Where To Buy "ez Out"

expatinasia

Genius here managed to pop the head off of a wood screw. I need to remove the remainder of the screw, and need to buy a "screw extractor" (for example, brand name: "EZ Out"). Any ideas where I could find one? I live in the CBD ares of BKK.

Thanks!

Genius here managed to pop the head off of a wood screw.  I need to remove the remainder of the screw, and need to buy a "screw extractor" (for example, brand name: "EZ Out").  Any ideas where I could find one?  I live in the CBD ares of BKK.

Thanks!

Idiot!! :o:D Been there done that.

One of the larger branches of Home Pro would probably be a good starting point as you can look for what you need rather than trying to ask.

Get a piccy of what you need off the net and go armed with it.

DC

You could use a center point punch and hammer but it's a bit of an art form to get the screw out using that method.

Or maybe use a hack saw to cut a new groove in the screw then use a normal screwdriver .

Genius here managed to pop the head off of a wood screw.  I need to remove the remainder of the screw, and need to buy a "screw extractor" (for example, brand name: "EZ Out").  Any ideas where I could find one?  I live in the CBD ares of BKK.

Thanks!

There is a chain of stores called "True Value"; in Pattaya they are on Sukumvit opposite and beyond Tesco. They sell a wide range of quality tools imported from the states and you should be able to get an EZ out or equivalent there.

I should warn you though that it won't be cheap!

If you end up having to go the "screw extractor" route (been there, done that), then many hardware type stores have them. I've bought in Korat, no problem. Good idea of previous poster to go with a photo of what you are looking for. :o

Thanks!

About the head breaking off.....I used to buy cheap wood screws that came in boxes and were made in Thailand from uncoated steel. They look kind of 'old fashioned' in that they have a slotted head, a shaft without threads just under the head, and a threaded section at the tip. The heads were constantly breaking off on these so I don't buy them anymore. I shopped around buying small quantities of screws of different types and took them home and tried them on some scrap wood until I know which were good ones.

Unfortunately these gadgets are primarily for bolts not screws . :D

You may have to release the other screws and turn the timber its self to get enough gripping surface for a pair of grips to be useful.

Sorry but doom and gloom abounds on this one :o

Edited by roscoe

I can't help you with where to get anything, but here's something I did with a deeply imbedded snapped screw that worked. You need to get a reverse-threaded screw with a narrower bore than the snapper, and an even slimmer drillbit to drill a pilot hole in said snapper. As you tighten the reverse-threaded screw in the pilot hole, you are exerting torque in the direction you need to remove the tail end of the snapper. Zip zop.

jb

You could use a center point punch and hammer  but it's a bit of an art form to get the screw out using that method.

Or  maybe use a hack saw to cut a new groove in the screw then use a normal screwdriver .

I tend to agree, each time I have used ez-outs, I have burst the innards of the screw/bolt - be careful, even done it with high-tensile bolts.

Another way is try super-glue and the end of a screw-driver.