Foreign Teachers: Thousands To Be Recruited

Dear Sir,

I have received the recruitement mail from you and i have red it with great concern.

I would like to have more informations how to take part of this great opportunity.

I am waiting to hear from you soon

Yours ever,

Kossi

FOREIGN TEACHERS: Thousands to be recruited

Published on May 23, 2005

10,000 native speakers needed to boost primary level English-language skills

The Education Ministry is to recruit 10,000 native English speakers to teach primary school students at government schools nationwide.

Advertisements will be posted on the ministry’s website, with Thai embassies assisting in selecting candidates. Applicants must at least hold a bachelor’s degree.

“We offer a one-year contract and free accommodation,” Education Minister Adisai Bodharamik said yesterday. The expatriate teachers would be sent to upcountry schools, he said.

They would mainly be sent to primary schools with less than 200 students, he added.

“During their one-year contract, we will rotate [them] to new schools four times so that they will see new things every few months and won’t get bored while staying here,” he said. He also believed that students would pay fresh attention to their class when new teachers arrive.

Adisai said Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra agreed in principle with the plan to employ native English speakers because it would help boost students’ command of English. So far, he said budget for the plan had not yet been finalised.

The education minister was speaking after he visited a school in Hanoi.

During his trip to Vietnam, Adisai met with his Vietnamese counterpart, Nguyen Minh Hien. The Vietnamese minister promised to support his plan to convene meetings of Asean education ministers a few times each year. The meetings would aim to promote educational co-operation among countries in the region.

Thailand has offered to host the first meeting.

Adisai added that Vietnam government had expressed interest in educational services provided at various Thailand-based institutions such as Ramkhamhaeng University, Chulalongkorn University and Kasetsart University.

He planned to invite his Vietnamese counterpart to visit Thailand in the near future.

Vietnam’s vice education minister Tran Van Nhung expressed confidence that Thailand and Vietnam would be able to learn from each other’s educational system and drew out the best management plan for their own country.

Asked about Vietnamese students’ talents in science, he said the tip was to have great teachers.

Thammarat Kijchalong

The Nation

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night I talked with a Thai teacher from Mae Fah Luang University.  She has done extensive research with MFL students regarding studying with foreign teachers.  One of the most overlooked benefits she found from having foreign teachers in the classroom was that students gained confidence in their ability to talk to foreigners.  With the interaction between students and teachers, foreigners stop being objects of curiosity and are not just seen as "farang."  It might not be much but it is certainly a step in making Thailand a more international place. 

Imagine what will happen if their English gets good enough to understand the international press and what a sham Thaksinomics really is . . .  :o

You have a great point about the interaction with people that speak English like a native. I know a few Thais that can understand English quite well but are "afraid" of making a mistake so they do not speak English. The way the schools are going now is crazy. I met a Thai girl in the USA that had a bachelors degree in English from a Thai University and came to the USA to study for her Masters Degree. I could barely understand her when she first arrived. Also i have been interviewing Thais for a job that requires them to be able to speak english. I received a list of 30+ University graduates from the labor department that all marked on their application that they could speak,read, and write english. I had my Thai manager telephone them and let them know that they will be working for a Falang boss and English is a must for this job. They all said "no problem." Not one single person could answer even basic questions. I seem to remember advertisements that were hiring Americans to come to China to Stand on Street corners by the Universities so that students could come and practice their english.

Out of curiousity, how much are they paying falang english teachers in Thailand now that they raised the income requirements??

Don`t you mean, `No ploblem`

How much is the pay?

The Education Ministry is to recruit 10,000 native English speakers to teach primary school students at government schools nationwide.

Advertisements will be posted on the ministry’s website, with Thai embassies assisting in selecting candidates. Applicants must at least hold a bachelor’s degree.

“We offer a one-year contract and free accommodation,” Education Minister Adisai Bodharamik said yesterday. The expatriate teachers would be sent to upcountry schools, he said.

They would mainly be sent to primary schools with less than 200 students, he added.

“During their one-year contract, we will rotate [them] to new schools four times so that they will see new things every few months and won’t get bored while staying here,” he said. He also believed that students would pay fresh attention to their class when new teachers arrive.

Adisai said Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra agreed in principle with the plan to employ native English speakers because it would help boost students’ command of English. So far, he said budget for the plan had not yet been finalised.

During his trip to Vietnam, Adisai met with his Vietnamese counterpart, Nguyen Minh Hien. The Vietnamese minister promised to support his plan to convene meetings of Asean education ministers a few times each year. The meetings would aim to promote educational co-operation among countries in the region.

