Why Ning Is Going To Bangkok Tonight In Her Red Shirt

Cnxforever

Not to mention that the poor themselves work very hard to keep themselves undereducated and 'under financed.' Is that a bottle or lotto ticket in your hand? Something with an engine that you can't afford but are financed to the hilt for in your dirt driveway? Playing a bit too much 'karma lotto' at the temple with funds/resources that are better kept for your own family? Sitting on your rear/napping instead of working? If so, hopefully you aren't going to blame the controlling minority for your decision(s) (and likely generation upon generation of poor decision making) for stunting your and your family's forward progress.

Work ethic, ability to handle money, responsibility ... these are not genetic predispositions, they are learned behaviors. Poor people are often notoriously bad with money when they get some. I think its sad that a few thousand baht is seen as a windfall to be enjoyed instead of a typical event to be handled with moderation. Perhaps they know too well that it is special event so you might as well make a big night of it.

Alcoholism, drug addiction and other serious social problems do seem to be widespread, but experiences before the age of 10 or so often define a person's life. If daddy's a drunk and beats up on mommy, the kid might try as hard as he can to move well beyond that later in life, but there is a very good chance he will have personality problems.

It's a vicious cycle, but in the end, people do need to take responsibility for their own actions and break the chain. Some can do it, many cannot.

Still, that in no way justifies systemic and cruel disregard for the poor who make up the majority of the people. Especially when it's in the interests of the overclass to keep them as vulnerable as possible -- so much easier to exploit them that way.

No, I don't blame the poor entirely for their own condition, but that's a safe way for their masters to feel. Same kind of things were said about the black slaves in America. Until there are truly equal opportunities -- or at least reasonable ones -- this condescending talk about lazy people is rubbish.

You want to give it a try, Heng? Start out in the ricefield with only a bicycle for transportation and a crap school system, corrupt officials, teachers and cops? Perhaps you can show us how it's done.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not to mention that the poor themselves work very hard to keep themselves undereducated and 'under financed.' Is that a bottle or lotto ticket in your hand? Something with an engine that you can't afford but are financed to the hilt for in your dirt driveway? Playing a bit too much 'karma lotto' at the temple with funds/resources that are better kept for your own family? Sitting on your rear/napping instead of working? If so, hopefully you aren't going to blame the controlling minority for your decision(s) (and likely generation upon generation of poor decision making) for stunting your and your family's forward progress.

Work ethic, ability to handle money, responsibility ... these are not genetic predispositions, they are learned behaviors. Poor people are often notoriously bad with money when they get some. I think its sad that a few thousand baht is seen as a windfall to be enjoyed instead of a typical event to be handled with moderation. Perhaps they know too well that it is special event so you might as well make a big night of it.

Alcoholism, drug addiction and other serious social problems do seem to be widespread, but experiences before the age of 10 or so often define a person's life. If daddy's a drunk and beats up on mommy, the kid might try as hard as he can to move well beyond that later in life, but there is a very good chance he will have personality problems.

It's a vicious cycle, but in the end, people do need to take responsibility for their own actions and break the chain. Some can do it, many cannot.

Still, that in no way justifies systemic and cruel disregard for the poor who make up the majority of the people. Especially when it's in the interests of the overclass to keep them as vulnerable as possible -- so much easier to exploit them that way.

No, I don't blame the poor entirely for their own condition, but that's a safe way for their masters to feel. Same kind of things were said about the black slaves in America. Until there are truly equal opportunities -- or at least reasonable ones -- this condescending talk about lazy people is rubbish.

You want to give it a try, Heng? Start out in the ricefield with only a bicycle for transportation and a crap school system, corrupt officials, teachers and cops? Perhaps you can show us how it's done.

A fair and balanced response.

I've worked almost non-stop since I was 9 years old, beginning with mowing lawns, then moving on to paperboy, dishwasher, fast food, etc etc etc. I now work 60-70 hours per week. Yes I have privileges, but I also have worked hard for them, consistently and tirelessly for some 30 years. In truth it was my mother who taught be to work hard, play fair, and have compassion for others.

