Electricity - Appalling Customer Service!

Bearnagh

I guess I'm missing some of the logic here.

Why is it even sensible from the perspective of the electric company to immediately cut off electricity without warning. Wouldn't it be more logical for them to contact someone and say unless you pay your bill in 24 hours we'll shut off the electricity? Then they will get their money almost 100% of the time.

Providing the OP is not at fault, it doesn't matter what went wrong.

I strongly recommend to complain bitterly about this, to all & sundry. The only way things improve is if people 'communicate' problems. No communication means 'I blindly & obediently accept whatever you dish out to me, without complaint.'

Why is it even sensible from the perspective of the electric company to immediately cut off electricity without warning. Wouldn't it be more logical for them to contact someone and say unless you pay your bill in 24 hours we'll shut off the electricity? Then they will get their money almost 100% of the time.

Perfectly logical answer..... but unfortunately too many posters here do not want logic as that would cause them to miss proving them to be such a big smartass.

The point of it all is as you say,,,,, why cannot any utility here just call of in some way say they have not recd the payment & you have some many hours to make it good or then cut off the utility.....

It can be done in any place in the world except here as this gives someone the opportunity to "BIG SHOT" it over someone else.

Have to show the pecking order here and it gives the little person a chance to be Big Man....

I have a good story to relate on something similar.

Last year I went back to Canada for a month. I notified the electric company I would be gone and paid my bill up to date and a 138 baht fee for a reason I donot know. Upon returning on a friday evening I found that my meter had been removed. I spent the weekend in a hotel I couldnot get my service back till monday. This year when I return to Canada I willnot tell them, and see what happens. I think they needed a meter and just took mine because I wasnot there.

Why should the electric company spend money to chase deliquent payers who will say yes I'll pay tomorrow, and then don't so they get another 24 hours of electricity for free.

Cut them off then they will get their money 100% of the time, guaranteed.

Why should the electric company spend money to chase deliquent payers who will say yes I'll pay tomorrow, and then don't so they get another 24 hours of electricity for free.

You really can't argue with the logic of cutting off the service immediately. When everyone knows what will happen if they don't pay they will make payment on time if they can. Yes it's annoying if you forget to pay a bill and even more annoying if you think it's someone else's fault (the Bank in this case) but in a country where the average wage is minimal and the likelihood of non-payment great, there is no sense in continuing to provide a service that may not be paid for.

Okay, I see your last point. On the other hand, this is a country where wages are so low that McDonalds makes a profit delivering a cheeseburger.

The guy can complain all he want it won't do him any good. He has to accept he was late with paying and suffer the consequences. He cant blame the electricity company but he could blame the bank.

Like others have mentioned b4 the guy cutting the power cannot take money or make decisions i don't understand why the OP expects such a thing. Its real annoying i give you that but not the fault of the electricity company these are the rules they play by. You (probably never did) could have known this when you started taking the service.

I also don't understand why the OP starts to complain if he gets answers that are not his view. If you don't like comments don't post on a public forum. Not everyone thinks the way you think.

In short.. blame the bank, you can complain to the electricity company but they are just following their non payment rules. The rules might not be logical but those are the rules that are in place and you signed for them when you started using their service. (at least that is the way it goes in other countries like your own, the moment you take a service you agree to their terms)

And I forgot, give your misse's a smack around the melon for getting it wrong. :)

Mate you talk and write like a true As$hole.....

there's nothing wrong smacking the Mrs "around the melon" once in a while. do it in a tender way and she will most probably like it. mine does... :D

Yes, let us know how it goes getting your electric supply from one of the competition.

bike-generator.jpg

That picture Naam.. i should have a thing like that would be lean in 3 weeks. (i doubt i can generate enough power for my dual monitor setup)

While I sympathise with the OP, I have found (like many comments here) that the Electric company really doesnt care.

They came to my house last week and said there was a problem and we would have to pay 5000 baht for a new meter to be installed. I think they had mucked up the original installation and were now claiming that we were stealing electicity somehow. My wife doesnt back down and I walked outside while she was telling they how incompetent they were and showing them bills from two visits over the last six months by their engineers who had done some work and signed off that everything was OK. She also pointed out that as my bill is generally much larger than my neighbours, we seemed to be reverse-stealing their electric. Things got a little heated as they felt insulted by a woman and my wife didnt give a shit. So, now I intend to check the bills for the next three months and if they are similar to the last 6 months I told her we would go into the electric company offices and tell them the meter was obviously Ok, so give us our money back. I know I am p##sing against the wind, but the wife is mad as hel_l too and she will create quite a scene if we do go in.

Incidentally the next day another worker from the electric company came round to check for a possible grounding problem and he said there was nothing wrong and couldnt understand why the meter was changed.

TIT

regards

However it now transpires that something subsequently 'went wrong' with those direct debit arrangements,

What exactly "went wrong" with the arrangements?

Insufficient funds?? Arrangement was only made for Dec/ Jan ? :)

Btw., reconnection to the electricity is 107 ฿ for egat, easy money...

You're not in a nanny state any more.

You don't pay your bills you get disconnected, simple.

It will happen to your electric, water, telephone, internet, cable and UBC. Make sure you pay them.

This is correct, also the electricity company would no doubt not have any idea about the cock up with the bank. As harsh as it is this is the way they do it here, pay or you are disconnected without warning. Hiding the disconnect sticker was possibly the guys way of avoiding confrontation.

I concur with this advice. My neighbor paid 300-baht short of a 1500-baht electricity bill one month, by mistake. In the subsequent 3 months, the 300-baht balance didn't carry over to any of his new statements. He paid the full balance showing for all the following months. One day at 5pm, the cutter-offers came and went in a flash. Of course, the office had closed at 4:30pm, so no way to contact the electricity company. The neighbor had no electricity until the following day when he could get down to the office and sort it out. As in your case, no prior notice, no phone call, no nanny state.

Welcome to a developing country, where the side-benefit is that you need to be more responsible for yourself. Not such a bad trade-off. :)

Edited by toptuan