Thailand to impose security law for Thaksin protests

george

It is needed. Well done.

Stop talking rubbish, this is thailand and the thai,s have a right to demonstrate how they chose fit,this is one sure way of over reaction, when will us farang just keep our mouths shut and mind our own business,

No reasonable government in the world would sit back and allow free rein to a violent terrorist movement massing in their capital. If you actually believe the red shirts are a peaceful movement, I would agree with you. However, I think the proof is overwhelming that they are a violent movement willing to do anything to achieve their goals. That is simply not acceptable.

as before, yellowshirts?

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is needed. Well done.

Stop talking rubbish, this is thailand and the thai,s have a right to demonstrate how they chose fit,this is one sure way of over reaction, when will us farang just keep our mouths shut and mind our own business,

No reasonable government in the world would sit back and allow free rein to a violent terrorist movement massing in their capital. If you actually believe the red shirts are a peaceful movement, I would agree with you. However, I think the proof is overwhelming that they are a violent movement willing to do anything to achieve their goals. That is simply not acceptable.

keeping calling them terrorists does not make them terrorists.

I find it amazing that so many people believe the yellow shirts blocking the international airport is 'acceptable'. If it is okay to do, why did Abhisit tell the red shirts not to block the airport or they would be removed by force? While at the same time, the trial against the yellow shirts is barely moving forward. DOUBLE STANDARDS.

It's right to the Thai people to demonstrate what they want, could be yellow or red; it's their country and their business not ours and even we have opinions, keep it for us. I would never accept in my country foreigners speaking about what is OK and what is wrong, that's all. :)

Open your eyes, please. This is an EXPAT forum where foreigners express opinions and share information. You don't like what I said, but you are being disingenuous by saying foreigners shouldn't express their opinions. BTW, I never minded when foreigners discussed US politics with me when I was in the US. I would even try to change their opinion if I could. Most horrifying was talking to foreigners who admired George W. Bush, but I wouldn't think they were doing anything wrong by having an opinion.

ISA

Govt to consider invoking security laws during mass rally

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The government is considering whether to invoke the Internal Security Act to maintain law and order during the mass rally of Thaksin supporters this Sunday.

Deputy Suthep Thaugsuban said Monday said the government consider vital information including the anti-government Red movement which would mobilise its supporters from provinces nationwide this Friday.

The demonstrators are expected to arrive in the capital on Friday.

Speaking after chairing a government-appointed security monitoring committee, Suthep said that if the intelligence information showed that the situation is likely to escalate and go out of control, the government will invoke the security laws.

The red shirts claimed that it is mobilising at least a million supporters nationwide to join the mass rally March 14 aiming at bringing down the Abhisit Vejjajiva government.

Abhisit, scheduled to visit Australia during the red shirt protest, said on Monday that he cancelled his visit schedule after reviewing the committee's resolution.

Abhisit's planned visit to Australia March 13-17 is at an invitation by Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd.

The PM earlier said the security-monitoring committee had received an information indicating that possible acts of subotage aimed at creating chaos in the country are looming.

The prime minister said security personnel at all checkpoints have been ordered to inspect vehicles for any weapons being taken to the rally site to prevent acts of violence.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-08

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

I find it amazing that so many people believe the yellow shirts blocking the international airport is 'acceptable'. If it is okay to do, why did Abhisit tell the red shirts not to block the airport or they would be removed by force? While at the same time, the trial against the yellow shirts is barely moving forward. DOUBLE STANDARDS.

the one that gets me is everytime I turn on TV Abhisit is proclaiming that no one is above rule of law (this is when he is asked anything about trying to reconcile with Thaksin) and the law cannot be modified and must be upheld, and there can never be any amnesty about a past crime and (well you know what he is like).

But whenever anyone asks him about doing something about the generals who carried out the coup or why their amnesty is written into the 2006 constitution, he changes the subject .

Of course it affects our business and I am very concerned about that but anyway, it's not our country and if we can not accept the Thai people they do what they want (any color they are), we have to do our business in another place. :)

Conversely we have to accept the right of the Thai government to take appropriate measures to deal with potential violence and other acts detrimental to the country. I don't do business here, I don't work her, I just live here, so it may have minimum impact on me personally. But I remember how it impacted Thai friends last year. Why do you think that residents of neighborhoods started fighting back against the demonstrators last April? Because they were disrupting the lives of those living here, physically assaulting people, attacking mosques,.... on and on... that is why I think this is a good step for the government. They are not telling people not to demonstrate, but letting them know that they are preparing to do what is necessary to maintain order. Just like any other country. In the U.S. Seh Daeng and his cohorts would have been arrested long before this, their political movement labeled terrorist, and any material support for it a criminal act. I think that it is wise to implement the ISA, and the the Thai government has that right.

Sometimes airports remain closed due to heavy storms and snow. Do you consider snow to be a terrorist now? Suggest you check the meaning of the words you use. By the way closing down the airport was the airport authorities decision, not the yellow's request. And the government that didn't act, is the one the reds want back.

