Office Chair Mat (or Alternative) In Chiang Mai

julesdick

Had a search to no avail...

Anyone seen one in CM? Or somewhere selling large pieces of strong plastic that could do the trick. Lost a couple of thousand baht in deposit on a house after scuffing up the floor varnish of a previous rental house.

Cheers

JD

julesdick raises a good point folks so take heed, especially if you're renting or care for your own wooden floors.

If there is a nice computer chair on wheels included with your furniture, and it's sitting at a desk or cabinet desk area, just look at the wooden floor around it.

If it's perfect, or near on perfect, then you can guarantee that the wheels of the 'moveable chair' WILL take away the varnish and make the area look damaged. Guess what? You may get billed for that damage and a deduction taken from your deposit when checking out, despite the fact that they, not you, put the chair there to begin with.

If the chair is there, and the floor area around it is shot to bits already, then take a photo (with date) on the first days of moving in. Put it on your PC right away (with any others damage property pics you may have). Why? Well, because although you can change the date of on the camera (or add it later using SW), the creation date of new files along with any modified dates will show on the PC file, and you can't actually change them unless you're an expert.

It's just another little scam that a small handful of naughty landlords or building mangers try on when checking out. Of course, the next poor sod who moves in will also check out and get billed for the same damage that the previous tenants paid for (but was not repaired), and so the saga continues.

Just as all used car salesmen are not bad guys, so the same can be said for private landlords and building managers, but there is still quite a bit of it going on, so julesdick's idea of protecting stuff that's not yet damaged is a good tip.

Some tenants are slobs and trash places too (yes, we're not all house proud angels), and so they should pay for any damage they causes.

Aitch

I've had a landlord here who expected the whole house painting after 2 years renting. This time round I've agreed with the landlord from the offset that general wear and tear is to be expected.

Will try the bamboo mat option (although i imagine it sliding around a bit) then to global house if nec. Thanks for the tips

Several stores along Chang Moi sell office furniture. I've seen floor mats at these stores. Chang Moi is the street that leads from the moat to Warorot/Kad Luang market. It isn't a long street. You could walk down the street and have a good selection of floor mats.

• 8 months later...

There is a plastic shop in Warorot market (behind where they sell all the flowers). Unfortunately i don't have the card any longer so i can't give you the telephone number but i think it is called chiang mai plastics and they sell everything plastic inside. If they do not have the size you require you can custom order the exact size and material you want. I was looking for the same thing you were a few months ago and discovered this place.

Good luck.

I had a similar problem with my not-so-cheap chair from Index marking my tiled floor. I felt that the nasty plastic wheels that all these chairs seem to have wouldn't cope well with a carpet or rug.

I discovered that by removing the cheap plastic wheels and reaming the entry hole very slightly (so the new wheels' thread could bite and get started), the rubber wheels below (from Home Pro 150THB each) fitted well. These are much stronger,roll well and don't mark tiling. Of course parquet may still get marked, e.g. should a piece of dirt or grit get stuck in the rubber, so a carpet/rug may still be required for your purposes, but quality wheels will also cope better on (i.e. not sink-into) a softer surface.

PC024903.JPG

I also toyed with the idea of a piece of thin hardboard or some of those tough carpet tiles oft' used in offices.

Just some thoughts...

Edited by phaethon

• 3 months later...

I had a similar problem with my not-so-cheap chair from Index marking my tiled floor. I felt that the nasty plastic wheels that all these chairs seem to have wouldn't cope well with a carpet or rug.

I discovered that by removing the cheap plastic wheels and reaming the entry hole very slightly (so the new wheels' thread could bite and get started), the rubber wheels below (from Home Pro 150THB each) fitted well. These are much stronger,roll well and don't mark tiling. Of course parquet may still get marked, e.g. should a piece of dirt or grit get stuck in the rubber, so a carpet/rug may still be required for your purposes, but quality wheels will also cope better on (i.e. not sink-into) a softer surface.

PC024903.JPG

I also toyed with the idea of a piece of thin hardboard or some of those tough carpet tiles oft' used in offices.

Just some thoughts...

Excellent idea replacing the wheels. Fitting avatar.

Yes, Chiang Mai Plastic. They have huge rolls of plastic sheeting that can be cut to the correct size. Also have them at homepro and Index living mall.

There is a plastic shop in Warorot market (behind where they sell all the flowers). Unfortunately i don't have the card any longer so i can't give you the telephone number but i think it is called chiang mai plastics and they sell everything plastic inside. If they do not have the size you require you can custom order the exact size and material you want. I was looking for the same thing you were a few months ago and discovered this place.

Good luck.

Hey JD,

Had simular problem, except mine problem was my Condo had Carpet and my office chair would not move easy.

So we went to Global Home Improvements Store and purchased a FOUR Pack of 24" x 24" Flooring Tiles.

Was at Global Yesterday and you can purchase FOUR Tiles in a pack for as low as 199Baht.

This makes a great MAT thats four feet by four feet,

Been using it for about two years now and works great.

Hope this helps.