For Non-thais: Have You Received Free Electricity From The Thai Government?

Jingthing

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The first time I got FREE electricity from the Thai government, I was shocked! In a good way. Does this happen to you?

The deal is if you use a certain amount under the charging threshold, you get it free. Presumably as a way to help poor people who don't have a lot of electronics.

Edited by Jingthing

Have been getting for a long time now, I have two meters for two rooms, one room is always under the limit set by the government so I never pay electricity for that room. However, this will change in June as this is when the Government Initiative will end.

Edited for clarity

Edited by beano2274

Have been getting for a long time now, I have two meters for two rooms, one room is always under the limit set by the government so I never pay electricity for that room. However, this will change in June as this Government Initiative will

end then.

Same here. Thanks for the warning. I wonder if they will extend it for political reasons. It is probably a people pleaser, so why cancel it before the next elections?

Not electricity, but I haven't paid anything for water in months now

I hadn't paid for water in ages too but the past three months the bill came with a barcode (same as before the free water period-all the free water bills had no barcode therefore you couldn't have paid even if you'd wanted to).

I paid them at the 7-11 so it seems round my way the free water thing is over.

In the old condo where I rented, the boss there increased the rent, as he knew that occupants would be under the limit and not have to pay electricity (paid directly to him) so he had to do something, hence the increase in rent.

Not electricity, but I haven't paid anything for water in months now

I hadn't paid for water in ages too but the past three months the bill came with a barcode (same as before the free water period-all the free water bills had no barcode therefore you couldn't have paid even if you'd wanted to).

I paid them at the 7-11 so it seems round my way the free water thing is over.

Yep.......

Not electricity, but I haven't paid anything for water in months now.

That program stooped 3 months ago you'd better check out to see if it is still in effect..

Funny just got my electric bill and it was a big fat juicy ZERO, so that one is still okay.

Water not sure of, as I pay the condo fee

Edited by beano2274

I can't imagine using so little electricity that I would ever qualify. I love aircon.

Same here. I'd rather go without a TV than aircon. Last time the 7-11 clerk even commented how expensive my bill was.

Not electricity, but I haven't paid anything for water in months now.

That program stooped 3 months ago you'd better check out to see if it is still in effect..

my water bill came last week. 0 baht. close call though at 198 baht (below 200 free).

Don't you people use a/c, or take showers? I've never had free water or elec in the seven years I've been in Thailand.

Barry

See Post #2.

Showers, yes, cold ones! I prefer cold ones now except for really cool days in the winter. That is because I am acclimated to the climate like a Thai.

Anyway, in my case I very rarely use aircon for good reasons. When I first moved to Thailand I would sweat a lot when walking outside. I had read several places that the only way to acclimate yourself to a tropical climate is to not use aircon. I tried it, and it works. I am able to tolerate hot weather extremely well now. There is no shock to the body when going outside. Also, living in Jomtien, there are strong ocean breezes that quite often cool naturally, and are wasted if you close your place off with aircon. Then, of course, there are the cost savings, which are of course a bonus. If my experiment had failed and not using aircon had not acclimated me, I would have reverted to the aircon. But it worked and I am mostly quite comfortable without it. Of course there are some days where the humidity gets out of hand, and the aircon must be used to fix the misery. So why waste money, not to mention global warming?

Edited by Jingthing

I used to like to have a fan above my head for sleeping but I now find that too COLD and sort of point it at the wall, so it is just a general breeze reflected back. Never use aircon for sleeping but maybe in the middle of day in April, and yes have had zero electric and water, though in CM it was half price electric and free water for some reason (a year ago).