I can't even believe I'm reading this. So by your logic, is it okay for the red shirts to march on the airport? After all, it was okay for the yellows. And if the airport is closed, that's not the fault of the protesters, that's the fault of the people who work at the airport. Sorry, but are you Thai? This is the kind of logic that I experience almost daily here, that makes me wonder if I am still sane.

When you quote a quote you shouldn't cut off the quote it referred to. The quote I referred to was sying the the yellows were terrosists because they got the airport to shut down. What I was questioning was wether the word terrorist was appropriate to describe the yellows just because the airport got closed down. Got it? The reds will most likely shut down entire parts of the city in their million rally. Can I call them terrorists now? Get it? (you are lucky I'm not Thai - I would get you banned from this forum if I was).

"10. Order the "training at a special location" of suspects, in lieu of pressing charges against them, for up to six months (Article 31) – such training apparently requires the "consent" of the suspect, but with the threat of criminal procedures as alternative, the voluntariness of consent to such "training" is doubtful. In the absence of freely given consent, such training is therefore likely to amount to arbitrary detention.

Unless otherwise stated, none of the above provisions requires court authorisation for the powers to be exercised."

this is an imprisonment without a charge and without the court - just an administrative decision. No much less than "prisoner of war"

Both the red shirts and yellow shirts have set up international media and fund raising organizations. If any person from whicherver side is subjected to this "order", it will be claimed that they are a prisoner of war - and the World (with the exception of China) will hear and will take notice with negative consequences for Thailand.

The yellow shirts did not attack people, did not ride by on motorcycles shooting dead residents opposing them, did not sewt up gasoline trucks in front of low-income housing and threaten to explode it, did minimal damage to the airports themselves (my flight out was in fact on time just a few days after it ended). Whether it was right or wrong is not for me to judge but there was a world of difference between what the yellow shirts did and what the red shirts did a few months later. A world of difference.

It's right to the Thai people to demonstrate what they want, could be yellow or red; it's their country and their business not ours and even we have opinions, keep it for us. I would never accept in my country foreigners speaking about what is OK and what is wrong, that's all. :)

Open your eyes, please. This is an EXPAT forum where foreigners express opinions and share information. You don't like what I said, but you are being disingenuous by saying foreigners shouldn't express their opinions. BTW, I never minded when foreigners discussed US politics with me when I was in the US. I would even try to change their opinion if I could. Most horrifying was talking to foreigners who admired George W. Bush, but I wouldn't think they were doing anything wrong by having an opinion.

Thank you someone who states the bleedin obvious. This is an expat forum. I personally get sick and tired of people who tell me what i can and can't do and then continue to state how much they value democracy. Or perhaps expats are not worthy of the democacy both the reds and yellows claim to fight to protect.

BTW - Wonder how many expats would switch sides, if they were 'offered' something by the reds (in return for the support of the large expat community) - such as land ownership. Interesting to see if the vociferious pro yellow supporters would continue to be so and if they would be so damming of the poor who take part in the ralllies for allegedly accepting money in return for their support.

It is needed. Well done.

I think it is something that had to be done. Especailly given the amount of weapons that went "missing" last week in the south.

I pray nothing happnes but at least the goverment will be rready this time if it does.

My Abhsit is scared of getting killed by a mob acting the orders of somebody who is genuinely afraid of returning to Thailand? I do recall Abhsit being in a similar situation before, less than a year ago.

I don't think they are saying it's acceptable. They are usually saying it was non-violent.

Certainly that's my opinion.

Yes ... there are some double standards ... yes there is corruption ... but that's standard Thai politics. That's not going to be changed if the reds get what they want through this protest.

joslan

That is not acceptable is your comment. You have no evidence to speak about terrorist movement and I fully agree with the previous comment saying as Farang keep your mouth shut. It's right to the Thai people to demonstrate what they want, could be yellow or red; it's their country and their business not ours and even we have opinions, keep it for us. I would never accept in my country foreigners speaking about what is OK and what is wrong, that's all. :)

can i ask where you are from ?

Edited by timekeeper

My Abhsit is scared of getting killed by a mob acting the orders of somebody who is genuinely afraid of returning to Thailand? I do recall Abhsit being in a similar situation before, less than a year ago.

That's why he chose not to leave to Australia this week. Cause he is afraid of of the mob?

As far as I remember the theft of 6000 weapons plus other stuff happened over a period of 20 years. At least this was reported at the beginning as such and then was left out on following reports. Do use this now as the main reason for invoking ISA is a bit of over-reacting. And now we see the rewards of nearly absolute control being transferred to those who were/are in charge of weaponry storage is an oxymoron at its best.

As my earlier guess, May could turn into maydays.

It is needed. Well done.

For many of us it is our business, farang or not, as it affects our business.

Yes. We reside and trade here.

