Why Ning Is Going To Bangkok Tonight In Her Red Shirt

Cnxforever

Ning is a friend of mine – after seeing her put on a red shirt today to get ready to join the protests in Bangkok I wanted to know why she wanted to join.

Ning looked at me and with sad eyes she said “I love my country - but my country does not love me” – so I join and hope we can change the way people look at us.

Ning was born in Pattaya 34 years ago –, her mother was an uneducated country girl from the North - who never bothered to register her birth.

Ning was handed to grandmother in Chiang Rai as a baby - to be raised by her. (I think grandmother has done a great job!)

Ning loved her mother who she hardly ever met dearly – her father - she never knew who he was.

The family she grew up with was desperately poor they survived from day to day by collecting what ever was available in the forest. Her grandmother produced “nam prik noom” from "phak" they grew and sold it at the local market. This was the only income they had – needless to say there was no money left for anything.

Still Ning remembers her childhood as a happy one. Ning has a younger half sister who she had to take care of as a child.

They grew whatever they could in their little garden and they had some chicken. Live was not too bad – until she started to go to school. Ning could not understand why others would tease her for her old worn clothes – there was a time when she did not go to school because of this but most of all because she had no shoes to wear –hers had been so worn out that she could not wear them anymore they could not afford to buy new ones.

When her teacher found out why she was absent she organised a pair quietly – to spare her the shame she felt for the first time in her life. After all the children in her village where also poor they had had nothing to be ashamed about.

Ning went back to school but from now on she had only contact with the other “poor” children as they where in the same boat and where tired of being teased about the things the others could afford but Ning and her friends could not.

She could not partake in many activities because she could not buy the items needed – lucky there where also a few others who shared the same faith – at least she was not alone.

Throughout her childhood she felt looked down upon by others because she was poor. Ning was a good learner but a further education was impossible it cost money they did not have.

When thec yearly winterfair came to town she could only stand outside and watch others have fun.

She went to bed at night praying and hoping that one day her mother would come and take her back and they would take care of each other and would be happy. The few visits her mother paid where like heaven for her and until today she treasures the few pictures she kept from these days.

Then one beautiful day her mother showed up with her new boyfriend and they took her away to Esarn – the most beautiful day in her life to be with her mother “forever” as she said.

They opened a noodle shop and Ning was working hard but she was happy to be with her mother. Ning did not know that her mother had an alcohol problem and when things turned so bad that her mother could not work anymore she became very sad. Only a year later her mother died in her arms when Ning was only 14 – it was the worst day in her life –at least she thought so then. Little did she know that life would deal her another blow much worse than she could have imagined.

“Forever” had only lasted a while – and now Ning was on her own. She and her stepfather ran the noodle stall – but for Ning it was not the same anymore she missed her mother so much.

When she was 15 one evening a uniformed man came to their stall he was friendly to her and he asked Ning to deliver some noodles – she did not know that he waited along the way stopped her bicycle grabbed her and rapped her. Afterwards he threatened her if she talked to anybody she would be killed – after all she was just a poor girl – nobody would give a dam_n. "At that moment I thought please just do it please kill me and I will not have to do it myself "she said.

Ning was devastated – she was so frightened that she would not tell anybody - only her best friend who told her to keep quite about it or worse might happen. She cried in the arms of her friend and left town the same night without ever telling her stepfather.

Ning had a friend in Bangkok that’s where she ran – they sold shoes on commission to scratch a living. Ning was wondering about the other people she saw – walking past in their beautiful clothes - driving past in cars she could not afford in a lifetime.

How did they do it ? Whatever she tried always just brought in enough money to survive another day. She could not get a proper job because of her low education – wherever she tried she was looked down upon like a bag of garbage someone had left behind . Ning realised she had no chance here nobody cared and nobody was willing to give her a chance – she was willing to work hard and she was honest – her grandmother had raised her to be – but honesty would not help her here. She and her friend tried to get a small loan in a bank to start buying and selling on their own – no way - they where looked upon like outcasts at the bank.

She left Bangkok to go back to Chiang Rai – lived with Grandmother for a while.

