What Bangkok Residents Are Saying About The Red Shirt Rally

webfact

YOUR SAY

What Bangkokians are saying about the red shirt rally

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The followings are what Bangkokians think about the pro-Thaksin demonstrations

Precha Itsaraphan, TOT official

"The protest is for Thaksin only. Most protesters are uneducated about true democracy. Moreover, the government cannot do anything much."

Umnaj Leuyprae, company worker

"I have not been affected by this protest. However, it has impacted on the country's economy and tourism. It's difficult for the government to solve this problem. This protest is organised to serve Thaksin's interest."

Lamphoon Passaphan a job seeker

"I don't like the protest. I want to see unity among the Thais. The country is in trouble and we have to help in its development. This conflict is so bad I think negotiations won't help. All sides should reduce their ego. Why don't we cooperate and make Thailand go forward?"

Warunya Ridmad, highschool student

"This protest affects my daily life when I leave home for extra-tutorial classes. House dissolution is not the true answer [to the ongoing political problem]. They should talk with reason instead of emotion. The country's interest must come first."

Surasiri Thepsutinun , 33-year-old entrepreneur

"I don't mind about the rally, but the protesters must pay respect to the laws and avoid violence. The government should speed up the cases against the yellow shirts so that the red shirts can't cite double standards. Dissolving the House is the best solution at this time."

Benjamas Chaikul, university graduate

"It [the protest] is troublesome. With or without the protest, the economy has not been worse than this. Neither dissolving the House nor negotiating is the right way to solve the problem."

Paisan Morkcharoonpong, company worker

"Enough of the rally. The Thai economy is still in trouble. The government has to solve this problem in any way possible because it's their main duty."

Alisara Panyasai, university student

"The protesters made noise last Saturday by honking horns to induce Bangkokians to join them. I hope talks between the government and the red shirts can find an answer. Everybody should think for the country. Don't think about personal interests."

Ittiphan Silasai, taxi driver

"I dislike this rally because it's not good for the economy. Moreover, splashing blood at both the Democrat Party's office and Abhisit Vejjajiva's house was a violation of human rights."

Prayot, a middle-aged man

"The red-shirt movement is well-disciplined. Without them, such a political movement cannot be conceived. The Abhisit government will eventually dissolve the House; it is just a matter of time now."

Lalita, a pet shop owner

"I feel indifferent towards the red shirts. However, House dissolution may be the best choice."

Phiranya Phoklang, Bangkok housewife

"Although Thaksin's administration was corrupt, it did improve the poor's living conditions. Drugs eradication was also Thaksin's success, which was a sharp contrast to that of Abhisit's. Economic and political disparities are evident under Abhisit's government. I voted for Thaksin not because of money as the authorities always allege. My support [for him] resulted from my fact-gathering."

Supha, a freelance

"The red shirts are right. They demand social justice. We cannot just concentrate on vague peace or reconciliation. It is justice that must be the top priority."

Manu , clothes shop owner

"I love the reds. They will win. Bloody politics is less severe than when the yellow shirts closed the Suvarnabhumi Airport. The economy is not in recession due to the protest. It has declined since Abhisit started ruling the country. Abhisit should dissolve the House and allow new blood [younger people] into politics."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-03-24

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Pointless exercise. There are not enough opinions to know which camp has more support.

Some of the comments show that the 'yellow' supporters probably lack education more than the 'reds', e.g. "Precha Itsaraphan, TOT official

"The protest is for Thaksin only. Most protesters are uneducated about true democracy. Moreover, the government cannot do anything much.""

I like this guy thinking Abhisit is in some way the world global recession.

It declined during PPP's tenure and they missed it happening completelky,

to centered on saving Thaksin, then Abhisit and Korn inherited the mess.

And I wonder where that other guy does his "fact gathering".

Seems he leaves out a few facts too...

Pointless exercise. There are not enough opinions to know which camp has more support.

Not only that, but the editorial team gets to pick which quotes get published. Very easy for the editors to create their own narrative based on their choices.

Some of the comments show that the 'yellow' supporters probably lack education more than the 'reds', e.g. "Precha Itsaraphan, TOT official

"The protest is for Thaksin only. Most protesters are uneducated about true democracy. Moreover, the government cannot do anything much.""

1) What makes him a "yellow supporter"?

2) He was 2/3rd's right. The protest is only for Thaksin. The poor farmers protesting just don't realise that. Most of the protestors don't understand democracy. That goes for most of Bangkokians too.

The government CAN do something. What they won't do is dissolve parliament or let Thaksin off. They are doing something about the poor farmers. It's just that the red propaganda doesn't let the poor farmers know about it.

EDIT: But agree it's a pointless exercise. Why don't they take some opinions off TV. I would mean just as much.

Edited by anotherpeter

One thing is certain, the Red shirts won't learn anything about democracy from the Yellows.

In the long term this government, might be best served to do more (and be seen to be doing more) for the poor. It would seem the only way the Democrats could ever maintain power is through fragile alliances, that leaves a weak inneffective government and half the country crying fowl.

I don't agree that dissolution is the way to resolve the issue, but all sides should be focussed on the elections at the end of 2011, of course the everpresent spectre of Thaksin makes that very difficult.

Good points made.

