Freemasons In Chiang Mai

mamborobert

Before we start...I am not and never have been a Freemason.

My father is of different ilk however and will be visiting me mid year and likes dropping in on different lodges on his trips (has done so in South Africa, the states, the Phillipines, Hong Kong and others).

As far as I can see there is (or was?) a French speaking lodge (Lodge Les 7 Niveaux de la Sagesse No. 891) in Chiang Mai.

Does any one know if there is an English speaking lodge in Chiang Mai, or are (and this may be a silly question) English speakers welcome at the French lodge assuming that it is still up and running.

If Chiang Mai has none does anyone know where the nearest lodge to Chiang Mai is? I would have thought there is one given the number of expats and other guilds, associations, veterans groups that exits in the community. While I am at it, for the Aussies here...is there an RSL sub branch?

thanks to all

Edited by mamborobert

I am not a Freemason, but knowing a little about their order, I am quite certain that any traveling Mason would be welcome at any lodge, anywhere, regardless of language.

There is no English-speaking Freemason lodge in Chiangmai.

The closest would be Bangkok, where there are at least three, active, English-speaking lodges.

And in Pattaya, there is an English-speaking lodge.

I have no information about French lodges.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

Edited by Oneman

I am not a Freemason, but knowing a little about their order, I am quite certain that any traveling Mason would be welcome at any lodge, anywhere, regardless of language.

There are many different orders.

There is an American one here - so I have heard, but I think its rather selective - or should I say cautious in who they invite for the festivities. (probably the DEA agents!)

Edited by whiterussian

well there is a group of English speaking Gents that are meeting every Monday for Lunch, and no women allowed in there.

I will ask my friend hes a member so where it is the meeting is hold, I know its somewhere on Huay Kaew road.

The ladies can go to the masonettes meeting!!

well there is a group of English speaking Gents that are meeting every Monday for Lunch, and no women allowed in there.

I will ask my friend hes a member so where it is the meeting is hold, I know its somewhere on Huay Kaew road.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I dont know but you heard about those gent society that was in UK it was sac religious to let a female in the club :)

The Conservative Clubs around the UK used to have a ban on women membership unless there was the occasional special event that invited all family members irrespective of gender (pretty rare though!). It was a bit weird really seeing a 'Men's Only' club with a large photo of their female Prime Minister, Mrs Margret Thatcher, watching over the male members in every room but the bog!

But as we so quickly evolve as a race and the women become more like men and the men more like women, it wasn't long before the wife-beaters got together and aggressively protested against such establishments. As a consequence, these clubs now have noisy kids running amok, along with nagging wives telling their men folk to quickly sup up and get home, or take them to the supermarket. So it's probably fair to say that there's now more oestrogen than testosterone in the air of what used to be the 'male escape' in society. :D

They did disallow them (the women that is) into the snooker rooms at the Conservative clubs for a while, but it didn't last long once the first females got onto the committee and opened up 'all rooms' to the fairer sex.

So maybe the Freemasons is the only place left of the planet where a man can escape from the bearded women of society? Then again, with all this mobile technology and folks being so important these days that they cannot, they dare not, turn them off for an hour or 2, then I guess it doesn't matter where you go or what you do, 'cus the little lady will always be able to contact and interrupt what might have been a good dose of male-only-banter for a duration.

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

My friend is a freemason! (from Lewis) And he misses the piss ups! (excuse him, the ******* board [meetings])

But he is not allowed to join other lodges without permission from HQ(GL) in London as he recalls.

Maybe they have to be on the approved list of worthy-world-revolutionary-gents-clubs.

He also wonders if it would be worth making regalia here, but he probably can't be bothered, even though he can knock up an online shop in about 20 minutes.

He tells me he already knew the secret handshake (allegedly), because everyone he ever shook hands with previously had given him the handshake, so he thought it was the normal way to do it!

Oh well, his lodge dues are probably way overdue by now anyhow.

F.G

W.B,A

Edited by whiterussian