Satellite System For Multiple Rooms

tezzaaa

Hi There,

My wife & I have some place we rent, it's made of several rooms (a bit like bungalows) that are rented to Thai people.

Some people have been leaving because they want cable TV etc (there is no tv reception at present). So we're wanting to put up a satellite dish so that every room can have TV. I dont think we need to get them True etc, just basic Free to Air channels.

Ideally we would want to buy a fixed dish satellite system and just run a cable to every room but i wanted to know:

a) what are the options ?

:) do we need a set up box in every room?

c) how much is it likely to cost?

Thank you in advance for your help

Regards

T

For just 2000baht each you can set up a dish for each yourself with just a few basic tools. 400 a year gives each dish some movie channels and music stations. Otherwise its free, my wife has something like 85 channels free, system cost was 1950.

A system from a single dish that lets them watch what they want in each room would maybe cost more. But if it were 20 plus rooms it might add up differently.

PS it the red or sometime yellow small dish like Dsat vary cheap they even have a portable system for people on the go sets up in a few minutes. I think that one is 2800 a copy

Edited by RKASA

For just 2000baht each you can set up a dish for each yourself with just a few basic tools. 400 a year gives each dish some movie channels and music stations. Otherwise its free, my wife has something like 85 channels free, system cost was 1950.

A system from a single dish that lets them watch what they want in each room would maybe cost more. But if it were 20 plus rooms it might add up differently.

Thank you for fast reply. Do you know any suppliers for the system you mention? the location is near Chachoengsao.

Best Wishes

T

Just drive around the town and look for small shops with several types of antenna's sitting out front. They are not name brand type of shop but mom and pop type of places. Ask inside and they will have what you need.

Ask for a C-band system for free channels on Thaicom Satellite. You will need a multi output LNB for antenna and one receiver for each room. Don't get the system with smallest antenna just to save a few baht. Just tell them how many rooms you need TV.

When I bought my system they had 4 output LNB's but you didn't say how many rooms. Additional receivers were 700 baht each if memory is correct. The equipment was made by Infosat and you can check web site (www.inforsats.com).

Check prices at a couple shops. Chachoengsao should have many such shops since the town I live has three and its about the size of bus station area in Chachoengsao.

Mulit output lnb and extra boxes. A great idea, I didn't see them for these systems before, but it been awhile. I am going to check into that myself and upgrade. A box in Kitchen where I chain the wife would be nice. :)

You could most likely do it on a real low budget. The area most likely receives an adequate signal over the air for a old style antenna. Mount an antenna and connect a splitter and run RG cable to the rooms needed. No real expense. Antenna is about 700 baht and cable and spltter maybe another 1,000.

- Get yourself a 5 to 6 ft C Band dish aimed at Thaicom 2/5. I use a DyanSat 5.5ft dish and have never lost signal even in the worst of rain and lightning. This would be a "fixed" dish system; you don't need a "Move" dish system.

- With the dish get a Dual output C Band LNB for about 500 Baht (One output will allow receiving C bang Vertical signals and the other output C band Horizontal signals by any receiver...i.e., get to view all the Free To Air Signals put out by the satellite)

- Run the LNB outputs to a "Multiswitch." A multiswitch splits the signal X-amount of times depending on how many outputs your multiswitch has. You have Multiswitches like 2X4 which means two inputs (like you dual output LNB above) to 4 outputs/receivers. You can get many different types of multiswitches with varying number of LNB inputs and outputs (i.e., 4X8, 9X16, etc., ) Multiswitches come in various cost ranges like approx 450 Baht for a 2X4 unpowered/unamplified to approx 4,000 Baht for a 9X16 powered and amplifies signal output. How many rooms you need to feed the signal to will determine what type of multiswitch you will need. You can even have a regular TV antenna feed into the multiswitch...these type of multiswitches will be designated with an odd number on the first number...like 5X4, 9X6)...may come in handy if the satellite stops working, the LNB falls, etc. And I would recommend you add in a Dual Output KU Band LNB aimed at NSS6 when installing the C Band system as it should only added approx 400 Baht to the total system cost for the cost of a KU band LNB and few extra feet of RG6 cable to feed into the multiswitch. This KU LNB is mounted next to the C Band LNB when they are installing the dish and gives you a couple dozen more channels...plus, if the C Band LNB ever fails, will will still have some satellite signals. This means you will need to get a multiswitch that has at least 4 inputs...like a 4x6, 5X6, 9X16, etc...etc...etc...remember, the odd number input multiswitch allows for connection of a regular TV antenna. And even though the NSS6 satellite is in a little different location in the sky, the dish still remains aimed at the Thaicom 2/5 satellite, while the installer will adjust/aim the KU band LNB to pick up signals from the NSS6 satellite.