Economy seems to be the biggest issue. Interesting that it has largely taken 5 years of protests for any of the local news organisations to ask the man in the street or the Joe Somchai actually protesting anything. The guys with the microphones up front have their own TV channels and interviews galore.

We all sit around on here and say that we believe that the poor have been hoodwinked by Thaksin to act to get his money back. Yet no one dares to ask for example 1000 of the protesters what their motivation for being there really is.

Also what is a "TOT Official"? If his salary is paid by TOT, he is an employee isn't he. Snobbery, snobbery, snobbery. Administering something in a government business means you are an "Official". I would love to see his business card.

I thought football matches had "Officials".

I wait for the day to find out that British Telecom has "Officials".

Edited by Thai at Heart

I think after all this stuff in the press about sympathetic support for them last Saturday was really Bangkok residents waving bye-bye.

When they do it again this coming Saturday I think a lot of people will keep their faces turned away from the rabble to avoid being mistaken as supporters.

I think after all this stuff in the press about sympathetic support for them last Saturday was really Bangkok residents waving bye-bye.

When they do it again this coming Saturday I think a lot of people will keep their faces turned away from the rabble to avoid being mistaken as supporters.

You are forgetting how many Bangkokians are imported from Isaan. Ever been there during Songkran or tried to drive to Isaan during that holiday? There are literally millions of people from Isaan in Bangkok. Now not all of them have empathy with the reds, but I bet they have more empathy with them than they may have with middle class Bangkokians.

You are forgetting how many Bangkokians are imported from Isaan. Ever been there during Songkran or tried to drive to Isaan during that holiday? There are literally millions of people from Isaan in Bangkok. Now not all of them have empathy with the reds, but I bet they have more empathy with them than they may have with middle class Bangkokians.

And how come the REDs don't realize that the lond protest is causing problems to Million of ESAN people who are working in Bangkok. They don't seem to care who are hurt by their actions. Maybe the Bangkok people should bring old broken cars to block the streets this Saturday 3/27 before the rally.

And how come the REDs don't realize that the lond protest is causing problems to Million of ESAN people who are working in Bangkok. They don't seem to care who are hurt by their actions. Maybe the Bangkok people should bring old broken cars to block the streets this Saturday 3/27 before the rally.

As I wrote somewhere else, the yellows sat down and took over the main government house for a couple of MONTHS. I don't believe the PAD had to much care for whoever they inconvenienced. As for inconvenience, I remember I missed CSI when the army took over the country and I had to stare at a TV screen with piped music all night. Ain't politics in Thailand a pain in the ass.

What is good for the goose, is good for the gander. As long as it stays peaceful, I actively encourage this type of protest. Seems like they got your attention at least.

1) What makes him a "yellow supporter"?

2) He was 2/3rd's right. The protest is only for Thaksin. The poor farmers protesting just don't realise that. Most of the protestors don't understand democracy. That goes for most of Bangkokians too.

The government CAN do something. What they won't do is dissolve parliament or let Thaksin off. They are doing something about the poor farmers. It's just that the red propaganda doesn't let the poor farmers know about it.

EDIT: But agree it's a pointless exercise. Why don't they take some opinions off TV. I would mean just as much.

Yes Abhisit is trying to do something to help the rurals , but can he get his message across thats another story , why not use same tactics as Thaksin , say huge screen video conferencing in the north east . He shoud bank on the technology .

Anyway no one can do much with the current constitution , Abhisit need some continuity to do what he has in mind , a popular mandate for 4 years would not sound bad . Right now PTP is preventing parliament from functioning , Abhisit coalition may fall anytime .

What a mess ....................

The ‘facts’ aren’t always readily available.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Pacifi...ailand-protests

thanks

At the moment where the temperature is raising few more degrees, everybody should get a look to the link, both parties seem heading to a wanted clash....

It does seem both want a clash

What is not also mentioned is there are lots of people who are totally bored with all the politics and dont particularly like either side. Outside of the poltical arena you can hear a lot of comnments derogatory to all polticians and players regardless of colour.

I like this guy thinking Abhisit is in some way the world global recession.

It declined during PPP's tenure and they missed it happening completelky,

to centered on saving Thaksin, then Abhisit and Korn inherited the mess.

And I wonder where that other guy does his "fact gathering".

Seems he leaves out a few facts too...

About facts: it was a house-wife, not a guy

Sadly it does not matter what most people think.

Both sides have to find a way to get to the negotiating table.

But sadly it seems that the reds care more about the welfare of one person than everybody else (themselves included), and the government will not hold him above the law.

Stability will not follow until one side backs down, on this one and only point.

Sadly it does not matter what most people think.

Both sides have to find a way to get to the negotiating table.

But sadly it seems that the reds care more about the welfare of one person than everybody else (themselves included), and the government will not hold him above the law.

Stability will not follow until one side backs down, on this one and only point.

The Red Shirts are being paid 500 baht a day with a bonus if they win of Taksin paying all their debts(?!) for demonstrating.

-true democracy or just corrupt bribery by the self interested champion of the proleteriat,who was never even remotely lessthan rich and privelidged?

The real truth is....who gives a monkeys.... as Farangs, we can pack up and leave anytime we like... its all just a wee bit of fun for us guys... whoever is Boss.. will Never allow us guys to buy land, and would ya really want to... Another Chang please..!!!