Two More Blasts Hit Thailand Amid Protests

george

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My wife is Thai and we talked over dinner tonight and we definately disagree on the RED/YELLOW situation. She likes Thaksin because she thinks he is a good businessman and that while he was PM crop prices were high which are good for the farmers. Now that they are low, she and her family blame Abhisit. I tried to explain the cycle of the world economy, the influence America has on consumption and trade and the overall concept that if you just wait a bit, the Thai economy will turn just like it will turn in every other democratic country in the world. Using her logic, we should re-elect Clinton as President since she blames GW Bush for the UD economic problems. She did not get it and continues to think Thaksin willl solve all of Thai problems.

She said that some of the red leaders in her area have been paid huge sums of money to ralley supporters who are in turn paid to march, demonstrate and probably throw bombs. Some she said have been paid 15,000,000 Baht with lesser amounts going to lower ranking supporters. When I tossed out the notion that if that were successful then the leader of Thailand would be the guy with the most money not necessarily the guy that will best serve the country. And following that, this man would be in power again to criminally get his money back at the expense of the country, trade, exports, good roads, free education and th like. Sorry, because crops are high 'due to Thaksin, we need him back to make crops high again'.

She also said Thai Baht is strong now for some reason and Thaksin would make it stronger. My last attempt to show how the US Dollar has weakened and thereby caused all currencies to become stronger by comparison but she thinks this is due to something Thailand has done itself. I tried to explain how and why the USD has fallen, why 65 banks have failed so far, why so many houses on in foreclosure and the commercial market is just beginning to fail and these concepts are beyond her understanding.

This lack of a broader view of things shows how one guy can play off this ignorance, tell the farmers he will make the grass grow, the rains fall, the crop values go us and 'we'll all live a better life' so here is 500 baht so you can go to Bangkok and help get me back in power so I can help you!!

Maybe she is dumber than the rest

Probably about the same. Most of the rest haven't had all this explained to them, so we don't know if they are dumb or just brainwashed.

If you want some unbiased information you should not only look to state and army owned channels but also have a look at People’s Television (channel 4 on Sophon; channel 20 on TMN).

Unbiased? :)

My Thai wife is going to rally in Bangkok next weekend.

She is NOT paid for it and she bought her polo-shirt and heart-shaped rattle from her own money.

For those who cannot read: SHE IS NOT PAID FOR IT.

Although I disagree with the red shirt movement I hope your wife has a good time.

But on the point of receiving money, I would personally have told her to take it! Whether she truly supports the cause or not. Others get the money so why shouldn't she. I have always advised Thai friends whom asked me about this. If someone gives you money for these kinda things, always take it whether you support them/vote for them or not. And after that just do what you want anyway. You just need to be practical. A give away is a give away.

W

She is NOT paid for it and she bought her polo-shirt and heart-shaped rattle from her own money.

Cool! so now we know that ONE person attending isn't paid directly!

My wife is short (1.44 m), but brave.

She says Mr. A. is a coward who evaded military service and is now hiding behind the military.

I think this also applies to some former American presidents.

And what she thinks about Taksin? Thats the Thai Robin Hood?

The reason I'm interested is because I've asked my travel agent to cancel my Chiang Mai airline reservations. She says China Airlines will charge me a $200 cancellation penalty. —ouch for this retired vet.

No need to cancel your flight, you will be fine.

Cool! so now we know that ONE person attending isn't paid directly!

She says Mr. A. is a coward who evaded military service and is now hiding behind the military.

My wife is shorter (1.41 m) and also brave.

She says Mr T is a corrupt AH who has lined his pockets at the expense of Thai people. But she came to BKK from Issan, got a job in a hosptial and put herself thru Uni , so I guess that makes her one of those middle class elite.

Not sure about the US president issue but happy to go along with this assertion.

Unless there are any further offers tharae appears to have the shortest wife who is also brave.

Well done tharae and better luck next time Dick.

Although I disagree with the red shirt movement I hope your wife has a good time.

But on the point of receiving money, I would personally have told her to take it! Whether she truly supports the cause or not. Others get the money so why shouldn't she. I have always advised Thai friends whom asked me about this. If someone gives you money for these kinda things, always take it whether you support them/vote for them or not. And after that just do what you want anyway. You just need to be practical. A give away is a give away.

W

I can't agree. People either have ethics or they lack them.

The poor in Thailand DO deserve a voice (and are getting better and more sustainable benefits under the Democrats than they ever did under TRT/PPP), but until they get rid of the Thaksin baggage they will remain just a discredited rabble.

