Lamb

Hey people,

Don't your Thai friends run a mile when they smell the lamb cookin'?

My wife can't stand the smell of it :D and refuses to eat/cook it. Even though, our Greek relatives cooked some lamb kababs on a BBQ and she loved 'em but no one told her it was lamb :o

Cheers, BaanOzzz

• 4 years later...

nothing better than reviving and old thread.

has anyone had any luck with a reliable supply of lamb? I searched marco, big c and tesco in suratthani and just cant find any lamb here

I am keen to introduce it to my partners family and friends as they have never had lamb. Thinking of some roasted lamb racks.

I am even thinking of importing my own lamb from Junee australia, just a little lost in the export rules for cryovac meat products.

I roasted a leg today, and it was delicious.  It wasn't local, though.  It was Australian, which I bought in the US and carried it here with me on the plane.  So that well-traveled leg went across the Pacific twice!

Villa market carries frozen legs, though. I will give them a try next time I want lamb.

I roasted a leg today, and it was delicious.  It wasn't local, though.  It was Australian, which I bought in the US and carried it here with me on the plane.  So that well-traveled leg went across the Pacific twice!

Villa market carries frozen legs, though. I will give them a try next time I want lamb.

You were allowed to carry meat through customs? I thought that there are restrictions on such things.

Either way I am very envious as I have not had Lamb for some time, did you have mint sauce with it?

Edited by Moonrakers

You were allowed to carry meat through customs? I thought that there are restrictions on such things.

Either way I am very envious as I have not had Lamb for some time, did you have mint sauce with it?

I bring probably 40 pounds of meat on each trip, all in a freezer bag with cool packs in it.  This time, they even x-rayed it as I was passing through customs, and I have never had a problem.  They open the pack every time in the US after I check it in, but in Thailand, it just passes through.

I used a white wine citrus sauce to put over it while cooking, and inserted garlic and rosemary into the meat itself. No mint. I also made some balsamic and white wine mixed mushrooms, and tomorrow, I will get a baguette at St. Etoile for lamb and mushroom sandwiches with the leftovers.

I used a white wine citrus sauce to put over it while cooking, and inserted garlic and rosemary into the meat itself. No mint. I also made some balsamic and white wine mixed mushrooms, and tomorrow, I will get a baguette at St. Etoile for lamb and mushroom sandwiches with the leftovers.

stop it immediately! i'm on a diet and saliva keeps running out of my mouth. :)

I live in the north and there is a Muslim butcher nearby selling lamb for 250 baht/kg. The catch is that you have to buy the whole butchered beast, which he estimates to be 10-11kg. I continue to get my Aus or NZ lamb legs and rolled shoulders from Makro at 290-300 baht/kg.

luckily, i get my lamb fix when i travel back to NZ annually.

mostly its with mint sauce, and with all the usual sunday roast trimmings, peas, carrots, english pudding, roast potatoes

mmmmm, im getting hungry :)

English Pudding??? Hahaha.

Is that similar to Yorkshire pudding? Or is it a suet pudding.

You Kiwis are funny

luckily, i get my lamb fix when i travel back to NZ annually.

mostly its with mint sauce, and with all the usual sunday roast trimmings, peas, carrots, english pudding, roast potatoes

mmmmm, im getting hungry :)

English Pudding??? Hahaha.

Is that similar to Yorkshire pudding? Or is it a suet pudding.

You Kiwis are funny

Yorkshires in England isnt it? hehe :D i did mean Yorkshire but forgot the name

Is the previous poster sure about Makro not having lamb? I have seen legs of NZ lamb in the freezers in Roi Et, but haven't bought any for about a year. I noticed that Makro seemed to stop selling the British--style 'fat boy' frozen sausages. Don't say they have also discontinued the lamb!

I get the feeling that similar to the beef, Thai lamb is not the best for eating. I know a farm, but I think they focus on wool, not butchery. It's in Ratchaburi, about 2.5 hours from Bangkok, a little area called Suan Peung near the border. There is a resort called The Scenery, and they have a sheep farm there. They have lamb at their restaurant, but it's NZ lamb.

I live in the north and there is a Muslim butcher nearby selling lamb for 250 baht/kg. The catch is that you have to buy the whole butchered beast, which he estimates to be 10-11kg. I continue to get my Aus or NZ lamb legs and rolled shoulders from Makro at 290-300 baht/kg.

Is it good? I'm very tempted, been far too long since I had a lamb roast.

Just chewing the final leftover slice of last night's NZ lamb roast...660 baht for a boneless roast of almost 2 kgs at Villa Supermarket. Served with roast veg and mint sauce from our local Tops (a recent addition to their shelves). It was very yummy :) .

• 2 months later...
Our Home in Thailand is on the 2022, about 6 km before Ampher Phen.

