What Is Your Budget In Thailand?

kevbomac05

Well, we (wife and myself) live in Sukhumvit. Rent was 105,000/month until a year ago and now it's 125,000 a month (excluding electricity charges)

I really don't calculate this too often but it seems like we spend around 250 - 300,000 a month total.

You spend 5,000-6,000GBP per month in Thailand....yeah i'm sure you do.... :)

can you give us a valid reason why you doubt that some people spend that amount or even much more?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we had more money we'd have a better house, better car but as it is we do ok (by thai standards) & live like people that do ok. Only thing I want is to start saving more but as we are just starting up here again after 5 years in UK need time to sort that out.

There is no nobility in being cheap nor extravagant. Just live within your own means & be happy with it.

We live on 30k/month in a village 40kms away from a major town.

But the house we built is not factored in, if I manage to survive for the next 17 years that will add 10K, only 7 years make it 20K but I don't need to bother about that isn't' :)

Wife spends 20K/month on basic needs: food, clothing, electricity.

I pay extras: car expenses such as insurance, petrol, "upper-class" restaurants (which we don't have but just imagine they are upper-something) 2x month or so.

So we live very well on 30k.

I did buy lots of extras though lately, new PC with 23inc flat panel 50k, some furniture 50K, a trip to kho Phi Phi 40k, also does not include purchase of car, so watch out for your "other expenses"

There has been hundreds of these threads and it always turns into a bitching contest of how much richer people ar nd how the <deleted> could some poor peasant live on a mere 200,000 bht, just spend what you think is right and dont worry what the Jones's next door are doing.

wow 125,000 for rent

that is ridiculous

Bah forget about renting a place....when the apartments I bought in Samui 125 years ago are finished I will be living like the millionaire I was born to be. :)

Sorry,125 years ago,

are you Methusalem bdw,surerly a typo?

125 thou a month rent + electr,+ water+dogfood catfood,car expenses = food /drinks about 350 .000 Thou a month,

I life with all the beer i can drink and pigknockles and bratwurst from Makro and and cheese from first food for about 50.000 B.

The family is Thai, they need another 10.000.thou,+ 20 Thou living allowance for the missus

that leaves me some money for saving for my hometicket sometimes

I am literally a prince of a country that shall remain nameless. I spend a few million every month on a personal fellatio assistant and I have my own traveling masseuse. I have you all beat.

Edited by wintermute

Well, we (wife and myself) live in Sukhumvit. Rent was 105,000/month until a year ago and now it's 125,000 a month (excluding electricity charges)

I really don't calculate this too often but it seems like we spend around 250 - 300,000 a month total.

There are two broad categories of expats in Thailand that people seem to be referring to here i would say- 1) the teachers/IT/website manager types on anything from 10-100,000 baht per month and 2) expat packages types, those sent here by their companies on anything from 250,000- 800,000 + baht per month.

For the expat package types, spending 100,000 baht + per month on accommodation is the norm.

I have lived as both expat types in thailand -my level happiness and overall enjoyment of life was the same for both, but life is certainly more comfortable with the expat package.

i have my own place in khon kaen so whilst im there with my wife and baby daughter i need only 500 per day , 100 fuel for motorbike / 200 for food ,meat etc from market and shops / 200 for beer leo, add to that maybe another 1 or 200 baht for extras.

Location: just outside a village near Khon Kaen. We bought land, car and built our house for cash, outright, so we have no rent or debt payments at all. We get along very nicely on about 20,000 baht each month, max. As time goes on we produce more and more of our own food and we'd like to go solar for electricity when we possible.

It's the quality of an interesting active way of life I appreciate rather than the cheapness.

There are two broad categories of expats in Thailand that people seem to be referring to here i would say- 1) the teachers/IT/website manager types on anything from 10-100,000 baht per month and 2) expat packages types, those sent here by their companies on anything from 250,000- 800,000 + baht per month.

For the expat package types, spending 100,000 baht + per month on accommodation is the norm.

I have lived as both expat types in thailand -my level happiness and overall enjoyment of life was the same for both, but life is certainly more comfortable with the expat package.

you forgot the "third category" of people who live in Thailand and might spend THB 300k a month which -if they lived in their home country- the taxman would have pocketed.

ive got 2million in my bank, but i use 10,000 a month, which includes rent,power, internet as well. ya feel me?

i live in the city aswell. ya feel me?

ive got moped but do not wish to own a car. ya feel me?