Adisai added that Vietnam government had expressed interest in educational services provided at various Thailand-based institutions such as Ramkhamhaeng University, Chulalongkorn University and Kasetsart University.

He planned to invite his Vietnamese counterpart to visit Thailand in the near future.

Vietnam’s vice education minister Tran Van Nhung expressed confidence that Thailand and Vietnam would be able to learn from each other’s educational system and drew out the best management plan for their own country.

Asked about Vietnamese students’ talents in science, he said the tip was to have great teachers.

Thammarat Kijchalong

The Nation

How much is the pay?

If you are thinking about the money, then you'll probably be disappointed.

Anyway, I wonder why they have to rotate the teachers around so much. It couldn't REALLY be because the teachers are bored with the setting, could it?

Edited by jinalbert

i just want to know where the 3.12 billion baht will come from to fund the 10,000 thats just what the wages would be for a year let alone the administration costs of finding, managing and running the program

why is everyone so serious about this anouncement, seems to me to be more like a late April fools joke. 10 000 English teachers - come on - next thing is you will tell me you believe in santa claus

Since the Thai Government made the announcement to hire 10,000 English teachers, 1000's of "Liverpudlians with cockney accents" have formed a large queue outside the Thai Consulate in Liverpool.  (see link)

My Webpage

:o:D

HAHAHAHA... what a nice group of educators. :D:D

They should have no problems at all assimulating into the ex-pat teaching culture here. They'll blend right in....

:D

The Thai authorities took a closer look at the applicants they get to teach in Thai state schools. They should first look for evidence of an English language teaching qualification, and set a short lesson planning task. This 'hang up' about a degree qualification is a 'kop out'. The Immigration Department couldn't care less, provided the teacher has a Work Permit, but the Education Ministry judges 'quality' by possession of a degree (any subject will do, even in Tiddly Winks).

Absolutely a 'kop out'. It's a very cheap way to interview people. OK, you have a degree, when can you start? A degree doesn't always guarantee you get the best people. I work with a number of people without degrees who know more than those that have paper to prove their intelligence.

It's probably all been said before but if the Thai government were really serious about upgrading their educatioon in English, then the obvious place to start would be with the barriers which exist to genuine experienced teachers moving to Thailand with long term goals in mind.

There are plenty of experienced (and qualified) teachers in UK who would gladly welcome the prospects of moving out there on a long term basis. These are probably middle aged, married with kids, types who would look on the move as permanent move. If the conditions were right, these would form the core of a good, experience and commited plank in the education system.

And by conditions, I mean visa arrangements and the legal right to buy property.

From what I can gather, a lot of schools are so desperate that they will take on 'back packer' types who just want to make a few baht before moving on. Far better, surely, to try and get some kind of stability into the system.

Another aspect of this announcement that worries me is this idea of moving staff around from one school to another.

I don't know where they came up with this idea but, here in UK with the staffing crisis in state schools, many have to rely on 'supply' (agency temp) teachers. Study after study has shown the disruptive effect this has on pupils, some of whom might have up to 8 different teachers in a single term.

This problem really doesn't need rocket science or vast amounts of money, just the easing of the draconian barriers they put up against the kind of people they really need.

Thammarat Kijchalong

The Nation

is there a web site for these FOrms or info on teaching in thailand? kyusen

Hey, especially if we're unemployed or have nothing better to do with our spare time, this latest political announcement gives us a chance to get our frustrations vented. It's like a sick joke; they're not serious. We get all excited, and they go on to their next fantasy announcement. I suggest we wait one month or one year - can the moderators make this thread pop up again on April Fool's Day next year?

Besides, remember that theme park that Walt Disney built in Anaheim, California, in the 1950's? One portion of "Disney World" was called Fantasy Land. Now, it's been moved to Thailand. Every go-go bar has a bunch of dancers acting as Mickey Mouse with a crotch, or Minnie Mouse with Annette-size front racks. LOS is the Land of Sanuk, not the Land of Seriousness.

Enjoy your fantasy. Check-bin, song pan baht.

Edited by PeaceBlondie

It's going to be interesting to watch this project develop (or fizzle). There certainly are some problems to overcome. Here's some comments:

1. The gov't will have to issue visas and work permits for this. It's the law. You cannot legally do volunteer work without a work permit.

2. Other than not wanting to corrup the Thai culture, I can't think of any positive side to moving them around. Even if the gov't wants to move people, they can be assured that there will be enough culture-shocked foreigners that want to move that keeping a teacher in one place is going to be difficult.

