Why Do People Who Live Here Always Go Out Of There Way To Say How Good It Is ?

dave30

Honestly, like so many others, i am sick and tired of hearing ex-pat's complain about the country they 'chose' to live in.

You are not alone.

u11181299.jpg

I don't complain about my home country. I just choose, whever I can, to avoid paying 60 Baht a litre for fuel, 150 Baht for a pint, 350 baht for fish & chips, 3,000 Baht for a speeding fine, 40% tax, Inheritance Tax, Income tax, Council tax, Road tax, VAT at 17.5%, 5,000 baht for an overcoat, 750 Baht per head for an average pub meal, 2,500 baht for a 'standard' rail ticket to go 250 km, 10,000 Baht to have a car serviced and 4,000 Baht short-time (with Thai, obviously).

Forgot one, 9,350 Baht per month for gas, water and electric.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why so much f**kin complaining about Thailand. Just leave & shut the <deleted> up so that us that enjoy our lives here don't need to read your shit.

I have lived here for 3 years now & love it. my life is wonderful. I have a great job/ business with fantastic Thai staff. Eat great food every day, lovely weather etc...

I am sick of reading complaints about racism here, anyone been to the UK or Australia, FFsake.

You are the people that give us westerners a bad name as you just cannot adapt to a different country. This is Thailand, not supposed to be Clapham or whereever the <deleted> you come from.

You wind me up, now is time to relax with a nice cold Singha & I'm not wooried about it being 40 or 100 baht.

chook dii

Its 'Chok di', mate........a chook is the thing the thais flatten and bbq over hot coals......or if you a kiwi you take it home and make it your lover :)

Interesting the declaration of all the 'savings' made by living in Thailand........and most comparisons would be reasonably true and fair.........

In a recent TV survey regarding health insurance

28% bought private

12% through work

14% covered by overseas policy

That means despite all the savings being accrued in Thailand, 46% of you guys cannot be covered, or have not purchased cover............

A post suggested reasonable cover about 50k baht a year

as another post in the survey suggested......there was no option for a fingers crossed policy??

Just thought this might be worth a mention.... :)

Why so much f**kin complaining about Thailand. Just leave & shut the <deleted> up so that us that enjoy our lives here don't need to read your shit.

I have lived here for 3 years now & love it. my life is wonderful. I have a great job/ business with fantastic Thai staff. Eat great food every day, lovely weather etc...

I am sick of reading complaints about racism here, anyone been to the UK or Australia, FFsake.

You are the people that give us westerners a bad name as you just cannot adapt to a different country. This is Thailand, not supposed to be Clapham or whereever the <deleted> you come from.

You wind me up, now is time to relax with a nice cold Singha & I'm not wooried about it being 40 or 100 baht.

chook dii

You can meet great people wherever you go.

Thanks for your kind words and pearls of wisdom; sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, and yet you still don't deserve it

SC

Title was a bit misleading - thought it is normally the other way guessing on the moaning that is normally here on TV.

Been coming here for since 1991, and lived here since 2005 - Thailand - it's not perfect, but then nowhere is. I still can't complain - if it's so bad for the OP, then there is a simple answer - look elsewhere.

Hold on... Where did i say Thailand so ' so bad ' ??? I never did i said Thailand was on about a even with living back in the UK

I guess it is wrong of me to say anything bad at all about Thailand. Thailand is the great country in the world. I hope that makes you all happy.

Farangs who live in Thailand are the most touchy and childish people there are.

:):D:D:D Absolute classic! Your 2nd post! A1 rant dude! Jeeez are you touchy and childish. Not a farang living in Thailand are you?

I am and I love it. Adapted very well thank you and hope I die here.

Plus keeping a house cool with AC's is more expensive than keeping a house warm in the Uk.

transferring my thai home to Germany and keeping it (as i do here) year round at an average temperature of 26.5ºC would cost me approximately five times what i pay here.

of course... if you wear long johns, a furcoat and keep on shivering in UK at 12ºC inside temperature you might pay slightly less than in Thailand.

Here in Thailand my electricity bill is a little over 2000baht per month. As far as temperature control, we have one room with AC on an evening and maybe a couple of hours during the afternoon. If I wanted to keep the kitchen, bathroom etc etc cool I can only imagine the bill being very high. In the Uk I used to pay around 2000bath per month and the whole house was warm. It's probably a bit more expensive now but not as much as cooling the whole house here that's for sure.

our home in Germany (now sold) had a living area of 370m² and we used up 11,000 liters of heating oil, equivalent to (presently) 7,000 EURos p.a. = 26,000 Baht per month. the house in Thailand has 620m², is fully airconditioned and our electricity bill averages 10,000 Baht a month. extrapolated by adding 66% for the bigger living area just heating and hot water german cost is 11,600 EURos = 42.500 Baht. this amount does not include any additional electricity for partly airconditioning during three summer months, regular electricity used for cooking, fridges/freezers, pool, lighting, TVs, etc. which adds approximately another 150 EURos per month = 6,600 Baht to bring the total to nearly 50,000 Baht/month, hence my remark "Germany five times Thailand" and any other freaking high cost in Germany not considered.