Bit condescending to refer to the poor as "discredited rabble" jd mate. Not all of them are flying a red flag outside their homes.

dick farang

so what are you saying about your thai wife....?

she is going to bkk rally next wkend.... ?

did you see the real red shirt and red heart ladies.... having their heads shaved-balled to the skull....?

DID YOU SEE THE NEWS TODAY AT 4:00 PM BKK TIME.... thousands of redshirts piling on pickups heading north....

they said they are going home to see their families and members.... there at least they can eat regularly....

AND redshirts coming from the north to replace the redshirt deserters.... according to roadside observers.... are only numbered in several hundreds at best....

IF YOUR WIFE IS NOT RECEIVING ANY RENUMERATION one way or the other.... i'd say.... you and your wife are very much short changed.... :)

if i were you.... i won't be too proud to boast about her devotion to a collective bodies of some 100,000 boasting to represent the 60,000,000 thai people....

perhaps, you already firgured it out that the ratio of redshirt and its supporters is.... dramatically disporportionate.... 1 to 600 meaning....

where there is 1 redshirt.... there... there are 600 non-red....

perhaps you can ask your lovely thai wife to also wear a yellow ribbon around her hair.... i for one would love to spot her in the front row.... to cheer her on....

well, come to think of it.... if she really wants to show her loyalty to the redshirts who champion for tuksin.... and have her head shaved....

then she won't be able to wear a yellow ribbon on her head....

at any rate.... if it is you and yours desire to represent a convicted male escapee named tuksin....

you folks surely have the same democratic rights to do whatever you please....

just make sure that whatever your wife does would not infringe upon your neighbors' democratic rights either.... K?

the 4:30 news stated that there are now about 190 groups of private citizen expressed themselves in written declaration that....

if the redshirts continue to disrupt their business places.... disrupting their customers' conveniences.... disrupting their children's schools and education....

they will.... get this.... they will take to the street to stop redshirts' aggression on their own, even without govt, police nor military assistance....

it seems like.... the very silent and patient larger part of citizentry in bangkok has finally spoken out loud.... not for the redshirts as most core leaders would hope to hear....

we hope there is still time for all concerned parties to negotiate for a graceful face-saving retreat.... but thai politics will never be the same from now onwards....

dick, you really should ask your wife to wait a week or two.... or to wait til after saturday, the 27.... to travel to bkk to join the redshirts' victory march.... if any....?

i'll also be in bkk.... on the sunday, the 28.... to observe the obvious....

So much hate.

Are you by any chance a Brit suffering postcolonial nostalgia ?

She says Mr T is a corrupt AH who has lined his pockets at the expense of Thai people. But she came to BKK from Issan, got a job in a hosptial and put herself thru Uni , so I guess that makes her one of those middle class elite.

Not sure about the US president issue but happy to go along with this assertion.

Unless there are any further offers tharae appears to have the shortest wife who is also brave.

I forgot to mention she is also the most beautiful woman (inside and out) I have ever met. She is now rolling around the floor p*ssing herself laughing.

The poor in Thailand DO deserve a voice (and are getting better and more sustainable benefits under the Democrats than they ever did under TRT/PPP), but until they get rid of the Thaksin baggage they will remain just a discredited rabble.

Bit condescending to refer to the poor as "discredited rabble" jd mate. Not all of them are flying a red flag outside their homes.

True -- and not meant that way. I was thinking strictly of the Reds. Poor wording on my part but since the poor seem to THINK that the reds represent them (most observers would disagree!) they are discredited by the reds even if they aren't red themselves.

And with the siege he meant the siege of the yellow shirts led by the current minister of foreign affairs where the yellows cut the power and had a home made explosive that was later turned into a tear gas canister? Or is Abhisit suffering from Alzheimer?

[

It is not enough for a party to call themselves "Democrats", that they actually ARE democrats.

(I am not going to talk about the US anymore.)

The Democrats at the very least would have to be more accurately named than Thai Raak Thai! :):D:D

And with the siege he meant the siege of the yellow shirts led by the current minister of foreign affairs where the yellows cut the power and had a home made explosive that was later turned into a tear gas canister? Or is Abhisit suffering from Alzheimer?

Hmmm that claim has been proven not to be true ... stating things that you know to be a lie is a BAD thing.

My Thai wife said that see was going to drive her new BWM down to the Red shirt rallies and pass out whitening cream so that the Reds would finally feel better about themselves and this whole mess would finally be over :)

If you want equality for the poorer folk, copy Zimbabwe.