- C/KU Band receiver for each room (around 700 Baht each)

- RG-6 cable and connectors to hook up the system (pretty cheap stuff)

- Installation/labor Cost

Summary: Use a "multiswitch" to feed/distribute the signal from the dish to the room receivers.

Edited by Pib

• 3 months later...

Hello All;

I have a similar question, I live in Bangna area, have 1 room with TV and Sat dish associated with it (the small Red one on the roof) and I am looking to put television in two other rooms in the house. My question is do I need to have True set up 2 additional dishes and set-top boxes or can I have just one dish and allow 3 televisions to watch 3 different channels?

I remember when I lived on Ekkamai, I had to have a set top box for each room there was a television in so as to watch different movies, etc. But this was a home without a dish on the roof, just cable brought into the compound.

Any Advice would be most appreciated.

Thank You

CHS

Hello All;

I have a similar question, I live in Bangna area, have 1 room with TV and Sat dish associated with it (the small Red one on the roof) and I am looking to put television in two other rooms in the house. My question is do I need to have True set up 2 additional dishes and set-top boxes or can I have just one dish and allow 3 televisions to watch 3 different channels?

I remember when I lived on Ekkamai, I had to have a set top box for each room there was a television in so as to watch different movies, etc. But this was a home without a dish on the roof, just cable brought into the compound.

Thank You

CHS

Unless something has changed, TrueVisions allows 4 set top boxes when using their CATV (cable)--which you are not using.. And for the dish system (a.k.a., DSTV)--which is your case- it's a maximum of two set top boxes per dish. To run the second box with the additional subscription card provided they just add a power splitter (LNB voltage passing splitter) between the dish and the boxes. This is a summary of the legal method.

Edited by Pib

Hello All;

Thank You

CHS

Unless something has changed, TrueVisions allows 4 set top boxes when using their CATV (cable)--which you are not using.. And for the dish system (a.k.a., DSTV)--which is your case- it's a maximum of two set top boxes per dish. To run the second box with the additional subscription card provided they just add a power splitter (LNB voltage passing splitter) between the dish and the boxes. This is a summary of the legal method.

Thank you very much, this is what I will ask for then.

Cheers

CHS

You could also look at smartwi or dreamboxes..

Talk with a local installer about those options.

Hi,

Anyone know good satellite guy in Bangkok / Onnut - Bangna area who knows Dreamboxes ?

Having some trouble with the set-up. Using legit True card but can't get it up and running being total neeb with this stuff.

Tnx,

MJo

Hi,

Anyone know good satellite guy in Bangkok / Onnut - Bangna area who knows Dreamboxes ?

Having some trouble with the set-up. Using legit True card but can't get it up and running being total neeb with this stuff.

Tnx,

MJo

I am one of the software/firmware developers and wiki writers and live next to Ekamai if that is of any help? But way off topic, so sorry OP.

Edited by joncl

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Tnx,

MJo

I am one of the software/firmware developers and wiki writers and live next to Ekamai if that is of any help? But way off topic, so sorry OP.

Mr. Know it all spamming the forums again. You forgot to mention you "wrote most of it".

Why not offer some genuine advice instead of attacking everyone asking for help ? Or perhaps not replying if you have nothing to contribute ?

Oh dear, you did not have you happy pills today? It was not a forum spam, and it was a great contribution offering to give you help as you requested.

But with your post above, forget it, I withdraw that offer.