Honda Wave Routine Maintenance

Lancelot

Not a big deal, but I have noticed that (several) Honda dealers do not follow the scheduled ( 8k, 16k...) maintenance per the owners manual. My Honda CZi owners manual calls for replacing the air filter and spark plug at the 8k service; however, my Honda dealer only changed the oil. The bike was running fine so I let it go.

Yesterday I went in for the 16k service, admitedly early (14,800 km) because I need a new chain. I pointed to the 16k service and asked them to do all the items, but again they were going to skip the air filter and spark plug change. When I pointed out those items, they cheerfully replaced the parts.

Is this normal? Maybe the shop was trying to save me money? At every oil change, the mechanic would check/adj/lube the chain, check brakes, and give the bike a general look over.

Anyway, total damage for changing tha oil and replacing the air filter, spark plug, both sprockets and chain was B800.

Not bad :)

Edited by Lancelot

I have a honda wave also and was wondering lately when I will need a new chain. What do I look for to know a new chain is needed?

Well, I'm onlly a shade tree mechanic, but the chain adjustment screws were pretty much all out and could not be adjusted (tight) any more. Also, I could pull the chain away from the rear sprocket by more than half a tooth (even with the chain in adjustment.)

If in doubt, just do it. New chain and both sprockets were B490 :)

Edited by Lancelot

You should not need a new chain and sprocket after 14000 km. To need one you must have had the chain far too tight. The chain should be able to move up and down a few cm's I change the oil every 5000 km's and put in a new plug at the same time. and filter every 10,000km's As long as you keep on top of the fluids your bike will run for a long time. :)

Before I bought my PCXi, I owned an Airblade for 4 years. When I would take it in for the service they would only change the oil and just give the bike a quick check, totally skipping over the when parts are to be replaced, plugs, air filter. V-belt, ect. When I asked why they don't follow the book. I got the answer "thai people, no want". So, I took this to mean that they are not use to following the book and doing preventive maintanence, they are always doing corrective maintanence. Don't fix it until it's broke completely. I have had my students translate the schedule book for my PCXi so I can following along. Also, I have had my students teach me how to say "follow the book and do everything it says".

This is weird - I wonder what the manager would say? I can see them going the extra mile to reap higher payments. But then, the same applies to Mercedes service for example, too (own experience with a dead battery due to low water level).

Will you change the garage?

Chris

Every time that I take my Phantom in for a service or intermediate oil change to our main Honda dealer,do they always check the tyre pressures and when I got home last time,I found that they had put 45psi in the front tyre and 50psi in the back when the recommended pressure is 29psi all round.Why can't they read the manual.

and doing preventive maintanence, they are always doing corrective maintanence.

Thats across the board and through many different things..

Dont think for the future, no cause and effect..

Great people, but not engineering titans.

The Honda wave does not have an oil filter ,as far as i know .It just has a mesh gawse inside the crankshaft case .

The mesh gause is the oil filter.

Also, you do not need a new chain. All you need is a link or 2 taken out of the chain. Make sure you use some good chain lube...never let the chain go dry.

Also, you do not need a new chain. All you need is a link or 2 taken out of the chain. Make sure you use some good chain lube...never let the chain go dry.

Hmmm, I could debate that with you. As I understand it, motorbike chains do not stretch per sa, they lengthen due to wear of the sprockets and bearing/pins. So if the bearing and pins are worn, isn't the chain unsafe?

Any way, I kept the old chain and sprockets, so I'll give (the chain) a good cleaning and look in to the chain shortening idea you shared.

All the best :)

On the servicing issue I had my bike in for the 20,000 service and all they did was change the oil, clean the air filter and have a general look around. This was in Phitsanulok. Got home to Phetchabun and had a good check around myself, front brake pads worn down to about 3mm, rear pads fine. Chain correctly adjusted but getting towards the end of the green indicator.

Went to my local shop in Phetchabun who give a good friendly service, asked to order the brake pads, he gave a perfunctory glance towards the front wheel, "not need, look big" sez he. I got my torch out and showed him the front pads and then made a comparison with the rear ones. "Have to order, 280 baht" apparently none in Bangkok, have to come from Japan.

I then asked him to order the chain and front and rear sprockets, "ooooh verra expensive, 2000 baht up, and look ok" giving the same glance at the chain, I had to insist that he order them, also none in BKK.

Preventative maintenance is not something the shops seem to like to do, the sprockets are ok but putting a new chain on worn sprockets doesn't seem like good practise to me.

Taking links out of the chain is ok I guess but that doesn't change the fact that the pivots are worn and the sprockets may then wear down even quicker due to the altered pitch of the chain in relation to the sprockets.