There are opportunities in Thailand for the poor. They need only take advantage of them. Many have. Many have not. Most won't become wealthy, but then neither will I. I agree that there are a distinct lack of role models for many folks in this country. The cycle persists.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Ning has a very good point

but why do all these poor people think Thaksin will save them ? - baffles me completely !

Because he is the only PM that I know of -- I moved to Thailand in 1991 -- who actually focused on them. One policy was the 30-baht health care plan that said all hospitals must offer care to anyone for 30 baht; there were also lots of make-work projects. It seemed at the time that he was using government funds to "buy votes" from the poor, but isn't that what politicians do? -- make policies that make voters happy so they will vote for them again?

A key to it all is the urban/rural divide with BKK ruling and the countryside groveling.

It was the first time the rural underclass felt they had a champion to fight for them.

It's no use pointing out that Thaksin was possibly corrupt, etc. So are the rest so he's no different. The rural areas have been selling their votes since "democracy" began in Thailand. But Thaksin actually followed through on some promises that directly benefited them. That's why they still supoort him.

That's a fallacious assertion. Like saying we know X is guilty for murder but so is Y. So let them both go.

Edited by SpoliaOpima

I think I should post here to answer to some of the replies to Nings story.

I have come to this country at the tender age of 25. 25 years later I am still here and call Thailand my home. Most of this time except for the first 2 years in Bangkok - I have spent in the countryside and the last 15 years or so in- and outside Chiang Mai.

After I learned the language and got to know many "regular" Thais who do not speak much English - and their stories where fascinating to me.

I mention this because if Thais tell me a story in Thai it is not the same to me as if they would do it in English however good or bad they speak.

Those of you who speak Thai will understand - it would be the same as trying to translate a Thai song into English - it does not work - it will not be the same.

When she told me her story I first felt pitty for her - but when she went on I started admire her - not so much for what she had overcome - but more for what she had "become" - today she is a self-respecting women who knows what she wants.

The story is true - I had written it in "MS Word" and copied it here into the TV website. (So for those of you who saw something more in this - no there is no conspiracy)

I posted her story because I wanted to give the "red sea" in Bangkok a face - after reading so many verbal abuses here in this forum against the reds which are absolutly unnessecary - but I wrote it most of all provoke a discussion as to why certain people join the protests.

So please voice your opinion but don't call others idiots or stupid if you don't know them.

Since I now know a participant in the protests personally I am not interested in the politics on the streets of Bangkok - but see TV and news reports with different eyes - and so do my friends and her husband - we are worried.

We did not want her to go but she even took leave from her work and insisted - she also insisted that she is not marching for Thaksin - she knows he is thinking he is using them - but maybe he is the one who is used by them now ?? - he brought them together - and now that they know each other they might be able to force change in Thai society - without him. He might have miscalculated and is not needed anymore very soon.

This is just a start in a long and painfull process I believe - but once people have a taste of freedom - there is no turning back!

And she insisted to go because she wants change - she said "Thai people want change - but do nothing - change will not come by itself - we have to go and fight for it" - and who can argue with that? :)

And to those who think she does not exsist - she is real. Ning is a beautiful woman with a bright smile and a great personality.

We meet often, sometimes several times a week as she and her husband live in my neighbourhood. We meet for drinks and cook food and have great conversations together with other friends.

And for those of you who live in Chiang Mai - you might have even met her - she works in a well known hospital - as she felt when she started this job years ago - that it was the right job for her as she likes to help other people as good as she can.

I've lived in Thailand over 30 years and speak, read and write Thai, and lived in rural and urban Thailand. To you Ning is brave. To me she's brainwashed and very, very wrong. A bit like those who attended the Nuremberg rallies, spirited but brainwashed and on the wrong track. Just my opinion.

