How Far South

bjohn34

I was more thinking of how many kilometers south or even a bit east of the city of chiang mai, not in another part of the country

^ That shows a misunderstanfing of the issue. This is a region-wide air quality issue, resulting from field burning and forest fires in Thailand and surrounding countries in combination with very dry weather conditions. It is not a city pollution.

I was more thinking of how many kilometers south or even a bit east of the city of chiang mai, not in another part of the country

^ That shows a misunderstanfing of the issue. This is a region-wide air quality issue, resulting from field burning and forest fires in Thailand and surrounding countries in combination with very dry weather conditions. It is not a city pollution.

As has been said above, Tak is where it starts to clear up. On our last escape to Samui, we drove the car from Pai (near the Burmese border as the bird flies) to Bangkok. All one large thick soup of smoke all the way down to Tak. Then it got better, Bangkok was fine, and Samui was of course perfect in terms of air.

If you look at Satellite pictures, the burning of fields and forests (!) happens all over northern Thailand, Burma, and Laos. Millions of small and large fires. There is no getting away from it north of Tak. Guaranteed. Maybe some places have more wind than others, but in order to escape the smoke you have to travel south.

It seems like a joke when you're in Pai, surrounded by lush jungle, but it's not. The pollution there gets worse than the worst polluted city in the world (Cairo last I checked) - much worse. Plenty of data out there to prove it. If you can't see Doi Suthep, it's time to leave.

Don't come east of the city. That's where all the burning of rice fields is going on right now!! Cough, cough :angry:

Well it's nice to know that the smoky season has finally started, thanks to the yearly moans from TV posters. I can finally start saving money on L&M's. I can't say that I'll be saving that much money just yet, because I can still see my hand in front of my face. When do the TV posters think it will peak, because I know it gets really bad here, but I also know that there are a lot of premature moans and grunts about how bad the smoke is. Yes it does get bad, very bad, but at the moment I can't seem to put my finger on what everyone is moaning about. When you are driving through the city and your eyes start to sting or when you are looking over the city at a fourth floor window and the smoke is clearly visible like a massive haze, that's when it's time to moan. So when is right time to get some worthy moans in. I want to join in but it's not the right time. Tomorrow, next week, next month. Come on TVers it happens every year, we complain every year, and it never goes away every year. Chiang Mai is like a football team, it's got ups and downs, but don't change your club(city), just because their having a bad patch during the season. If needs must, walk round with an oxygen mask or raid the local fire stations, please don't go south your club needs you. Plus it's full of fairies down south.

You can always go UP [in elevation].....at 1,000mt elevation, you rise above all the polution. Discovered that years ago on visits to Doi Angkhan @ 1,300mtrs the air was so clean that you could see Burma and beyond........and in the heat of summer, it's 15-20 degrees cooler.

Back in 2009 I developed Bronchitis, for my first time ever, during the Burning Season.

Last year I had a month down Cha Am at the worst point.

This year I have booked 6 weeks in a seaside hotel in Hue Hin.

My respirator system is my weak point so I am off come mid February or sooner if I start to feel bad.

On a bad day I can see the low lieing cloud of scum over CM from my Condo window.

john

Maybe I am just unobservant but, although you do see a few people burning off rice stalks I have never witnessed an air quality problem in this part of Issaan (SiSaket and Ubon provinces) in the 5 years I have been coming here and now living here.

We have had three weeks of pretty much unremittingly blue skies. We must have had high pressure hovering over us. Seems like we have some compensating factors for being stuck in the sticks.