Bangkok Withdraws From Earth Hour 2010

webfact

Bangkok withdraws from Earth Hour 2010

BANGKOK (NNT) -- Bangkok will not participate in the Earth Hour 2010 project with other countries worldwide to turn off lights for one hour on 27 March night due to political unrest.

Bangkok Governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra announced that Bangkok would not join the program as the overall situation in the city was not normal amid political tension and protests. He added the anti-government United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) also planned to march around the capital city on 27 March.

The governor speculated that some ill-intentioned people might use the non-electricity period to instigate violence and crime. He noted that security measures would be tougher to maintain peace and order if Bangkok joined the activity.

Nevertheless, MR Sukhumbhand said other provinces of the Kingdom with normal situations could participate in Earth Hour with other foreign countries worldwide.

The annual Earth Hour project is initiated by the World Wildlife Fund (WWF). Electricity is switched off for one hour in a bid to reduce global warming. The campaign this year will take place on 27 March 2010 from 20.30 to 21.30 hrs with the participation of over 120 countries and 2,510 cities around the world.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-03-25

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

This country is a joke, and it’s Ministers a bigger laughing stock, whilst I can understand and appreciate why Bangkok cannot join the other 2,510 cities world wide.

They would have to turn off electricity for 5 years just to make up for the pollution caused by the self-centred uneducated people of Chiangmai province over the first 3 months of this year. The Government has done absolutely nothing to prevent this annual pollution ritual.

Third world country with 3rd rate politicians who attempt to convince the rest of the world that it is interested in issues such as global warming.

This country is a joke, and it’s Ministers a bigger laughing stock, whilst I can understand and appreciate why Bangkok cannot join the other 2,510 cities world wide.

They would have to turn off electricity for 5 years just to make up for the pollution caused by the self-centred uneducated people of Chiangmai province over the first 3 months of this year. The Government has done absolutely nothing to prevent this annual pollution ritual.

Third world country with 3rd rate politicians who attempt to convince the rest of the world that it is interested in issues such as global warming.

Very well put! The trouble with Thailand is their word means nothing. Quote the rice growers "We only want to export" Well that works well as long as you have import taxes on foreign rice. What if every other country in the world adopted that philosophy? Put a 20% import tax on Thai rice? Kind of like a 50% import tax on vegemite!

And what about the abolishment of Import taxes on foreign beer from Asean countries, supposed to be in effect Jan 1st? What a joke! Haven't seen lower prices on say Tiger. Haven't seen an influx of Tsing Tao.

In summary, I will not be in Chiang Mai this time next year. The self inflicted pollution is horrendous! I'm sitting in an air conditioned house right now and I can smell burning plastic. It's not just rice fields, it is all the trash that has been dumped by the side of the roads. I am used to riding a bicycle 300km a week, but dare not go out in this death trap.

I know, if you don't like it leave it. Well, I will, but wouldn't it be nice to be able to change the place for the better?

:) No lights? its happened to me 2 x this month already and more than one hour more like 8 so that's my contribution.

In my village near Doi Saket we participate in this no electricity for an hour almost every day. God only knows what it will be like in the wet season.

I understand that in Chiang Mai it will be voluntary. The municipal will not shut off the electricity.

No air-con. No fans. They better change it to cool season if they want me to participate. :)

Oh come on, be a sport: if you turned off the lights, people might think it was because you didn't have enough money to pay the power bill. But, if you turn off the air, inside the privacy of your own home, who is going to know ?

I'm sitting in an air conditioned house right now .....

Being that the vast majority of energy in Thailand is created with coal and oil, I hope you realize you are adding to the problem which you are complaining about.

I think this Earth Hour is a great idea. Changing our energy habits is going to take a long time. Eventually we are all going to change our ways, whether it's a planned voluntary incremental change or a more sudden devastating forced one. I hope this progresses to something big over the years where eventually we will turn off the power and stop every internal combustion engine on the entire planet for an entire day and see the effects it has.