Edited by SpoliaOpima

To say the Democrat party had no irregularities in the election would be beyond naive.

Their case was dismissed by the courts in OBV bias whilst their political rivals were disbanded.

OK, I like to be called "naive" ...

For me, "the courts" are not just rubberstamping "convictions" made by "the mob",

some accusations are dismissed, some are withheld ...

It does not astonish me, it's called JUSTICE, and it works like that all over the world !

:)

The "mob" that found that the Democrat Party had bribed other parties to boycott the 2006 election, thereby precipitating a constitutional crisis, was the Attorney General's Office. It was they who recommended that the Democrat Party be dissolved.

That the Constitutional Court saw fit to ban the PPP but leave the Democrat Party completely intact would come as no surprise to anyone familiar with the traditional power alliances.

If that's your idea of justice, you're welcome to it. It doesn't work like that all over the world. In some instances, the judiciary isn't following a political agenda, as it does in Thailand. They're actually genuinely independent.

In any event, let the whole thing blow over. Another election in a year or two and the Democrat Party loses again. If I were a Constitutional Court judge, I'd keep my diary free after that. It could get busy.

Oh really? :)

June 21, 1990

Why Won't Mandela Renounce Violence?

By David G. Sanders; David G. Sanders is a minority staff consultant to the House Foreign Affairs Committee.WASHINGTON— Who is the real Nelson Mandela? Before his supporters drape him in the garments of Abraham Lincoln or Martin Luther King Jr., they should take a close look.

Clearly, as deputy president of the African National Congress, Mr. Mandela has views regarding post-apartheid South Africa that are of great interest. But so are those of President F. W. de Klerk, Chief Mangosuthu Buthelezi of the Inkatha organization, the leaders of the Pan-African Congress and other principals in the dialogue about South Africa's future.

Understandably, Americans are eager to hear Mr. Mandela's opinions delivered in person, after his release from 27 years of imprisonment. But he, in turn, needs to answer one simple question: Why won't he and the A.N.C. renounce violence?

While armed resistance is justified in certain circumstances, growing violence throughout South Africa now threatens the process of peaceful reform. Clearly, Mr. Mandela's stature should now be used to preach a message of nonviolence and civil disobedience.

Dr. King advocated nonviolence. ''The method of nonviolent resistance is effective in that it has a way of disarming opponents,'' Dr. King said. ''It exposes their moral defenses, weakens their morale and at the same time works on their conscience. It makes possible for the individual to struggle for moral ends through moral means.'' In sharp contrast to Dr. King, Mr. Mandela continues to call for an ''armed struggle.''

Despite Mr. Mandela's much-publicized meeting with Chief Buthelezi to call for an end to fighting between the A.N.C. and Inkatha in Natal Province, the rising death toll makes the prospect of serious negotiations increasingly remote.

Mr. Mandela's conflicting public statements on violence may be prolonging the suffering. At a May 26 rally in Atterigeville, Mr. Mandela said of rival black groups: ''There are organizations which have imaginary armies, who have not conducted a single armed struggle in this country, who criticize us for trying to secure peace. Our patience is not likely to last very long.'' Two days later, the A.N.C. clashed with members of the Azanian People's Organization, a militant black-consciousness movement, in Maokeng, Orange Free State. Seven people were injured, three of them seriously.

The stain of violence has even touched Mr. Mandela's wife, Winnie, and her personal bodyguard squad, the ''Mandela United Football Club.'' The brutal beating and stabbing death last year of James (Stompie) Mokhetsi Seipei, a 14-year-old black youth accused by the defendants of collaboration, is a shocking tragedy close to the Mandela inner circle. The Government insists that Mrs. Mandela had no role in the beatings or killing. Nevertheless, two children who survived the beatings alleged in court testimony that Mrs. Mandela beat Stompie and flogged him with a sjambok, a leather whip often used by the South African police.