Edited by aitch52

Aitch52 and anyone else who is interested,

In regard the Wave and replacement chains. First chain went at 17000 km and I was told the Honda replacement was not up to much by an ex Honda mechanic. Went for a heavy duty replacement with sprockets and it was about the same price. Got it done in one of the 'Bad boy' tuning shops. I recall it was a D.I.D and the guy held up the difference I could see it instantly, sprockets and chain looked double the weight!

Just had it replaced last week again and the bike is now showing 53000 km's so it speaks for itself. I also recall them saying you can't take a link out of the genuine chain but I had one or two taken out the non-genuine one along the way.

Never known the mechanics stick to the service schedule but don't sweat it <deleted>. As long as the oil is changed you're not in danger of breaking anything and it's hardly a big deal. I remember asking for a change of spark plug a little early and within a day it died on me and was misfiring. Careful what you wish for eh! Took it back they swapped it for free. Other than that I've had brakes replaced a couple of times and that's about it.

Fingers crossed it should last me as long as I need it. I do the oil every 2000 k's and it appears as strong as ever for a bicycle with an engine! :)

Edited by makavelithedon

Should've been clearer, the maintenance I was talking about was on a Phantom, we also have a Wave, I also change the oil in both bikes at 2000Kms Maka. You are right it is nothing to sweat about as long as you are aware of it and keep an eye on the condition of the bike. My chain is almost at the 20,000 point, I give it a quick lube every week and when I remember give a few drops t the pivots and linkages, very dusty around me in the dry season.

Happy Trails

Never known the mechanics stick to the service schedule but don't sweat it <deleted>. As long as the oil is changed you're not in danger of breaking anything and it's hardly a big deal.

It's not the point Maka. When you go to a franchised Honda shop, you expect the mechanics to have undergone some rudimentary training on behalf of Honda. They are representing the brand ! To me it seems that the Honda mechanics are just high street mechanics wearing uniform.

I take my Wave into the franchised shop to be serviced on time. They duly write the date and mileage in my book and stamp it up but they do nothing more than change the oil and give it the once over.

They HAVE advised me about changing the rear brakes and the chain etc but they have NOT changed the spark plug or air filter at proscribed times.

I showed them that in the book it calls for a spark plug and air filter change. They then looked at a chart on the wall which was a very large version of exactly what was in my book.

Lots of them looked at the chart.

It appeared to be the first time they had seen the chart.

These charts are produced so that muppets and chimps like you can follow a simple template as to what is required at each 6k service interval. It really isnt that difficult. They are not merely wall adornments.

They also overly inflated my tyres. I noticed this as the bike nearly shook itself to death over small road ridges on the way home. However, they have a proper air pump with a huge dial-faced gauge on it. If only they'd turned their heads and looked. 50psi is too much. At speed, in this heat, that could have caused a blow out. Why should i have to check up on a franchised Honda mechanic's work ?

There certainly is an element of 'Thai people not like - too expensive'.

When ever i have a puncture, i choose the 90b replacement tube instead of the 10b patch. The mechanics laugh and call me lavish ! Go figure!

Hi Thaifan

I think you will find that an O ring chain is fitted as standard

It is in the owners manual that is available to upload on the bike forum, I think it is in Phantom boring out to 250cc if you don't have it already

Cheers

Edited by aitch52

Bought a wave 100 the week they came out. I've now had it just under 8 yrs. 73,000k on the clock and i've replace the chain twice, the sprocket once, at65000k, the exhaust, at 69000k, and air filter once.

It maybe a wave but it goes like a dream. 555

Take it in for a 88 baht service/oil change every 4000k. Seems to be all it needs. They tell me when I need new bits.

BTW, most of the 73000 was done in Bkk which ain't the best place for any m/c. Dun a few trips down to patts rayong and up into the country, surin, korat, buri ram.

They don't need a lot because they are so well made. Stick with Honda parts and you can't go wrong.

Edited by Soi Sauce

Never known the mechanics stick to the service schedule but don't sweat it <deleted>. As long as the oil is changed you're not in danger of breaking anything and it's hardly a big deal.

It's not the point Maka. When you go to a franchised Honda shop, you expect the mechanics to have undergone some rudimentary training on behalf of Honda. They are representing the brand ! To me it seems that the Honda mechanics are just high street mechanics wearing uniform.

I take my Wave into the franchised shop to be serviced on time. They duly write the date and mileage in my book and stamp it up but they do nothing more than change the oil and give it the once over.

They HAVE advised me about changing the rear brakes and the chain etc but they have NOT changed the spark plug or air filter at proscribed times.

