Honest Taxi Drivers

leftcross

after wading my way through the 'dishonest' thread here are a couple of real tales to address the balance.

I got in a taxi near my apartment once (Lumpini) at about 10am to go and meet a GF at Siam square, where she worked.

I only had a 500 baht note in my pocket. Usually I would have a small note but I was in a hurry (spent too long trying to look good:)

We had a bit of chit chat in the car (my Thai is very limited) and when we got to MBK I asked him to yoo ti nee.

He stopped the car and switched the meter off but when I pulled the 500 out he gestured he didnt have change. The driver then jumped out of the car to ask another taxi driver if he had change - he didnt.

The driver got back in and I asked him to find a 7/11 so I could get change while he waited but he drove around the back of MBK into the parking bay bit instead.

He said .. mai pen rai, you pay me next time I see you!

Like that ever happens in Bangkok!

I got out and took a quick glance at his licence plate - it ended in 61 - and then ran into MBK to try and find some change as his car shuffled off in a queue.

There was a cake kind of stall and I asked if they had change but (of course!) they told me I had to buy something....

I bought some doughnut or something, told the girl mai ow, took my change and ran back out of MBK but the taxi was nowhere to be seen.

I ran around the front and the street was gridlocked with about 40 taxis in view.

I started walking alongside the road when i spotted number 61! I jumped over the barrier, moved through the cars and then opened the passenger door.

There was a Chinese-looking couple in the back and they looked terrified, as if I was going to rob them or something.

I handed the driver 100 baht (the fare had been 55 or something) and told him chok dee kap. The guy looked absolutely delighted and it made my day to think he had been prepared to let me go for free.

Another time, a driver missed my turning to work and had to take a massive detour that added 30 baht to the fare. When I got to work he deducted the extra and asked me for what it would have been if we had made the right turn. I gave him the full fare. These are just blue-collar guys trying to make a living. 99.9999 per cent are decent, honest people so let's not blow it out of proportion eh?

Edited by leftcross

Great post to balance the situation up a bit there. :o

I never have many problems with taxi drivers unless in certain areas, then always easy to sort out, never too much hassle, and never ride in one with no meter or the 'stopped' ones outside places where they have to pay the police to park there and tout for customers.

... I handed the driver 100 baht (the fare had been 55 or something) and told him chok dee kap. The guy looked absolutely delighted and it made my day to think he had been prepared to let me go for free  ...

Not only did it make your day but I'm sure it made his day also, and reinforced a positive impression that his trust was not misplaced, you did a great thing going out of your way to pay this guy, Kudo's.mod8(smoking%20pipe)a.gif

My last dayin BKK was Sunday 15th May. I needed to get from my hotel to the airport which is only about a 10 minute drive. I had a load of luggage.

I called a taxi driver that I had used twice in the past 5 months and asked him to come and pick me up at a set time...... of copurse he was late but took the time to call me and tell me that he was on his way.

He lugged a huuge Samsonite into the backk seat and two other bags into the boot and off we went. We chatted litle on the way as I was a bit preoccupied with thoughts about leaving Thailand but did mention that I was leaving and would not be returning in the short term future.

Anyway, coming up the ramp to International departures I started to get some money out and looked at the meter..... it wasn't on.

I said..... no meter?..... his reply was "that's because today you no pay" "you go England no come back...ok, today you no pay"

I had a battle to give him a 100 baht ending up saying "this is not for the taxi, this is for you to drink beer for me tonight"

I'll never say anything bad again about BKK taxi drivers.

Me and the wife got a taxi not so long ago in Bangkok. Turns out he was a policeman. Had his Police Cap on the back shelf, and radio on the front seat...

He was doing Taxi Work as a second job so he could save up money to go and visit his girlfriend who was studying in the UK....

Anyway.... my wife and he got chatting, involving me sometimes practising his english, but mainly manged to give my wife some very helpful advice regarding a problem somone in her family was having...

He also gave advice regarding marriage and having a "farang surname".... putting my wife at ease (which was very helpful for me).... she was worried about the whole "being able to own land but married to a farang" thing, having someone like a policeman explain it too her was just what she needed. (it's not that she didn't believe me, but she was still worried).

He also gave us good hotel advice, found us an excellent hotel near where we wanted to stay... in short he was very very helpful. ( no... he wasn't on commision.)

When we had left the taxi, my wife remarked that he was exceptionally polite and she had enjoyed her conversation with him.

It's nice to share stories about the nice guys... :o

totster :D

Really glad this thread has been started.

My wife and I met a taxi driver on a trip from DM to the city, called "John" who has since become a friend of the family.

