Possibility Of Sabotage Taking Place On March 14: Abhisit

webfact

Actually it was reported by a TVF member of a very unusual amount of Thais

returing from Thaksins current home base by someone who travels this route quite regularly.

That is a valid observation first hand, and poo poo it as you like, it is a worrisome one.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin brought up suicide bombings, no one else did.

I am not even admitting the source was a sound one. He may or may not have used the words quoted.

But if he did, he only reported what had been said and his NEGATIVE rsponse to it.

A mischievous reply, Animatic

"Thaksin said on Friday night that a man who was treated for heart disease under his government's universal healthcare programme had offered to carry out a suicide bombing. However, he turned down the offer because he did not want to endanger anyone's life."

caf

returing from Thaksins current home base by someone who travels this route quite regularly.

That is a valid observation first hand, and poo poo it as you like, it is a worrisome one.

I acn add nothing more to Mazeltof's post number 24 which puts a bit of realism into the scare mongering. I suggest you read it with an open mind.

caf

Can't find a Source on that one - maybe you can provide it?

I seriously doubt that:

1) Thaksin has the money to send large numbers of Thais by Air from overseas in an attempt to swell the ranks of the threatened Protests next week - he probably has enough problems raising funds for a couple of hundred Etaan trucks and Pickups to Bangkok manned by his remaining up-country supporters.

2) That Arisman, Veera et al would let outsiders have direct access to Thaksin and his remaining Funds - they want to be the exclusive conduit for any monies Thaksin makes available for his final attempt at control / overthrow, they want control so they can "get out of Dodge" with the remaining cash when the March 12 - 14 nonsense collapses in ignominy.

Patrick

I have received reports that acts of sabotage have been planned for the weekend. Err, sorry? No I can't divulge who told me.

What do you mean Army Intelligence know nothing about it? Oh, oh they told you that did they. Well, err.............

What a farce! He could get a job as lead source for The Nation.

I have been told by friends from the University that the idea of scattering metal spikes was discussed at a meeting between the Army and Police. The reasoning behind it was that quite a few of the demonstrators might arrive on farm tractors and the thought of getting them damaged might put them off.

He seems to be playing down his trip to Australia which will mean that he will be out of the country when the demonstration takes place and Suthep will be responsible for anything that happens not Abhisit. How convenient!

There is also something quite strange about that trip of his. Because last Friday the PM's trip was announced on Radio Thailand's news and the announcer said at the end of the announcement;

The Prime Minister has stated that official trips to another country by the Prime Minister must be agreed by both countries and wants to therefore stress that if the trip is cancelled it will have nothing to do with Redshirt demonstration this weekend End Quote.

That's what was said - I heard it.

What I consider strange is him saying that the trip might be cancelled. Because that means details of the trip had still not been agreed with Australia. But Prime Ministerial trips are always planned and details agreed months in advance so this trip seems to be a very hastily organised special trip.

Edited by termad

Also the fact that Dubai is a growing popular Tourist destination has nothing to do with it I suppose.

What a load of nonsense.

What I consider strange is him saying that the trip might be cancelled. Because that means details of the trip had still not been agreed with Australia. But Prime Ministerial trips are always planned and details agreed months in advance so this trip seems to be a very hastily organised special trip.

What do you think happens: Abhisit - "Hey Kev. I'm not too busy this weekend. Mind if I come over for a chat?"

Just because you have only just read about Abhisit going to Aus, doesn't mean it was only just organised.

Maybe that's exactly the reason the protest has been organised for the same weekend.

I read the same post. Feasible that it was an Issan group returning from a visit with Thaksin, but hardly conclusive. Could have easily been a business group returning from some sort of seminar.

What do you think happens: Abhisit - "Hey Kev. I'm not too busy this weekend. Mind if I come over for a chat?"

Just because you have only just read about Abhisit going to Aus, doesn't mean it was only just organised.

Maybe that's exactly the reason the protest has been organised for the same weekend.

If I remember Hilary Clinton was on her way to Oz a few weeks ago when the Haiti Hurricane happened.

She cancelled and went back to deal with the emergency.

In world politics these things happen all the time - no big deal.

If the reds cause trouble and he has to cancel - or come home in a rush, he wins, they lose on an international level - providing things are not totally out of hand.

He appears to be a strong man, they look like bad guys.

He still holds the cards.

He also has a chance to get strong international support because he'll be the "news".

At home, providing we don't have anymore than a "looming" disaster on our hands, he can play the domestic card, saying he had gone to one of Thailand's major free trade partners to talk about business deals, but had to come back home, to keep control...

Don't underestimate his ability.

Look how he handled Songkran.

Also the fact that Dubai is a growing popular Tourist destination has nothing to do with it I suppose.

What a load of nonsense.