When Ning turned 20 she had enough she had tried many jobs and she was working night and day – but still they could not afford any of the things other people could there was just nothing left at the end of each month.

So one day she packed her little bag and went off to Pattaya – she swore herself to rather die there than to return to her village dirt poor again.

After only 6 month in Pattaya she met a foreign man who was very nice to her, treated her in a way that made her feel special and much more - he adored her - and she fell in love with him.

They had a long distance relationship at first she moved back to Chiang Rai. They got married but it was not easy she had to suffer abuse again from government employees - her mothers mistake not to register her birth turned out a nightmare they had to bribe there way thru the red tape to be able to get the right papers.

They built a house and when the land was registered in her name the people at the land office made fun of her because she did not know the name of her father – she was in tears hearing the insults some people there fired at her. “how the hel_l did she come into this world- if she does not have a father” – one shouted far to loud embarrassing her in front of all the other people – “well we know then what occupation her mother had” shouted another” and she ran outside to hide her tears from her husband who was not aware what was going on.

She never told her husband much about her childhood. They are happy together since many years now but still – she is looked down upon by the upper class now because she is married to a “farang” – she is rich now compared to what she started out with – but she is still not accepted.

Wherever they go whatever they do she is given that feeling that she is a nobody – only has money because she married a foreigner - only the poor understand her.

The so called “middle class” people are now jealous of her and some show it very open - they are pushing her away – she is not one of them – will never be.

She has never done anything wrong in her life has worked hard to survive and still she is called names by people she has never offended – her being alone offends them.

She says “life in this country has dealt me a red shirt” – finally we have a movement I can identify with – this has nothing to do with Thaksin – he has only opened our eyes – and for that some of us are grateful to him. We know he is as corrupt as they all are but at least he threw us a few pieces of the cake – the other people in power take it all.

I am tired of being abused, looked down upon by people who are rich and connected who have better education then me because their parents could afford to sent them to school.

People like me never get a chance in Thailand. If I would not have met my husband all those years ago I would not be alive anymore today.

“This has to change and that’s why I will march with them” she says our society has to change but it will not as long as the same old people are in power looking down on us, using us and abusing us - because we are poor we are coerced into silence. We dare not to speak because they have the power to silence us with impunity.

These rich and connected people are above the law and don’t have to care when they abuse, rape or even murder us.

This has to change and that’s why I march today in a red shirt – “ Thai society has woven this red shirt I am wearing today over the last few decades” – they are just not aware of it – they are to busy getting richer on the back of the poor. “I will march for change in this country and hope we can achieve it peacefully – even if it takes a long long time”. She says

The above is a true story – I know Ning (name changed) personally and this conversation took place.

So now you know the reason why Ning is going to Bangkok – she has no intention to be violent – and for the same reason thousands of others will march in there red shirts in the next few days – they all have a story to tell and many are similar to Ning’s - some have been paid money for gasoline and other expenses because they could not afford to go on their own.

But the reason they go is not the money – they want change! No more cheap handouts to keep them quite.

If you look into the crowds you will probably notice that there are more women than men – they are the backbone of Thailand but have been treated badly for too long – they have had enough.

So if you write about the red shirts here belittle them, abuse them verbally call them names like “brainless” “stupid” e.g. - think again – Ning is certainly not brainless and stupid – she just never had a chance no matter how hard she tried. She has been born poor and was supposed to die poor – well she is fighting for more now! The days of kowtowing to the upper class in Thailand seem over.

If you see Ning in Bangkok say hello from me - she is a “red shirt” - and in her words “she loves most foreigners more than her own people” – after all one of us has “saved her life” as she puts it!

I wish her well and hope that change will come for the better.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The rights and freedoms we enjoy in my country (UK) were not given to us by the ruling classes. They were taken from them.

That is true!

same in America and France, which summarily turned into a new 'ruling class'.

political parties being the 'new' royalty.

Goddamn that was sad, made me want to cry. :) This country DOES need a revolution, but of course Thaksin isn't the answer. Why is it so hard to find good people to run this country? Is there no one that would completely rehaul the education system and raise minimum wage and generally just look out for its main population?

