Non-immigrant 'o' Visa

I am British in my 30's with a Thai wife and planning to go to Thailand early in the new year whilst my wife completes her Degree. I believe I can obtain a Non-Immigrant 'O' Visa on the basis of my marriage and initially this will be for three months (the visa - not my marriage!). When in Thailand and before the three months expires I can extend this to a one year visa - so I am told. My question is regarding proof of income and/or savings. At what stage has this to be shown? when I initially apply for the visa (in London) or when requesting the extension in Bkk?

Naturally this will have to be proven with a Thai bank book, in which case, if the proof is required here in London, and we were to transfer money into the Thai bank, how can we then prove the money is actually in the bank without posting the bank book over to Thailand (and back) to be updated?

I would also enquire what the current minimum amount is for proof of savings required by the authorities?

Many Thanks

You need to open a bank account in Thailand with a minimum of 200,000 baht at the time you apply for the 12 month extension. To get the visa based on marriage you need to take your marriage papers, your wife and her ID card to the Thai Embassy. If you plan to travel out of Thailand during the extension period, you must get re-entry permit/s from Immigration.

and my mind now put to rest!

Sorry to put your mind back in gear, but how early next year are you planning on getting here? The new requirements will be 400k in a bank account starting in July and your application for extension is usually only accepted during the last 30 days of a 90 day visa stay so if arrival after mid May you might require the higher amount.

If your stay is only going to be temporary you might prefer the freedom of a multi entry non immigrant visa as this one visa allows you to stay almost 15 months without re entry permits or address reporting requirements. You only have to travel out of country every 90 days and that could be a vacation trip with wife or just a border crossing by yourself. This type of visa only requires your marriage and could be obtained prior to travel here.

I am married to A Thai lady and have one child hey gave me a one year O visa in July no one asked me about money or savings etc.

Now as I don't have hundreds of thousands in the bank and I won't have what do you recon they will do next re newal day in 2004 tell me to leave?

In which case who will support and take care of my wife and child?

I don't have the money can't get the money and even if I had the money I would not simply park it in a Thai bank.

My opinion is that we all need to get together and petition our respective embassies etc to get some of this bullshit adjusted. After all Thai's going to live in Australia are treated as equals in every way granted they have a hard time getting a visa to start with but once its issued thats it they can become prime minister if they want.

Talking and venting here helps sometimes ( to make one feel better) but it does nothing to change the ludicrous situation.

All people in my situation need to take action legally if necessary - how about human rights organisations can they help?

I welcome any constructive comments from people in a similar situation.

I am married to A Thai lady and have one child hey gave me a one year O visa in July no one asked me about money or savings etc.

Who gave you the visa ? Was it a 12 month multiple entry visa obtained in Australia or was it a 12 month extension obtained in Thailand ? That 200,000 represents roughly $AUD7000 how are you taking care of your family ?

Stay clear of the Thai embassy.

Contact the Royal Thai Consul in Hull or B'ham.

If in OZ go to BNE, I got my Type "O" in 20 mins here,

no hassle :o it's a 12 month muti-entry one, so I have to do a visa run to Poipet

(Dodge City) every 90 days. I'm not married to a Thai nor do I have a Thai G/F or tin-lids to maintain. Good luck!

Now as I don't have hundreds of thousands in the bank and I won't have what do you recon they will do next re newal day in 2004 tell me to leave?

Nooky,

The bank balance requirement is not for your visa but for a one year visa extension from THAI Immigration once you are here in Thailand.

Without the extension you will have to leave the country every 90 days. On your last visa run, bring your paperwork, marriage certificate, copy wife's id and you will then receive another 12 month multiple entry visa.

The main advantage of the one year extension from THAI Immigration is you only need to report your address to Immigration every 90 days, without making visa runs.

If you do get the one year extension from THAI Immigration make sure to also get a re entry stamp before leaving the kingdom or your extension will be cancelled.

Nooky Bear...I'm an American English teacher in a similar situation. I'm married to my wife who is Thai and we moved here last year after living in the USA for a while. The amount of money required in the bank is certainly ridiculous for most of us and as you mentioned...human rights are definitely at stake here. I am always curious as to how many are in the same boat. good post