That's why he chose not to leave to Australia this week. Cause he is afraid of of the mob?

Perhaps. I do personally find this whole concept of Abhsit being "afraid" all a bit flawed given the tightrope he's managed to walk so far.

It is needed. Well done.

ISA is not suitable for a democratic country. It affects the freedom of ordinary people and the armies will abuse their power by using ISA. If there is violent that carry out by any individual, use the existing laws and courts. Don't you have that laws and courts? ISA is above the court. Why using ISA to put the army above the courts? Stupid.

I am Canadian. In 1982, Canadian chartered of rights and freedom was established in the ground to protect Canadians being abused by Canadian government. For example, using ISA to control people without the court system. Canadian government recognized the biggest abusive organization is itself (Canadian government = politicians). Therefore, the chartered of rights and freedom is placed above ALL LAWS (old and new). No one and no government can use or create a new law to bully Canadians. Cheer!

Thai people have to learn how to abolish ISA. How many times in Thai history that your own government (politicians) created new laws to bully you guys? ISA is rubbish to a democratic country. BELIEVE your existing laws and courts are sufficient to DEAL and PUNISH the wrongdoers. No reason to use ISA (Internal Security Act) as a political tool to abuse Thai and increase their power by putting the courts and laws in one single party - the army. Army's main duty is to protect invasion of other country. NOT to Attend Thai ! Wrong job functions and waste of tax payers' money. Wake up Thai and Be strong to fight for your rights. MAKE ISA HISTORY by choosing the right government. Canadian government dare to create the chartered in 1982 to REDUCE its power and to INCREASE the power of people (Canadian). Canadian government clearly stated that IT IS THE BIGGEST BULLY IF NOT UNDER CONTROL. Therefore Canadian Chartered of Rights and Freedom becomes so important for Canadians. We are safe from being abused by our own government (politicians).

Believe me, your existing Thai laws and court system are sufficient to run the country smoothly. As smooth as Thai silk. No need to put the whole country in the hand of your chief army. Ask them to get out from democracy. Use your police, existing laws and judges to run the country. Arrest the wrongdoers and punish them through court system by Thai judges. No machine guns na krap.

I do not belong to red or yellow or whatever the color of the group. I am Canadian. My issue is democracy and I always believe Thai police, existing laws and courts are enough to make Bangkok or Thailand safe. No need ISA. It is a toy that Thai politician like to play. I pray for your safety and recovery after the ISA in economic losses. The more ISA is implemented, the poor becomes poorer. The rich becomes richer. When you lose your job and cannot pay for installment because of ISA's negative impact in economy, the rich Thai who has a lot of cash will buy your property at very good price. ISA is good for rich Thai. If I was a rich Thai, i would think it is the best opportunity for me to buy and invest when ordinary people suffer and cannot pay installment. Do you want ISA? Good luck. Well, the rich Thai, get ready for your cash in your account to standby for cheap cheap investments.

Pray for all Thai. Be safe. No one dies, no one badly hurt.

"10. Order the "training at a special location" of suspects, in lieu of pressing charges against them, for up to six months (Article 31) – such training apparently requires the "consent" of the suspect, but with the threat of criminal procedures as alternative, the voluntariness of consent to such "training" is doubtful. In the absence of freely given consent, such training is therefore likely to amount to arbitrary detention.

Unless otherwise stated, none of the above provisions requires court authorisation for the powers to be exercised."

this is an imprisonment without a charge and without the court - just an administrative decision. No much less than "prisoner of war"

Both the red shirts and yellow shirts have set up international media and fund raising organizations. If any person from whicherver side is subjected to this "order", it will be claimed that they are a prisoner of war - and the World (with the exception of China) will hear and will take notice with negative consequences for Thailand.

Maybe they can sling people into gitmo

Yes, I can agree with what you say but don't forget you were appreciated ISA (martial law), so this democracy from your point of view? Anyway, I don't want to comment anymore.

Good for the government.

The UDD can insist that they have had peaceful rally's, which is true to a degree. Nonetheless, it has been less than a year ago when UDD or whatever name they were back then, attacked and killed innocent Bangkok residents, blew up buses, attempted to blow up a tanker in the Din Daeng area, and attacked government officials in Pattaya on another occasion.

The ISA has been invoked in the past and nobody's rights were violated. People were allowed to demonstrate, walk freely, etc. This is no more than preventive medicine. If certain members of the UDD begin to act violent again, disrupt the good folks of Bangkok, or "hold Bangkok hostage," as Jatuporn put it last week, then so be it. They know the laws, whether or not I agree with them, and will then be dealt with accordingly. I can only hope it does not happen, but they are aware and need to act civilized.

It is needed. Well done.

\

" violent terrorist movement "

So that's what you call the poor Isan farmers, Otop workers, weavers, bee keepers and common labors?

This ISA act is leverage to hold on to power, in that money and power corrupts and ultimate power corrupts completely.