Thai Policeman Guilty - Gets Life In Prison

george

The difference between a life sentence and a death sentence in Thailand is that 'Death' is absolute but a 'Life' sentence will probably be reduced by concessions made for the King's birthday. A 'Life' sentence is not really a guaranteed term. The guy coukld be back on the street in ten years, the victims will not!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im also adding that it is 'psychopathic' to shoot people...in the HEAD!... that is insane... what was he really that crazy that made him do such a nasty thing?? maybe there are connections with in the incident... i am only speaking from what i read...ok? so i apologize for any misunderstanding or whatever...

The understanding is that, whether spitting was involved or not, the British guy caused the policeman to lose face on his home turf. That can and does drive a lot of Asians to commit murder.

Many of us have been following the story closely since the original incident, because of a widespread perception that Thais with connections tend to escape punishment for their crimes, regardless of how clear the evidence is. (And for the same reasons, farangs without connections tend to be bottom of the pecking order in the justice system.) Many (farang residents) at the time predicted that he would somehow escape conviction when the fuss died down, so it's sort of "satisfying" to see that that didn't happen and that justice has almost certainly been served.

It would be nice to believe that this is a sign that the Thai justice system is moving towards equality for all. A die-hard cynic might point out that the policeman concerned was very lowly in the overall scheme of things; precisely the sort of "wild-west" personality that the voting Thai public would also like to see stamped out; and with the British media still baying for blood, the conviction was perhaps a political decision.

As usual, the truth is probably somewhere in between.

well its the correct verdict , and a good sentence , but i wonder if he will have a hard time in gaol.

What do you think...?

This STINKS big time! I've been down there this morning and it's all a bit of an anti-climax. VERY, VERY disappointed, as are a lot of the expats here. After 2 or 3 years when all the dust settles this P.O.S will walk away free as a bird after a very relaxed stretch in prison.

Watch your backs foreigners, our lives are worth F*** ALL to these people!

How about dragged him for 200 metres down the road for 39 days and then put him to jail till he rots.

That works out at just over 5 meteres a day.

You are not a member of the Howard league of penal reform are you?

and now he pays the price of his crimes, as convicted by a court of law in Thailand.

Court of Law...?

In Thailand...?

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!

This guy will be free before you know it! Having read the posts on this thread, sooo many of you are soooo naive...."Justice is done", "paying for his crimes"

Do me a favour!

Even the police down at the court today were looking embarrassed, they know what REALLY happened here today!

TOSSERS!

Somchai's lawyer said he would appeal the conviction.
He will be out soon, I reckon.

Police in Thai prisons do not get the same treatment as police in my country(Scotland).

Yep.

The understanding is that, whether spitting was involved or not, the British guy caused the policeman to lose face on his home turf. That can and does drive a lot of Asians to commit murder.

It's a pity that the victim din't learn about dos and don't in Thailand before he did this.

A Thai in prison for killing a "farang" will be somewhat of a celebrity IMO. Very, very , very , very, very, different to a Ausie guy I know in jail for "allegedly" killing a Thai.

Justice has not been done yet, unfortunately, and never will while this guy is still alive.

Backpack, I think you have got the right angle on things.

Edited by Neeranam

and now he pays the price of his crimes, as convicted by a court of law in Thailand.

Court of Law...?

In Thailand...?

This guy will be free before you know it! Having read the posts on this thread, sooo many of you are soooo naive...."Justice is done", "paying for his crimes"

Do me a favour!

Even the police down at the court today were looking embarrassed, they know what REALLY happened here today!

TOSSERS!

Just out of curoisty how did obtain such wonderful insight to the Thia court System, was it personal experience or what you overheard in a conversation?

Life vs death sentence

A couple decades ago, Rose Bird was the Chief Justice of the CA Supreme Court. A guy was on death row for a decade, when the CA supreme court decided that the death penalty was unconstitutional, and the guy's sentence was reduced to "life". The CA supreme court then ruled that "life" was an indeterminant length, and unconstitutional. He was paroled! While on parole, he murdered another person, and was sent to jail for "25 years to life" - a constitutionally acceptable punishment in CA. As long as this guy is alive, there's a chance he's be on the streets again...probably as a policeman.

Glad he didn't get the death sentence.