Well, my wife didn't get to the bottom of the story as to why they were on the flight because she was busy working. However, since she is Thai and flies between Bangkok and Dubai at least once a week, she probably has better knowledge of the demographics of the passengers onboard Emirates flights between the two destinations than those who have commented.

Make of it what you will. It was merely an observation.

I suppose it does seem unrealistic that this particular group would have been in Dubai discussing anything with Thaksin. I am sure he has better things to do than grant an audience to a group of visitors from Thailand.

I read the same post. Feasible that it was an Issan group returning from a visit with Thaksin, but hardly conclusive. Could have easily been a business group returning from some sort of seminar.

Afraid to disappoint you but this group was a mixture of E-san and Northern Thais. Extremely doubtful that they were returning from a business seminar in the Middle East since the majority of the group struggled to understand anything the flight attendants were saying in English. In the past the demographics of this group would have matched that of the Thai labour force working in the Middle East. Little of that now, other than a large number of flight attendants with Emirates and Etihad, and the limited few who work in hotels and catering. The majority of the cheap labour market in Dubai is now covered by Indians (construction, shops and office work), Pakistanis (taxi drivers) and Filipinos (shops and office work).

Perhaps this motley crue were returning from a month's holiday staying at the Burj Al Arab ... :)

He was extreemly corrupt and has been proved so but that does not take away what he actually did do for the electorate that voted for him democratically.

The only taking away that he actually did do were the lives of thousands and around 150billion baht. Despite it being proven that he did far less for the poor than he and his worshippers here would claim, we are still flooded with these lies. As if what he supposedly did somehow pardons the fact that he was accessory to the murder of thousands and stole billions.

What a load of nonsense.

Well, my wife didn't get to the bottom of the story as to why they were on the flight because she was busy working. However, since she is Thai and flies between Bangkok and Dubai at least once a week, she probably has better knowledge of the demographics of the passengers onboard Emirates flights between the two destinations than those who have commented.

I suppose it does seem unrealistic that this particular group would have been in Dubai discussing anything with Thaksin. I am sure he has better things to do than grant an audience to a group of visitors from Thailand.

I wouldn't bother trying to justify it to some of the critics, it was interesting observation from a person who flies that route regularly. Whatever, one thing is pretty certain Thaksi is certainly stirring up shit, left, right and centre.

Well, I expect the guns and other weapons stolen from the military base will soon be in the hands of Thai tourists. Next weekend could be a fun sightseeing day in Bangkok.

and would make sure no weapons are smuggled out of military barracks.

I would of like to have thought this was common practise, sadly thats apparently not true. TIT I guess.

oops :)

a little late for that one, don't worry though they only managed to sneak out 6000 assault rifles :D

He also insisted his administration was not a puppet of the bureaucratic elite (amataya).

Prove it! To any outsider who has been in Thailand for a few years can work it out that this is NOT the case.

Who does he think he is kidding. :)

Just because he is not a Thaksin croney doesn't make him a puppet. Does that mean that all the PPP and PT politicians were puppets of Thaksin?

Maybe with his extensive O/S education, he actually has a mind of his own now.

And how do you prove something like that? Regardless of any proof he provides, you won't believe it anyway. You've already made your decision. You won't listen to anything else now.

He's sitting in the Prime Minister's chair because forty MPs (and the millions of votes that they represent) were bought by the Military and the Elite to make him the Prime Minister. Do you honestly believe that doesn't make him a puppet?

If you re-read my post you will see that the trip hadn't even been OKed by Australia as of last Friday. Prime Ministers have very full agendas and official visits have to be worked out many months in advance to the convenience of both countries.

Does that make clearer for you or do you want pretty pictures?

What a load of nonsense.

How long is the Flight from Dubai to Thailand - at a guess 3 or 4 hours?

And in all that time your wife only took note of the Regional accents of the rowdy group on your Flight, then lost all further interest - too busy "working" to even listen, for a few minutes, to what the group was talking about? (Much less "get to the bottom of the story").

I have been here many years and I can tell you without fear of contradiction - ALL Thais love to listen in to others' conversations, even when about purely mundane matters, much less about potential conflict in their Country.

Sorry, but I think your Post is total nonsense.

Patrick

If I remember Hilary Clinton was on her way to Oz a few weeks ago when the Haiti Hurricane happened.

If the reds cause trouble and he has to cancel - or come home in a rush, he wins, they lose on an international level - providing things are not totally out of hand.

He also has a chance to get strong international support because he'll be the "news".

At home, providing we don't have anymore than a "looming" disaster on our hands, he can play the domestic card, saying he had gone to one of Thailand's major free trade partners to talk about business deals, but had to come back home, to keep control...

He specifically said that if the trip was cancelled it would have nothing to do with the Red Shirts.

He specifically said that if the trip was cancelled it would have nothing to do with the Red Shirts.