I love Lamb :D  (Please no Welsh jokes) and if there was a heard of sheep any where within Eating distance I would have been there with my knife and fork.

If you find evidence of lamb in the area please let me know, my wife does a lovely Sunday dinner. :)

edd

I love lamb massaman. It's not the same with chicken.

Of courss it isn't because then it would be chicken massaman.

• 3 months later...

I love Lamb :D (Please no Welsh jokes) and if there was a heard of sheep any where within Eating distance I would have been there with my knife and fork.

If you find evidence of lamb in the area please let me know, my wife does a lovely Sunday dinner. :o

edd

Ok....yes old thread....but I had the help of some Thai friends to get to the bottom of this....but as an Australian - I love my lamb:

1. Makro has Australian/NZ AND Thai Lamb - BUT the Thai lamb is in a separate section - usually in the same freezer as Thai Goat. It has a label on the sealed plastic bag with a drawing which you could easily confuse a a goat - but in fact its sheep (which you wont know until u see the drawing on the goat meat label...then you will know) + its labelled with the word lamb! I think the nongs just throw it all in the same freezer due to the label - the lamb and the goat label really look almost the same....BUT they will never put the Thai lamb in the same freezer as the imported stuff - as the sale of the imported will earn much better returns.

2. BUT there is generally not much lamb anytime I have gone - maybe only one bag or two. I have bought a shoulder, a leg and a funny piece that had a leg and part of the body attached .

3. First time I bought I got the leg - not much fat and out of the bag the meat smelled really strong - no wonder Khon Thai's hate the smell! BUT I found out that the smell is mosty about eating Cryo meat. The safe and easy way to minimise the smell - is to cover the meat in milk! Yes milk - its safer than making a brine (as that can be too salty)....and does not change the flavour. I soaked it over night - but I think maybe 3 or 4 hours would have been fine (I threw away the meat pink coloured milk).

I made one mistake the first roast of the Thai lamb - I cooked it too fast - and it came out quite tough. BUT like any lamb - it was great cold in a sandwhich!

The next time I cooked it over a much longer time and it was delicious (I now debone, 'milk it', dry, stuff with herbs, roll and tie and slow slow slow roast).

NOTE:

a) the Thai lamb is tiny - being a past farmer - I doubt the entire carcase could have weighed 10kg! I think it was really young when slaughtered - plus whoever butchered it was not a butcher!

B) I spent a while in NZ and dont like the lamb from there much - its much milder then Australian lamb....but when I sampled cyro Aus + NZ + Thai lamb - I found that they all smelled (which is why I blame the bag - not the lamb - but the Thai lamb was noticeably much stronger in smell)

4. Finally, the Thai lamb from Makro was between 150 and 250 baht a KG - whereas the NZ and Aus lamb was 300+ per KG. I would therefore recommend trying the Thai Lamb - just that you have to find it first

Good luck and good eating :)

The Aussie supermarket on the way to Jomtien sells chilled imported,as opposed to frozen,its expensive but the taste is great.

Surprised they don't sell mint sauce.

Where exactly is the Aussie supermkt?

Yes, good frozen lamb at FOODMART, corner or Thappray & Thepprasit Rds., Jomtien. Not really expensive...

The Aussie supermarket on the way to Jomtien sells chilled imported,as opposed to frozen,its expensive but the taste is great.

Surprised they don't sell mint sauce.

Where exactly is the Aussie supermkt?

Yes, good frozen lamb at FOODMART, corner or Thappray & Thepprasit Rds., Jomtien. Not really expensive...

You are lucky living in Pattaya/Jomtien as you have Wayne at Western Foods for lamb - he is a butcher and knows his meat - far better than buying from a grocery shop who does not know the difference between the meats/cuts

I love Lamb :D (Please no Welsh jokes) and if there was a heard of sheep any where within Eating distance I would have been there with my knife and fork.

If you find evidence of lamb in the area please let me know, my wife does a lovely Sunday dinner. :o

edd

Ok....yes old thread....but I had the help of some Thai friends to get to the bottom of this....but as an Australian - I love my lamb:

1. Makro has Australian/NZ AND Thai Lamb - BUT the Thai lamb is in a separate section - usually in the same freezer as Thai Goat. It has a label on the sealed plastic bag with a drawing which you could easily confuse a a goat - but in fact its sheep (which you wont know until u see the drawing on the goat meat label...then you will know) + its labelled with the word lamb! I think the nongs just throw it all in the same freezer due to the label - the lamb and the goat label really look almost the same....BUT they will never put the Thai lamb in the same freezer as the imported stuff - as the sale of the imported will earn much better returns.

2. BUT there is generally not much lamb anytime I have gone - maybe only one bag or two. I have bought a shoulder, a leg and a funny piece that had a leg and part of the body attached .