These and other acts of A.N.C. violence and intimidation call into question the group's commitment to political pluralism. The concept of pluralism is founded in tolerance for opposing views. The violence and intimidation of apartheid are what Mr. Mandela seeks to wring out of South African society. It seems unlikely he will achieve that through violence and intimidation.

In this regard, Dr. King once wrote: ''This, I feel, is one of the greatest tragedies of Communism. Read Lenin as he says 'Lying, deceit and violence are justifiable means to bring about a classless society.' This is where the principle of nonviolence breaks with Communism and any other method which holds to the same belief. . . . So, in the long run, destructive means cannot bring about constructive ends, because the ends are pre-existent in the means.''

Even Mr. Mandela's most ardent disciples should admit that he would do far better to associate himself more closely with the words of Dr. King and Gandhi than those of Lenin.

Americans must question Mr. Mandela on the A.N.C.'s use of violence. Those of us who are genuinely interested in his opinions regarding a post-apartheid South Africa must neither be swayed by the adulation of his admirers nor the contempt of his critics.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/06/21/opinion/...agewanted=print

Mandela and Mugabe both embraced violence, but one could not give it up

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...bwe.southafrica

Edited by Ulysses G.

Unfortunately, there is a deeply entrenched controlling minority who work very hard to keep the masses undereducated. It is their main means of control. This control will not be surrendered without a fight.

Heng, you are correct of course. Problem is, the country belongs to the ethnic majority and not the foreign minority. I would not want to live in Zimbabwe either but it remains their country and their right to self determination trumps all other political considerations.

The country 'belongs' to no one. It's divided up into parcels of land/dirt like most places on the planet, people work, save, and pay for these parcels, and the owners name(s) is written on the back.

:D

Try getting an ethnic Thai child into a predominantly Chinese school and your question will answer itself.

The obvious solution would be for ethnic Thais to create their own equal and hopefully better schools. That's what most groups who didn't like the status quo have done throughout history. Others just continually ask for handouts along the lines of: "Why aren't their more _____ owners in the NFL? Why aren't there more _____ pilots? Why aren't there more _____ CEO's?"

... all followed by a pause to where some other party is expect to just drop one of these folks into a position that they didn't work or build their way into.

Unfortunately, there is a deeply entrenched controlling minority who work very hard to keep the masses undereducated. It is their main means of control. This control will not be surrendered without a fight.

Thanks for that Heng.

To be sure there are many hard working rural Thais. Whenever I go the village however I don't see them. I see people who work a half day and call it quits. Start a job for a few days, get the pay, get drunk, and don't show up for a week and by then someone else is doing their job. I see people earning 4500 bt per month but spending 3000 on whiskey, drinking every day. I see fathers at 45 years old who have retired and live off the wages of their 20 year old daughters. I see the drug dealers with the flashy new motorcycle. I see dirty kids running around without any kind of parental supervision, while mom is over at the neighbor's house playing hi-low. I see the parade of people coming by to try to get me to pay for alcohol for them. I see able-bodied men lounging around on hammocks waiting around for the harvest that won't be ready for another 14 weeks. Perhaps this is because most of the people left in the village are the wasters who aren't off in BKK or the local amphur muang working to support their families. I'm not sure. But the levels of alcoholism, gambling, sloth, and laziness I see whenever we head up to the village is very disturbing.

On the other hand there are the small business owners, tuk tuk drivers, and other assorted laborers who do work hard, and they more or less end up taking care of everyone else in the village, along with what gets sent back from those working in the city. In the city I see people working, scraping by, and basically being shat on by wealthier Thais. It is these groups of people that both need and deserve a leg up.

You're welcome. I've seen all that as well. The apologists usually counter with something along the lines of... 'but they have no hope, so of course they are always drunk and gamble it all away.'

I've seen the latter as well, and IMO the only leg up these people need can and will be created by themselves and their discipline not to be part of the former group mentioned above.