the living area of our Florida home was in between those mentioned before and our energy cost averaged 320 dollars/month, i.e. slightly cheaper than Thailand if one takes today's weak dollar rate. when we moved to Thailand in 2005 and USD/THB was around 42 the picture changes and when you add 7,500 US-Dollars property tax p.a. then Thailand wins again hands down. did i mention something about income tax in the U.S. or freaking high income tax in Germany? i did not? well... another time perhaps.

facit: all ranting, bitching and whinging "living in [insert home country] is cheaper" is totally unjustified except when you live on welfare, dole and don't pay any taxes.

i rest my case Your Honour.

Plus keeping a house cool with AC's is more expensive than keeping a house warm in the Uk.

transferring my thai home to Germany and keeping it (as i do here) year round at an average temperature of 26.5ºC would cost me approximately five times what i pay here.

of course... if you wear long johns, a furcoat and keep on shivering in UK at 12ºC inside temperature you might pay slightly less than in Thailand.

Here in Thailand my electricity bill is a little over 2000baht per month. As far as temperature control, we have one room with AC on an evening and maybe a couple of hours during the afternoon. If I wanted to keep the kitchen, bathroom etc etc cool I can only imagine the bill being very high. In the Uk I used to pay around 2000bath per month and the whole house was warm. It's probably a bit more expensive now but not as much as cooling the whole house here that's for sure.

our home in Germany (now sold) had a living area of 370m² and we used up 11,000 liters of heating oil, equivalent to (presently) 7,000 EURos p.a. = 26,000 Baht per month. the house in Thailand has 620m², is fully airconditioned and our electricity bill averages 10,000 Baht a month. extrapolated by adding 66% for the bigger living area just heating and hot water german cost is 11,600 EURos = 42.500 Baht. this amount does not include any additional electricity for partly airconditioning during three summer months, regular electricity used for cooking, fridges/freezers, pool, lighting, TVs, etc. which adds approximately another 150 EURos per month = 6,600 Baht to bring the total to nearly 50,000 Baht/month, hence my remark "Germany five times Thailand" and any other freaking high cost in Germany not considered.

the living area of our Florida home was in between those mentioned before and our energy cost averaged 320 dollars/month, i.e. slightly cheaper than Thailand if one takes today's weak dollar rate. when we moved to Thailand in 2005 and USD/THB was around 42 the picture changes and when you add 7,500 US-Dollars property tax p.a. then Thailand wins again hands down. did i mention something about income tax in the U.S. or freaking high income tax in Germany? i did not? well... another time perhaps.

facit: all ranting, bitching and whinging "living in [insert home country] is cheaper" is totally unjustified except when you live on welfare, dole and don't pay any taxes.

i rest my case Your Honour.

It certainly seems that for you it is cheaper here than Germany. You must have been living on top of a mountain heating 'the eagles nest' or something. :)

Well I have houses in UK/Greece and Thailand and the utilities and general cost only vary marginally.

The same can be said or my living expenses the only real difference I see is the cost of cigarettes and petrol everything else like or like is very similar.

Cars are outrageously priced in Thailand if you don't want to drive a pick up or a Thai built model my Lexus costs more than a Bentley in Europe

One post deleted for excessive profanity. If you can't type a complete sentence without the word <deleted>, don't waste your time, it will just be trashed.

Good job. Thank you. It doesn't add anything to the debate, and makes it look like the forum is populated with ignorant half-wit psychos.

SC

Well I have houses in UK/Greece and Thailand and the utilities and general cost only vary marginally.

The same can be said or my living expenses the only real difference I see is the cost of cigarettes and petrol everything else like or like is very similar.

Cars are outrageously priced in Thailand if you don't want to drive a pick up or a Thai built model my Lexus costs more than a Bentley in Europe

how "similar" is income tax in UK compared to Thailand? :)

chook dii

You can meet great people wherever you go.

Thanks for your kind words and pearls of wisdom; sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, and yet you still don't deserve it

SC

My utmost pleasure, glad you found my words wise.

sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, and yet you still don't deserve it- does not make much sense dude!!

I rent a two-bedroom house (not a townhouse) in On-nutt for 10,000B per month. There is no way i could rent anything remotely similar to this in the UK. My utilities are considerably less than those in the UK as i have no Council Tax for starters. My electric bill is around 1,200B per month and no water bill! Again, your life is what you make it and what you make of it it, surely? I generally buy food from markets and boil some rice so my food costs are minimal. I am managing to save without scrimping and still have a great life.