Not only did he return a dropped purse with over 20,000 baht to us, but we now have his mobile number and call him whenever we are in BKK to drive us around, which he does for hours on end for only 500 baht.

We always stay in a hotel in BKK and whenever we get up "John" is always waiting outside for us. He always collects us from the airport and delivers us when we have to return. He's been my unpaid (money wise) tourist guide on many occasions.

Last year he drove us from BKK to our place in the North - about 9 hours driving - for 2000 baht, a bed for the night and a box of mangoes.

On top of all that we have some great conversations in the car.

We don't care he if he uses the same strategy with every farang he meets. We feel special and "John" is happy.

A perfect arraignment.

My wife and I met a taxi driver on a trip from DM to the city, called "John"

Where is this city called "John"? :o:D

ok.. I saw the apostrophy. I Really have never had a problem with taxi drivers in BKK. One time I was trying to get back to my hotel on Silom and my Thai language skills were terrible so the only landmark I could think of was Pat Pong. The driver seemed confused so I said it everywhich way I could in all five tones. I thought he was trying to rip me off until he stopped at a hotel and had me explain to the doorman where I wanted to go. The two chatted and then the driver said, "oh, Pat Pong!". I was in tears at this. We finally got to my hotel and he discounted the fare by half. All in all I had a great tour of the city abet long and I got a good laugh on top.

all of you guys got a good experience with taxi drivers, for me ofcourse i got a very good one sometimes and the bad one as well. in this world "even the prisoner who commit a terrible crime, he still something good in his heart" human are actually like that. :o

Not only did he return a dropped purse with over 20,000 baht to us, but we now have his mobile number and call him whenever we are in BKK to drive us around, which he does for hours on end for only 500 baht.

We always stay in a hotel in BKK and whenever we get up "John" is always waiting outside for us.

:D He returns 20,000 baht and you show gratitude by having him on call and paying 500 baht for driving 'hours on end'?

Last year he drove us from BKK to our place in the North - about 9 hours driving - for 2000 baht, a bed for the night and a box of mangoes.

A good rate to pattaya or hua hin would be arguably 1500 baht in a taxi, a two hour or so drive. He must've really liked the conversation or the mangoes (I'm guessing the mangoes) :D

He's been my unpaid (money wise) tourist guide on many occasions.

A perfect arraignment.

Perfect for whom exactly? :o

Anyways, took a taxi in Bkk a while back and after about 20 mins of arriving home, realised my mobile was missing. Just then, a knock at the door and it's the taxi driver who was holding out my phone. Suffice to say, he got a great tip and my gratitude.

Also, recently in Phuket, got into the local version of a tuktuk and went about a quarter the distance to the place I was going when I was hailed by a friend. So I got out and offered him full agreed fair. He just smiled and said since we didn't go far at all, no charge. As I held out the money, he just smiled, waved and drove off.

Edited by bahtandsold

We always stay in a hotel in BKK and whenever we get up "John" is always waiting outside for us.

:D He returns 20,000 baht and you show gratitude by having him on call and paying 500 baht for driving 'hours on end'?

A good rate to pattaya or hua hin would be arguably 1500 baht in a taxi, a two hour or so drive. He must've really liked the conversation or the mangoes (I'm guessing the mangoes) :D

He's been my unpaid (money wise) tourist guide on many occasions.

A perfect arraignment.

Perfect for whom exactly? :o

Anyways, took a taxi in Bkk a while back and after about 20 mins of arriving home, realised my mobile was missing. Just then, a knock at the door and it's the taxi driver who was holding out my phone. Suffice to say, he got a great tip and my gratitude.

Also, recently in Phuket, got into the local version of a tuktuk and went about a quarter the distance to the place I was going when I was hailed by a friend. So I got out and offered him full agreed fair. He just smiled and said since we didn't go far at all, no charge. As I held out the money, he just smiled, waved and drove off.

Oh dear, Bahtandsold, I must have pissed in your backyard too many times.

Phrases like "friend of the family" actually mean something. Some of the implications are:

* eating with us at our expense

* sharing food, drink and cigarettes (I smoked when we first met) on the long journeys

* giving him free accommodation evening meal etc. after the long trip

* coming to the cinema with us

* buying presents for his kids and his wife etc. etc.

But the posting was not about what we have done, it was about what "John" has done for us.

He didn't drive us to Pattaya or Hua Hin (I wrote North - you ought to check your geography), and 9 hours in considerably longer than a two hour lunchtime trip to Pattaya (we live closer to Chang Mai than Pattaya is to BKK).

I suggest you spend less time criticising others and little more time thinking about something original to say.