Problem is that people like Ning are used.The so called pieces of cake were a marketing gimmick causing the house holds a doubling of their debt.Even the much lauded health nscheme did exist in another form already.Really helping is Abhisit,s scheme:free school till 16 years with all costs paid by government.Education is the solution.When Ning is intelligent why doesn,t she study with the help of her farang husband.Then she will know that all the recent misery in Thailand is caused by Taksin.My wife wasn,t allowed by the family to prolong her school after P.3.Now she is prinyah tho and hates Taksin.See for the facts about Taksin "thaicommentscensored".Egon

Try getting an ethnic Thai child into a predominantly Chinese school and your question will answer itself.

The obvious solution would be for ethnic Thais to create their own equal and hopefully better schools. That's what most groups who didn't like the status quo have done throughout history. Others just continually ask for handouts along the lines of: "Why aren't their more _____ owners in the NFL? Why aren't there more _____ pilots? Why aren't there more _____ CEO's?"

... all followed by a pause to where some other party is expect to just drop one of these folks into a position that they didn't work or build their way into.

Heng, again you are correct. But, again, the problem with your argument is that they own their country and can do whatever they want with it. The degree of intelligence deficit represented in your argument is significant but, it does not change the absolute right of the native ethnic majority to self determination. Immigrants like myself, have a very limited role in this process.

Some weaker countries get colonized. Others who are stronger and can resist colonization are often destroyed from within by parasites. We don't get to judge when they are actually better off, they do. A person living in Zimbabwe today may actually consider himself much better off than when the country was under Rhodesia and ruled by apartheid. We westerners probably see the country as having been set back a hundred years. A matter of perspective and again, it is their country.

The rights and freedoms we enjoy in my country (UK) were not given to us by the ruling classes. They were taken from them.

Yes, in ENGLAND!

In this scenario no one has the intention to give anything to anyone except revenge!

Ning is going to wake up from another bad dream into an even harsher reality!

Just look back at his reign, the iron fist he was ruling with, war on drugs... the south,

intimidation of anyone who dared to criticize anything he did or said!

do not even think of what is going to happen if he manages to get back at the helm... :D

The country 'belongs' to no one. It's divided up into parcels of land/dirt like most places on the planet, people work, save, and pay for these parcels, and the owners name(s) is written on the back.

Virtually any country 'belongs' .. albeit temporarily .. to any group powerful or clever enough to control it. Then when some more powerful or more politically manipulative group(s) comes along, it belongs to them .. until ..

If you think land ownership is 'permanent', maybe you should do a bit more research on "nationalization". Venezuela has made some news recently.

More likely it's somewhere in the middle. Height, weight, and hundreds of other physical characteristics are genetic, I don't think there's any need to be PC about it and pretend like we're all born with identical mental ability. Any minor difference in any kind of ability is only going to be magnified over time and generations.

Yeah, I hear ya.

Sing it Pavarotti.

And as usual, the same turn down the old same soi. "It's not me keeping me down (nor is it the bottle/lotto ticket/etc. in my hand), it's you."

The ol' "I could out slam dunk Michael Jordan if only the basket was lowered about 4 feet," argument, eh? To the masses, start by paying off your own square piece of dirt. It's at least a stable springboard for the next generation. The next gen has no business having to try to pay this piece of dirt off, after all you've had an entire lifetime to do it. Gen2, try to pay down that shophouse and maybe add another. Gen3, rinse and repeat. Wallah, when your grandkids are born, they own half the block. There will be plenty of folks hanging around wondering how you they did it, but it's not rocket science. And on and on and on... try to keep the momentum up, keep instilling those values, and of course ignore the folks who say 'bet you couldn't squander it all and do it all again!' and 'how about those handouts already?'

Edited by Heng

Heng, again you are correct. But, again, the problem with your argument is that they own their country and can do whatever they want with it. The degree of intelligence deficit represented in your argument is significant but, it does not change the absolute right of the native ethnic majority to self determination.

