Car Crash

As Nalak has said Joe is at the temple at the Bophut traffic lights. Anybody wishing to pay their respects can do so now. The cremation is organised but we are waiting to hear from the embassy for the final OK to go ahead. We have been told we should know end of Friday. If this is correct I will post the date and time of the funeral. As with the cremation we are trying to arrange a wake befitting of such a character as Joe. I will post when I have all the details.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry if this sounds a little insensitive, but we are led to believe that Big Joe lost control of the car and hit a tree. As Joe is now back on the Island, what is the cause of death on the death certificate? If such an incident as this happened in the UK, and I am sure in western Europe, the USA etc, then a post mortem would be performed, to establish the cause of death. Was there a heart attack or stroke? Maybe here in Thailand they don't do post mortems!

cant be there for the big blokes do, just to short notice and Easter weekend flights not good, i will however be in one of Joes favourite spots in patters, the welkome inn, office bar to raise a glass or 2. will anybody be recording the event by way of photos if so can you PM. staff here known him for 20 years and asked.

Chubba's all round Joe

Edited by NALAK

I'm sorry if this sounds a little insensitive, but we are led to believe that Big Joe lost control of the car and hit a tree. As Joe is now back on the Island, what is the cause of death on the death certificate? If such an incident as this happened in the UK, and I am sure in western Europe, the USA etc, then a post mortem would be performed, to establish the cause of death. Was there a heart attack or stroke? Maybe here in Thailand they don't do post mortems!

No from this thread I believe it was raining and he hit some water and lost control. This has happened to me on Highway 44, where owing to the straightness and length of the road, you think you are doing 80 km/hr but in reality it is 140 km/hr and when you hit those pools of water, you aquaplane and lose control. VERY scary this road in the rain.

cant be there for the big blokes do, just to short notice and Easter weekend flights not good, i will however be in one of Joes favourite spots in patters, the welkome inn, office bar to raise a glass or 2. will anybody be recording the event by way of photos if so can you PM. staff here known him for 20 years and asked.

Chubba's all round Joe

Should wake (cremation) take place on Monday -Tuesday I'll be surely/could be recording HD video on top of the pictures. Edited video I could later then upload for everyone to see on youtube. My "zero hour" to get the story in for 16th day newspaper is basically coming Tuesday.

- Just a reminder. If you got any short stories or pictures of Big Joe get them in (Please PM) by Monday. -

Edited by SamuiDude

Chubba's all round Joe

Should wake (cremation) take place on Monday -Tuesday I'll be surely/could be recording HD video on top of the pictures. Edited video I could later then upload for everyone to see on youtube. My "zero hour" to get the story in for 16th day newspaper is basically coming Tuesday.

- Just a reminder. If you got any short stories or pictures of Big Joe get them in (Please PM) by Monday. -

Missed this one (will be there):

BIG JOE!

The wake will be held at the Bungy Jump, Chaweng. Sat 3rd April. (from 3pm) 600 people are expected so PLEASE your help is needed! Donations of food and drinks. The use of Tables & chairs. Ice boxes, Gazebo/shelter from Sun OR Rain. Could Anyone PLEASE donate your staff OR yourselves for a few hours to help with cooking BBQ & serving food & drinks! It would all be a massive help.

For info please call Simon; 0817 95226. Dean; 0857 887161. DaveHut; 0844 416414.

Also If anyone has any favorite pictures of Joe , can you send them to the following; Sorry E Mail removed. Please PM the poster. ADMIN .

To anyone that can help ... On behalf of Big Joe ... THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH !!!!

No from this thread I believe it was raining and he hit some water and lost control. This has happened to me on Highway 44, where owing to the straightness and length of the road, you think you are doing 80 km/hr but in reality it is 140 km/hr and when you hit those pools of water, you aquaplane and lose control. VERY scary this road in the rain.

Rest in peace Big Joe.

Crusty, we all know the hazzards of water on the roads, but that dosn't answer Trashy's point.

I agree with trashy and it would seem to me a heart attack or stroke are more likely the cause of him loosing control.

I hope this does not sound insensitive, but I can't help thinking considering the size of Joe it is unlikely he had his safety belt on

Goodbye Joe.

Agreed, I can't help but think the same. Cause of death 'car accident', sorry but no way. I guess that's what we have to expect when living in a 3rd world country

i cannot be there for Joes funeral, just could not get flight on Thursday night to arrive before funeral, anbody know where his ashes will be placed. i would like at some time to pay my respects to Joe

Edited by NALAK

• 1 year later...

It is 15 months since Big Joe died.

Big Joe was my brother.

