Thai Red Shirts Lap Up Urban Support

webfact

I still can't believe how partisan, to one side or the other, farang are on this site. Whoever is in power, it'll make not the slightest difference to our lot in Thailand. Let the Thais get on with it for goodness sake.

No law around saying foreigners can't comment on Thai politics. Just because they aren't saying what you want to hear in this forum, you have no reason to disparage them. Plenty of other internet sites my friend, go join the chat on redshirttv if you want a proper Thaksin circle jerk.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you're wrong. I think a megalomaniac like Thaksin coming back to power would be a disaster for the country, including foreigners.

I think you're wrong. I think a Popular PM like Thaksin coming back to power would be a Blessing for the country, including foreigners.

Updated

He is popular with his base. That's it. Other than that, his coming back to to power would make the current divisiveness look very mild in comparison. I can't imagine a more divisive event for Thailand than Thaksin coming back to power.

I think you're wrong. I think a megalomaniac like Thaksin coming back to power would be a disaster for the country, including foreigners.

I think you're wrong. I think a Popular PM like Thaksin coming back to power would be a Blessing for the country, including foreigners.

Updated

Does that blessing apply to gays?

Updated

It would be ironic if Thaksin the saviour came back and fulfilled his promises to educate the poor. Presumably one of the lessons they'll learn is that it's wrong for an elected official to:

Buy votes.

Act as judge and execution rubber stamper.

Keep information that will save lives from the people (the bird flu).

Steal from the country.

Play games with people's lives for his own personal gain.

For this reason alone I can't see him, or any of his current proxies, telling the truth with all this sucking up to the rural electorate. If the people were really educated he'd be out on his arse, and probably thrown in jail to boot. It's the last thing he wanted while PM, it's the last thing he wants now.

Mr. Abhisit and his government is now threatening to extend the ISA further this is the reaction of a little child not of a mature person.

The way this government handles the red shirt challenge is totally idiotic.

They are as Thai as the yellow shirts - the government is disqualifying itself if it does not take up the plight of the red shirts soon. The question will be asked soon by others and not the Red Shirts only - Is this a government for yellow shirts only or for all Thais?

ISA nobody cares about - it is only here to legally absolve the politicians and army from any wrongdoing in advance!

The protests have been well organized, peaceful and this is a great achievement considering the number of protestors this is not an easy thing to do.

Most Bangkokians have reacted 100 times smarter than the government - with understanding for plight of the protesters. Probably also because many can identify themselves with what the red shirt's now stand - for more equality and against double standards.

Lets face it the red shirts have outsmarted the government which predicted chaos and mayhem before the first large demonstration - the protesters have proven them to be scaremongers and wrong.

So what does the PM want to do tell up to a 150.000 Thai citizens they have no right to peacefully demonstrate and go home - and if they don't - what then?

Public opinion is swinging if the government does not do something soon it will not survive. This government should uncouple itself from their military puppet masters.

I believe Mr. Abhisit is much more intelligent than the people who advise him and the ones who think they control him – funny some Red shirts try to demonise the PM – it would be so easy to single out Suthep instead - as most Thais I know - Red Shirts or not -despise the man as a lying, manipulating cheat. And FM Kasit as having lost all political credibility.

If Mr. Abhisit, Kasit and Suthep go on with this "Thaksin" obsession and demonising the Red Shirts - it only keeps them from governing this country and they will loose.

If Mr. Abhisit keeps insisting that Mr. Thaksin has to face the music - playing into the hands of the demonstrators reinforcing their double standard claim - then Mr. Abhisit should do the right thing.

Show some initiative for crying out loud! You are supposed to be the leader of this country!

Get rid of Suthep first most Thais I know yellow or red hate him – then he should step up onto the stage and assure the demonstrators that he is the PM for all Thais – and to prove it he should tier up the military 2007 constitution in front of them, and very publicly arrest the coup makers for his own protection – follow with UDD & PAD members who have broken the law, arrest the nutcase Saeh Deang for the crimes he has been accused of and put them all where they belong - behind bars.

He has to show that he means business – otherwise his days are numbered.

Just my few baht for whatever it's worth.