3. The whore-mongering foreigners shouldn't be too much of a problem. They won't have much luck in the rural villages.

4. A degree is a good starting place. Yes, lots of great people don't have one, but it's difficult to do the intense interviewing/training of personnel. Believe it or not, it's not all that easy to teach people our language--we know it, but there is a lot about the language that we don't understand. Some type of certification should be the bottom line.

5. It's good that the country is at least thinking about education and helping those up-country students who don't have much a chance.

It's probably all been said before but if the Thai government were really serious about upgrading their educatioon in English, then the obvious place to start would be with the barriers which exist to genuine experienced teachers moving to Thailand with long term goals in mind.

There are plenty of experienced (and qualified) teachers in UK who would gladly welcome the prospects of moving out there on a long term basis. These are probably middle aged, married with kids, types who would look on the move as permanent move. If the conditions were right, these would form the core of a good, experience and commited plank in the education system.

And by conditions, I mean visa arrangements and the legal right to buy property.

From what I can gather, a lot of schools are so desperate that they will take on 'back packer' types who just want to make a few baht before moving on. Far better, surely, to try and get some kind of stability into the system.

Another aspect of this announcement that worries me is this idea of moving staff around from one school to another.

I don't know where they came up with this idea but, here in UK with the staffing crisis in state schools, many have to rely on 'supply' (agency temp) teachers. Study after study has shown the disruptive effect this has on pupils, some of whom might have up to 8 different teachers in a single term.

This problem really doesn't need rocket science or vast amounts of money, just the easing of the draconian barriers they put up against the kind of people they really need.

Unless you've been around awhile, you might not realize that there are many farang teachers here, mostly in universities, who are spending the majority of their working lives here as Academics. Most are VERY low-key folks with families..

I have a number of acquaintances who've been here for 20-30+ years, teaching in universities.

There are some in other Thai schools who've been teaching there for a long time, too, but the basic nature of most English teaching here is one of a mainly transient population, and I think salaries, benefits, working conditions might not truly have much influence on the turnover for many folks. There are always going to those folks who don't want to sit still for long, no matter the wages... Like oil workers going from one contract to another.

I personally think balancing Thailand against living and teaching in any other Asian country is a no-brainer, putting Thailand on top, in my view. Just my opinion, for me only. Others might put it at the bottom for reasons of salary or culture or ???... Different strokes, is all. I had a great career here, always full of adventure and growth for me. The majority of my working life was spent working here, and I've never had any regrets, even though I was a 'real' teacher in America, making quite decent money... Life here is what I made it to be, simple as that. Good and bad :o

I hope for more improvements, but nobody can realistically expect salaries and working conditions here to be like 'at home'. If that's what you want, then teaching in your home country will likely give you that security more than teaching here will.

Unless you've been around awhile, you might not realize that there are many farang teachers here, mostly in universities, who are spending the majority of their working lives here as Academics. Most are VERY low-key folks with families..

I have a number of acquaintances who've been here for 20-30+ years, teaching in universities.

There are some in other Thai schools who've been teaching there for a long time, too, but the basic nature of most English teaching here is one of a mainly transient population, and I think salaries, benefits, working conditions might not truly have much influence on the turnover for many folks. There are always going to those folks who don't want to sit still for long, no matter the wages... Like oil workers going from one contract to another.

I personally think balancing Thailand against living and teaching in any other Asian country is a no-brainer, putting Thailand on top, in my view. Just my opinion, for me only. Others might put it at the bottom for reasons of salary or culture or ???... Different strokes, is all. I had a great career here, always full of adventure and growth for me. The majority of my working life was spent working here, and I've never had any regrets, even though I was a 'real' teacher in America, making quite decent money... Life here is what I made it to be, simple as that. Good and bad :o

I hope for more improvements, but nobody can realistically expect salaries and working conditions here to be like 'at home'. If that's what you want, then teaching in your home country will likely give you that security more than teaching here will.

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear - when I mentioned finances I wasn't referring to salary, benefits etc. Just that in the orginal article the government spokesman was saying that they had to find money from somewhere etc etc.

The point I was making was that, if they really do want a stable teaching population, then it's not so much that they have to put something in as to take something out - mainly the frustrating and often pointless limitations, rules and regulations that make it so damned difficult for good staff (who want to settle long term) to do so.

Myself, I shall be coming over in August. My hope is to find a teaching position I like and quite simply stay put, thereby contributing to the stability of the school or college. I have a house here which I want to sell, but I can't buy a house over there to live in. Also, until I get my WP sorted, I shall have to hop around like a flea every 3 months crossing borders to renew my visa.

Other countries realise that they need these people and try to make it as easy and hassle-free as possible to encourage them.

So they say they want 10,000 teachers - I'd say the first step is to make it far easier for those 10,000 to come over, get a decent job and settle (if they want to).

