Why Ning Is Going To Bangkok Tonight In Her Red Shirt

Cnxforever

My wife was born in circumstances even worse than Ning. She worked as a construction laborer from age 12, got a job in a fish canning factory at 16, was eventually promoted to QA inspector, taught herself to read and write English, taught herself to use a computer for word processing and spreadsheets, taught herself how to be a jewelry photographer, etc. Now she's 30 years old and will start 4 years of study for a high school diploma. She plans to have a master's degree in education when she's 40 and work as teacher. She's not going to Bangkok this weekend - she's staying in Surin to go to our daughter's school performance tonight and supervise the workers building the second addition to our house, which she planned and designed herself. She has no anger against society, preferring to focus her energy on improving our child's future. Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't believe that 5 pages have been created on this thread on an unverified story from an unverified source.

The story is as phony as the notion that the reds are not about Thaksin.

I see he still hasn't responded to Admin's request.

A few years ago before the coup many thought that on balance Thaksin had brought some prosperity & progress to Thailand's ecomomy and society but that was back then - we were pragmatic.

But that was then and this is now and surely for the good of the country , for its image, its economy and its tourism the country needs to move on and accept the current democracy and its leadership and continue to evolve democratically and economically. Thaksin and his followers need to get over their setbacks and adapt to the present. Thaksin needs to retire.

I can't believe that 5 pages have been created on this thread on an unverified story from an unverified source.

Consider the OP. Of course it's not a true story. Have a look at what he posted back in February:

One poster said:

"Thaksin did NOT come from a poor family, his farther owned serveral businesses and was an MP, they might not have been a rich as they are now, but they were definitely well to do."

To which, Cnxforever replied:

Who gave you that idea?? His father did not have the education to become an MP - if you read thaksins story you will exactly know what he did - but you are to blinded by your hatred of him to even try to find the truth! go to San kampheng and talk to old people who know his family a long time - they will tell you the truth.

and

You can also read his life story there and then you will understand why the poor Thais love him - because he and his family had to struggle to survive as millions of Thais do today.

Read the story of a little boy who got up every morning at 5 to help his parents sell coffee and clothes before going to school - and compare him to his enemies who have mostly been born stinking rich by stealing from the Thai people for hundreds of years.

When in fact (quoted from Thaksin's Wikipedia entry):

Thaksin's great-great-grandfather Seng Sae Khu was a Hakka Chinese immigrant from Meizhou, Guangdong who arrived in Siam in the 1860s and settled in Chiang Mai in 1908. His eldest son, Chiang Sae Khu, was born in 1890 and married a Thai woman, Saeng Somna. Chiang's eldest son, Sak, adopted the Thai surname Shinawatra ("does good routinely") in 1938, and the rest of the family followed suit.

Thaksin's father, Lert, was born in Chiang Mai in 1919 and married Yindi Ramingwong. In 1968, Lert Shinawatra entered politics and became an MP for Chiang Mai.

Seng Sae Khu made his fortune through tax farming. The Khu/Shinawatra family later founded Shinawatra Silks and then moved into finance, construction and property development. Lert Shinawatra opened a coffee shop and several businesses, and grew oranges and flowers in Chiang Mai's San Kamphaeng district. By the time Thaksin was born, the extended Shinawatra family was one of the richest and most influential in Chiang Mai.

Thaksin is no less a "privileged elite" than anyone in government now, and perhaps more so than most. And from a family of despicable tax farmers. Thaksin learned quite a lot from his family. And Cnxforever is groveling sycophant who obviously doesn't object to creating fiction, including his puerile and cliché ridden "Ning" yarn.

You can also read his life story there and then you will understand why the poor Thais love him - because he and his family had to struggle to survive as millions of Thais do today.

Read the story of a little boy who got up every morning at 5 to help his parents sell coffee and clothes before going to school - and compare him to his enemies who have mostly been born stinking rich by stealing from the Thai people for hundreds of years.

Oh, is the OP who gave that 'red' website telling everybody that they should 'educate' themselves?

What was that website?, I wonder if we will find Nings 'story' on there

Consider the OP. Of course it's not a true story.

And Cnxforever is groveling sycophant who obviously doesn't object to creating fiction, including his puerile and cliché ridden "Ning" yarn.

But as any good troll, he got a number of people believing this absurd fiction.

Also, as a proper troll, he hasn't posted on the thread since the OP.

Edited by cdb11

My wife....has no anger against society, preferring to focus her energy on improving our child's future. Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

Good for her, but did she do that all on her own, or did she have financial help from you? Of course those who can catch a break have a chance to show their potential. Unfortunately, those given basic support to reach their potential are in the minority.

Even if Ning is a composite or a work of fiction, most of us know girls who have had these awful challenges -- I know I have.

To me, Thaksin's not important at all, but the fact the poor are mobilized is most important. I hope they throw the Sino-Thai elite out on the street and see how well they survive. A couple of posters in this thread are also welcome to join them ...

