Lots of threads on this.

Thanks, I know it is very possible and very easy to do. I just don't know why more people don't do just this. America if full of Biles at great prices especiallyh in the winter months, or Jan and Febuary as they are broke after spending to much on Christmas and the wife says "sell" as they don't ride enough.

A lot of guys on here will tel you that it is all but impossible to do but we just brought a Sporty over here from California and sold it for a profit without the book. With the glut of bike in the US right now and the weakness of the dollar against the baht it is crazy to trade I dollars to buy a bike out here. There are also ways to ship the bike to a more "free trade zone like Singapore then ride it across the boarder. As I understand it your bike would need to do visa runs every few months that way but allegedly it is legal and since you are not registering it permanently (orange book) you do not have to pay the import fees since it is here in Thailand as a visitor only.

Whatever way you end up going please post your experience up here because there is a desperate shortage of information about this.

Of course all this is possible but at the end illegal.You sold the bike without book for a profit.Good on you but the new owner can come cry on here when they confiscate his bike because it is illegal in Thailand.

By the way what is an "orange" book?Never seen that in Thailand.

I would strongly dispute the "very easy to do".. Its possible but not easy..

I must agree on that.

Mike it would be best for you (if you want a new HD) to buy at the official HD importer, sad thing that it will cost app. double as in USA,

but it will at least give you the warranty on the bike if you buy it here.

I want the new 48 Sportster badly and the price will be somewhere between 770-900k bath and app 10.5k $ in USA, not fair huh :) but then again cheap compared to my native Denmark. :D

A Thai friend got a huge HD, little sister of the Road King. but he spent about 900 k and now the duty and registration fees get added. not sure it was a wise move. He's well connected though and swears the duty would only be about 100 k, not "213%".

AFAIK, he got taken as this was not even a new model. Shop around, you might get a legal Fat boy for 700 k and sleep at night.

On GT rider, there is a good thread for a Cambodia import @ under 40%.

The official numbers for Thailand scare me badly - and then I hear they let folks fail the emissions test at XX k per test and the whole nightmare may take MONTHS. *** A temporary import with you exporting it again and re-importing it etc. perpetually might work though. Anyone knows the ASEAN rules? Is it some kind of free trade zone? Maybe Cambodian plates and Thai insurance are the answer?

Ride on,

Chris

The official numbers for Thailand scare me badly - and then I hear they let folks fail the emissions test at XX k per test and the whole nightmare may take MONTHS. ***

The emission test is 28.000 baht per test,I know as I have the official invoice,and you can forget to do it on your own as you will fail for sure.I saw when they prepared my bike to do the test.The bike which has fuel injection was brandnew and imported from US but they still had to remove the original exhaust then put on something that didn't even look like an exhaust but which had 3 catalyst (sp) built in.They told me otherwise it would be impossible to pass the test.

Of course all this is possible but at the end illegal.You sold the bike without book for a profit.Good on you but the new owner can come cry on here when they confiscate his bike because it is illegal in Thailand.

By the way what is an "orange" book?Never seen that in Thailand.

Prey tell what is illegal about riding a foreign registered bike into the country and then keeping its status current with boarder runs?

The new owners are well connected Thai bikers and assured me they understood perfectly what getting it booked would entail so I am not sure anyone is going to show up here "crying"

Thank you I did mean green not orange but I have an orange book for my 2528 (thai year) Yamaha if you would like to see that.

I can give you a list of Thai bike shops that obviously don't know what they're doing when importing HD's from the US. Most are 20 yrs. in the business. Could be a real business op for you.

I am not suggesting for one second that any shop that imports and sells bikes go any route but by the book and if I had a bike importing business I am sure I would go the same route as most of them. However, if you can provide a healthy size list of bike shops that both import bikes (from the US not salvage bikes from Japan) and have been in business over 20 years I would love to see it, please do post.

The original poster was looking at brining a personal bike over to ride while in Thailand and that is what I was addressing. Yes he could spend $25000 on a bike that is worth $10000 in the US and that is easy enough. All I was suggesting is that there are perfectly legal ways to bring a personal bike over here if you are willing to do a little bit of research and spend a bit of time & effort.

