Village Life In Bangkok?

Belfastboy

me and my thai wife are in the process of discussing where in bkk it would be best to live....shes all for these big village - housing estate places...u know the ones that have security and club house etc...all very impressive but out a wee bit near the airport in don muang...apparently theres a sky train line being built out there at the minute....

my question is any of you guys live in these such places? experiences....?

me and my thai wife are in the process of discussing where in bkk it would be best to live....shes all for these big village - housing estate places...u know the ones that have security and club house etc...all very impressive but out a wee bit near the airport in don muang...apparently theres a sky train line being built out there at the minute....

my question is any of you guys live in these such places? experiences....?

I have lived in a Moo Baan twice. Once we were nightmare tenants and had parties every night, the other time our neighbours ruined it for us by doing the same when I wasn't. Karma I guess!

Be very careful about your neighbours, especially if buying.

I was in a market for a house in Moo Baan a few years ago (but ended up buying a condo in the city) and I found L&H (Land and Houses) Moo Baan to be the best among many projects I've seen, really lives up to its reputation as a #1 developer in Thailand. They outperformed other developer's projects in design, finish, landscape, facility and security, IMHO. You should definitely consider L&H.

There are many many projects under development in Rangsit along Rangsit - Nakhon Nayok Rd. and also Motorway - Ring Road junction area. These roads connects to the expressway, therefore providing easy access to the city. And you definitely need to have a car if you are to live in Moo Baan. My brother lives in one of those L&H houses in Khlong 4, Rangsit, and when he's off to work with his car, his GF is literally confined in the house, she can't go anywhere unless she calls a taxi. From their house, it takes at least 10 minutes walk just to get to the gate of the Moo Baan. Another 10 minutes ride on motorcycle taxi to get to the major road.

You might also want to note that resale value of a house in suburban Moo Baan is not good, generally speaking.

sounds good...the only thing concerns me is the transport side of things...i need somewhere within walking distance of a BTS station....any ideas ?

is there any special compounds or ex pat villages so to speak of in bkk? :o

I think another major developer Sansiri has a project in Sukhumvit soi 67 but I believe those houses are sold in the price range of 20 - 30 million Baht or perhaps more. Are you going to buy one or rent one? If renting, does it have to be a house in Moo Baan? I don't believe there are many Moo Baans in the city center close to BTS stations except Baan Sansiri Sukhumvit near BTS Ekkamai station, but I doubt if anybody is renting out a house in there.

http://www.baansansiri.com/

Edited by Nordlys

sounds good...the only thing concerns me is the transport side of things...i need somewhere within walking distance of a BTS station....any ideas ?

is there any special compounds or ex pat villages so to speak of in bkk? :o

I think another major developer Sansiri has a project in Sukhumvit soi 67 but I believe those houses are sold in the price range of 20 - 30 million Baht or perhaps more. Are you going to buy one or rent one? If renting, does it have to be a house in Moo Baan? I don't believe there are many Moo Baans in the city center close to BTS stations except Baan Sansiri Sukhumvit near BTS Ekkamai station, but I doubt if anybody is renting out a house in there.

http://www.baansansiri.com/

very impressive but a bit outside my price range.. :D

around 15million tops....prefer to buy as rents seem extremley high in bkk....

maybe somwhere in bang na i think theres a new underground being developed there nerar the new airport? convience is the key but enough room to breathe...picky picky... :D

The Ramkhamhaeng/Bang Kapi area plenty of new projects going up. I am not sure about price as our house is in the"old village" and was left to my wife by her grandmother. But projects are popping up all over the place, I guess in the 4-5 million bracket . Very close to the Chon Buri express/ring road and the new airport :o Along way and a few years from BTS though, have to rely on public transport ,or your own car :D

apparently theres a sky train line being built out there at the minute....

I'll believe that when it happens. There have been various reports on extending the BTS out to the current airport (DM) and to Rangsit (Future Park) based on the remnants of the Hopewell project but it will probably be a few years before that happens.

Out Rangsit way on the Nakhon-Nayok Road there are buses that go as far as Khlong 5(?) such as the #538. That gets you to Victory Monument BTS in around an hour for about 20 baht, or you can change near Future Park for a bus that goes to Chatuchak MRT/Morchit BTS.

Most moo baans along Nakhon-Nayok Road are situated beside Rangsit Khlong so getting a motorcycle taxi to the main road is not usually a problem during the day. Late at night a taxi from Sukhumvit takes less than half an hour and costs 200-230 baht.

There are lots of houses being built out this way but if you don't mind renovating there are bargains to be had as older houses are very slow to sell. Lots of development also going on around Fashion Island/Safari World.

One significant problem living in a “Moo Ban Jat San” built by any of the major Property Development Companies is that after a few years when all the properties have been sold, the Developer pulls out completely. This leaves the administration of such things as Security, Street Lighting, Cleaning of roads etc. to those living in the Village. If the owners are able to set up an effective and hard working “Village Committee” to oversee these matters - including the collection of monthly Fees from Residents to pay for them - then all is well but this is not always the case and things can fall into disrepair very quickly.

