Why Ning Is Going To Bangkok Tonight In Her Red Shirt

Cnxforever

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I just came back from a 1,700 km trip, up north to Tak, Mae Sot, Mae Sariang, Hot and down again. It really strikes me that when driving, I see lot's of yellow flags all the way up to Nakhorn Sawan and only occasional red flags even in Kamphaeng Phet, Tak and the southern part of Mae Hong Son. The sales department report that the company sales staff uniform (which has a bit of red in it) is causing problems also in the North-East, whole salers ask "You're not red, are you? If you are then I won't buy from you". The south has hated Taksin all the time.

The yellow flags are not for PAD, they are the Royal flag.

Not the whole truth, there are many houses and companies that normally don't have any flags out, now they suddenly do... It has a meaning

It means the local flag seller had a sale.

They just need to get off their <deleted> and vote in May - that should be sufficient to change the status quo (within very limited boundaries).

I agree - oh, wait. Didn't they do that in December 2008? The majority of Thai's elected a coalition government to serve a full term, I thought........

I was responding to a post about a different country, Old Boy.

Your point would, though, have validity if the elected coalition had not picked up so many red cards along the way.

With direct regard to the topic, I wonder if the OP could advise if Ning has returned from Bangkok and what her experience has been. Whilst I belong to the school of thought that says she is a naive sheep there is no doubt that she, and her story, has generated a lot of interest - to the extent of 10,133 views and 363 posts.

Edited by Chaimai

• 1 month later...
My wife and all her family support the red shirts.

I dont know enough to have an opinion in that matter one way or an other.

here is a conversation we had on the subject a few days ago.

me: so what is the difference between the red and the Yellow shirts?

wife: yellow shirts are bad people

me: what makes yellow shirts bad people?

wife:( with confused look in her face) aaaa... they close the airport

me: with (quizzical look in my face )you mean Yellow shirts dont like airports?

wife: ( now getting mad at me) you are stupid

me: (with smile in my face) you married me, and I am stupid? :)

:D

That was a sad story. My ex-girlfriend, "Jae" had a hard life too. Her mother was 13 when she gave birth to her and 11 when she had her first. Jae was raised by her grandmother in Isarn. he mother abandoned the family soon after Jae's birth and she told me her father died when she was young. Soon after I met Jae she got to meet her real mother for the first time - Jae was very happy but her mother was only contacting her so that she could get proper ID papers - her mother could not read and needed help communicating with the bureaus. Jae's mom had married again and had several children including a daughter. The mom would brag about how the daughter had a boyfriend who had a car - later on Jae's mom would contact her for money and then to ask her help get her daughter a job. Jae felt betrayed by her mother and I felt sympathy for her. Jae has a sister named Apple. Apple has two children to two different farang fathers. Apple appears to be mentally ill. Once we got a call from a hospital in Surrathani - Apple was found on a beach with her first baby - they were dehydrated and malnourished - Jae had to go down to Surrathani to get her sister.

I supported Jae to go to college - she went on weekends and held a day job in an office during the week. At night on the weekdays she would do her homework sometimes all night long. I did admire her determination to get a degree and though I wasn't happy about paying all the time, in a way it probably was the best use of my money here - I had already spent so much money on alcohol, girls, and frivolous vacations. So I found a young woman with a bit of ambition to make her life better through her own actions.

Jae was ambivalent about the Reds at first even as many of her friends seemed to be Reds. As the Red movement picked up, Jae (perhaps moved by the Reds campaign) told me she was Red on the inside but could not tell anyone in her office. I understood that - everyone in her office would likely be anti-Red if not something more extreme - she was one of the only Isarn people in her office. With fair skin, communication skills, and college degree, she can mix with the Bangkok Thais - but she doesn't feel like she is one of them. "I only trust Isarn people from my village," she once told me. A time though, it seems she doesn't even trust people in her village.

Anyway, I think there is a chance that peace can be found in the middle ground at some point in time. There are no wrong or rights in politics - there is only perception. And perception is molded by our experience - who we are, where we come from, the color of our skin and the size of our wallets.