3. First time I bought I got the leg - not much fat and out of the bag the meat smelled really strong - no wonder Khon Thai's hate the smell! BUT I found out that the smell is mosty about eating Cryo meat. The safe and easy way to minimise the smell - is to cover the meat in milk! Yes milk - its safer than making a brine (as that can be too salty)....and does not change the flavour. I soaked it over night - but I think maybe 3 or 4 hours would have been fine (I threw away the meat pink coloured milk).

I made one mistake the first roast of the Thai lamb - I cooked it too fast - and it came out quite tough. BUT like any lamb - it was great cold in a sandwhich!

The next time I cooked it over a much longer time and it was delicious (I now debone, 'milk it', dry, stuff with herbs, roll and tie and slow slow slow roast).

NOTE:

a) the Thai lamb is tiny - being a past farmer - I doubt the entire carcase could have weighed 10kg! I think it was really young when slaughtered - plus whoever butchered it was not a butcher!

B) I spent a while in NZ and dont like the lamb from there much - its much milder then Australian lamb....but when I sampled cyro Aus + NZ + Thai lamb - I found that they all smelled (which is why I blame the bag - not the lamb - but the Thai lamb was noticeably much stronger in smell)

4. Finally, the Thai lamb from Makro was between 150 and 250 baht a KG - whereas the NZ and Aus lamb was 300+ per KG. I would therefore recommend trying the Thai Lamb - just that you have to find it first

The only time I bought Thai Lamb, it was like a Thai village chicken -all bone and very little meat!

And as an aside I find Makro stock very little of anything. Buy a couple of bags of most things and you buy their entire stock (and that is if they have the product in the first place)

Big C stock NZ lamb - dearer than Makro.

edd

NOTE:

The only time I bought Thai Lamb, it was like a Thai village chicken -all bone and very little meat!

And as an aside I find Makro stock very little of anything. Buy a couple of bags of most things and you buy their entire stock (and that is if they have the product in the first place)

Big C stock NZ lamb - dearer than Makro.

555 pretty close to my experience too - except that I have found lamb from Makro at least to be edible, not expensive, and as good as any when slow cooked. Never had a problem either with re-stocking, but there was, as you suggest, not much Thai lamb to buy either. In a way I dont blame Makro - Thai people simply dont much like lamb. Sure Thai lamb seems to come from micro sized sheep - but thats ok - at least it fits in the roasting pan easily :)....the real problem is that there is little or no fat - and lean meat is much harder to cook without making it damned tough and inedible!

I also know have found that Thai supermarkets seem to like to mix it up a bit - and change product locations from time to time - then the staff nor the customer can find the new location unless they trip over it. MIND you, this behaviour is not unique to Thailand....one of the latest trends worldwide in supermarkets and other retail stores is to stock the most popular sellers at the back of the store and to move that location frequently....the idea being that shoppers will go hunting for the new location and make some additional impulse purchases (just observe for example, in Australia how many times stores change the location of bread)

>>>>> pretty close to my experience too - except that I have found lamb from Makro at least to be edible, not expensive, and as good as any when slow

>>>>> cooked. Never had a problem either with re-stocking, but there was, as you suggest, not much Thai lamb to buy either. In a way I dont blame

>>>>> Makro - Thai people simply dont much like lamb. Sure Thai lamb seems to come from micro sized sheep - but thats ok - at least it fits in the

>>>>> roasting pan easily :)....the real problem is that there is little or no fat - and lean meat is much harder to cook without making it damned

>>>>> tough and inedible!

Two things come to mind. The first is that a slow cooker is your best friend in the kitchen. I'd rather do away with the microwave than my slow cooker. Secondly, is it possible that at least some of the micro sized /thai-chicken lots of bone no meat etc lamb is actually goat? The taste can be very similar in my experience.

Just a thought. And you can do wonders with a goat in a slow cooker.

I get my Lamb from Foodland, around 3-400 Baht for a large shoulder. Love the stuff, get a bit sick and tired of the local pork/chicken/beef.

You can aso buy legs and shoulders of lamb in Makro Stores (Again NZ Lamb)

The lamb in Makro is tough and does not seem as good as other places even though it may be cheaper

I get my Lamb from Foodland, around 3-400 Baht for a large shoulder. Love the stuff, get a bit sick and tired of the local pork/chicken/beef.

You can aso buy legs and shoulders of lamb in Makro Stores (Again NZ Lamb)

The lamb in Makro is tough and does not seem as good as other places even though it may be cheaper

A trick we used in Australia when cooking Thai buffalo as it has a very low fat content and dries out and can get tough is draw a string covered in lard through the meat so the fat can cook it without drying the meat out, the Thai lamb doesn't see the winters Australia has and doesn't get the chance to get much fat one butcher told me, they gave up trying to produce lamb here.

• 1 month later...