19k Electricity Invoice?

PTYfan

Hi,

im living in a hi-rise condo in the heart of sathorn in a 2 bed room apartment.

Im using 2 air cons during the day and 1 at night in the bedroom.

My laptop is running 24/7 and i charge my phone over night.. so we are totally far from heavy usage here.

The first month i got an electricity invoice for 19,000baht. I complained to the management and got told that it would be all normal.

The showed me the meter and the numbers matched those on my invoice.

I had to pay the invoice course i didnt want to live for a month without any electricity.

Today, about 3 1/2 weeks later, i get another electricity invoice which is close 18,500baht.

Those crazy amounts cant be real. I was expecting 2 or 3 or 4,000baht but not 19,000baht!!

What should i do now? I have 2 days left to pay the latest invoice before they turn the power off. Is there anything i can do?

Maybe the meter measured another apartment too? They installed it wrong etc?

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably paying about 10 or 12 baht per unit, private use is about 3 baht per unit.

Ask to see how many units you are being charged for and how much for a single unit.

Ah the joys of condo living, why no direct bill from the elect company, you are being scammed, as I said before the joys of condo living.

well you have something plugged somewhere that takes a shitload of electricity.

Maybe bad wiring.. get an electrician to check your stuff out

With 2-3AC running 24/7 and a bunch of electronics i never went over 4500baht

You're being charged what the condo is charging you, not what the utility provider is billing.

I has this when i made the mistake of leaving an aircon on all day in a central BKK apartment a few years ago.- 16k electric bills a month for a 2 story 1 bed place.

With one room aircon'd 24/7 here, it's about 3k a month, including the rest of the houses needs.

I have direct bill from the electricity company.

It says 4837 units and a total of 18,296 baht.

So im paying close to 4baht per unit..

No way in the world you are using 4837 units a month.....even if the 3 aircons were running 24/7.

I have a 260 square meter house with a large yard, which is all lit at night. Air con unit runs for about 10 hours a night. I have electric water pumps for inside the house but also for irrigating the garden. Run a large fridge, load of washing most days, constant pc on :) , tv, stereo, always home....use about 250 units of electricity in the winter months and about 350 in the summer months.

You need to contact the electricity company and have the meter checked & the guy thats telling you that is standard is having you on.....its standard power usage for a small factory. :D

At that useage about 4 baht per unit is right....but theres no way ur using that much power.

Edited by neverdie

turn off everything in the apt, and the fuse switch

Look at the meter and see if is still going round

150units a day is an impossible amount to use, my 3 bed house uses about 300 units a month.

(190bht standing charge, 0.92bht per unit, 7 percent tax = 500bht a month)

Edited by sarahsbloke

turn off everything in the apt, and the fuse switch

Look at the meter and see if is still going round

150units a day is an impossible amount to use, my 3 bed house uses 100 units a week.

Great idea.....crikey at the rate he's using electricity that little meter must have smoke pouring off it :) ....it would be spinning like crazy.

Yep you are being taken for a ride or have a serious fault somewhere.

I was the plant manager of a large boat building yard in Sattahip, 65 workwers using multiple power tools, air compressors, circular saw tables, hurricane fans, lighting and dust extractors, working 10 hours a day 7 days a week, average bill was around 13,000 Baht

Edited by aitch52

Turn everything off and see if the meter is still showing consumption - it is not unknown for condo owners to wire the owner's apartment into various tenants meters! Or there may be a genuine wiring mistake, I know one girl who was paying four/five times what we were for a one-room apartment - and she was out most of the day working whereas we stayed home a lot more.

The cheaper low ampage meters are read differently to the more expensive meters but I can't quite recall how without seeing one, it sounds like you are a factor of ten out!

If your bill comes direct from the elect company to your address, have a look at the bill.

It will list not only the current months usage, but will also have the previous 6 months listed telling you the units used by month.

If your bill comes direct from the elect company to your address, have a look at the bill.

It will list not only the current months usage, but will also have the previous 6 months listed telling you the units used by month.

<deleted>? Its a little piece of paper with just a few numbers on it.....how on earth would it do that?

We just turned off everything and the meter stopped running.

Okay, thats step 1. Now run around the place, put just the fridge on, check the meter, then just the pc, then just the light in the living room etc, see which item really gets the meter ticking over......or does it just go crazy when anything is running?

I would think some of your neighbors are connected to your meter.

Shout down absolutely everything the monitor the meter for couple hrs. Of course there should be no usage at all.

I have 3 br condo and the most I pay is 2,500 bth

We just turned off everything and the meter stopped running.

How did you "turn off everything"?

Did you use the switches and pulled the cord on the fridge, or did you remove the main fuse?

(Important because someone could be diverting power from your circuit after the fuse)

Edited by manarak

I would think some of your neighbors are connected to your meter.

Shout down absolutely everything the monitor the meter for couple hrs. Of course there should be no usage at all.

I have 3 br condo and the most I pay is 2,500 bth

Read post #16 dude, hes already done that.

make sure one of the first appliances you check for electricity usage is the aircon......if its an old dinosuor unit, it could be capable of eating huge amounts of electricty, but still not that much, something in that condo is affecting the meter.

My thought is simply this, the meter will start running too fast everytime anything is used. the meter needs to be investigated by the electricty company, dont play with it urself, DANGEROUS.

Edited by neverdie

look at the meter every day at the same hour, write it down over a few weeks, and you can also see if there are huge differences from day to day.

check the usage of your 2 aircons(daytime running) over 1 hour, then you can calculate easily how much it is per day

Edited by goldfinger

Has the OP tried switching of his Large Hadron Collider? That could be the cause of the hefty bill.

Its why you switched to a diesel operated butt plug, wasnt it? :D:)

Diesel powered butt plug, I have no idea what you are referring to ND.

It's all about solar power nowadays :D

<deleted>? Its a little piece of paper with just a few numbers on it.....how on earth would it do that?

Dont know where you live, or how your bill comes.

Live in Bkk, the bill comes through the post once a month.

Its a white perforated type envelope about 6 by 3 inches.

Just had a look at last months for the month of Feb.

Directly underneath it list the units used by month, from August last year until Jan this year.

If the readings are correct, maybe check that no-one else has piggy backed onto your electricity supply/meter....

My old house had three air units, one large one that was on pretty much most of the time. Bill was usually around 5000B per month (Inc. the FT charge, it works out to around 3.65 per unit).