Any successful government will need to wage a PR war that is better than the one Thaksin can do. You cannot fight Thaksin directly.

i couldn't be arsed to read it all :)

You just need to read the OP really - the remaining posts pretty much fall into "for" and "against" her/what she did.

Ning is a hospital worker so she no doubt has a Florence Nightingale streak of caring for people.

I am intrigued to know:-

1. How was her Bangkok experience.

2. Did she stay full term.

3. What did SHE observe in terms of 'troops killing innocent protestors', red shirt guards, black shirts, ronin warriors, looting and arson attacks on public buildings.

4. How has the experience affected her thinking/beliefs.

5. Has she returned to nursing or is she now an urban guerilla ?

I imagine that Ning is likely to fall into one of two categories; she will remain a brain-washed, Thaksincated revolutionary who is quite happy to see the destruction of any bits of Thailand where people have greater wealth than her OR, she will have realised that violence achieves nothing and conflicts directly with the principles of her job - understanding that the pen is mightier than the sword and the only way to progress the cause of the poor is through dialogue and discussion rather than bombs and bullets.

sell anything you feel like to....

remember two things:

your work permit and secondly, watch what you say....

don't want to see another 'farang' saying something to hurt every other farangs in thailand.... alright?

hope you make a bundle.... :)

I'm going to set up a sidewalk stand by Siam Paragon to sell yellow & red striped flags, I wonder what the reaction would be............

Here is what happened to Ning and her friends according to Ning Kam-Phoop from Lampang (may be a different Ning than in the OP) . . .

They were duped. They had been told it was a peaceful rally.

They were fleeced. Free water and food, but then they were required to "buy" things from organizers and vendors.

They were bullied. For example, they were coerced into donating blood to spill on the street after balking initially.

They were bullied again when they asked why the tires and bamboo sticks were necessary. It was keeping them inside when they wanted to go out.

They were denied access to newspapers and televisions and radios when things started getting tense. All "news" was from the stage.

They were denied egress to safety when the bullets started flying (even Ning's friend who had children with her), and told lies to keep them from leaving.

They are now disappointed.

They are now disillusioned.

They are speaking out. I hope they are not victims of retaliation.

Here is what happened to Ning and her friends according to Ning Kam-Phoop from Lampang (may be a different Ning than in the OP) . . .

They were duped. They had been told it was a peaceful rally.

They were fleeced. Free water and food, but then they were required to "buy" things from organizers and vendors.

They were bullied. For example, they were coerced into donating blood to spill on the street after balking initially.

They were bullied again when they asked why the tires and bamboo sticks were necessary. It was keeping them inside when they wanted to go out.

They were denied access to newspapers and televisions and radios when things started getting tense. All "news" was from the stage.

They were denied egress to safety when the bullets started flying (even Ning's friend who had children with her), and told lies to keep them from leaving.

They are now disappointed.

They are now disillusioned.

They are speaking out. I hope they are not victims of retaliation.

Edited by Chaimai

Nice story.

However, that story takes place in almost every countries around the world.

Why not change Ning to "Sarah"? or other names, and switch the settings to other countries.

So, Sarah went down to London; was duped, bullied, coerced into donationing blood, promised £12 a day and a bonus, was denied access to newspaper and tv and then refused safe passage home.

Nope, I don't remember seeing that one.

well, unless the OP is coming back to share real life experience (albeit told second hand), then I dont see this thread as being any different to the various existing ones discussing whether our members agree or disagree with the red shirt protest.

so, Ill give this one more evening. if not then it also gets closed as per our policy on the numerous political threads in existence

cheers

well, unless the OP is coming back to share real life experience (albeit told second hand), then I dont see this thread as being any different to the various existing ones discussing whether our members agree or disagree with the red shirt protest.

so, Ill give this one more evening. if not then it also gets closed as per our policy on the numerous political threads in existence

cheers

As I seem to be the one with the greatest interest in part 2 of the story I have no objection to the topic being closed.

I have PM'd the OP requesting an update and news of Ning. Should I get a reply I can post, or encourage the OP to post, again.

well in that case Chaimai, and OP, I will close this thread for now

should there be real developments, send me a PM and Im sure we can arrange something :)

cheers