Other countries realise that they need these people and try to make it as easy and hassle-free as possible to encourage them

Such a vast generalization is not at all accurate, in my experience, but, again, different strokes in many cases. I'll bet every country thinks they're making it as easy and hassle-free as possible...Lots of issues to balance out, like quality of life, safety, stability, living costs, internet, nightlife, food, religion, strict officials, etc., etc... Some may be of more importance to you than they might to me, and vice-versa, obviously.

I've also lived and taught in Indonesia and Malaysia. Left asap to return here.

Up intil 3 years ago, I was always interested in looking for a better place for me to live. My research always came back to my home here, where I feel most 'at home'. Your experiences may vary :o

Other countries realise that they need these people and try to make it as easy and hassle-free as possible to encourage them

Such a vast generalization is not at all accurate, in my experience, but, again, different strokes in many cases. I'll bet every country thinks they're making it as easy and hassle-free as possible...Lots of issues to balance out, like quality of life, safety, stability, living costs, internet, nightlife, food, religion, strict officials, etc., etc... Some may be of more importance to you than they might to me, and vice-versa, obviously.

Up intil 3 years ago, I was always interested in looking for a better place for me to live. My research always came back to my home here, where I feel most 'at home'. Your experiences may vary :o

My experiences certainly varied!

In my opinion Welshman is completely accurate when he states that many other countries try to make it relatively hassle free for qualified and experienced teachers to work there. This is not a "vast generalization" as stated above.

I have worked in ten countries and the ONLY one of those which made a meal of the paperwork was Thailand. I think the very existence of this board and its title is evidence enough of that. Surf around and see if you can find similar sites entitled "Malaysian Visa" or "Bahraini Visa" or "Korean Visa". You will not, because the immigration regulations in those countries seem able to distinguish between desirable and undesirable aliens, and make it reasonably straight-forward for the former to work legally. In 16 years in the Middle East I never once saw the inside of an Arab embassy or immigration office. Korea was one-stop, once a year. In China, I obtained residence/working papers in four days and did not have to become embroiled in the procedure at all. Everything was expeditiously handled by my employer – which is precisely how it should be, and how it is in the majority of countries which need and employ foreign teachers. In most places, once the initial red-tape (however complex, or otherwise) has been complied with, the immigrant/guest worker is then free to concentrate on other, more productive matters, such as doing the job for which they were initially engaged. In Thailand, the Byzantine stamp and paper chase is almost a perpetual work-in-progress.

However unpalateable the thought may be to some of the rose-tinted spectacle wearers on this board, in the minds of most Thais we are all simply “farang”. And little or no distinction is made between a farang backpacker, a crook on the lam, a Soi Nana brothelkeeper, a respectable retiree, or an educated professional with needed skills.

Edited by Rumpole

Thammarat Kijchalong

The Nation

(clip)

However unpalateable the thought may be to some of the rose-tinted spectacle wearers on this board, in the minds of most Thais we are all simply “farang”. And little or no distinction is made between a farang backpacker, a crook on the lam, a Soi Nana brothelkeeper, a respectable retiree, or an educated professional with needed skills.

hmm...Thailand is one of the few places I've been where 'backpackers' are generally considered by residents and expats alike to be on the uneducated, unqualified (or low) side of life. :o Interesting ignorance that. :D

Anyway, there is a whole industry here built aroung visas and work permits which could well be re-directed into recruitment and human resource management similar to standard corporate practice - which includes background checks. It would save a lot of time and money on both sides of the border. :D

Oh well, one thing I did learn in Journalism 101 is you can't cure stupidity with a press release. :D

hmm...Thailand is one of the few places I've been where 'backpackers' are generally considered by residents and expats alike to be on the uneducated, unqualified (or low) side of life.  :o Interesting ignorance that. :D

Fair comment. However, I did not particularly intend to use the term in a perjorative sense. Mia culpa. Should not have lumped backpackers with putative criminals and those living off immoral earnings. :D

Reading the fantasy news bulletin again, I see that this whole thing is merely planned, some time in the indefinite government fantasy future, without funding yet, as a government boondoggle. Supposedly and fantastically, with infinite precision and competency, the Thai government will recruit, pay, stamp, issue, assign, reassign. Sure, when pigs fly over Krunthep wearing anvils.

Yes, it reads very much as if Khun Adisai was making policy on the hoof. Naturally, on his visit to Vietnam he was shown a nice, carefully selected, shiny new school where English is stongly emphasised and felt that he had to come up with an announcement to match, to show that Thailand is doing something as well. The figure of 10,000 new teachers was then plucked from the air to 'sex up' the announcement and he phoned Thaksin, who was delighted at the prospect of good copy headlines. The rather important - but very dull - matter of funding was, of course, scarcely mentioned. Such is the way of politicians everywhere around the world.