I showed them that in the book it calls for a spark plug and air filter change. They then looked at a chart on the wall which was a very large version of exactly what was in my book.

Lots of them looked at the chart.

It appeared to be the first time they had seen the chart.

These charts are produced so that muppets and chimps like you can follow a simple template as to what is required at each 6k service interval. It really isnt that difficult. They are not merely wall adornments.

They also overly inflated my tyres. I noticed this as the bike nearly shook itself to death over small road ridges on the way home. However, they have a proper air pump with a huge dial-faced gauge on it. If only they'd turned their heads and looked. 50psi is too much. At speed, in this heat, that could have caused a blow out. Why should i have to check up on a franchised Honda mechanic's work ?

There certainly is an element of 'Thai people not like - too expensive'.

When ever i have a puncture, i choose the 90b replacement tube instead of the 10b patch. The mechanics laugh and call me lavish ! Go figure!

Markg,

I'd change the garage to one you feel more confident in if possible. I don't know how many you have in town, I'm fortunate to have 5 or 6 and have changed to a quiet smaller outfit where the mechanic seems quite happy to take his time and be thorough. There are some good guys out there.

You are quite right with what you say, it's just you face so much of the same things day to day anyway, that if you sweat all of it you'll drive yourself insane in the end!

All the best,

Mak

I recall it was a D.I.D and the guy held up the difference I could see it instantly, sprockets and chain looked double the weight!

The shop also installed DID chain on my CZi. I've cleaned up the old chain and sprockets and the new chain does look stronger; both are marked "420" size.

I am going to take better care of this chain, oil every 500 kms, daily when I'm making a long trip.

I've always used motor oil for my chain lube.

What lube are you guys using and where do you but it?

Edited by Lancelot

• 1 month later...

spray grease from the powermall is my prefered choice. but as I now have a bottle of engine oil that is lightly used, I will use if on the chains.

have the bottle as I over filled the block and drained some off. its only slightly soiled.

I don't understand what's the problem with replacing essemtial parts with a service, if you pay, they will only make more money? Seems they don't want to...

4 stroke bikes need valve clearance adjustments in time. ( if it starts to make the rattling noise in higher rpm, means you have to much clearance )

I think the theory must be:

let it break and take out some ancilliaries and we can make more replacing them all.

Kinda like, I could sell you an uzi today and you will the street fight, but if I sell you a knife, you get get FUBAR in the fight, call your mates and you'll all be down next week for stab vests, Glocs and bucket loads of Ammo!

I think they call this a "loss leader".

Lancelot, I had similiar experience with my Yamaha. I was searching long time for a good Place to maintenace. I finally found one on Theprasit Rd. its the second Yamaha Shop if you drive up in Direction of Sukhumvit on the left side. Now new renovated. They also do Hondas I think, as a Motorbike Taxi Guy went there with his Honda in the time I waited them to finish a sheduled Service. I went there 3 times now and they where the first one doing a proper Job. I did recommend that Shop to another Guy here on the Forum and he was happy with that place too.

You may try them the next time you have to do a Service (nice to wait there as you can sit in the aircon Showroom and nip some free cold water, watching them doing the Service. So you easy can pop out and point out something if you want.

Its a Thai thing. Don't spend unnecessary money before it brakes down. I have Waves, a Fino and & a Harley for service here and the out come is the same, oil change and that's it, unless you look them over the shoulder and make sure they follow the instructions.

Regarding the Harley: 8000 km service (expensive) and they didn't change my rear brake pads, which got me very angry later on when an farang HD mechanic was doing a upgrade on the engine and he told me that he changed the rear brake pads because they were completely worn down. I showed the pads to the shop owner (farang) and he told me that's it's a Thai thing!!! I said what!!! I just paid app. 4K bath on a 8k service and they didn't see that, completely unacceptable, but that's the way it is, live and let live(die) :)

Its a Thai thing. Don't spend unnecessary money before it brakes down. I have Waves, a Fino and & a Harley for service here and the out come is the same, oil change and that's it, unless you look them over the shoulder and make sure they follow the instructions.

Regarding the Harley: 8000 km service (expensive) and they didn't change my rear brake pads, which got me very angry later on when an farang HD mechanic was doing a upgrade on the engine and he told me that he changed the rear brake pads because they were completely worn down. I showed the pads to the shop owner (farang) and he told me that's it's a Thai thing!!! I said what!!! I just paid app. 4K bath on a 8k service and they didn't see that, completely unacceptable, but that's the way it is, live and let live(die) :)

But the farang is the manager of that joint :D