I forgot to mention she is also the most beautiful woman (inside and out) I have ever met. She is now rolling around the floor p*ssing herself laughing.

Short is beautiful.

This government is far more democratic than many that have gone before it. I think these people need to be educated.

Finally ... we come to the root of the problem! A simple concept that is monumentally difficult to address. From an ideological perspective, I fully sympathize with the redshirts that truly believe they stand for a good cause. The lack of educational opportunities for the vast majority of poor people is perhaps the most dominant factor that has led to this unfortunate situation.

Reading the story and the posts here it is plain to see that a lot people have learned from politics how to spin these stories. Its is the Red Shirts, it is the Government, it is the Muslims. And if someone finally does prove who it is behind the bombings, there will still be a whole lot of people that will stick to their own stories. The U.S. has a funny example; a few people claim President Obama wasn’t born in America, although he has produced a Hawaiian Birth Certificate and it was published in the media and is on the Internet for anyone to see. I keep repeating the saying, “You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own truth”.

If you want some unbiased information you should not only look to state and army owned channels but also have a look at People's Television (channel 4 on Sophon; channel 20 on TMN).

:):D:D

The complete post was:

As a newbie you should know that this forum is famous for its never ending stories about “paid” protesters.

The truth is that the protesters receive thousands of donations from all over the country to cover actual expenses for fuel and so on.

If you want some unbiased information you should not only look to state and army owned channels but also have a look at People’s Television (channel 4 on Sophon; channel 20 on TMN).

Am I the only one who finds it pathetic to read ANY post which starts with the phrases;

"My thai wife said. .."

"My thai girlfriend told me. .."

or the ever popular "My thai wife's family said. .."????

Are the plethora of foreigners with their obligatory "thai-in-tow" who live here incapable of formulating their own thoughts and instead must rely on being spoon-fed their (mis)information?

The mind wobbles at the b/s foreigners are willing to believe simply because it comes from their significant other. :)

"DickFarang" certainly shot himself in the foot with his witty remarks, and by saying the People TV (the Red shirt channel) is unbiased in their news reporting. That's like watching FOX news in the US and wondering why every is spun a certain political direction.. Sheesh, again, the mind wobbles. :D

My Thai wife agrees with you. Good post.

If you want some unbiased information you should not only look to state and army owned channels but also have a look at People's Television (channel 4 on Sophon; channel 20 on TMN).

:):D:D

The complete post was:

As a newbie you should know that this forum is famous for its never ending stories about "paid" protesters.

The truth is that the protesters receive thousands of donations from all over the country to cover actual expenses for fuel and so on.

And where would you be getting the unbiased reporting from? Obviously the regular channels would be more unbiased than People TV, but they still have a bias I am sure :D

unbiased ... LOL

And what does she give as her reasons for joining the crowd? Very curious how she thinks what the Reds are doing is a worthy cause, more so based on who is funding them?

Why is it that the government seems to know all about the intentions of the bombers but can't identify those responsible?

Why is it that security laws are being applied to achieve political objectives? Can we have some transparency here, please?

Are you saying it was a major conspiracy? I knew someone would start postin' conspiracy theories right away. Well I doubt the gov't keeps targeting their own places. Ironically, you know who is in town and the timing in which these have reoccured since their presence. I know it wasn't the power puff girls.

And what does she give as her reasons for joining the crowd? Very curious how she thinks what the Reds are doing is a worthy cause, more so based on who is funding them?

that means her old man paid for her to go, marry a naive foreigner who'll sponser you. then you can leave work at the bar, and even go for a hubby sponsered protest!

I reckon that if I was a Muslim Extremist in southern Thailand and the Malay peninsula and my goal was secession from Thailand and the Islamification if SE Asia I would have been stashing explosives around Bangkok for the last 6 months just waiting for a moment like this. To incite civil war amongst the Buddhist ruling elite and country folk would be an ideal way to push their agenda for separation and to bring the southern population over to their way of thinking. I'm not saying this is the case but it seems that a lot of munitions and arms have gone "missing" from southern barracks over the last few years and not a lot of people are really talking about the possibility of a "third force"....

IMO most “country folk” are better Buddhists and better people than most “Buddhist ruling elite”.

It is good that the country folk are "better people"- as you say - as the vast majority of them seem to be lacking intelligence. My sympathies also that your wife wants to waste her time rallying for Thaksin in Bangkok. I hope it is very hot.