Maybe he said that then, but he is quite a good politician, who has managed to whether a lot so far.

He's a good game player - that's more the point, than specific comments he might, or might not make.

After all, he's playing up against a man who does this every day.

What a load of nonsense.

How long is the Flight from Dubai to Thailand - at a guess 3 or 4 hours?

And in all that time your wife only took note of the Regional accents of the rowdy group on your Flight, then lost all further interest - too busy "working" to even listen, for a few minutes, to what the group was talking about? (Much less "get to the bottom of the story").

I have been here many years and I can tell you without fear of contradiction - ALL Thais love to listen in to others' conversations, even when about purely mundane matters, much less about potential conflict in their Country.

Sorry, but I think your Post is total nonsense.

Patrick

Patrick,

She was the galley operator in business class and they were sat in economy. However, she was on the door when they got on and got off. That's how she overheard them talking. In the unlikely event that they had met Thaksin, they certainly wouldn't be talking about covert operations, funds or the like in public.

However, you are right ... she should have made an effort to get to the bottom of why this adnormally large group of upcountry Thais were flying back to Bangkok from Dubai. Unfortunately, she has almost zero interest in the red-yellow-rainbow political fiasco and merely commented that it was highly unusual to see such a group on this route.

Mere speculation on my part.

since the economy in Dubai collapsed and needed propping up I imagine many groups of Thais have returned to Thailand as I imagine many jobs have been lost.

Great! Maybe my bloody Isaan electrician will be back soon! He was brilliant, rewired the house, appreciated the need for grounded outlets and was all set to do some work on my gazebo when he landed a job on that Burj Khalifa thingamabob.

Edited by NanLaew

That would be a minuscule fraction of the local arms stash.

Not a game changer at all.

Is the theft from the southern garrison considered a game changer then?

In army hands, which was the original argument,

no.

in the hands of someone wanting to embarrass the security forces big time at this rally,

definitely.

no.

in the hands of someone wanting to embarrass the security forces big time at this rally,

definitely.

There are plenty of red lunatics who would happily kill their own to get a good result. Equally there are plenty of lunatics who would happily shoot soldiers or governemnt targets to get the military to crush the reds once and for all. There are violent psychos on both extremes who dont care who dies

I flew from Dubai on EK374 on late Friday night with my wife (Thai) who works for Emirates. I commented on the higher than usual number of Thai passengers on that plane and she agreed 100%. There was one group in particular, numbering 20+ people, who were constantly moving between seats, shouting across everyone's heads to their 'friends' on the other side of the plane and were not your average tour group. The wife said their dialects were a mixture of northern and north-eastern. Most of them were aged 35-45 years old, but there were a couple of men in their 70s or even older ... village headmen perhaps? So is someone paying people to fly over and directly collect money from Thaksin or just to discuss strategies?

Maybe nothing, but I fly this route often and most of the Thais you see on there are usually cabin crew who work for Emirates flying home for a break or WAGS with foreign husbands/boyfriends/sponsors.

Must learn not to 'tink too mut'.

I am working on the Great Man Made River Project in Libya and We have 2,400 Thai workers on this project who get 1 months vacation each year. so every month we send 200 workers home to Thailand via Emirates. Thais have been helping us build the project for the last 20 years and they have been traveling mainly by Emirates or Qatar Airways for all this time. I cannot understand the comment that this is unusual. That is why you will always see 20+ Thais on the flight. These Thais are mainly from the North East especially Nong Kai. Great Workers. If these were our workers and I expect they were, they were probably a little over happy over going back to see their families after 1 year in the Sahara Desert. Most of them are around 35-45 years old the couple of men in their '70s probably are from our Manpower Provider.

Geoffrey Carter

Great Man Made River Project

Libya

no.

definitely.

There are plenty of red lunatics who would happily kill their own to get a good result. Equally there are plenty of lunatics who would happily shoot soldiers or governemnt targets to get the military to crush the reds once and for all. There are violent psychos on both extremes who dont care who dies

I hear you and those are much more worrying than the 850,000 others that won't show up.

I have been told by friends from the University that the idea of scattering metal spikes was discussed at a meeting between the Army and Police.

You know academics who sit in on clandestine meetings between the Army and police, and then discuss the contents of those meetings with their farang friends? :)

If you re-read my post you will see that the trip hadn't even been OKed by Australia as of last Friday. Prime Ministers have very full agendas and official visits have to be worked out many months in advance to the convenience of both countries.

Does that make clearer for you or do you want pretty pictures?

It was done months ago according to Australian press

Thai PM to still visit Australia

The Sydney Morning Herald

March 4, 2010 - 10:14PM

Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva will press ahead with his official visit to Australia and New Zealand despite looming anti-government mass protests at home.

Mr Abhisit's visit to Australia will be his first as Thai prime minister.

It follows an invitation by Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd last year.