I assume on 10k a month you're living by ya self and ya're feeling yaself...?

you forgot the "third category" of people who live in Thailand and might spend THB 300k a month which -if they lived in their home country- the taxman would have pocketed.

and of course the 4th category. Those who have gone native and "learnt Thai dancing": or "saamsip baht kao maa sii sip baht ork pai" (30 baht comes in... 40 baht goes out... should you wish to observe their poise and grace with their hand movements, reflecting also the way they live their lives...)

while we're at it, we might as well mention the "fourth category" of people who live in Thailand and spend 300k a month AFTER having paid their fair share of taxes in the country they live.

shit, pushed the boat out today.

kids: 100 baht for the kids and I to go swimming in the moobaan pool.

kids: 2 rental dvds for them 20 baht.

kids: 4 sticks of crabmeat, veg and rice for 30 baht.

kids: 40 baht for junk food at the sweetshop for the kids.

me: pack of smokes 60 baht.

me: 'suki' noodles for my dinner 40 baht.

me: mango and sticky rice - free from the neighbour.

thats 290 baht!

bloody school holidays.

might go for a motorbike ride into the rainforest tomorrow, maybe drink some coffee at the waterfall... will cost me 100 baht in petrol, but hey... you only live once.

post-50139-1269299652_thumb.jpgpost-50139-1269299904_thumb.jpg

Edited by whiterussian

while we're at it, we might as well mention the "fourth category" of people who live in Thailand and spend 300k a month AFTER having paid their fair share of taxes in the country they live.

only those with bilingual girlfriends :)

Me, 44, Built house, have a 12,000 bird chicken farm that produces a net profit of around 50,000 baht per month,

Brand new Toyota Vigo on finance.

Live in the sticks.

Spend about 35,000 baht per month.

Out boozing most nights but costs only 160 baht for 4 big Leo's, If I don't go out, we stay in and have 5 Leos

Internet 1600 per month

UBC 1500 per month

Leo time

And gardeners. :D:D

If I remember correctly, he was on about a trilingual cook as well. That must count for something...

And gardeners. :D:D

If I remember correctly, he was on about a trilingual cook as well. That must count for something...

to set the record straight and to rectify misinformation. our gardener is trilingual and the cook speaks four languages. one of their languages is not understood, neither by my wife nor by my [not so] humble self. our driver is still rather "monolingual" inspite of the fact that we spent already thousands of Baht to teach him some english. but then he has been improving recently and responds with "yes Sir!" after listening to my wife's instructions which he doesn't understand. i am waiting for him to respond with "yes madame!" when i address him :D

the real sad part is that my wife does not allow me to have a bilingual girlfriend. that makes me think that she is unreasonable :D

Estm. monthly costs. Single. Bangkok.

Rent: none as own but management fee/repairs/cable tv: Baht 5k

Utilities(elec/internet/water/drinking water/land line tel) : Baht 3k

Transport (taxi/BTS/MRT/moto-taxi) : Baht 3k

Health insurance/meds/supplements/vitamins : Baht 4k

Basic groceries(veggies/bread/milk/wash powder Etc.) : Baht 6k

Various:sport and equ for same/PC stuff/clothes/gifts : Baht 4k

So about 25k/mth in base costs. Entertainment, eating/drinking out will add at least 15-20k to that - but can be adjusted depending on income :)

Cheers!

I live in Pattaya , My expenditure is

4000 Bhat for rent for the month .

5000 Bhat for my wife as an allowance

200 bhat a day for food ( for me and the wife ) 200 x 31 = 6200

If we want to go to the cinema we go on a wednesday 60bhat each

If we want to go for a drink we drink in the bars 40 bhat a bottle

If I want to get pissed I go alone as there is only 1 to pay for

WE GET BY ON ROUGHLY 3000 A WEEK

12-15000 A MONTH

:D

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SPEND MONEY TO ENJOY YOURSELF .

When I first came here 5 years ago I was getting 76 bhat to the pound and I would spend 1000 a week thats 76000 bhat . 3 week holidays 5 week holidays .

When you actually move somewhere you dont throw the money about like a fool on a holiday Thailand is so so cheep even at these rates of 47 bhat for 1 uk pound.

If your spending more than 30,000 bhat a month your a fool :D

There has been hundreds of these threads and it always turns into a bitching contest of how much richer people ar nd how the <deleted> could some poor peasant live on a mere 200,000 bht, just spend what you think is right and dont worry what the Jones's next door are doing.

wow 125,000 for rent

that is ridiculous

forr fkcs sake ,

hope you don,t believe what you read on the net.

