Probably A Silly Question But....

DarloKnight

Hi, I know this is probably a daft question but I still need to ask, I have friends flying to Bangkok with Etiad and then they are catching a Thai airways flight to Phuket, I have told them they will have to go through passport control and then get their luggage then go to domestics because they are flying with 2 different airlines. Am I correct??

Many thanks.

Partly correct.

They should be able to check-through their luggage, all the way to Phuket, subject as-always to the computers talking to each other, when they first check-in with Etihad, who will also usually issue them their boarding-card for the TG-flight at the same time. Check the baggage-tag when it is shown to them, it should show the connecting flight on TG, as well as the Etihad one(s). Show both tickets at initial check-in, also both frequent-flyer cards !

On arrival in Bangkok they follow the signs for Transit-passengers to Phuket/Chiang-Mai/Samui & Hat-Yai (?), and will go through Immigration, before reaching the Gate for their domestic connecting-flight on TG.

On arrival at Phuket they are domestic-passengers, but with luggage not-yet-cleared-Customs, so they collect their luggage from International-Arrivals not Domestic, and clear Customs with it there.

If they were flying with Air Asia from BKK, then your original information would be correct, but TG are a full-service airline and they have this deal for better-service with Etihad, Qatar & Emirates, and about 15-20 other airlines, including all Star-Alliance carriers.

Edited by Ricardo