Do I believe that the people in the streets were supporting the idea of toppling the government? No

Does waving to people and holding red banners mean they support Thaksin or the ideas of the UDD? No

Do I think the people are supporting the right to protest and freedom of assembly? Yes

Big differences between supporting the ideas of toppling a government, supporting the ideals of a political movement and supporting the freedom to protest whether or not they agree or disagree with what the movement stands for.

I personally agree with the right to protest, though I do disagree with what the protest is actually about, and that is bringing back Thaksin and giving him amnesty for his crimes.

Edited by frodo

Plenty of nods and smiles from the passing parade for this lone farang on the streets of Din Daeng.

At least no anti-farang issues, just nice people.

Shame they still want the fugitive.

I suspect a lot of this 'spontaneous support' is people just joining the carnival-float atmos, not wanting to add further division, and a certain number who are genuinely afraid of the consequences of not supporting thousands of people marching up their street.

If I saw thousands of people shouting and so forth, marching up my street, I would not immediately run outside and shout "hey ! I totally disagree with you! You are supporters of a convicted criminal & some suspect military leaders too!" because I would probably get hurt. Much easier to smile, wave, dance a bit to the music & hope they go home peacefully. It doesn't mean you support their beliefs, it just means you don't want them to burn *your* neighbourhood.

Lets face it the red shirts have outsmarted the government which predicted chaos and mayhem before the first large demonstration - the protesters have proven them to be scaremongers and wrong.

I'm sure you read and heard what red shirt leaders were saying before the rallies, about burning the city down, bashing in Abhisit's head and bathing his head in his own blood with their feet, etc.

The fact is that they realized they were not getting the public reaction that they wanted over their original violent threats of action, so the reds decided to go with a softer tact. As well, the reds acted like animals last Songkran, killing people, disrupting international meetings, destroying buses and trying to blow up buildings with gas trucks.

The government has shown incredible restraint and composure, especially with the slanderous and violent accusations and threats poured on them from the red leaders and their criminal despot Herr Thaksin. Cheers for Abhisit and his rational and even decision making in this difficult time. Because of the reds' horrible previous reputation and idle threats of violence, the ISA was a necessary and prudent thing to do, and to keep active still at this time.

Edited by tominbkk

Is it safe to say that the people who support the thaksin/the reds are comfortable with nationwide corruption?

I'm baffled by the support the reds get but I have to remind myself that they are the majority, which in itself is a sorry tale.

Is it safe to say that the people who support the thaksin/the reds are comfortable with nationwide corruption?

I'm baffled by the support the reds get but I have to remind myself that they are the majority, which in itself is a sorry tale.

Based on the last election, they got slightly more votes, but are NOT the majority, as that would mean they have over 50 percent support of the Thai people, which based on the last election, they don't have. I also think it is clear the reds support has eroded since then. I am not saying they will or they won't win the next election, of course that is very possible. Edited by Jingthing

As you know Thai people luv party. Many people joint them for party atmosphere and was not support as much as for fun. As far ideology, they are still against both Red and Yellow because they don't really care. They just want to get on with their lives

Lol. Well that is true, Thai people love partying!! I can see how people just saw this as a one of a kind Thai mardi gras!!

True. I took a taxi today and all the taxi drive talked about was how "sanook" everything was.

He loved to party and have fun. He didn't care about Thaksin or the economy ... just party and fun.

For once didn't even care about the traffic jams.!!!

"Thailand sanook mak mak"

Based on the last election, they got slightly more votes, but are NOT the majority, as that would mean they have over 50 percent support of the Thai people, which based on the last election, they don't have. I also think it is clear the reds support has eroded since then. I am not saying they will or they won't win the next election, of course that is very possible.

I'm not too informed about the numbers, but I believe that the 'reds' would win the next election and that in itself is a sorry tale.

In the state things are here, isn't a dictatorship what is neccessary? It seems that nobody is welcome in government unless they pay(EDIT: pay or subdue) the population.

Edited by MaiDong

Based on the last election, they got slightly more votes, but are NOT the majority, as that would mean they have over 50 percent support of the Thai people, which based on the last election, they don't have. I also think it is clear the reds support has eroded since then. I am not saying they will or they won't win the next election, of course that is very possible.

I'm not too informed about the numbers, but I believe that the 'reds' would win the next election and that in itself is a sorry tale.

