Window Popping

OxfordWill

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wanted to check this out here as I dont know what code to look for in the source to verify it for myself.

Is it intentional that when you mouseover any thaivisa.com page it steals window focus?

I seem to get this also.... I'm using Firefox... I thought it was something to do with that.. :D

totster :o

Ah-haa! So THAT's what it's called - stealing window focus!

I used to have that problem (with Firefox) and it took me a long time to get rid of it. To get around it, I used to right click on the pop-up window on the task bar to make it stay focussed, and then click on the smilie or "My assistant" link. As soon as the mouse moved off the pop-up, the window got un-focussed again. Bl00dy annoying!

Now, if only I could remember <deleted> I did to fix it!

I know I lived with it for a long time, played around with Java and pop-up settings, but I think I fixed it by re-installing Firefox and all of its extensions. I'm still using 1.0.2 because of other problems with the context menu.

Are we all Firefox users? Does anyone have this problem with IE??

i use explorer and it happens all the time to me, it really pisses me off as when Im "working" ,Thaivisa pops up and I lose my page......

why oh why is George doing this to us? It is nearly as low as spam!

i use explorer and it happens all the time to me, it really pisses me off as when Im "working" ,Thaivisa pops up and I lose my page......

I was just going to open up a new topic on this. I use IE on XP SP2. The way I like to browse Thaivisa is to queue up a number of pages and as they are loading read one at a time. However, each time a thaivisa page finishes loading, it steals the focus and places itself in the front of all the other windows. This is very annoying to have thaivisa pages act like pop up nag windows. I have not run across another web site that does this so hopefully this "feature" can be safely removed.

I was just going to open up a new topic on this. I use IE on XP SP2. The way I like to browse Thaivisa is to queue up a number of pages and as they are loading read one at a time. However, each time a thaivisa page finishes loading, it steals the focus and places itself in the front of all the other windows. This is very annoying to have thaivisa pages act like pop up nag windows. I have not run across another web site that does this so hopefully this "feature" can be safely removed.

This was discussed somewhere on another TV thread... now where was it... :D

From recollection, nobody had a fix there either. :o

Although someone recommended installing some other browser/skin on top of IE to eliminate the problem.

I'll have a hunt around to try to find the thread... back soon. :D

doesn't happen with me. I use Maxthon though ... arrrrgg (((((stifle)))))

maybe it has to do with Tweak - on the Gerneral tab (in my W2K version of tweak) it has an option 'prevent applications from stealing focus' - maybe that is why.

google tweak ui if you don't know what I am talking about.

I think there are two problems here:

1. When you generate a pop-up window - such as when you click on "Show All" to show all the smilies - and you move your mouse to get to the pop-up window to click on a smilie, and the whole window disappears. The only way to see it again, is to go to the task bar and click on the instance of Firefox that is for the pop-up window. But when you move your mouse back towards the pop-up, it goes over the Thaivisa window, and the pop-up disappears again. (This is the problem that has disappeared or has been fixed, as I mentioned in an earlier post).

2. After a page loads, the browser window steals focus. I now have this problem, but it has only started in the last month or so. One of my extensions even has a setting "keep window in background" after loading a tab in the background. This used to work fine. I could click on a link in a TV email, and the page would be loaded in a new tab in Firefox and in the background. So I could keep reading more emails. But now, Firefox does not stay in the background and I have to manually get my email program back to the foreground. Fairly annoying! :o

Edited by RDN

I didn't know it was called "stealing windows focus" either. I've been calling it something else. :o

I'm using windows xp and IE 6 and this just recently started happening. It is quite irratating, so will be happy to read when somebody out there posts how to stop it. :D

It's in the code of TV - really annoying . nothing to do with Firefox, IE and service packs.

two ways to get rid of it - change code by TV admin, or block "focus stealing" on your browser. I suggest first one.

It's really annoying - I'm writing letter to my friend - and oops, thaivisa forum windows start popping!

