Offshore Safety Wear

jonnyscot

2500 US per day .... Nice ! not too many of those going about ...

i remember few years ago myself and my b2b were alternating in a fab yard prior to a rig sail out, even though we were on a very good day rate, couldn't believe the guy was putting sub $5 receipts for all kinds of shit ... some people are pretty anal.. Even in my current position I can't be bothered to do the paperwork for the fare to Pattaya to Airport al though its in the contract door to door

The posters question is pretty valid as i've gone to loads of jobs where you are give ill-fitting or crap PPE.....Quality boots are top of my list when departing for any job, especially if your'e on 12 hour shifts...

What i do, always turn up with quality gear, if they provide good stuff take it and keep your own stuff as spare...actually have a backlog of Jallettis, Steel Blue boots, overslls, helmets etc..

The heat and humidity will kill the Jallettis rubber

Soles off in 3 or so years in Thailand. so don’t keep them to long.

or seal them up in some air tight bag. :)

The heat and humidity will kill the Jallettis rubber

Soles off in 3 or so years in Thailand. so don't keep them to long.

or seal them up in some air tight bag. :D

Red wings are the same....Its a conspiracy between manufacturers, they limit the shelf life of the rubber so you have to buy new boots all time..... :) ...in reality you should replace your boots every 12-24 months anyway..

I had a brand new pair in quite a warm place, they were there for a few years, when I tried to move them they were stuck, they moved eventually but left the soles stuck to the wooden shelf, never did like Red wings!

Edited by CGW

Red wing slip on's are crap, Red wing lace ups on the other hand are very good. :)

Agreed, but they are a pain if you are in and out all day, also nasty when working with OBM.

The new standard 9North Sea) for boots is for lace ups, with a zip up the side, that way you are supposed to be able to adjust them for fit and still get them off quick!

• 2 months later...

I too am looking for coveralls.

A quick google search brought me to this topic.

Truly amazing some of the posts here. 3 pages of crap and only a few positive posts but still, no real answers.

So I'm still looking for quality gear here in the Pattaya area. Can anyone help?

I checked out Rayong PPE. They have an impressive sign outside their store but they carry the same stock as all the others. I ended up buying a couple of pairs of coveralls at Global Home. They are the same blue coveralls with the gaudy zippers but they do have reflective tape already sewn on. They also have very bright orange of the same design.Boots, Hardhat and Safety Glasses I got at a place in Mapthaput called Pangolin Safety Shoes.

Maybe the shop on the main road in Ban Chang could have what you are looking for. It's been a few years since I've shopped there so couldn't guarantee it wont be a wasted journey.

I too am looking for coveralls.

A quick google search brought me to this topic.

Truly amazing some of the posts here. 3 pages of crap and only a few positive posts but still, no real answers.

So I'm still looking for quality gear here in the Pattaya area. Can anyone help?

Sorry it's crap,only the poor offshore oil personnel live in Thailand,better try Singapore ,that's where the more affluent engineers live,better choice

$2500 a day usually equates to one days work a year (if lucky) that's why it has to be Thailand!!!

Edited by jori

Maybe the shop on the main road in Ban Chang could have what you are looking for. It's been a few years since I've shopped there so couldn't guarantee it wont be a wasted journey.

Wasted journey to Ban Chang? Not possible IYKWIMAITYD!

Sorry it's crap,only the poor offshore oil personnel live in Thailand,better try Singapore ,that's where the more affluent engineers live,better choice

$2500 a day usually equates to one days work a year (if lucky) that's why it has to be Thailand!!!

Oh dear... not another effluent affluent pseudo- oilfield trash with the typically Singapore expat 'my sh!t don't stink' attitude?

Yup... that's 2500 US dollars too... not your SIN monopoly money.

Prefer to spend my per diem in Pattaya where there's a helluva lot more 'bang' for the buck than the 'Four Floors of...' well, you know where don't you?

Betcha think Changi airport rocks too?

Maybe there's a better choice of ladyboy in Singapore... but even that is a marginal call.

Now, back on topic where in THAILAND can the OP get PPE gear that fits?

A lot of Walter Mitty types caught the Bangkok bound flights after periods on the rigs,sort of creme-de-creme caught the Singapore flights,funny really the airport staff at points of departure always knew which type were going to either of the two destinations even before check in desks opened.

Much better class of oil worker frequents Singapore ,wonder why that is?.

^ Intriguing question indeed Walter. Let us know when you have worked it out.

Class among the oildfield trash... there's a novel concept indeed.

I will admit that my coveralls were bought in Singapore. That must make them creme de la creme coveralls eh?

Wasted journey to Ban Chang? Not possible IYKWIMAITYD!

Yeah fair one I suppose he could pop down there as well !! I had to Google 'YKWIMAITYD' !!

^ Intriguing question indeed Walter. Let us know when you have worked it out.

Class among the oildfield trash... there's a novel concept indeed.

I will admit that my coveralls were bought in Singapore. That must make them creme de la creme coveralls eh?

Erm ... think I used Walter first Walter but if the thinking cap is not on well, it's OK by me.

Let me guess, to get termed Walter obviously a braggart is in our midst,so obviously a fair bit must have been undertaken,let me guess ,as you aready state a figure or figures that nobody else undertakes for work,first class air travel?,but let me guess past posts will include knowing famous people or having your own physician ,accountant or lawyer in attendance at all times and obviously fine dining and wines will be at the top of a trumped up dialogue,still the flock you try to impress will be highly impressed to have such a esteemed fellow as yourself in their midst. That's it Walter,keep up the repertoire

And the hits just keep on coming. Must be that rarefied Singapore upper-class air... can't possibly be drugs of course.