Dying is easy.

Doing the time ain't.

You have experienced either of the two ? :o

A rather inane post for your very first submission, however, I love your avatar :D

As I said in a previous post, to impose the death penaly would have set a very dangerous precedent for Thailand, and the Thai police force in general. I just hope that "life" in this case really is life, but being Thailand :D I have my doubts unfortunately.

A Thai in prison for killing a "farang" will be somewhat of a celebrity IMO. Very, very , very , very, very, different to a  Ausie guy I know in jail for "allegedly" killing a Thai.

Although I applaud the fact that this guy was not acquitted, I think you're right there Neeranam.

Like the OThers.... his true day will come.. the jail and release factor could ...

YET... the Keepers of Social justice.. Will do this P.o.S...Right...

The wilderness of mirrors begins for this P.O.S.. He does not walk and others will make sure...

QUOTE(Backpack_thailand @ 2005-05-26 05:46:03)

Court of Law...?

In Thailand...?

Do me a favour!

TOSSERS!

Just out of curoisty how did obtain such wonderful insight to the Thia court System, was it personal experience or what you overheard in a conversation?

I have had experience working in International lawyers' offices in Bangkok.

I have had a good friend(K.Wirot, from Clifford Chance Wirot) for a few years.

I have known criminal lawyers in Bangkok for years, one of them among the top 3 in Thailand. The stories I have heard about the Thai "court of law" are amazing. I wish I could share a few, they would make your view of many cases, including this one, a bit different.

Sadly, I defend Backpacker's view.

Being led from the courthouse:

r1729802624.jpg

May these never come off until they melt while his body burns in the crematorium.... and may his spirit spend eternity in pain.

It stinks like rotting fish I know, but isn't it nice to see the P O S being taken away in handcuffs.

well its the correct verdict , and a good sentence , but i wonder if he will have a hard time in gaol.

What do you think...?

This STINKS big time! I've been down there this morning and it's all a bit of an anti-climax. VERY, VERY disappointed, as are a lot of the expats here. After 2 or 3 years when all the dust settles this P.O.S will walk away free as a bird after a very relaxed stretch in prison.

My exact same concerns.

Good to see him locked up, but I believe that deep down in everyone's minds right now, this is still only a temporary measure.

Have to agree with Backpack Thailand. The easy part is the sentencing, serving time is another story. This guy's going to go free sooner than one may think.

I said it on the previous thread, before the verdict, and I agree, the 'plan' will be to let him free once all the international fuss has died down.

Someone needs to perform random checks over the next 25 years to verify that he is still in prison, and if not, bring the weight of the international press down on the Thai Justice system to defend its actions.

Sadly I fear the whole thing is a sham. They knew they had to convict him for PR reasons so they twisted the whole "confession" thing around so that they had an excuse not to give him the death penalty.

I wouldn't be surprised if many in authority here sympathise with what he did. I can see him having an easy ride in prison and then getting out in a couple of years when they think the world won't notice.

Does anyone know if any of the Thai witnesses actually stood up in court?

Who is going to check if he's really in prison or not? Whether legally, through royal prison term reductions or illegally through special payments, getting out of jail here is about as difficult as it is in a game of Monopoly. I think the main question is if he saved for a rainy day or has favors/credits owed him.

:o

so what drove this man to kill this 'innocent' people? what did they do at the restaurant? what did they say?

Does it matter, whatever happened that night the brutal, cold-blooded murder of two people was not justified... and now he pays the price of his crimes, as convicted by a court of law in Thailand.

What does "life imprisonment" mean here ? in oz it is about 11 yrs with good behavior time deducted,term of natural life is what it says.., I know a tuk tuk driver in town who only did 8 yrs of a life sentence for murdering his business partner.

He faced the death sentence but Judge Dilok Boonthawinant said a confession to police made him change it to life imprisonment.

Hang on...didn't he rescind the guilty plee????

Yep, he confessed first up, then said the coppers beat that confession out of him, his defense at the trial was that one of his drug informants did it but he only knew the blokes nick-name , weird eh !

A THAI policeman has been convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment for murdering two British tourists last year after a row outside a restaurant in western Thailand.

