Window Popping

OxfordWill

It is fairly moot that the problem isn't a concern prior to XP because I doubt many will downgrade the OS to fix the problem. Keep in mind THAIVISA has this problem and other sites do not. I tried the tweakui thing about clicking the checkbox to prevent applications from stealing the focus and it does not help. This is how you repeat it:

1. Call this window you are reading Window A. Now hold down shift and click this link. this will open a new window that we will call Window B

2. Quickly before Window B loads, click somewhere on Window A to put at the top.

3. Now at the very instant when Window B finishes loading everything, it suddenly snaps itself into the foreground.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then how do you explain it only happinging on Thai Visa for the rest of us?  It is new and only Thai Visa in the background pops up for me using IE6/Xp/SP2/all updates.  I have tried to get other sites to do this and it just does not happen.  I can see the change on task bar when it has loaded but it does not replace my current view.  And it also steals focus if I am in Agent newsreader and TV page loads.

Good point - I can't as yet. Just tested it on a few other sites and it doesn't happen on all of them. I'll stand corrected :o

It has to be a certain type of element or control on each of the TV pages. Whenever this control loads the OS forces the focus onto it, thus taking it away from whatever window is currently active.

One thing is for certain - there's nothing in the Javascript code at all that invokes this...

We are using standard Invisionboard in this respect, so it is likely to be a local problem at your side guys. But I have opened a support ticket with Invision and asked them to look at our site and try to sort this out.

It is not just the forum - all sites from www.thaivisa.com behave this way including the main site. Also Bangkok Chat also behaves this way. I have not found any other sites that do this. I have cleared cookies and did not help.

Aaahhhhhh. Hmmm.... I will now try to take off one of our traffic counters at the bottom of every page. I will now take it off the forum pages to start with (time now is 18:25). Please check and report back if the problem is still there at 18:30.

I think we found the problem, but not sure. (nedstats counter)

Then I am clueless, awaiting reply from Invision.

What browsers/versions/addons are you guys using?

I tested latest of both IE6, Opera and Firefox and are not experiencing any problems.

FWIW, since I've been reading this thread I see it's happening to me too. I never noticed it so much before. but I can't really tell you if it's only recently begun happening or not.

FYI I'm running Forefox1.0 on Mandrake 10.0...

Still doing it. My test is to hit "Thailand Forum" and then bring up Agent or Outlook and as soon as the refresh of TV is complete it takes over the screen. But will also happen going to home page or Bangkok Chat or any link with Thaivisa as home (such as Sunbelt link from home page - but to Sunbelt from intermediate page it does not happen).

As said using IE6 and XP/Pro with all updates.

Had a bit more of a scan, but I think it's only when Google Adwords appear at the top of each page.

Can anybody else concour?

I've firewalled the Google site off so am getting those standard IE "Page Not Found" pages in the IFRAME, but it's still grabbing the focus somehow... Doesn't seem to happen when the IFRAME isn't there.

The photo page has the Google adds but it is text only so that might be the difference. I do not have it happen with that TV page as reported above.

But on second thought why would you still have the problem if content is blocked - guess that is not it. :o

Edited by lopburi3

Then I am clueless, awaiting reply from Invision.

What browsers/versions/addons are you guys using?

I tested latest of both IE6, Opera and Firefox and are not experiencing any problems.

As you asked - I use Maxthon aka MyIE2. Using W2K not XP and someone mentioned that this is the reason I don't get the problem.

Using XP, SP1, full updates. (Not installing SP2 until 'some features' have been removed.), and using IE 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp2.050301-1526

Only have this issue (every page-load) on TV, but have experienced it a few times on hotmail.

Not any of the other 20 regular sites however.

Only does it for me sporadically, sometimes it steals the focus, other times I just get the blinking effect :D must admit the focus is only ever stolen by TV.

but my fast reply button doesn't work :D

oh well, means I have to thunk aboot my replios a bit hardar :o

I'm also using the latest version of Firefox 1.0.4

I found e.g. if I right click the smiley window. Which is pops itself into the task bar it remains stable on the page. The tag buttons on the reply page don't work for me either.

I haven't blocked the google ad's via the fire wall .............I'm the second pc/workstation.

I've not got this problem with any other Invision bulletin board..

Cheers.

works fine in Maxt.... arrrrgggg

But anyway, there are lots of javascript controls in Advanced of both IE and FF. Have you tried fettling these?

My only problem, no biggie, is that many of the symbols on the left - the IPB ones, do not show unless I right click and 'show picture'. This only started after I 'upgraded' to IE6. Actually I continually find that older software works better in many facets of computering.

maybe it is a google thing?

because something similar seems to happen when I've got gmail open as well.

I'll try and do a bit more investigating and get back to you:)

I think you're right... :o

I just went for a quick look here which uses the same Invision software, and I can confirm that it is only Thai Visa pages which steal the focus.

I've had this problem on one or two other sites. Amazon dot com does the same thing.

I'll click on a link, and while I'm waiting for the page to load, I'll switch to another open page. Suddenly the Amazon page will steal the focus, in the same way the ThaiVisa pages do.

It doesn't happen on Barladies though, nor on the majority of other sites I frequent.

I've found even if you minimize the page, as soon as it's loaded it will pop up. Very annoying when you are in the middle of typing something and *pop* comes the page (often enough, it hasn't even finished loading when it steals the focus).

IE 6

Win XP

Websense :o filtering

Thank goodness I found this thread.

This problem has been driving me mad for the last couple of weeks. Never noticed it before that.

Using XP Pro, SP2, IE6.0.290........

The constant jumping up of sites that have finished loading is causing great inconvenience. In the past, I would browse quickly between windows, click on links, and then let them load in the background. The flashing orange on the taskbar would let me know when something was ready, and if I was engrossed in something else I could ignore it until I was ready.

Now these things keep popping up all the time.

I havent introduced any new browser or windows related software recently before this started - so it must me an introduced problem;

I can't wait until someone finds the solution....