The same caveat applies when one purchases a Condominium of course - care of the Communal facilities is often ignored once all units have been sold.

It's one argument in favour of buying property in an established Community, so you can see what the organisation of these aspects is like.

Patrick

One significant problem living in a “Moo Ban Jat San” built by any of the major Property Development Companies is that after a few years when all the properties have been sold, the Developer pulls out completely.

Some developers stay on.

Go for a Land and House or AP Citismart project.

:o

One significant problem living in a “Moo Ban Jat San” built by any of the major Property Development Companies is that after a few years when all the properties have been sold, the Developer pulls out completely.

Some developers stay on.

Go for a Land and House or AP Citismart project.

Agreed that a well respected developer such as L&H is generally the best bet.

Having said that, our Mooban was actually built by one of the smaller Thai developers. Although we are lucky in so far as the owner of the development company himself lives in a mansion located within the mooban. This certainly provides a great deal of comfort for both security and future administration issues. :D

Rags

One significant problem living in a “Moo Ban Jat San” built by any of the major Property Development Companies is that after a few years when all the properties have been sold, the Developer pulls out completely. This leaves the administration of such things as Security, Street Lighting, Cleaning of roads etc. to those living in the Village. If the owners are able to set up an effective and hard working “Village Committee” to oversee these matters - including the collection of monthly Fees from Residents to pay for them - then all is well but this is not always the case and things can fall into disrepair very quickly.
Don't they normally stay as a management contractor for the juristic person's office?

I've seen L&H Moo Baans about ten years old to be quite well maintained. But nonetheless it can happen. I used to live in a very shabby town house before. When in months there wasn't enough monthly fees collected, there was no security guard in the post and no street lamps lit in the evening.

The same caveat applies when one purchases a Condominium of course - care of the Communal facilities is often ignored once all units have been sold.

Not the condo I live. :o

The developer remained as the management team and I'm more than satisfied with their job.

The Ramkhamhaeng/Bang Kapi  area  plenty of new projects going up.

Yes, there are quite a few Moo Baans under development or in sales stage along Ramkamheng Rd, some of them as far away as the Ring Road, while others are closer to the city center in the sois opposite Ramkamheng University. Ramkamheng University is not too far from the city center, but the traffic around Ramkamheng/Bangkapi is a nightmare. One good way to commute from this area is to take the canal express boat, that is if you can put up with the smell of the canal and the splash of the polluted canal water.

There are also many projects under development in Buddha Monton area to the west of Thonburi, past Mall Bang Khae on Phetkasem Rd, but nowhere near the BTS station.

If you insist on the vicinity of the BTS stations, you might want to research the Thonburi area where the extension of the BTS beyond Saphaan Taksin station is currently under construction.

Though not a single detached house, you might also want to consider this upscale townhouse estate near Sathorn and Rama 4 Rd, called Lofts Sathorn. Not far from MRTA Kloeng Toey and Lumpini stations (but not quite a walking distance).

http://www.hamptons.co.th/html/theLofts/sathorn/design.html

I wanted this townhouse but it was way out of my reach (around B10 million or more), so I settled with a condo.

Moo Baan Evergreen on Bangna-Trad soi 56 is pretty good, price is definitely below 15million and it's not far from Central Bangna (about 55baht by taxi).

in fact, there are 2 empty houses next to mine. The houses themselves are pretty much in decay but heard from the neighbour that the land is as cheap as 2million baht.

There are also a few houses in good condidition, if you are interested, I could get more info from my neighbour who is the chairman of the so called "village comittee".

It's one argument in favour of buying property in an established Community, so you can see what the organisation of these aspects is like.

Patrick

A very good advice! New houses in a Moo Ban loose at least 20 % of their value within a year. The overprice is often used by the developers to finance the infra-structure.

And: Never buy a house if you only have been staying a short time in Thailand. Start by renting a house! And look around carefull. About a week after you settled down you will finally find the house you really wanted!

A very good advice! New houses in a Moo Ban loose at least 20 % of their value within a year. The overprice is often used by the developers to finance the infra-structure.

And: Never buy a house if you only have been staying a short time in Thailand. Start by renting a house! And look around carefull. About a week after you settled down you will finally find the house you really wanted!

That is a right approach.

BTW, I don't know whose money it is you're buying a house with but is it really OK for you to spend tens of milliions of Baht and you as a foreigner not having legal ownership to it? Moo Baan or not, a single detached house in the vicinity of BTS station would cost more than B10 million for sure.

the house name would obiviously be in my wifes name....but yeah we plan to rent for a month and look around...we are openminded....although my wife doesnt like the idea of condos...especially with kids and with recent tremors in bkk she reckons most of the condos built aren't up to withstanding too many tremors...

in an ideal world...a moo bann in sukhumvit near a bts or subway....but thats in an ideal world...

my wifes sister who is is in bkk is looking around for us...but its common knowledge that the moo banns amenities go down the pan after about 2 years...

There's a Baan Areeya (Areeya Chaba) project right near the Ladprao Subway stop. It's not a detached house project, but a townhome project. Not sure about the prices, I think they are +/- 10 million. Fairly reasonable, given the convenient location.