My GF is 34 and had a poor upbringing and was sent off to be raised by an aunt because there were too many children in the family.

To the best of my knowledge she was never raped by a local policeman - but she has cremated her father, younger sister, her younger sister's son and her own son.

After her divorce she eventually found her way to Pattaya and was lucky enough to meet, err........ me.

She is not putting on a red shirt (unless for reasons of fashion) and she is certainly not going to Bangkok.

She seems to think a mass protest, with the associated risk of violence, is a bad thing for her country. She worries what people will think of her country if we see scenes similar to the Pattaya or Songkran riots. She even worries how the reputation of her King might be viewed by outsiders. She worries that "everytime Thai fight Thai, Cambodia does something against Thailand".

So she is not going.

She believes that Thai people should sit down and speak to each other. She believes that she can achieve more by voting than protesting.

There is no self-pitying, there is no aggression towards the ruling/controlling elite - just a pride and passion for her country that she does not wish to sullied by petty squabbling that pitches Thai against Thai.

I am very pleased I met her, and not Ning.

touching story. Ning has my sympathy.

I hate touching stories.

They are everywhere and can be instrumentalised to attract sympathy for anything, right or wrong.

You will find similar stories almost everywhere.

My GF is 34 and had a poor upbringing and was sent off to be raised by an aunt because there were too many children in the family.

To the best of my knowledge she was never raped by a local policeman - but she has cremated her father, younger sister, her younger sister's son and her own son.

After her divorce she eventually found her way to Pattaya and was lucky enough to meet, err........ me.

She is not putting on a red shirt (unless for reasons of fashion) and she is certainly not going to Bangkok.

She seems to think a mass protest, with the associated risk of violence, is a bad thing for her country. She worries what people will think of her country if we see scenes similar to the Pattaya or Songkran riots. She even worries how the reputation of her King might be viewed by outsiders. She worries that "everytime Thai fight Thai, Cambodia does something against Thailand".

So she is not going.

She believes that Thai people should sit down and speak to each other. She believes that she can achieve more by voting than protesting.

There is no self-pitying, there is no aggression towards the ruling/controlling elite - just a pride and passion for her country that she does not wish to sullied by petty squabbling that pitches Thai against Thai.

I am very pleased I met her, and not Ning.

Are you implying that Ning is a bad person? You just read the horror story of her life and all you can say is your glad you didn't meet her? I think she'd be glad not to meet you. Me too.

The rights and freedoms we enjoy in my country (UK) were not given to us by the ruling classes. They were taken from them.

That is true!

And now theyve been taken away by the new ruling class, and we are too tired to do anything about it ... fair play to the redshirts on this one.

Are you implying that Ning is a bad person? You just read the horror story of her life and all you can say is your glad you didn't meet her? I think she'd be glad not to meet you. Me too.

We are all happy then.

Nowhere did I imply Ning was a bad person.

But they dont want to sit down with your wife or anyone who represents the poor.

We are all happy then.

Nowhere did I imply Ning was a bad person.

If you had an iota of self awareness youd be aware you were putting her down with your final comment.

Edited by whichschool

If you had an iota of self awareness youd be aware you were putting her down with your final comment.

I am disappointed that you edited out the stud ! comment - I quite liked that :) .

You missed the whole point that I was complimenting my GF.

I am disappointed that you edited out the stud ! comment - I quite liked that :D .

You missed the whole point that I was complimenting my GF.

Yes but knocking Ning at the same time.

Still i bet Ning is heartbroken she didnt meet you, stud! :)

What a load of <deleted>.

Ning is going to Bangkok because she id being paid to do so.

She was told that poor Mr Thaksin has a lot of his money stolen by this bad government, and Mr Thaksin loves all the people from Rural Thailand.

Ning cannot understand the complexities of the Court ruling that was handed down the other day, and how it showed that Thaksin has not legally earned all of the money that he has.

Ning cannot understand this because of the Standard of education she recieved.

The education system that was set up by Thaksin and others who have led this country.

This whole thing is about a greedy man in Dubai who wants his money back at any cost.