I didn't know it was called "stealing windows focus" either.  I've been calling it something else. :o

I'm using windows xp and IE 6 and this just recently started happening.  It is quite irratating, so will be happy to read when somebody out there posts how to stop it. :D

:D:D I thought I did mention how to stop it - download and nistall TWEAK and on the GENERAL tab there is an option "prevent applications from stealing focus" :D

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ppowertoys.mspx

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui

:o  :D  I thought I did mention how to stop it - download and nistall TWEAK and on the GENERAL tab there is an option "prevent applications from stealing focus"  :D

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...ppowertoys.mspx

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui

Errrr....sorry there Pandit. :D Ok I did do a Google search while I've been waiting for a reply, and indeed, I found the tweakui download. And I downloaded and set the "General" and "Focus" tabs for "Prevent, flash 3 times". Still doesn't stop TV from "focus stealing" and I don't know why. I have even gone into the Registry and taken a look at the "Foreground Lock timeout" and "Foreground Flash" and tried different settings. No change.

Anybody got this far and still have a problem like me, or got this far and the problem went away? :D

I'm suprised it did not work. Can't imagine why, but then I have never experienced the problem you talk about. Anyway :o there are lots of nice things in TWEAK to make it worthwhile for anyone who has not tried it.

I'm suprised it did not work. Can't imagine why, but then I have never experienced the problem you talk about. Anyway :o there are lots of nice things in TWEAK to make it worthwhile for anyone who has not tried it.

Don't know but perhaps this?

PowerToys will only work with US-English regional settings

I'm suprised it did not work. Can't imagine why, but then I have never experienced the problem you talk about. Anyway :D there are lots of nice things in TWEAK to make it worthwhile for anyone who has not tried it.

Don't know but perhaps this?

PowerToys will only work with US-English regional settings

My Compaq Presario 2100 laptop was purchased in the US and has Windows XP Home version (legit) installed. I use only US-English regional settings.

Didn't use to experience this problem, only recently, but don't remember exactly when it started happening. And only seems to happen with the TV site. In other words, if I'm looking at a TV page while I have a another web page downloading, the other web page does not steal the focus from TV. But TV does steal focus if I'm downloading a TV page while looking at another web page. Weird. :o

2. After a page loads, the browser window steals focus. I now have this problem, but it has only started in the last month or so. One of my extensions even has a setting "keep window in background" after loading a tab in the background. This used to work fine. I could click on a link in a TV email, and the page would be loaded in a new tab in Firefox and in the background. So I could keep reading more emails. But  now, Firefox does not stay in the background and I have to manually get my email program back to the foreground. Fairly annoying! :o

I thought this was to do with IE5+ and XP. The "onload" event on every page on any website forces the window into the foreground with focus. Didn't happen with Win2K however.

This isn't an Invision problem; there's nothing in the Javascript for this website to force this happening. It seems more to do with IE and XP - it happens on every website I visit where the pages load slowly.

Was personally much happier when the window used to flash in the taskbar without taking the focus away from the current active window.

I thought this was to do with IE5+ and XP. The "onload" event on every page on any website forces the window into the foreground with focus. Didn't happen with Win2K however.

This isn't an Invision problem; there's nothing in the Javascript for this website to force this happening. It seems more to do with IE and XP - it happens on every website I visit where the pages load slowly.

Was personally much happier when the window used to flash in the taskbar without taking the focus away from the current active window.

That's right Insight.

I couldn't find that other thread but I do recall someone saying that Maxthon was the answer.

2. After a page loads, the browser window steals focus. I now have this problem, but it has only started in the last month or so. One of my extensions even has a setting "keep window in background" after loading a tab in the background. This used to work fine. I could click on a link in a TV email, and the page would be loaded in a new tab in Firefox and in the background. So I could keep reading more emails. But  now, Firefox does not stay in the background and I have to manually get my email program back to the foreground. Fairly annoying! :o

Then how do you explain it only happinging on Thai Visa for the rest of us? It is new and only Thai Visa in the background pops up for me using IE6/Xp/SP2/all updates. I have tried to get other sites to do this and it just does not happen. I can see the change on task bar when it has loaded but it does not replace my current view. And it also steals focus if I am in Agent newsreader and TV page loads.