Consignment Stores In Bkk?

How would you furnish a bare town house? I wasn't planning on spending many times the annual rent on furniture. As for the kitchen, there are eateries selling delicious food, so I feel like leaving the kitchen empty.

There are La-Z-Buy chairs and such for 3X,000 Baht new, but are there stores selling better quality used furniture? I'm not liking the usual stuff - overpriced junk.

Just wondering.

Chris

post-74315-1269343850_thumb.jpg

post-74315-1269344742_thumb.jpg

You better plan on 50k for cabinets if you want a kitchen. There is just no cheaper way to do it. Kitchens are expensive. I think it is a conspiracy.

There are many Thai shops that have excellent, inexpensive furniture that is just as good as the stuff you will find at Index for less than half the price. There is a great shop in a quad wide 4 story townhouse across the street from the Rangsit Market parking garage if you are in the north end of Bangkok. Cheapest and largest selection I have found. No La Z Boy recliners though. If you want that kind of imported furniture better stick to the overpriced malls.

Otherwise, just look around. Stay out of the major retail chains and you can find some good deals. Avoid the shows at the exhibition centres. They always add a premium over what you can get outside. In their warped mind they think you should pay for their advertising.

100k should easily furnish a 3 bedroom townhouse with living room and dining area. Not worth spending more than that.

Don't you just love the Thai style surface mount plumbing and electrics?

We bought a fair bit of furniture from individual sellers who sometimes show up taking temporary space at hypermarkets and shopping centers, the good thing about this type of vendor is that they can manufacture to order for example for our corner unit sofa I was able to choose a style I liked then specify exact dimensions (farang XL size), coverings for sofa and cushions and even the type of padding for the cushions cost about 22k, we also found a classic style teakwood kingsize bed for 17k excluding mattress. Wardrobes were from a shop in Secon Square's furniture floor, a couple of 3 door units with full length mirrors set us back 6k a piece including delivery and on-site installation, surprisingly well constructed and attractive for the price.

Good luck with the new house.

PS. Shouldn't there be a U-bend on that sink unit?

Thanks - much appreciated. One last Q: where exactly is that retailer? Near the bus station where folks change busses? :) Chris

If you park in the 3 story parking garage next to Rangsit II Apartments, it is directly across the small soi and about 50 meters down. 4 shop houses wide and 4 stories tall. They've got pretty much every thing you can think of. Apparently they wholesale for many of the smaller retailers throughout the northern section of Bangkok, or at least that is what they tell me. Their prices are decent anyway.

Google Earth coordinates are 13 59' 10.69"N, 100 36' 44.67"E. Satellite image is old. That parking lot you see in the picture is now actually a parking garage.

Edit: typo on the coordinates

Edited by gregb