Somchai Visetsing, 40, was charged with two counts of murder for shooting dead Vanessa Arscott, 24, and her boyfriend, Adam Lloyd, 25, last September 9, close to the famous 'Bridge on the River Kwai' in Kanchanaburi.

Somchai was handed two life sentences for the killings, and was also convicted on two separate weapons charges.

Provincial judge Rungrat Vijitjongkol said several witnesses had testified that Somchai's car was at the scene, and said they heard gunfire and had seen the suspect with the two tourists.

"The witnesses' testimony was credible," the judge said.

"None of these witnesses had any reason for bias against the accused."

Somchai confessed to the killings during the police investigation but later denied murdering the two and pleaded innocent during the trial.

"For the murder of Adam Lloyd, the sentence is life in prison," Judge Rungrat said.

"For the murder of Vanessa Ascott, to cover up the crime of murdering Lloyd, the sentence should be the death penalty, but, because he confessed during the investigation and provided useful information to authorities, the sentence is reduced to life in prison."

Somchai's lawyer said he would appeal against the conviction.

Lloyd's father, Brian Lloyd, 57, said the families of the victims were pleased with the conviction, but he urged the court not to release Somchai on bail during the appeals process. The policeman was granted bail during the trial.

"Even though he may not have directly intimidated witnesses, we believe that the fact that he was free was sufficient to scare many of them," Mr Lloyd said.

"We appeal to the Minister of Justice and the Attorney-General to ensure that this convicted murderer remains securely locked up, and is not granted bail."

"No form of punishment could ever bring our children back, and we trust that the sentence given to this butcher of our children will be served in full."

Somchai confessed in October to killing Lloyd, from Northampton, and Arscott, of Torquay. He had spent a month on the run in neighbouring Burma, before giving himself up to Thai police at the border.

But during his trial in November, Somchai insisted on his innocence, telling the court his confession had been given under duress.

Somchai has denied suggestions of a love triangle, saying he had never met the Britons.

But a British tabloid on Sunday published pictures from Arscott's camera, which showed Somchai playfully kissing her on her cheek.

He was given bail, now he has two life sentences with no set tarif. I am sorry but i have no confidence in this outcome. He will be sipping whiskey back in his restaruant in Kan before he his 45. I also presume back in uniform.

Thai Law & Order & Justice? - you're 'aving a larf aintcha?

2 years ago Police Lieutenant-General Chalor Kerdthes (64) and Police Major Thanee Sridokaub(45) were jailed.

Their crime?

Corruption.

Their sentence?

7 years.

The full story is a terrifying indictment on Thai society.

Two Thai policemen jailed over $20 million of cursed gems

The theft of jewelry worth $20 million from the Saudi Royal Family by a Thai migrant worker led to the jailing of two senior police officers for corruption, The Times of London Reported.

The theft, which caused a diplomatic rift between the two countries, left a trail of bodies as Thai police sought to cash in on the jewelry taken from the royal palace in Riyadh, then newspaper reported.

Police Lieutenant-General Chalor Kerdthes, 64, the man charged with investigating the theft by the migrant worker and with returning the jewels to their owner, Prince Faisal bin Abdul Raish, was jailed for seven years, the newspaper reported. Major Thanee Sridokaub, 45, received the same sentence. Both were found guilty of kidnapping a Thai jeweler who was handling the stolen gems.

Chalor faces further charges of collaborating in the murder of the jeweler's wife and 14-year-old son after a ransom demand of $2.5 million was not met, the newspaper reported. Instead of attempting to solve the case, Thai police saw riches in it for themselves, the criminal court in Bangkok had been told.

Saudi Arabia broke off formal relations with Thailand, withdrawing its Ambassador over the investigation into the theft of the jewelry, which included a blue diamond worth $2 million.

Mohammed Koja, the incoming chargé d'affaires, said the gem would curse all those who illegally handled it, the newspaper reported. It is thought that 17 people died in incidents related to the jewelry theft, making superstitious Thais believe the curse was real.

Of those people killed after the jewelry disappeared, most, it is alleged, were executed on the orders of Thai police officers trying to cover up the fact that while they investigated the theft they pocketed most of the missing items, the newspaper reported.