Edited by paully

Yes, it reads very much as if Khun Adisai was making policy on the hoof.  Naturally, on his visit to Vietnam he was shown a nice, carefully selected, shiny new school where English is stongly emphasised and felt that he had to come up with an announcement to match, to show that Thailand is doing something as well.  The figure of 10,000 new teachers was then plucked from the air to 'sex up' the announcement and he phoned Thaksin, who was delighted at the prospect of good copy headlines.  The rather important - but very dull - matter of funding was, of course, scarcely mentioned.  Such is the way of politicians everywhere around the world.

I found the thread interesting, being retired I have wanted to help with english here in Udon, at the public schools. Granted I don't have english teaching experience, my degree is only an A.A. Given that, I at least I can pronounce the words correctly. I would do it as a hobby, my retirement is enough. However, try to get a work permit for that. As I understand it even the qaulified and skilled teachers seem to have problems geting that. Imagine an influx of 10,000 newbies to be processed. This is a hot topic and rightfully so and as I recall it wasn't that long ago that all the Thai teachers were required to show proficiency in english. That seem's to have went the way side. Same way as this will, sounds good on paper.

My experiences certainly varied!

In my opinion Welshman is completely accurate when he states that many other countries try to make it relatively hassle free for qualified and experienced teachers to work there. This is not a "vast generalization" as stated above.

I have worked in ten countries and the ONLY one of those which made a meal of the paperwork was Thailand. I think the very existence of this board and its title is evidence enough of that. Surf around and see if you can find similar sites entitled "Malaysian Visa" or "Bahraini Visa" or "Korean Visa". You will not, because the immigration regulations in those countries seem able to distinguish between desirable and undesirable aliens, and make it reasonably straight-forward for the former to work legally. In 16 years in the Middle East I never once saw the inside of an Arab embassy or immigration office. Korea was one-stop, once a year. In China, I obtained residence/working papers in four days and did not have to become embroiled in the procedure at all. Everything was expeditiously handled by my employer – which is precisely how it should be, and how it is in the majority of countries which need and employ foreign teachers. In most places, once the initial red-tape (however complex, or otherwise) has been complied with, the immigrant/guest worker is then free to concentrate on other, more productive matters, such as doing the job for which they were initially engaged. In Thailand, the Byzantine stamp and paper chase is almost a perpetual work-in-progress.

]

It is a vast and innaccurate statement that doesn't even try to qualify it with 'some', 'most', 'many', etc. , so it comes out 'all except Thailand'. That is purely nonsense.

Just because someone disagrees with your angle is no reason to try to belittle them (or me). I come here not with some of these outlandish claims some others make, but with personal experience over 20 years here. Doesn't mean I know it all, doesn't mean I'm right or wrong. Just HONEST experience, expressed in a balanced way. I'm not wearing rose-colored glasses anymore than you're wearing shit-colored ones... As I said, your experiences will vary.. For me, I've never had any big immigration problems here, or anywhere else (until I applied for a retirememt extension , but that's another story.) I feel my reports here are balanced and fair. If you can find fault or inconsistency with that, point them out. I always stand behind what I say.

Again, ad nauseam perhaps, there are many factors to consider when comparing other places to live and work. If Thailand's not your scene, find the one that is. I would like to see everyone find their 'Home', as I have. :D

[quote name=Ajarn' date='2005-05-26 11:04:29

Just because someone disagrees with your angle is no reason to try to belittle them (or me). I come here not with some of these outlandish claims some others make, but with personal experience over 20 years here. Doesn't mean I know it all, doesn't mean I'm right or wrong. Just HONEST experience, expressed in a balanced way. I'm not wearing rose-colored glasses anymore than you're wearing shit-colored ones... As I said, your experiences will vary.. For me, I've never had any big immigration problems here, or anywhere else (until I applied for a retirememt extension , but that's another story.) I feel my reports here are balanced and fair. If you can find fault or inconsistency with that, point them out. I always stand behind what I say.

Again, ad nauseam perhaps, there are many factors to consider when comparing other places to live and work. If Thailand's not your scene, find the one that is. I would like to see everyone find their 'Home', as I have. :D

[/quote]

And you've done a good job of it Ajarn. Take heart. More often than not you are the only one who can be called balanced and fair here. It's a funny forum though. Everyone's experience and circumstance is different so, inevitably, no one answer is sufficient. :o

Keep up the good work... :D