In the state things are here, isn't a dictatorship what is neccessary? It seems that nobody is welcome in government unless they pay the population.

The political reality is that Abhisit doesn't want an election now because he is hoping the economic recovery will mature over time and more people will forget the dream of resurrecting Thaksin. The longer he can delay, the better his chances to consolidate his power. I agree that it is not clear democracy is always the most effective political system in every country. Being a westerner, I like it, but you can't argue with the success of places like Singapore.

Edited by Jingthing

Jingthing is right, the reds don't have over 50% support of the Thai people.

It would be more like 70% these days.

No wonder the current self-imposed government will try to avoid general elections at all costs.

In the state things are here, isn't a dictatorship what is neccessary? It seems that nobody is welcome in government unless they pay the population.

The political reality is that Abhisit doesn't want an election now because he is hoping the economic recovery will mature over time and more people will forget the dream of resurrecting Thaksin. The longer he can delay, the better his chances to consolidate his power. I agree that it is not clear democracy is always the most effective political system in every country. Being a westerner, I like it, but you can't argue with the success of places like Singapore.

WIKI quote: 'Singapore is a parliamentary republic, and the Constitution of Singapore establishes representative democracy as the nation's political system.[19] The People's Action Party (PAP) dominates the political process and has won control of Parliament in every election since self-government in 1959'

WOW, 51 years of the same government, that WILL help!

No wonder the current self-imposed government will try to avoid general elections at all costs.

That is a pipe dream and completely unsupportable. If you were right, how come the million man march only produced 10 percent of their goal?

I must say this is a bit of a crock

Yes they do have support in Bangkok from a few but that is it.

Because they are being peaceful and non violent,

yesterdays procession was more like a parade than

a rolling protest. Lets face it, everyone likes a parade

We were down in Chinatown yesterday afternoon and was in

a little back alley when we heard the honks and hoopla. Yes, we

quickly made are way to see what the to-do was. It was the

parade winding thru Chinatown. Yes, we stood and watched as

they rolled by, as did many many others.

But does that mean I support the red shorts, NO it does not,

it only means I love a parade.

A few supporters you say ? Okay, compaired to the population it could be considered "a few", but they speak out for the lower and middle-class. As opposed t the yellows some time ago, they remain peacful, they don't block the airport, they don't shoot innocent people. As far as the bomb attacks, it might aswell be the yellows again trying to put the reds in bad daylight.

There are enough people who' d love to see the PM step down. Face it, what did he do already to make some changes ?

Almost every picture shows bystanders, but many of them have red footclappers, red flags or headbands ... if they just love a parade they wouldn't bother wearing those items, would they ?

Just my idea :)

I must say this is a bit of a crock

Yes they do have support in Bangkok from a few but that is it.

Because they are being peaceful and non violent,

yesterdays procession was more like a parade than

a rolling protest. Lets face it, everyone likes a parade

We were down in Chinatown yesterday afternoon and was in

a little back alley when we heard the honks and hoopla. Yes, we

quickly made are way to see what the to-do was. It was the

parade winding thru Chinatown. Yes, we stood and watched as

they rolled by, as did many many others.

But does that mean I support the red shorts, NO it does not,

it only means I love a parade.

A few supporters you say ? Okay, compaired to the population it could be considered "a few", but they speak out for the lower and middle-class. As opposed t the yellows some time ago, they remain peacful, they don't block the airport, they don't shoot innocent people. As far as the bomb attacks, it might aswell be the yellows again trying to put the reds in bad daylight.

There are enough people who' d love to see the PM step down. Face it, what did he do already to make some changes ?

Almost every picture shows bystanders, but many of them have red footclappers, red flags or headbands ... if they just love a parade they wouldn't bother wearing those items, would they ?

Looks like the red lie machine is back in action.

Remain peaceful?

Talk to us about the red Songkran violence.

Guns baseball bats and a hijacked tanker.

Maybe not; just parrot Thaksin's denial.