If ning and others get hurt, Mr Thaksin will not be there to wipe the blood off.

I knew one of the brighter posters would turn up eventually.

If someone doesnt agree with you it means theyre not bright? seems to me as if your Aussie mates just spouting off the usual Thai expert barstool cliches about the poor not being able to think for themselves.

I wish us Brits would get off their asses and protest about the status quo, and not just accept their lowly lot.

If someone doesnt agree with you it means theyre not bright? seems to me as if your Aussie mates just spouting off the usual Thai expert barstool cliches about the poor not being able to think for themselves.

I wish us Brits would get off their asses and protest about the status quo, and not just accept their lowly lot.

They just need to get off their <deleted> and vote in May - that should be sufficient to change the status quo (within very limited boundaries).

... and no, whichschool I was not suggesting that you are not bright !

touching story. Ning has my sympathy.

I hate touching stories.

They are everywhere and can be instrumentalised to attract sympathy for anything, right or wrong.

You will find similar stories almost everywhere.

I agree with you.

Back in the States I know people who can tell you very sad life stories and then relate why it made them become fervent Democrats. I also know people who can tell you very sad life stories and then relate why it made them become fervent Republicans.

It appears that about twice as many Thais are opposed to the red shirt demonstrations as are in favor of them. Not all of those people on the other side are rich elitists.

I don't hear many people outwardly saying that Thailand shouldn't be more democratic. What I hear are two approaches -- shock or evolutionary.

They just need to get off their <deleted> and vote in May - that should be sufficient to change the status quo (within very limited boundaries).

And there in lies the problem, i should have said us Brits get off "our" asses as i do sweet fa about it bar grumble on the occasional webforum (though ive left the place), ... which is why i take my hat off to people who do bother too make an effort.

Edited by whichschool

... which is why i take my hat off to people who do bother too make an effort.

Me too - I have absolutely no issues with peaceful protest.

Who does?

The problem is that Ning will be participating in a political event with the express purpose of taking down the current government and replacing it with a Thaksin government. There is no doubt now that the majority of Thais do not want that. I see Ning did not mention democracy. At least that is honest, because what the red shirts are going for this weekend is not at all democratic.

I don't mind the sob stories though. They are effective to humanize people. What Ning is doing is understandable from her point of view and I appreciate the description of her motivations.

Edited by Jingthing

I agree with Ning that the social conditions in her country created the red shirts. However, I disagree with her that red shirts actually offer her a solution.

I can understand people like Ning joining the red shirts. The social conditions in Thailand have created a vast majority of people, who frankly deserve much better than the crumbs of life that they get. Some parts of Nings story, I can relate to, I know similar things that have happened to members of my own family. Problem is, the yellow shirts, who seem to be the only alternative - at the moment at least, have shown for many years, (well before Thaksins era), that they will use whatever means necessary to cling on to power. Simple fact is, that whatever colour a politician wears, in any country, they can only be trusted to do one thing, look after themselves, and their own kind. :D

I hope Ning keeps herself safe, and that a peaceful, forward looking Thailand emerges from the current conflicts. One way or another, change must come, nothing in life ever stays the same, I just hope it's for the benefit of the vast majority of the Thai people.

:)

And there in lies the problem, i should have said us Brits get off "our" asses as i do sweet fa about it bar grumble on the occasional webforum (though ive left the place), ... which is why i take my hat off to people who do bother too make an effort.

There is no immediate solution. But the truth can never be hidden forever once it has poured free. Indeen Thaksin is far from the answer and i am in no way suggesting he brought the vile of awakening, but it is here. And it has been emptied.

There is a clear dissonance from the newly created middle class of the central belt and those from which have perhaps been left behind. With the end of global freemoney there is no adequate way of continuing this growth to other regions at present. the two tribes do talk the same language.

I see the demonstrations as inevitible. It is likely the only way a common parlance will be produced. I might add I am no socialist, but feel I understand the remonstrations of the redshirts.

There seem s to be no majority of power in eithr camp and I would see the problems of the next few years continuing. Economic decline or growth will be the measure that tips the balance.

One to watch