I can give you a list of Thai bike shops that obviously don't know what they're doing when importing HD's from the US. Most are 20 yrs. in the business. Could be a real business op for you.

I am not suggesting for one second that any shop that imports and sells bikes go any route but by the book and if I had a bike importing business I am sure I would go the same route as most of them. However, if you can provide a healthy size list of bike shops that both import bikes (from the US not salvage bikes from Japan) and have been in business over 20 years I would love to see it, please do post.

The original poster was looking at brining a personal bike over to ride while in Thailand and that is what I was addressing. Yes he could spend $25000 on a bike that is worth $10000 in the US and that is easy enough. All I was suggesting is that there are perfectly legal ways to bring a personal bike over here if you are willing to do a little bit of research and spend a bit of time & effort.

If you've been in Thailand for over a mo. and hangin around the harley boys you'd know.

TexasMike: In my OPINION bringing the bike in as your personal bike seems to be the most cost effective AND most legal way to go after paying about double for a bike from the 1 licensed dealer and as far as I know there is only 1. I have never done this though I do intend to as I have enough money to afford the bike I want.

In my experience many of the 2nd hand big bike dealers are the ones operating a shady business sometimes importing salvaged or stolen bikes from Japan in pieces then assembling and respraying them in Thailand and trying to pass them off as legal US imports (VIN will start with1HD for USA models and 5HD for Japanese but even this can be and is sometimes altered). With operators like this they still manage to get a greenbook for the bike under the table but having a greenbook like this in your hand is no guarantee it is fully "yours". There was recently a case in Pattaya where several bikes were seized and when the owners who had bought the bikes from that shop and had books were not able to get their bikes back from the police at not last I read anyway.

Bottom line is learn as much as you can from this and other forums like www.gt-rider.com. IMHO best way to be sure everything is on the up and up is to do everything yourself. And don't just assume that paying a huge amount more then you know the bike is worth is going to insure you of getting a square deal.

If you've been in Thailand for over a mo. and hangin around the harley boys you'd know.

Sorry, I been here for 4 years now and run a motorcycle business where the most common bikes I deal with are based on Harley and after-market 80 to 124inch Evo's but I am out of the loop and don't hang around the "harley boys" so better if you can just post that list you offered to provide.

Sorry, I been here for 4 years now and run a motorcycle business where the most common bikes I deal with are based on Harley and after-market 80 to 124inch Evo's but I am out of the loop and don't hang around the "harley boys" so better if you can just post that list you offered to provide.

Ditto, I wouldn't mind seeing that list as well. [subscribed to thread]

e.

Jammer

Big Twin

K-Cycle

V-Speed Siam

K-Speed

Chang Freeman

Siam

MC World

Nicky's Handlebar

Couple more in Pattaya but forgot names

Big Cycle Udon

Another in Ubon can't think of nam

Edited by ajahnlau

Jammer

Big Twin

K-Cycle

V-Speed Siam

K-Speed

Chang Freeman

Siam

MC World

Nicky's Handlebar

Big Cycle Udon

Cool, I had seriously thought there were only 3 or 4 shops in Thailand that imported Harley's and had been in business so long.

I know Samat at VS Motors in Pattaya has just imported some HD V-twins too but his shop is only about 5 or 6 years old.

Jammer

Big Twin

K-Cycle

V-Speed Siam

K-Speed

Chang Freeman

Siam

MC World

Nicky's Handlebar

Big Cycle Udon

Theres a few on that list that I wouldnt trust in any way to import and register.

Sure the 'deal' in used / imported machines, but I dont think they do the paperwork themselves.

Well the frame came in today and there was another 8000 baht due on it bringing the total to just about 28000.

If I had bought it here it would have rand 40,000 to 50,000 and I wouldn't have had all the supporting documentation in my name.

I know some guys are gonna say that I don't have a book yet and I agree that still remains to be seen but now I have the option:

1. To try for a book with the bill of sale, all transport doc's and customs doc in my own name and 100% legitimate.

2. To sell it here in Thailand and be able to show how I came to own if and how it came to be in Thailand..

3. Ship it back to the states for sale there.

4. Build it out here and then ship it out of country and ride it back over the boarder using my foreign registration and making boarder runs with bike every few months as I need to do for myself anyway.