I agree that cars are overly-priced in Thailand and the second-hand market is slightly ridiculous. However, it is a sellers market so good luck to all the sellers. One day i hope to buy a car but somethings have to wait. I don't begrudge the cost of cars, there is nothing i can do about it so what's the use of complaining? I do wish it was easier to get finance.

One post deleted for excessive profanity. If you can't type a complete sentence without the word <deleted>, don't waste your time, it will just be trashed.

'cdnvic',

Thanks! Sometimes, you could do the same with crudeness from a few.

Although the petrol is cheaper here (36baht to Uk's 60baht) I think in all honesty I would rather pay more and not have the horrendous driving experience that the Thai roads offer. Driving here is pleasure free activity. In the Uk I quite enjoy driving.

Unlike where I comes from, Thailand is a civilised country, and I don't go out of my way for anyone much unless you pay me in advance, but that is why I have ADSL and why I will write on about how good it is.

<ed: stupid looking typo>

Edited by SeanMoran

Many things here are bad or 'not good', but also some experiences here are extremely great...so one has to take some average and just remain where one wants to be...if one has the option to choose.

It does seem true that to critisize anything Thai on this forum is to risk the wrath of the forum posters, but I also agree that if for whatever reason you are not happy somewhere, it would seem the sensible option to move on.

I lived in Thailand for nearly a decade, had some great times, some not so great and made some amazing friends, but for me there was something missing. Probably mostly family and being part of the local community. I have been home for 8 months now and am very happy.

There will always be things I will miss about Thailand (probably to many to list now), however at the end of the day it comes down to an individual's priorities in choosing where they want to live (we westeners are very lucky to have so much choice really).

Nobody minds constructive posts like yours. It is good that you are somewhere that you are happy. It is the whinging, socially inadequate misfits - who would not be happy anywhere - who get everyone so uptight.

You seem like a decent person. I wish you good luck whereever you choose to live. wai.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

Although the petrol is cheaper here (36baht to Uk's 60baht) I think in all honesty I would rather pay more and not have the horrendous driving experience that the Thai roads offer. Driving here is pleasure free activity. In the Uk I quite enjoy driving.

You were clearly not on the A14 on Saturday. :)

It does seem true that to critisize anything Thai on this forum is to risk the wrath of the forum posters, but I also agree that if for whatever reason you are not happy somewhere, it would seem the sensible option to move on.

I lived in Thailand for nearly a decade, had some great times, some not so great and made some amazing friends, but for me there was something missing. Probably mostly family and being part of the local community. I have been home for 8 months now and am very happy.

There will always be things I will miss about Thailand (probably to many to list now), however at the end of the day it comes down to an individual's priorities in choosing where they want to live (we westeners are very lucky to have so much choice really).

Excellent post.

These threads never really go anywhere because in the end its down to the type of person as to whether they are happy in Thailand or not. I can think of two friends (well one is an ex-friend) who demonstrate this perfectly. One loves it and will never go back to the UK and one hates it, hates Thai people (and insults them at every opportunity) and wants to go back as soon as he can. They are both very different people with different attitudes to life.

I do think that people from a higher social class in the UK seem to enjoy Thailand the most. Thats certainly the case with all the expats I know. Does this forum bear this out? Well if spelling is an indicator it just might...

Proof that its really horses for courses... I have driven all over Thailand and enjoy it immensely. I dont like driving in the UK at all. hate speed cameras which are just a revenue-earner, hate the way that a minor accident can cause a road to be closed for a day, hate roadworks which go on for weeks whereas in Thailand they tend to do major work at night. OK there are bad spots of road in Thailand (Soi Theppraya!!) but in general much preferable to the UK.

Thailand, like any other country, has positives and negatives.

When the positives outweigh the negatives, that's good.

When the negatives outweigh the positives, time to move on.

Interesting the only post I agree with 100% is from a banned member :)

But it's true. I left the UK for Thailand because the bad outweighed the good. Now I have returned to the UK because the same can be said of Thailand. I am enjoying being back, the weather is mild and sunny, people seem to have less attitude than I remember and the recession is not hurting me in the slightest in fact I am earning more and spending less than I was 5 years ago.

Take a look at the ex pats/wannabe Thais and ask yourself what if anything would they do if they went home? There's your answer.

Oh and I read a Thai forum because I still have business interests there, ocassionally it offers some interesting news items before any other portals and it's funny, I mean c'mon Thailand is great and life is so fantastic there? If your having such a great and productive time then where do you find the extra time to make 6000+ posts on an internet forum? Get out more, it may not be as fantastic as you think if you actually leave the house/condo/room. :D

I do think that people from a higher social class in the UK seem to enjoy Thailand the most. Thats certainly the case with all the expats I know. Does this forum bear this out? Well if spelling is an indicator it just might...

Oh rather, yah.

Have to agree with you on this one sweetie.

:):D