Affidavit For Marriage

irakthai

My long-term girlfriend and I are planning to get married in a civil service at the Amphur next month (the Buddhist ceremony has to wait for an auspicious date). As I understand it I am required to provide a certified translation of an affidavit from my Embassy stating that I am currently not married. Does anyone know from experience how long it takes to get such an affidavit from the Australian Embassy?

Go to the Aust Embassy and get an affirmation of elegibility to marry. This will cost you abouy 6000bht. This document must then be translated into Thai, and then the original and translation must be taken to the Dept. of Foriegn Affairs. Some translation agencies will arrange all this, so all you have to do is preent yourself to the Embassy. Takes about 24hours.

I had looked at the Australian Embassy web site but had missed that page. Thanks for the heads up.

The web site states that a pro-forma statutory declaration must be witnessed at the Embassy. Does anyone know if the Australian Embassy has the necessary forms for making a statutory declaration? Could I say, produce a stat dec at home and pay my $20 to get it witnessed at the Embassy?

As you enter the room at the embassy there is a table on the right with blank stat dec forms. Fill in the blanks.

Make sure you have your intended wife's I.D. number as it's needed on the form. You'll need the names and addresses of 2 Oz references too.

You need to take a queue ticket from the machine just inside the room. They will call you to the window, you hand over the completed form, pay (it was 690 Baht cash last October) and the lady will go out the back for a few minutes returning with the stamped stat dec and a receipt.

The whole process takes about 10 minutes if there's no queue.

Edited to add, I've had good experiences with a translation office close to the embassy. As you leave the embassy turn left towards the petrol station, at that corner turn left and walk maybe 70 metres. ABC translation is on your right up a flight of stairs. Apart from translating your stat dec they also offer a service to have it certified at the MFA.

Edited by Farma

Then you take the completed and notarised form from your consulate/embassy to a registered translation service.

They translate and send to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok where the original and translation are stamped on the back.

The translation service will charge anywhere between 3,000 to 30,000 for the translation and ministry approval.

(Depending on how daft you look)

Only pay a small deposit, you pay the rest when the finished documentation is put in your hand.

Takes about 1 week to get the paperwork back and in your hand.

Funny story

My pal decided to get married to a Thai lady, His lady arranged all the documentation and arranged the translation and stamping with a friend from the same church as her for a special price ....... 30,000bht. My gf went out to find a person to do the translation and stamping for us and negotiated a special price for me ...... 5,000bht. I demanded the phone (she was in town with the guy at the time and I was at home) and did some furious haggling, 2,500bht for the job with 1,000bht up front and the rest on delivery of the documents. So there we all were sitting having a coffee one morning a week later and the phone call came, 'documents ready, I bring to coffee shop, you pay money'. When the translator enters the shop my pal exclaims, 'that's the same guy doing my translation for 30,000bht and yours for 2,500bht !!!!!!

I was happy with the price I negotiated, he wasn't happy with the price his bride-to-be negotiated.

A very wise old ex-pat said to me, never let your lady negotiate for anything, your money so you do the deal.

I always heed his advice, many men think their lady will get them a better price, this does not appear to always be the case (for a number of cultural reasons).

Edited by sarahsbloke

Then you take the completed and notarised form from your consulate/embassy to a registered translation service.

They translate and send to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok where the original and translation are stamped on the back.

The translation service will charge anywhere between 3,000 to 30,000 for the translation and ministry approval.

Only pay a small deposit, you pay the rest when the finished documentation is put in your hand.

A translation should not cost more than around 400 baht, the legalisation itself is about 800 baht.

(Depending on how daft you look)

Funny story

My pal decided to get married to a Thai lady, His lady arranged all the documentation and arranged the translation and stamping with a friend from the same church as her for a special price ....... 30,000bht. My gf went out to find a person to do the translation and stamping for us and negotiated a special price for me ...... 5,000bht. I demanded the phone (she was in town with the guy at the time and I was at home) and did some furious haggling, 2,500bht for the job with 1,000bht up front and the rest on delivery of the documents. So there we all were sitting having a coffee one morning a week later and the phone call came, 'documents ready, I bring to coffee shop, you pay money'. When the translator enters the shop my pal exclaims, 'that's the same guy doing my translation for 30,000bht and yours for 2,500bht !!!!!!

I was happy with the price I negotiated, he wasn't happy with the price his bride-to-be negotiated.

A very wise old ex-pat said to me, never let your lady negotiate for anything, your money so you do the deal.

I always heed his advice, many men think their lady will get them a better price, this does not appear to always be the case (for a number of cultural reasons).

LOL you paid how much?

A farang I mean fool and his money are soon parted.

A translation should not cost more than around 400 baht, the legalisation itself is about 800 baht.

Agreed...

I couple of months back this is the process I undertook.

1) Applied for a letter of Freedom to marry from my Embassy

2) Collected the letter (following day)

3) Drove out to Chaeng Wattana Rd to the Ministry of Foreign affairs.

4) For B400 I had the letter translated - (a guy took the letter offsite and came back 30mins later with the translation)

5) In the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (Thai Consular Affairs) - 3rd floor, tell them you want this processed in one day.

Same day processing costs B800 and takes about 2 hrs.

Those paying more than B2000 are getting Ripped off - I figure B800 is ok for the convenience of not having to do it yourself....

Edited by richard_smith237

• 2 months later...
1) Applied for a letter of Freedom to marry from Embassy
does anybody know how long it take for the affidavit at the US Consulate, same day or next day?
For B400 I had the letter translated - (a guy took the letter offsite and came back 30mins later with the translation)
is there a translator at the Ministry of Foreign affairs? Edited by chowder