When the Saudis started investigating the disappearance, a spate of assassinations shook Bangkok. In one day in 1991, three Saudi diplomats, A. Z. al-Basri, the consul, Fahad al-Bahli, an attaché, and Ahmed Alsaif, a telex operator, were murdered outside their homes. Two weeks later a Saudi businessman, Mohammed al- Ruwaili, who had knowledge of who had stolen the jewelry, disappeared.

The jewels, weighing 90kg, were stolen between June and August 1990 from the Riyadh palace by a Thai palace worker, Kriangkrai Techamong, now 46, who packed them in boxes and sent them to relatives in Thailand by DHL parcel post.

When Kriangkrai returned to Thailand, the farmer buried some of his loot and started selling items individually for $30 apiece.

He was arrested and the police seized the remaining jewelry. It was then that most of it disappeared.

Chalor, the investigator, put the items on display in Bangkok announcing a police department triumph. He was even given a medal by the Saudi Government.

The main items, however, were missing and others were later found to be faked copies. One of the pieces of jewelry was spotted on a high-society woman at a Red Cross dinner in Bangkok.

Santi Sritanakhan, a jeweler who was fencing the gems, was kidnapped and tortured on the orders of Chalor. A week later his wife, Darawadee, and son, Seri, were found murdered in a Mercedes-Benz, the newspaper reported. Thai police forensic officers put the death down to a road accident.

Later four men admitted committing the murders on police orders. They had demanded a ransom of $2.5 million from the jeweler. The thief who started it all-Kriangkrai Techamong-is free. He was released after serving two years and seven months for handling stolen goods after receiving two royal pardons.

The jewelry has disappeared and "only Allah and a few people in Thailand" know where it is, Koja reportedly said.

Life in jail has not been bad for Chalor. He has formed a rock group and produced his own version of Jailhouse Rock, the proceeds of which have been donated to prisoners' welfare. He is appealing. "Not all people in jail are guilty," he reportedly said.

Justice, sorry am i posting in the joke forum? The only appeal should be being made by the victims family. No Thai person will believe he has got justice as they will be fully aware of the outcome a few years down the road when he is back on the streets. Death would have been the only way a message could have been sent, and justice in this culture served. This result is pure bull and somjai proberly already knew exactly what he was getting b4 he went in, much the same way that bail was arranged before he handed himself in the first time. Back on the streets very soon. Thats my oppinion, i would love to be proved wrong, and that some sort of justice is done, but its to late. The one and only message that would have been clear that you cannot gun down tourists would have been the death penalty.

More from Reuters:

"The plaintiffs' witnesses and evidence have convinced the court that the defendant committed the crimes of intentional killing a person and killing another to avoid his first crime as charged," said Judge Dilok Bultaweenan, reading out the verdict.

Families of the victims hugged each other as an interpreter translated the ruling.

Somchai, who went on the run for a month after the killings, was initially sentenced to death, but had that punishment commuted to life in prison because he surrendered and confessed to police.

During a confusing series of court appearances, Somchai denied admitting he had shot Lloyd because he spat in his face after a heated argument at Somchai's riverside restaurant.

He said another man, whom he did not know, had killed the couple.

But the judge said Somchai's testimonies "were groundless and could not counter the plaintiffs' witnesses".

The court statement said that after Somchai shot Lloyd he ran over Arscott, and then shot her several times at point-blank range as she tried to crawl away.

Somchai's lawyer said he would appeal the conviction.

Ah yes the Appeals, with any luck the system will be laxed as to the jail accomidations and the fine sole will be put in with some of those he had put in there himself. With a guy like this I'm syre there were wrongful convictions. If he is housed with them there might not be time for many appeals.

with any luck he will be snuffed within the week!!

I applaud the conviction - now we'll see whether it sticks. Personal experience: I had a Thai man who, posing as a friend, stole from me repeatedly for a whole year. I finally caught him in the act, and he wound up getting 18 months in jail.

A few months later he was out - probably by way of a pardon. The moral of this story: don't believe that a sentence will actually stick. The killer cop could be out in a few years for any number of reasons.

i have seen Thais drinking local Mekong whiskey and pleasant enough

however when switching to bourbon or black lable i have seen them erupt into a violent rage over nothing

pics show pleasant fun start - friendly kissing - then BOOM

maybe the engine room exploded when the fuel was changed :o