Today (25th of June 2011)is the day when i and all of his family in the UK learned of his death from a mate of my nephew who was on holiday in Samui and asked after Big Joe on our behalf as we hadn't heard from him in a long time.

The last time i saw him was when i came over on holiday 5 years ago.

We were NOT informed as 'H20 Dunc' has stated in this thread.

Rob Bettridge

Big Joe was my brother.

Today (25th of June 2011)is the day when i and all of his family in the UK learned of his death from a mate of my nephew who was on holiday in Samui and asked after Big Joe on our behalf as we hadn't heard from him in a long time.

Rob Bettridge

Finding out about his death seeing my brother's funeral on Youtube came as a shock and leaves many questions needing answers.

Big Joe was my brother.

The last time i saw him was when i came over on holiday 5 years ago.We were NOT informed as 'H20 Dunc' has stated in this thread.

Rob Bettridge

Finding out about his death seeing my brother's funeral on Youtube came as a shock and leaves many questions needing answers.

agree

Big Joe was my brother.

Rob Bettridge

sorry to hear that. i only knew him for a couple of years but he was always a good guy with great character. i can't speak for everyone but i don't know of anyone that doesn't miss him around here.

sorry to hear that, i was with him in pattaya when he had the crash on the way back, we had some problems getting his orginal surname for the embassey to inform NOK. i found out from Dave at view talay in Pattaya. as i understood it when i passed the info on and it got to the British Consulate his sister had been located and informed and gave the go ahead for the cremation.

something i always wanted to ask but never have where are Joes ashes laid, if i ever return to Samui would like to go and pay my respects to my old mate.

sorry to hear that, i was with him in pattaya when he had the crash on the way back, we had some problems getting his orginal surname for the embassey to inform NOK. i found out from Dave at view talay in Pattaya. as i understood it when i passed the info on and it got to the British Consulate his sister had been located and informed and gave the go ahead for the cremation.

something i always wanted to ask but never have where are Joes ashes laid, if i ever return to Samui would like to go and pay my respects to my old mate.

Thanks for the info NALAK.

I have no knowledge of either but i Will be finding out.

I spoke with the FCO in London today and they told me from their case notes that after unsucessfull attempts to contact any of His family they made the decision to let his friends go ahead with the cremation.

The FCO have no idea what happened to Joes personal effects or where his Ashes are.

Hopefully one of those friends can let me know where his Ashes are so i can pay my respects when i come over to Thailand again.

Big Joe was my brother.

Rob Bettridge

Yes questions need answering. Sorry to hear you have only just found out and my condolences with all the family.

Edited by samui543

I think this thread should be stopped in my opinion for respect to BIG JOE.

I think his family have a right to know, if they choose. If the thread offends guy-i-meet-a-few-times-in-bar-1973 then so be it, not sure how that falls under the banner of 'respect to BIG JOE'. What disrespect is being served??? Who does he PM if he dont know?? The moderators will make their own logical choice

Edited by devdrinker

The embassy should know who was their contact for arranging the funeral. This person should have thi information that you need.

Think that there were allot of people at his funneral. maybe some were in clubs and own bars in Samui. They might have more information,

You really need to find who was their contact for arranging the funneral and making all the dissions,

Thanks for that Big C ,

I'm on it and I will be getting in touch with Joe's mate Steve.

It is heart warming for us to know how well liked Joe was which is evident in the video of Joe's Cremation service turn out back on the day and the tributes paid to him on the ThaiVisa forum

We, Joe's family, thank each and every one of you

Rob

post-134752-0-23428400-1309158747_thumb.

Edited by RigHopper

Big Joe's Ashes are still in The Temple at Bohput.

thanks for the info Rob if i ever return to Samui will be sure to go and pay respects, couple of pictures of Joe his Christmas Day Diner Party 2009, as Joe was all free just tips for the staff. if you want them e mailing or sent to you PM me.

post-53164-0-66988000-1309175019_thumb.j

post-53164-0-81999500-1309175040_thumb.j

I am delighted you now have this information. Your brother was a well thought of character in Samui. He is missed by many.

I am sorry you had to find out so late. It must have been a great shock to you.

My condolences to you and your family.

I am delighted you now have this information. Your brother was a well thought of character in Samui. He is missed by many.

I am sorry you had to find out so late. It must have been a great shock to you.

My condolences to you and your family.

Thank you for your kind words. They are very much appreciated and i feel sure that everyone who knew and still miss him feel the same.

I think it is time for me to ask the mods to close this thread and for us all not to dwell on How Big Joe died but to cherish, in our own way, How he lived.

REST IN PEACE 'BIG JOE'

post-134752-0-58248300-1309178442_thumb.