I disagree. Your stand is that 'no matter how unable or unfit, you get the title/trophy/chanote anyway.'

There's already a process to where you can get the title, but again, that takes a lot of hard work and forward thinking/saving/investing.

Virtually any country 'belongs' .. albeit temporarily .. to any group powerful or clever enough to control it. Then when some more powerful or more politically manipulative group(s) comes along, it belongs to them .. until ..

If you think land ownership is 'permanent', maybe you should do a bit more research on "nationalization". Venezuela has made some news recently.

Your definition of 'ownership' is abstract and relatively inapplicable to the lives of most people anywhere, except perhaps in war zones where whatever you own may indeed disappear or be taken at any given moment.

Land and property ownership is about as basic and quantifiable (throughout history as well) as it gets if we're talking about ownership. Nationalization is real, but about on par threat wise as any given major natural disaster.

Heng, you are correct of course. Problem is, the country belongs to the ethnic majority and not the foreign minority. I would not want to live in Zimbabwe either but it remains their country and their right to self determination trumps all other political considerations.

Only Thais can own land in Thailand. If your particular group managed to obtain thai passports and citizenship, good for you. But, by doing so, you voluntarily subject yourself to majority rule. I guess your family accepted Thai citizenship thinking your superior intelligence would ultimately allow you to manipulate all the rules in your favor. Perhaps even get a dozen or so consecutive prime ministers elected to maintain your goals. Good for you and yours. But, it remains that you are not in the majority here and will be out voted. You will continually have to work behind the scenes to get the guy who best supports your views into office. Making sure that your guys are the only ones on the ballot is just a beginning.

What a load of <deleted>.

Ning is going to Bangkok because she id being paid to do so.

She was told that poor Mr Thaksin has a lot of his money stolen by this bad government, and Mr Thaksin loves all the people from Rural Thailand.

Ning cannot understand the complexities of the Court ruling that was handed down the other day, and how it showed that Thaksin has not legally earned all of the money that he has.

Ning cannot understand this because of the Standard of education she received.

The education system that was set up by Thaksin and others who have led this country.

This whole thing is about a greedy man in Dubai who wants his money back at any cost.

If ning and others get hurt, Mr Thaksin will not be there to wipe the blood off.

Well put.

Ning's personal story may be sad and touching but it's a story seen all over the world (ask any kid picked on at school or any woman raped) and there's no connection between it and putting on a red shirt and joining the hordes of mindless or opportunistic. The problem is universal because the problem is human nature. And it will not change.

A lot of you guys could use some perspective other than that fed to you by your ex bar girl wifes.

No offense, but I suspect that many of you do not know how hard it is to have to write out a huge check to a government tax agency (or go through the troubles/take the risk) of hiding/laundering those funds. When I was younger and not making money, you know, Middle School, I was more idealistic. I viewed the poor as being held down by the rich and I felt that everyone should be doing everything they can to help the person behind them. Then once I actually started realizing how competitive the world is and how much more effort I was putting in compared to everyone else and how much harder I will have to work to get to where I want to get, I am happy that other people are lazy and poor. I want to better myself and my family and I don't understand all these people trying to penalize me for doing so. If you want modesty then turn on C-Span and listen to a Democrat, cause I sweated hard for every chip in my stack. And what, am I supposed to give it all away to a charity when I die because its not fair that my kids should benefit from not having a lazy father? Life is not fair. Go cry about it.

WHY NING IS GOING TO BANGKOK TONIGHT IN HER RED SHIRT. (The directors cut)

She is going in a red shirt because it was free, her travel to get there was free, her food will be free and she will get a free footclapper and 300 baht a day. She has nothing else to do this weekend and Bangkok seems like the place where the party is at!

She will do as shes told like the rest of the uneducated masses from up north and follow the smell of baht notes.

She knows no better because she had an alcoholic mother and her dad buggered off.