I do understand that many guys have had HUGE frustrations in trying to get a green book for a built bike but I think most of the time they finally are able to get what they want and I am not 100% resolved that going after the illusive green book is the only way to keep and ride a bike in Thailand. All input is appreciated but I do tend to value first hand knowledge and direct quotes from websites a lot higher then 2nd hand information from a bike shop that might have their own agenda.

www.cycletrader.com has many a great deal. Some owners seem to put only a few thousand miles on their bikes.

Q: would an EFI bike which passes the Euro 3 norm have a chance of passing?

Q: anyone knows what is sold for smog test in CA at the auto shops? A small bottle, to be used on an almost empty tank.

Q: isn't the import duty linked to the year of the bike?

One think I've learned is that even a green book might be useless when it is a recycled & forged one. There is the option to get a book evaluated by the land ministry - use that as a precondition for any used bike purchase!

Ride on,

Chris

Q: would an EFI bike which passes the Euro 3 norm have a chance of passing?

Q: anyone knows what is sold for smog test in CA at the auto shops? A small bottle, to be used on an almost empty tank.

Ride on,

Chris

Read my post above.My bike was brandnew when imported and is EFI so since it is also a recent model and sold identical in Europe I assumme it passes the Euro 3 norm.Still they tested it and concluded that it would not pass the test in it's original condition.So they had to remove the exhaust and replace it with some ugly thing with 3 catalysts in order to pass the test.

It doesn't help to put some additive in the tank as they take a sample of the gasoline and only gasoline 95 octane is allowed to be in the tank.

I've been searching these concepts too, to bring in my VW bus.

On the visa run concept, I read that there was something like a 200% of value deposit that had to be left at the border in order to bring in a visiting motor vehicle.

Anyone heard about that and how it impacts this discussion?

On the visa run concept, I read that there was something like a 200% of value deposit that had to be left at the border in order to bring in a visiting motor vehicle.

Yeah bikes they allow the owner to 'self guarantee' but not for cars..

That is different for asean cars.. I know an Ozzie whose attempting to bring in a hotted up Cooper S mini..

Yeah bikes they allow the owner to 'self guarantee' but not for cars..

That is different for asean cars.. I know an Ozzie whose attempting to bring in a hotted up Cooper S mini..

So is the Copper considered ASEAN? If so are all cars from oz? I have seen guys riding bikes with foreign registry over board crossings at Mukdahan and they didn't seem to be having a lot of trouble but I never stopped to ask them

My understanding of the rules.. Cars need to leave a bond.. 'local country' cars are excused, due to specific bi-lateral agreements, so you can drive a Malay car in without bond, but you cant drive an (eg) UK car in without one. I happen to know someone who got a swanky UK regged range rover in via cambo ($$ ??) after being denied at the Malay border. That was maybe 5 years ago.

The Ozzie I met is certain he can get his Oz regged car in, says he has already had clearances etc, however he is new to Thailand, and seemed too sure of himself based on rules as he understood them, I have no idea if it will work. I wish him well but have my doubts.

I would also say, I am pretty convinced that I could get a car through Sadao without paperwork.. Do it in the rain and no one is outside, and its a teeming mess of low security and crush of people and vehicles.. I have driven cars and bikes through loads of times now without paperwork, in both directions, of course thats not a legal route but make of it what you will.

OK for those guys who managed to get a harley in by shipping it in bits and pieces, could someone let me know (like telephone number, website, and whatnot) on who can do this? I have a harley. I want to ship to thailand. Just want to know who can turn the invoices for separate parts into a green book.

OK for those guys who managed to get a harley in by shipping it in bits and pieces, could someone let me know (like telephone number, website, and whatnot) on who can do this? I have a harley. I want to ship to thailand. Just want to know who can turn the invoices for separate parts into a green book.

I have shipped all sorts of bits and pieces from US to Thailand. Had a frame arrive on Saturday and that will be followed by more parts next week. Last Sportster we assembled here 2 months ago was bought by a Thai before we got to the green book stage but from what I hear it is no picnic. I am looking forward to going after the holy grail of Thai documentation this time though....just mostly because so many guys have been told it is impossible. Then again there may just be a reason why the shops will tell you they can do it for you but you cannot get it done yourself? Hmmmm

Is it possible to do that with cars?