Uk Pensions

So Looking to the future - Is it not possible to register an address where pensions are linked to inflation ? Do Malaysia , Singapore ,or H/K qualify ? and if so what does one need to do ?

Sadly no. Apart from the EEA countries this is a list of other countries with reciprocal arrangements.

** Countries with reciprocal agreements are Barbados, Bermuda, Israel (the agreement with Israel applies to the territory administered by the Government of Israel on 19 July 1956), Jamaica, Jersey and Guernsey, Isle of Man, Mauritius, Philippines, Turkey, USA and the separate republics of the former Yugoslavia that are not EU Member States (Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Montenegro, the Republic of Macedonia and Serbia). Increases are also payable in Sark under the UK domestic legislation.

Actually looking at the above, how about the Philippines ? :)

Edited by roamer

So sad we lost... We paid our contributions like everyone else.. and the UK government save a fortune on our not using the NHS or claiming heating allowance etc etc etc...

A footnote..... Don't forget if you have a dependent wife (any nationality or age) you can up to April 5th claim 57 pounds a week but you must get your claim in before April 5th. If you need more info.. message me.. I have the forms too for you to claim. If you are successful you will receive the allowance until April 2020,

Judges at the European Court of Human Rights were the latest to declare that National Insurance contributions did not have an "exclusive link" to retirement pensions.

"As non-residents, the applicants did not contribute to the UK economy, in particular, they paid no UK tax to offset the cost of any increase in the pension," a statement from the court said.

The court said that it was hard to draw any genuine comparison with the position of pensioners living elsewhere.

Nonsense! I pay UK income tax on both my occupational and my state pension, I'm not given a choice. If this is what they really said, then they haven't got the true facts. I can't even take out a QROPS because I'm in a final salary pension scheme. Typical UK, they keep on bleeding you but don't give you what you're entitled to, or employ delaying tactics so that you'll give up.

Judges at the European Court of Human Rights were the latest to declare that National Insurance contributions did not have an "exclusive link" to retirement pensions.

"As non-residents, the applicants did not contribute to the UK economy, in particular, they paid no UK tax to offset the cost of any increase in the pension," a statement from the court said.

The court said that it was hard to draw any genuine comparison with the position of pensioners living elsewhere.

Nonsense! I pay UK income tax on both my occupational and my state pension, I'm not given a choice. If this is what they really said, then they haven't got the true facts. I can't even take out a QROPS because I'm in a final salary pension scheme. Typical UK, they keep on bleeding you but don't give you what you're entitled to, or employ delaying tactics so that you'll give up.

This is where they have you over a barrel. All they have to do to counter the "I pay UK income tax on both my occupational and my state pension" angle is say that you DIDNT pay tax on the contributions, so they are only collecting whats rightfully owed.

In other words, they have ALL the angles covered, and are experts at what they do, and all you are left with is to fluff your cheeks out with indignation.

Penkoprod

This is another "Up Yours" from the UK government.

Apparently at least 500,000 pensions are adversely affected.

More than half a million UK pensioners living overseas will continue to have their pensions frozen after a European court decision.

Now surely 100% of these guys, and also all those NOT YET receiving their pensions, which must be considerably more, would vote for the party that offered an increase. With the current mess in the UK, a mass of well over 500,000 votes could swing it for one party of the other.

Write to your candidates.

And what a lame bullshit excuse this is.

Yeah, and all those who chose the "right" place to retire in made these contributions? No frigging way.

why not have a pension paid to a UK address.

You need to be careful Bizz - especially if you have other income or gains: following the recent Gaines-Cooper ruling, non-residence is most definitely not simply a physical presence test. This makes severing UK ties even more important unless you want the double whammy of the lower pension entitlement but still having to pay tax.

Cheers,

Paul

nnn

This is where they have you over a barrel. All they have to do to counter the "I pay UK income tax on both my occupational and my state pension" angle is say that you DIDNT pay tax on the contributions, so they are only collecting whats rightfully owed.

In other words, they have ALL the angles covered, and are experts at what they do, and all you are left with is to fluff your cheeks out with indignation.

Penkoprod

Yes but what these judges are saying is that if you live outside the UK you didn't pay tax on your contributions but those still living there did. Anyway, as you say it's a waste of time getting indignant, it ain't gonna change things. Just reinforces my opinion that there's no future in being a good citizen, working all your life and paying tax etc., may as well be a layabout, probably get more take-home pay and certainly a bigger pension.