Only Thais can own land in Thailand. If your particular group managed to obtain thai passports and citizenship, good for you. But, by doing so, you voluntarily subject yourself to majority rule. I guess your family accepted Thai citizenship thinking your superior intelligence would ultimately allow you to manipulate all the rules in your favor. Perhaps even get a dozen or so consecutive prime ministers elected to maintain your goals. Good for you and yours. But, it remains that you are not in the majority here and will be out voted. You will continually have to work behind the scenes to get the guy who best supports your views into office. Making sure that your guys are the only ones on the ballot is just a beginning.

All are under majority rule, but majority 'rule' whether in bold print or not has little to do with the day to day lives of the majority. Sure, they control the almighty hose of gov't spending, and can spray it wherever they see fit (and often spray it primarily in the direction of their own interests and constituents)... but it doesn't change the physics of things, and everyone beneath them, majority, minority, etc... still control their own destinies as to how they decide to collect said droplets and all other non-related moisture randomly bouncing/floating around. IMO it's not productive or practical to keep your eyes focused solely on the giant hose.

As for manipulating rules and superior intellect... nothing so grand or pronounced is needed for a life of comfort. Myself I only know how to do a few things moderately well: retailing/wholesaling goods at a 5-XX% profit margin and not spending more than I make, and investing the rest. I think I must have missed the chapter where I can manipulate the rules, which I'd love to do.

As for all the voting references, I might be inclined to agree if I were ever part of a group connected to anything remotely political, or even if I were ever fortunate enough to benefit from anyone in a political office.

Edited by Heng

The ol' "I could out slam dunk Michael Jordan if only the basket was lowered about 4 feet," argument, eh? To the masses, start by paying off your own square piece of dirt. It's at least a stable springboard for the next generation. The next gen has no business having to try to pay this piece of dirt off, after all you've had an entire lifetime to do it. Gen2, try to pay down that shophouse and maybe add another. Gen3, rinse and repeat. Wallah, when your grandkids are born, they own half the block. There will be plenty of folks hanging around wondering how you they did it, but it's not rocket science. And on and on and on... try to keep the momentum up, keep instilling those values, and of course ignore the folks who say 'bet you couldn't squander it all and do it all again!' and 'how about those handouts already?'

Sounds good, but rarely happens. You're assuming a relatively level playing field, but it is not, and it takes a special one indeed to break the cycle. Not many of us are that special. When you learn early on that life is a shit sandwich, perhaps the obvious response it to try to escape through alcohol, etc.

Education, outreach, micro-loans to get a bit of operating capital-- these are the kinds of basic and profoundly important things that are needed. Not platitudes from the privileged (even if you type them in bold).

My challenge remains: give it a shot Heng and update us on your progress. Start from less than zero and let us know how it goes. It's actually simple, you say smugly.

Reading that made me want to vomit. Can someone explain to me what this girl wants and what on earth its got to do with this rally ? I honestly don't get it.

She's probably secretly in love with men in brown since she's 15, and wants one of them to get back in charge, so she can get again some pieces of the cake trown at her, while he bleeds his own country to fill his pockets....

Edited by onenoise

Governments often change laws to allow foreign ownership of things to bring investment into the country. Like, in Thailand, allowing foreigners to own apartments (as long as it's less than 50% of the block).

Edited by anotherpeter

The saddest part of this story is that Ning still can not see when she is being used and abused! She is letting herself be used again by the "rich and connected people" - only this time the wear red shirts! She does not want to get violent but she goes with a group that has demonstrated violence the past and can't even wait a few months for a real chance to say what they want to say by voting?

She is still misguided and unfortunately by a person whom was a little smarter than the rest in giving a few prices of cake to the poor while stealing them blind - and now gaining their support even after being convicted of high crimes against the poor - Thaksin!

Your story of Ning in so contradictory why didn't you try to make her understand herself? On one hand she says "even if it takes a long long time" but she goes with a group of red shirts demanding the government step down NOW!

Sad state of affairs and I hope she does not get drawn into any violence that may happen!