Come to think of it, I have never seen such support for Thaksin on these boards as I have over these past few days, must be a coincidence...

Well, after so much witchcraft today from Thaksin's army and himself what can one expect? The ladies in red rock though.

:)

Oh, is the OP who gave that 'red' website telling everybody that they should 'educate' themselves?

What was that website?, I wonder if we will find Nings 'story' on there

It's thaksinlive.com. Have a look at Thaksin's heart-rending story ("I Built My Life") which describes his life of growing up in poverty as a poor farmboy, which of course is a lie. Just an example:

My father had a motorcycle and struggled to make ends meet. He opened a small, country-style coffee corner... My dad grew oranges and bananas. I sold banana leaves (people used them as today’s plastic bags) and flowers attached on banana’s trunk. Money from that was used to buy food back home. I grew up all my life like this, making a living with hard works. (That's right, his father the MP who was part of one of the wealthiest families in Northern Thailand)

This isn't about Thaksin. If it wasn't Thaksin, it would be someone else.

Too bad for the reds, they didn't choose that "someone else."

They've failed miserably because of that choice.

Well the fat lady hasn't sung quite yet ...

And anyway, Thaksin chose them, they didn't choose Thaksin.

This is a class struggle - it was always going to be an uphill battle.

It's thaksinlive.com. Have a look at Thaksin's heart-rending story ("I Built My Life") which describes his life of growing up in poverty as a poor farmboy, which of course is a lie. Just an example:

My father had a motorcycle and struggled to make ends meet. He opened a small, country-style coffee corner... My dad grew oranges and bananas. I sold banana leaves (people used them as today’s plastic bags) and flowers attached on banana’s trunk. Money from that was used to buy food back home. I grew up all my life like this, making a living with hard works. (That's right, his father the MP who was part of one of the wealthiest families in Northern Thailand)

There were no coffee corners around that time, were there? I guess opium houses are more likely.

My wife....has no anger against society, preferring to focus her energy on improving our child's future. Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

Good for her, but did she do that all on her own, or did she have financial help from you? Of course those who can catch a break have a chance to show their potential. Unfortunately, those given basic support to reach their potential are in the minority.

Even if Ning is a composite or a work of fiction, most of us know girls who have had these awful challenges -- I know I have.

To me, Thaksin's not important at all, but the fact the poor are mobilized is most important. I hope they throw the Sino-Thai elite out on the street and see how well they survive. A couple of posters in this thread are also welcome to join them ...

She's had financial help from me (limited, as I am by no means well-off) since we were married 6 years ago, but from 12-24 she did it all on her own.

Look what you have done now; you made me cry.

Tell Ning it's not her country that doesn't love her, it's her mother (and father) that never loved nor cared for her. Lucky she had her grandmom. Maybe she could blame the selfish politicians who don't want to invest in education because then they can't buy people to vote for them anymore. Very sad story.

Using the poor and uneducated is not a new story. Covering this in heartbreaking storys is nothing new as well. Propaganda... as we all (should) know.

But I have to admit the story is written very good. Although me knowing after a few sentence it is not for real I could not stop reading.

She's had financial help from me (limited, as I am by no means well-off) since we were married 6 years ago, but from 12-24 she did it all on her own.

Throw out the "Sino-Thai elite"? What do you think Thaksin is?

Using the poor and uneducated is not a new story. Covering this in heartbreaking storys is nothing new as well. Propaganda... as we all (should) know.

But I have to admit the story is written very good. Although me knowing after a few sentence it is not for real I could not stop reading.

I have talked to hundreds of people like this, they're real, they do exist, but not for purpose and choice of using them for propaganda.

Still, the insults from PAD during their rampage has made it worst.

This government doesn't care either.

Yes it is probably propaganda, but its interesting propaganda. In the small chance Ning is real, she is now famous and could make a mint with a book/movie deal. Kind of like My Name Lon.

The rights and freedoms we enjoy in my country (UK) were not given to us by the ruling classes. They were taken from them.

Actually bifftastic that's not entirely true and I speak as someone who has studied British nineteenth and twentieth century history.The reality is that it was a particularly British mixture of give and take.The working class certainly battled for the franchise and a fairer share of resources, the Chartists being the most famous but with the struggle taken up by a mass movement culminating in an independent Labour Party.In the middle, upper class liberals promoted social reform and an embryonic welfare state, though actually Germany under Bismarck was the pioneer here.Most interestingly however to my mind is that the British ruling elite saw which way the wind was blowing and with a spirit of enlightened self interest shared their economic resources, economic influence and political power.They were clever enough to understand that a smaller slice of an ever increasing pie size was still a good deal.This is probably simplifying it too much but it captures the essence.You are certainly right that the working class demands were the catalyst, but one's left with the impression that the British ruling class was exceedingly canny.Despite the tactical retreat it made they still exercised huge power and influence - and still do.