PSV.UK with on hers

wow 125,000 for rent

that is ridiculous

forr fkcs sake ,

PSV.UK with on hers

I know plenty of expats paying 100,000 baht + per month in rent..

wow 125,000 for rent

that is ridiculous

forr fkcs sake ,

PSV.UK with on hers

I know plenty of expats paying 100,000 baht + per month in rent..

Yeap know a few as well

If your spending more than 30,000 bhat a month your a fool :)

Well I spend somewhere in the order 120-150k month all in...so I am a fool ??...but my money, I have worked to earn it....up to me what I spend it on...

If your happy with they way you live and I am happy the way I live, shouldn't require any further comment..

If your spending more than 30,000 bhat a month your a fool :D

Well I spend somewhere in the order 120-150k month all in...so I am a fool ??...but my money, I have worked to earn it....up to me what I spend it on...

If your happy with they way you live and I am happy the way I live, shouldn't require any further comment..

Well I have learned 2 things from this tread.

1. No matter how much you say you spend, there will be somebody claiming they spend more

2. No matter how little you say you spend, there will be somebody claiming they spend less.

and of course there is the usual group who have nothing useful to say but post anyway.

Net Result....the OP is likely no wiser than before... :)

For the OP: I live very well in Thailand. I have a new 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom detached house with a nice private garden area, and a fully loaded top of the line Toyota 4x4 pickup truck all paid for. (oh and 2 motorbikes)

My wife and I spend on average 48,000 baht a month. I could afford to spend a lot more but I don't need to. Anyone can just waste money and I see lots of expats doing just that....but it's their money so they can waste it if they like. We buy the best food we can find and mostly eat at home. I drink in moderation and don't feel the need to

compete with all the guys who brag about how much they can hold their liquor. We take several holiday trips a year and visit the wife's village one day a month. I help out her family with little things but I don't hand over much cash----(I recently arranged to have the family home painted and it cost me 6,000 baht but I paid the painters directly)

Good medical insurance is probably my biggest single annual expense (46,000 baht) It will get progressively more expensive and less available as I get older so I will become self insured at some point where the premiums get to high. I have planned for this by setting up a contingency fund which should have enough money in it to cover any medical expenses in the future----and they will come with almost 100% certainty sooner or later.

I hope you find this useful. ..but as had already been pointed out....the range of budgets and expenditures is very wide. There are plenty of expats living on a lot less than I am and they seem to manage OK....and there are plenty spending a lot more, and from what I can see, not really enjoying it here more than the guys on limited budgets....it's all in the way you look at things I suppose...same as anywhere else in the world.

The one thing I know for sure is that it pays to do your homework and manage your costs sensibly....even rich men can go broke by living beyond their means...actually whole countries can do the same....you don't have to look too far... :D

I live in an expensive area of Bangkok and do not budget. A huge part of the reason I love living in Thailand is the fact that I do not budget, do not look at price tags, do not ever say no to anything because of money - and I still live far cheaper than I do when I go to America or Europe and attempt to live somewhat frugal. I probably spend $4k a month in Thailand. The same lifestyle would cost me at least $15k a month in the USA.

My expenditure is 4000 Bhat for rent for the month. If your spending more than 30,000 bhat a month your a fool :D

and living in a 4,000 Baht shack makes you a wise man?

as i mentioned in another post... it's mostly the poor boys who can't afford a decent life style who bitch about and judge other people's expenses and in this case even use insults :)

Edited by Naam

My expenditure is 4000 Bhat for rent for the month. If your spending more than 30,000 bhat a month your a fool :D

and living in a 4,000 Baht shack makes you a wise man?

as i mentioned in another post... it's mostly the poor boys who can't afford a decent life style who bitch about and judge other people's expenses and in this case even use insults :)

No Doctor, living in a 4,000 baht shack makes him a po' boy.

The high cost of low living.

So does "troll" on this forum mean "makes more then $500 per month?"

Newsflash people: There are plenty of expats here who are not broke. And more than a few who are rich even by Western standards - these people typically spend in accordance with their disposable incomes. If a guy posting as BKK-MD says he pays 125k/mo on Zuk, i see no reason not to believe. I've looked at several units on Suk that were more expensive. Somebody lives there. Those $150,000 cars you see all over the highways? Some of those are owned by expats.

Just because we are all farang does not mean we are equal in socioeconomic status. The same rules apply as back home. The rich live richly. The poor slum it.