Thailand To Jail Foreigners At Political Rallies

george

Thailand to jail migrants at political rallies: minister

BANGKOK (AFP) - Thailand will imprison and hand out heavy fines to any migrant workers who attend mass anti-government rallies in Bangkok this weekend, the labour minister said Tuesday.

Migrants would be subject to a five-year jail term and fines of up to 100,000 baht (3,100 dollars) if found among protesters loyal to fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra who are due to gather in the capital on Sunday.

"Employers will (also) be fined up to 100,000 baht for each migrant worker and (the migrant's) work permit will be cancelled immediately," Labour Minister Phaitoon Kaeothong said.

Thaksin's supporters, known as "Red Shirts" for the colour they wear, are expected to hold one of their biggest ever rallies to protest against a Supreme Court decision two weeks ago that seized most of the tycoon's fortune.

They are also demanding that the government quit and end what they perceive as a two-tier system of justice that gives preference to the country's Bangkok-based elites in the bureaucracy, military and palace.

The government has warned that the demonstrations could turn violent and is expected to endorse on Tuesday a tough security act that places the army in charge of handling the rallies.

Thailand's economy relies on workers from its poorer neighbours, but in recent months the country has become tougher on immigration at its borders and has been accused of widespread mistreatment of migrants.

Amnesty International's Thailand expert Benjamin Zawacki said the kingdom should not deny migrants their basic rights to express their political views by attending the rallies.

"Regardless of your legal status in a country, it should not affect your human rights, which include freedom of expression, freedom of assembly and freedom of association," said Zawacki.

Rights groups have denounced a new migrant registration policy brought in this month that forces more than one million workers to verify their nationalities with their home governments.

They say the policy puts the vulnerable group in greater danger of deportation and extortion by unscrupulous authorities.

afplogo.jpg

-- ©Copyright AFP 2010-03-09

Published with written approval from AFP.

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad news.....I had already purchased my bozo the clown outfit for this friday :)

i know just bought a red liverpool top. think had better put that back in the cupbaord

No worries, just tell everybody it is Man U and not Liverpool :D

In a country where I have to report my status every 90 days, beside the fact of holding a valid 1 year visa and paying a nice amount of taxes each year, I dont even want to be bothered to go to those Mass Rallies and protest against whatever they, the Red Shirts, protest against (Surpreme Court etc etc.) In a country where "protesters" throw feces in to the PM's House / Residence pretty much sums up most people opinion about these protesters.

The severe drought around the corner is nothing compared to what is planed, allowed and not allowed for the upcoming days. It is time to concentrate on more important issues than migrants showing up to the rallies. Not sure if the American Engineer, Burmese Contruction worker, Philippino Nanny, German Manager, Scottish Teacher or Australian Pub Owner had any strong interest in going there.

This Topic actually deserves a poll on whether some one even had an interest to participate, attend, watch or "show up" at these rallies.

Bad news.....I had already purchased my bozo the clown outfit for this friday :)

i know just bought a red liverpool top. think had better put that back in the cupbaord

How about the lummox farang at the Phuket red shirt rally at Cape Panwa a month or so ago. Is this retroactive?

In a country where I have to report my status every 90 days, beside the fact of holding a valid 1 year visa and paying a nice amount of taxes each year, I dont even want to be bothered to go to those Mass Rallies and protest against whatever they, the Red Shirts, protest against (Surpreme Court etc etc.) In a country where "protesters" throw feces in to the PM's House / Residence pretty much sums up most people opinion about these protesters.

The severe drought around the corner is nothing compared to what is planed, allowed and not allowed for the upcoming days. It is time to concentrate on more important issues than migrants showing up to the rallies. Not sure if the American Engineer, Burmese Contruction worker, Philippino Nanny, German Manager, Scottish Teacher or Australian Pub Owner had any strong interest in going there.

This Topic actually deserves a poll on whether some one even had an interest to participate, attend, watch or "show up" at these rallies.

I think the point of the report in the OP isn't to stop the odd farang (no pun intended) from wandering along to join the protest, but to stop any red sympathising employer of a large group of migrant workers from "volunteering" them to go along to the protest. How easy would it be for a factory owner employing, say, 1000 Burmese to tell them they're going to Bangkok to join the demonstration, and if they don't like it they can go home? It also doesn't require a huge leap in thinking to see that such a group could possibly be seen as expendable by the red shirt leadership, opening the way for violence enacted upon them or by them.

the turd throwing was nothing to do with politics, i thought everyone knew this by now, misinformation helps nobody and only antagonises situations.