The contrast with Thailand is striking where the elite seem to have no idea of enlightened self interest, ie the sacrifices which must be made to preserve part - perhaps even most - of what they hold.Unlike their British equivalents they don't seem to understand that the old rigid order is doomed and without flexibility their fate will be the Russian or French, not the British model.Odd really that Korn Chavakanij who knows all this as well as I do seems to shrink from its practical application if his Facebook musings are anything to go by.Abhisit I suspect understands very well and despite the old order and military leaning on him, I hope will be given a chance to steer the country through.

Well the fat lady hasn't sung quite yet ...

And anyway, Thaksin chose them, they didn't choose Thaksin.

This is a class struggle - it was always going to be an uphill battle.

:) Can I read minds? :D

I must agree she was unique and when I heard her the first time it hit me like a missile. Believe me, some of the Som Tum ladies here have a volume just like this. :D

Edited by elcent

Yes it is probably propaganda, but its interesting propaganda. In the small chance Ning is real, she is now famous and could make a mint with a book/movie deal. Kind of like My Name Lon.

Real or not, unfortunately there are many thousands of 'Nings' in Thailand.

Throw out the "Sino-Thai elite"? What do you think Thaksin is?

He's an upcountry gatecrasher. Nowhere near the pedigree that the present PM has.

So there are different levels of sino-thai elite now? Throw out the Bangkok Sino-Thai elite, and replace them with the Chiang Mai Sino-Thai elite.

The rights and freedoms we enjoy in my country (UK) were not given to us by the ruling classes. They were taken from them.

Actually bifftastic that's not entirely true and I speak as someone who has studied British nineteenth and twentieth century history.The reality is that it was a particularly British mixture of give and take.The working class certainly battled for the franchise and a fairer share of resources, the Chartists being the most famous but with the struggle taken up by a mass movement culminating in an independent Labour Party.In the middle, upper class liberals promoted social reform and an embryonic welfare state, though actually Germany under Bismarck was the pioneer here.Most interestingly however to my mind is that the British ruling elite saw which way the wind was blowing and with a spirit of enlightened self interest shared their economic resources, economic influence and political power.They were clever enough to understand that a smaller slice of an ever increasing pie size was still a good deal.This is probably simplifying it too much but it captures the essence.You are certainly right that the working class demands were the catalyst, but one's left with the impression that the British ruling class was exceedingly canny.Despite the tactical retreat it made they still exercised huge power and influence - and still do.

The contrast with Thailand is striking where the elite seem to have no idea of enlightened self interest, ie the sacrifices which must be made to preserve part - perhaps even most - of what they hold.Unlike their British equivalents they don't seem to understand that the old rigid order is doomed and without flexibility their fate will be the Russian or French, not the British model.Odd really that Korn Chavakanij who knows all this as well as I do seems to shrink from its practical application if his Facebook musings are anything to go by.Abhisit I suspect understands very well and despite the old order and military leaning on him, I hope will be given a chance to steer the country through.

"I care not what puppet is placed upon the throne of England to rule the Empire on which the sun never sets. The man who controls Britain's money supply controls the British Empire, and I control the British money supply."

Nathan Mayer Rothschild

Real or not, unfortunately there are many thousands of 'Nings' in Thailand.

For sure there are. Never wanted to negliate the fact that this story happens like this thousends and thousends times.

But written like this it is clear to see it is for propaganda purposes.

Re-write the identical story, only changing a few names here and there and it could be a propaganda piece for just about any Thai political party. Come to think of it, it could work as a propaganda piece for just about any developing county.

Edited by Moonrakers

Re-write the identical story, only changing a few names here and there and it could be a propaganda piece for just about any Thai political party. Come to think of it, it could work as a propaganda piece for just about any developing county.

It would read a little lame, if it was used has a propaganda piece for Burma or N. Korea.

I am a foreigner with no particular political views, however I do know the present government was not voted for by the Thai people, so can understand some resentment. Especially when they will never learn about the usage of Mr T's money (T money) particularly the siphoned off interest accrued.

What probably many uneducated people don't understand is that the Government in Thailand is NOT elected by the people. The Government is formed by the parliament and by the elected (and appointed) members of the parliament. Once a vote is given to a member of the parliament, the people's participation ends. The elected member of the Parliament is free and unbound to express his opinion and vote in the Parliament.

The present PM Aphisit has been elected by the present parliament, i.e. by the same group of people who previously had elected Samak and then Somchai. If Aphisit has not been voted for by the Thai people, then neither Samak nor Somchai have been voted for by the Thai people. (No double standard there,please.)

I would suggest to get familiar with Thai politics and the procedures as set forth the the Constitution before writing such non-sense.

If the Red Shirts want to directly elect the Government, then a major change of the Constitution is necessary. Direct election of the Government has never been in any Thai constitution as far as I can see. Thailand is a parliamentary democracy, sometimes "corrected" by the military. :)