Maybe the karma generated will make you meet more nice taxi drivers. :D

Me and the missus go from On Nut to Soi Lasselle very week for me toplay football. One week we got a taxi driver who was forever going to Pattaya each week. Him and thye missus chattedaway. He tol her if weeverwant to got Pattaya just to call him. Twice a year i have to go down there for football. So he said 1000 baht.Nice and cheap. So when wecalled him and said wewanted to goto Pattaya the following week.He once again said 1000 baht. My wife told him. Can you come to Bang Sue(i had a meeting at work) He said no problem but i'm sorry you have to pay a little more. You get good ones and you get bad ones. Just luck i guess. We asked him if he was gonna stay down there and we could take him back next day.He said if no fare back then yes. What if you get fare, will you come back for us? No problem. So he did come back. So we gave him 3000baht all up return journey. Still got his number. If we ever have to go down again. I'll use him. Good honest hard working guy.

I mentioned this somewhere else once, but here is my taxi story. Came home late one night to our pitch dark Soi. I don't carry a wallet, just stuff bills in my pocket. Bad habit-I know. No conversation with this guy at all. I get out pay him and turn away to open the gate. He says something and I turn back for find him handing me several thousand baht that had fallen in his cab. I never would have known if he had just driven away.

Like someone else here, I would say most cab drivers are good people. Unfortunately there is a significant minority who tarnish their reputation. My biggest gripe is taxi drivers who seem to have bowel problems. I can think of at least three rides that just reeked. I now take a sniff whenever I open the door, which allowed be to avoid stinky ride number 3.

When I first saw the 'anti-taxi' thread, I too pondered starting a 'pro taxi' thread and procrastinated. In any event, I mused that if there was one, &, eh, knowing (gulp) human nature, it would be much shorter than the 'rant' thread. Lo and behold... once again, too many are quick to complain and slow to voice praise. Regrettably: myself included!

1) TGF + me were waiting for the airport bus at about 9.30pm on Sukh. About 50 minutes had passed & there was to be no sight nor sign of same. A taxi pulls up and asks 'where we go?'. We say 'no want taxi', but he persists, and we admit that we were bound for the airport. He says that as his shift is over and he's driving home (towards the airport) he's happy to take us for the same fare as the airport bus: 150 baht.

Admittedly, I am not just a cynic (150 baht for 2 persons, by taxi, from sukhumvit ---> Airport: yeah right!?), and naturally suspect... the worst; but tgf expertly sense's his 'jaideeness' so I defer to her intuition (...as always: best never to argue with a Thai's heartfelt intuition) & we hop aboard.

Result?:

We arrive safely and surely at the airport. Taxi driver is most highly pleased that I offered him 150 baht + 50 baht tip (yes yes, much above the call of duty, for the said jaideeness!)

2) About 10 days before the above, TGF + me wished to get from one part of BKK to another. Alas, we were not alone in our quest. The rain started pouring.

Taxi picks us up and we spend the best part of 90 minutes doing a journey which ordinarily would take 20 minutes. During the journey's course, taxi driver endeavours to take a short cut which backfires. On reaching our destination, TGF asks taxi driver if he wouldn't mind taking a discount on the meter's toll (he brought us well off track, leading eventually into a dead end during our journey and took some time to backtrack). Without as much as a quibble he immediately said 'ha sip percent' (50%). All parties happy.

3) Anyone who thinks that Bangkok taxi's are bad might refresh his judgement upon returning from Manila for a little spell. :o But I'll spare you of my off-topic stories.

4) Cherm (Midnight my Love): mostly compelling & recent film about a good natured Bangkok taxi driver's mostly lonely life. Recommended viewing. & it's still screening...

Edited by Serendipitist

You know, I used to drive a taxi myself. I reckon this gives me a little different perspective when taking taxis...

Anyway, I've done some of the things in this thread- returning several hundred dollars shoved to me by a woman who was too drunk to see (which was returned to me by not even getting my full fare... I'm sure she was happy in the morning, anyway)

re: the 150 THB airport fare - the guy was on his way back home and something is better than nothing. It is a nice thing to do, but the guy probably does it every night because it makes a lot of sense for him to get paid (eve at reduced rate) for a trip he was going to make anyway. (I've done that, too)

I tried to do at least one favor to good nature a week - giving someone a free fare or helping someone who seemed like they were having bad day.

Heres another interesting bit - its the length of time more than the length of the trip that makes the biggest difference to how much a cabbie makes in a night - assuming the night isn't completely dead. I know enough to know that the meter for waiting time out here nowhere near makes up for what you could make if you just arrived and could pick someone else up.