Did you know that it wasn't actually the yellows at the airport but reds dressed up in yellow shirts? :)

Am I dreaming or are a few of the usual suspects beginning to smell the coffee? Finally some are acknowledging that PPP got the most votes of any party in the last election, that the successor party would almost certainly win any election held right now, that Abhisit and his backers are stalling because they hope they might have more chance of a result in 2011, and that there is rather more popular support for the protests than they initially imagined. Probably in time these posters will understand that there was something in the 'genie out of the bottle' argument, that not all the reds were bought, and that there is a significant section for whom Thaksin is not the future. Some TV 'yellows' might well come around to a more sympathetic stance towards the poor if the red leadership could articulate a way forward which is about fairness and improved social policies, and less about the cult of personality. Of course, many of the regulars will always oppose redistributive policies and improved welfare programmes.

Huh? "They don't shoot innocent people"? LOL

The reds floated the airport idea and were told "no" along with other ideas that they were told "no" to as well.

You really should go back and do a bit of research about the PAD's efforts and the attacks they absorbed and they still kept going. Then you should do a bit of research about the UDD/DAAD/Red shirt movement and see what their leaders have threatened, said ... and yes .... done. Glad to see that you support the folks that perpetrated Songkran 2009, ASEAN 2009, threatened grenade attacks and executions in 2010, threatened burning BKK in 2010 etc! Yeah, nice group of folks indeed!

Sounds like the managers of the MRTA are pro-Abhisit.

I can also confirm plenty of supporters out in Ramkhamhaeng.

There was a big crowd of supporters at the sii yaek Huay Khwang as well.

I life there and the crowd was one row thin. 25 of the supporters were the motorcycle taxidrivers from my condo whom got 200 baht each to be there. I know these guys very well. Have lived here over 11 years now and use their services daily. They were all happy to tell me that they earned 200 baht for being there.

Furthermore 99% of the citizens I saw in Huai Kwang that day were going along with their usual business.

W

That is a pipe dream and completely unsupportable. If you were right, how come the million man march only produced 10 percent of their goal?

Most of the figure on this site are pulled from the sky or obscure reports.

Only free elections can tell on this.

Am I dreaming or are a few of the usual suspects beginning to smell the coffee? Finally some are acknowledging that PPP got the most votes of any party in the last election, that the successor party would almost certainly win any election held right now, that Abhisit and his backers are stalling because they hope they might have more chance of a result in 2011, and that there is rather more popular support for the protests than they initially imagined. Probably in time these posters will understand that there was something in the 'genie out of the bottle' argument, that not all the reds were bought, and that there is a significant section for whom Thaksin is not the future. Some TV 'yellows' might well come around to a more sympathetic stance towards the poor if the red leadership could articulate a way forward which is about fairness and improved social policies, and less about the cult of personality. Of course, many of the regulars will always oppose redistributive policies and improved welfare programmes.

You are dreaming.

Why?

Because your only objective is to restore the criminal Thaksin. All the rest is dressing from you.

There is no doubt Thailand is in a big political mess these days, and there is no easy solution. There will be a new election someday in the not so distant future. If Thaksin is still a player, the Thaksin puppets might win. Does anyone for one second seriously believe that will mean the end of this mess? Clearly, if the Thaksin puppets win they will try to wipe out his crimes and possibly reinstall him into total power. Do you think the opposition, and not ONLY the yellows, will sit back for that kind of outrage?

Edited by Jingthing

after our petrol experience yesterday my wife concluded the supporters appeared to people who hadn't obtained a degree (of course there'll be exceptions).

They should have asked Li Ka-Shing and Amacio Ortega to join the parade. Those buggers didn't even finish high school. Your point being? No degree = Thick as shit?

I think the article has nailed it with "lower middle" - after our petrol experience yesterday my wife concluded the supporters appeared to people who hadn't obtained a degree (of course there'll be exceptions).

Speaking of which, this movement is lacking in an area of support every other political movement seems to have featured which has lead to political upheaval - widespread support from the students. Will be interesting to see if they achieve it without them.

"People who hadn't obtained a degree"??????

Degree of what? If you/she were referring to education, what does that have to do with anything. A person does not need a degree, to have a voice and/or intelligence.

In a lot of cases, they only need money to get that "degree" and with enough money they don't even need the intelligence.

It's got a lot to do with anything here in Thailand. You need a degree here to get a standard office job.

No point taking offence - these are the rules. I know in reality it might not make a difference to the level of intelligence of a person.

If you put the same people through the education system it would be interesting to see if they're still red shirt supporters on the other side however.