A braggart? In coveralls to boot? Loadsa money yes but note I only First Class when SOMEONE else is paying. I don't know anyone remotely famous but I did get pissed up with Hurricane Higgins in Club Volvo in HKG when he was a champ and Hong Kong was still old colonial. Oh... I waved at the Queen outside Aboyne when I was about 5. I use the same quacks as the other 'challenged' Pattaya resident tourists, do my own sums and my best drinking buddy is a defense lawyer, but never mine. I like fish and chips, somtam, Jack Daniels and cheap plonk soooooo.... you must be describing one of your higher echelon oilfield neighbours that are obviously 'living the dream' in Singapore.

I am popping down your way for a 2-day job next week. That will be another US$4k in the bank. Flying Coach with that rubbish Singapore Airlines but someone has to do it.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Nice one NanLaew, I don't see much of Sing myself,, rather lowly I guess,,,,,, i'm usually confined to the trips to India, W Africa with the odd jaunt to Dubai etc.. I cannot claim to have waved at the queen in Aboyne, although I did wave at Billy Connoly at the Lonach Gathering last year whilst sipping downing a glass of The Dalmore,,,

And the hits just keep on coming. Must be that rarefied Singapore upper-class air... can't possibly be drugs of course.

A braggart? In coveralls to boot? Loadsa money yes but note I only First Class when SOMEONE else is paying. I don't know anyone remotely famous but I did get pissed up with Hurricane Higgins in Club Volvo in HKG when he was a champ and Hong Kong was still old colonial. Oh... I waved at the Queen outside Aboyne when I was about 5. I use the same quacks as the other 'challenged' Pattaya resident tourists, do my own sums and my best drinking buddy is a defense lawyer, but never mine. I like fish and chips, somtam, Jack Daniels and cheap plonk soooooo.... you must be describing one of your higher echelon oilfield neighbours that are obviously 'living the dream' in Singapore.

I am popping down your way for a 2-day job next week. That will be another US$4k in the bank. Flying Coach with that rubbish Singapore Airlines but someone has to do it.

Whilst on the subject of snooker players this is how I would compare Thailand to Singapore

Thailand - a bit daft & crazy but good fun = Alex(The Hurricane)Higgins

Singapore - sterile & boring & dull = Graeme Dott

Talking to some of the guys at Shell over in Kuala Lumpur this morning on pay rates,they are reputed to be the top payers at the moment,seems $1200 tops for a day rate is all that is on offer,and that's for senior management consultants,still who am I to doubt it?.Have invited one of the guys to join this debate from there so specifics can be debated,I have given him the Thai Visa web site details so hopefully quite a discussion will take place on just what is on offer.The guys there were in disbelief also that supposedly (inflated) pay rates were being discussed openly as well,personaIly I have never seen anybody bragging how much they earn, let alone in the oil sector,one for the tax man I should think!!

Houston was my bag in days past,not Singapore or Thailand, sub sea stuff,now there was a nice earner

Talking to some of the guys at Shell over in Kuala Lumpur this morning on pay rates,they are reputed to be the top payers at the moment,seems $1200 tops for a day rate is all that is on offer,and that's for senior management consultants,still who am I to doubt it?.Have invited one of the guys to join this debate from there so specifics can be debated,I have given him the Thai Visa web site details so hopefully quite a discussion will take place on just what is on offer.The guys there were in disbelief also that supposedly (inflated) pay rates were being discussed openly as well,personaIly I have never seen anybody bragging how much they earn, let alone in the oil sector,one for the tax man I should think!!

Houston was my bag in days past,not Singapore or Thailand, sub sea stuff,now there was a nice earner

Day rates for consultants (Geologists / Drilling Engineers) is somewhere between US$900 low end Wellsite Geologist to US$1500 top end Wellsite Geologist with the norm currently being US$1200/day (+per-diem, door to door, business class flights if more than 4 hrs) / about US$1000 low end Co.Man onwards and upwards to an Est. $2000 or even $2500 for a top end Company man)

Oh... and I waved at a few queens in Changi Village in Singapore by mistake... so I ran off to Thailand to avoid my embarrassment in front of the Oil Field Hoi Polloi...

Edited by richard_smith237

Day rates for consultants (Geologists / Drilling Engineers) is somewhere between US$900 low end Wellsite Geologist to US$1500 top end Wellsite Geologist with the norm currently being US$1200/day (+per-diem, door to door, business class flights if more than 4 hrs) / about US$1000 low end Co.Man onwards and upwards to an Est. $2000 or even $2500 for a top end Company man)

Oh... and I waved at a few queens in Changi Village in Singapore by mistake... so I ran off to Thailand to avoid my embarrassment in front of the Oil Field Hoi Polloi...

Thanks for that.

ive learnt three things from this thread...

1. you cant buy good safety gear in pattaya..............can,it's a piece of rubber in a small packet,but it takes the fun out of it.

2. you all earn lots of money......................did.

3. offshore workers bicker like schoolchildren............................you could incorporate the recently used SAS /SBS thread into some of the revelations on this thread, as it stated every ex army sod you ever meet in Pattaya is supposedly a highly trained killer,.....me? a member of a travelling bath unit would have done.