I think the point of the report in the OP isn't to stop the odd farang (no pun intended) from wandering along to join the protest, but to stop any red sympathising employer of a large group of migrant workers from "volunteering" them to go along to the protest. How easy would it be for a factory owner employing, say, 1000 Burmese to tell them they're going to Bangkok to join the demonstration, and if they don't like it they can go home? It also doesn't require a huge leap in thinking to see that such a group could possibly be seen as expendable by the red shirt leadership, opening the way for violence enacted upon them or by them.

Sums it up perfectly!

I take it jounrnos will be OK :)

All but the migrant worker journos :D

I do get a kick out of AI condemning this. Protecting a migrant worker's right to participate in a political rally they would be paid to join? ummmm sorry but I am pretty sure that a Khmer migrant worker doesn't have that "right" under this constitution or the last one.

It is a move to prevent Thaksin's "elite" that employ 1000's of migrants from requiring them to go to participate in this insanity.

How about the lummox farang at the Phuket red shirt rally at Cape Panwa a month or so ago. Is this retroactive?

You missed the one in Chiang Mai ... pastey-white legs and black socks! I would have thought the fashion police at least would have issued a citation!

I think you are reading it correctly, I understand them wanting to stop workers from being paid to attend. However if the workers are here with legal documents why can't they protest? If they are not here with legal papers and are caught in the protests, then they should be fined/jailed/deported/whatever the current law/fine/punishment is for being an illegal, not special sentencing for being in the protest.

I think you are reading it correctly, I understand them wanting to stop workers from being paid to attend. However if the workers are here with legal documents why can't they protest? If they are not here with legal papers and are caught in the protests, then they should be fined/jailed/deported/whatever the current law/fine/punishment is for being an illegal, not special sentencing for being in the protest.

Why should anyone but thai go on the march,because they will ge paid.A few oap,who have been affected by the strong baht/weak gbp,may appear but non thai workers will be there in force when the payments come out.Only thais can vote so why should any non thai be there.

I do get a kick out of AI condemning this. Protecting a migrant worker's right to participate in a political rally they would be paid to join?

Precisely. What about the migrant workers' rights to not be forcibly taken to a demonstration where there is the very real threat of violence? I'm sure that these people who are poverty stricken enough to have to come and work in a country where they are seen as second class, are all just itching to take a few days off work in order to protest in Bangkok. And their employers are perfectly willing to let them. :)

the turd throwing was nothing to do with politics, i thought everyone knew this by now, misinformation helps nobody and only antagonises situations.

The one coming to the PM's house this morning, throwing cow feces had no political intentions? Wonder why he would make such an effort to take the bus from the Northeast of Thailand, get out at Mor Chit taking a taxi Suk Soi 31, then. The guy was 56 something and I do not believe he did it, because it is fun. Such an act is political in my humble opinion.

Is it ok to go and watch? Where is the best place to see it from?

Come on mate, switch on.......the headline actually said, "Thailand to jail foreigners at Political Rallies"....just being at one might get u thrown in, ur an easy target, will stand out like dogs balls and you don't really think the 'system' is going to care about what role you were playing there, do you?

:D:)

Why should anyone but thai go on the march,because they will ge paid.A few oap,who have been affected by the strong baht/weak gbp,may appear but non thai workers will be there in force when the payments come out.Only thais can vote so why should any non thai be there.

Maybe the current legal workers are not happy with the current treatment, maybe they want to be able to buy land, or whatever the reason... There are plenty of reasons why migrant workers or Farang expats might want to protest (I am not one of them). You are basically saying if you don't have the right to vote you don't have the right to voice an opinion to/of the current government. Again if they are here legally why can't they protest?

Could they be paid, sure... Could the Thai's protesting be paid, sure... But payments is all speculation. And peoples voices if they choose to express them should not be supressed because they can't vote...

Maybe the current legal workers are not happy with the current treatment, maybe they want to be able to buy land, or whatever the reason... There are plenty of reasons why migrant workers or Farang expats might want to protest (I am not one of them). You are basically saying if you don't have the right to vote you don't have the right to voice an opinion to/of the current government. Again if they are here legally why can't they protest?

Could they be paid, sure... Could the Thai's protesting be paid, sure... But payments is all speculation. And peoples voices if they choose to express them should not be supressed because they can't vote...

This protest is not about the treatment of migrant workers, or foreigners buying land, or whatever the reason... It is about bringing back a crook, who in his five years in direct charge and one year as puppet master, did nothing to improve the lot of migrant workers, or change the laws on foreign land ownership, or whatever. Would you go along to a "free Tibet" march because you wanted a pay rise?

My take on a decree that prohibits foreigners from attending a red rally ( which is world wide basic human right) , is that the government feels at some point they may have to open up with guns to stop any rioting. Killing a few foreigners would look really really bad. :)

My take on a decree that prohibits foreigners from attending a red rally ( which is world wide basic human right) , is that the government feels at some point they may have to open up with guns to stop any rioting. Killing a few foreigners would look really really bad. :)