The problem is with the biomertic data on the passports now if the authorites want they can check the time spent in the UK and rule accordingly

I did read some time ago someone being caught

One other general unfairness about this ruLing is that even when expat pensioners still pay tax on pensions etc as I understand it they have no right to use the NHS

if in the UK

What about Class 3 Voluntary Contributions?

As far as I am aware the ONLY entitlement from these is pension?

And as you point out, some pensioners pay tax also so that's 2 reasons for rejection that are not correct.

A slightly different aspect in regard to this ruling.

The UK state pension can be deferred. If a 65 year old British man retired overseas (in a country not subject to a reciprocal agreement) was in a position to delay say for 3 years he would get an extra 10.4% per year on top of the actual state pension. My question is would the annual cost of living increase apply over those 3 years since the pension wouldn't be taken until 68?

A slightly different aspect in regard to this ruling.

The UK state pension can be deferred. If a 65 year old British man retired overseas (in a country not subject to a reciprocal agreement) was in a position to delay say for 3 years he would get an extra 10.4% per year on top of the actual state pension. My question is would the annual cost of living increase apply over those 3 years since the pension wouldn't be taken until 68?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBen...nance/DG_172970

I cannot see the attraction in deferring.

If you defer by one year, then, on the face of it, you get a very generous increase of 10% to your pension. But the big HOWEVER is that it would take you around NINE years to rake in the money you deferred by a year. If instead you had taken the pension on time, then the money would be yours, in your pocket, and available to invest or spend. Instead it patriotically helps out the government by reducing the budget deficit.

So somebody hitting 65 and deferring the basic pension for one year would be at least 75 before any benefit would be seen. This seems like a government scam preying on the elderly.

Unless the deferment is part of personal tax planning, then why would anybody defer taking the cash?

So sad we lost... We paid our contributions like everyone else.. and the UK government save a fortune on our not using the NHS or claiming heating allowance etc etc etc...

A footnote..... Don't forget if you have a dependent wife (any nationality or age) you can up to April 5th claim 57 pounds a week but you must get your claim in before April 5th. If you need more info.. message me.. I have the forms too for you to claim. If you are successful you will receive the allowance until April 2020,

[/quo

Where can I download form for dependent wife ? Any guidance much appreciated

www.dsdni.gov.uk this is for n.ireland ,but it tells you about england.

do it quickly because after 6 april 2010 you cannot claim ,also if your wife has no nat ins no you have to get one ,it all takes ages. be warned

Edited by thaimate

do it quickly because after 6 april 2010 you cannot claim ,also if your wife has no nat ins no you have to get one ,it all takes ages. be warned

Her nat ins nr will be issued when the claim is approved, but yes you are right, it takes ages. Mine has been ongoing since last August.By the way, she's never seen her birth certificate so I sent her Thai passport, they seem to be happy with that.

Her nat ins nr will be issued when the claim is approved, but yes you are right, it takes ages. Mine has been ongoing since last August.By the way, she's never seen her birth certificate so I sent her Thai passport, they seem to be happy with that.

Yes i sent het identity card ,they were happy with that ,although i have got the documents back havnt heard any more in the last 5/6 weeks (used british address) she already had an n.i number.

Edited by thaimate

Yes i sent het identity card ,they were happy with that ,although i have got the documents back havnt heard any more in the last 5/6 weeks (used british address) she already had an n.i number.

Another twist on this is that post Gaines-Cooper any actions relating to State, private or occupational pensions can be used by HMRC as evidence in relation to residence.

I'm getting a UK tex expert to visit Bkk next week to do a seris of presnetations to my clients about this. Most are fully booked but we have some spaces left for the Wednesday breakfast session that I'm happy to offer free to TV readers. Just PM me and I'll send the details and an invitation, while there are still spaces left. Free English breakfast too!

cheers,

Paul

• 2 months later...

You need to be careful Bizz - especially if you have other income or gains: following the recent Gaines-Cooper ruling, non-residence is most definitely not simply a physical presence test. This makes severing UK ties even more important unless you want the double whammy of the lower pension entitlement but still having to pay tax.

Cheers,

Paul

are you the Paul I knew with nam