4 Years For Residency

Hi, I have 3 years of non-imm ED visa from studying here in Thailand. Unfortunately I pretty much have to leave the country to get a non-b to start working here as they wont extend my non-imm visa without a WP and I can't get a WP on a non-immED visa.

If I leave with my non-imm still in tact - request a new non-imm and then enter on it, does this still count as consecutive non-immigrant visas which are required for applying for residency???

Thanks to anyone who has the time to answer me :-)

You need to be on continues extensions of stay, which you would not be. But that would be my interpretation, you might want to check with the officials. Also the ED-visa might, or might not be, a problem.

You can apply for the WP on your Ed-visa, and they will give you a wp3 form. That indicates that you get a WP once you have th right kind of visa or extension of stay. I'm not sure if immigraiton will accept it in the case of an ED-visa or that you will have to leave the country. Often you indeed have to leave the country.

I don't think that the OP's three years on an ED visa would count towards PR since payment of a certain amount of tax over that period , which he can not have done without WP, is one of the main requirements for PR application.

opalhort

I don't think that the OP's three years on an ED visa would count towards PR since payment of a certain amount of tax over that period , which he can not have done without WP, is one of the main requirements for PR application.

opalhort

RD does not require you to have a WP to pay Tax.

. Taxable Person

Taxpayers are classified into “resident” and “non-resident”. “Resident” means any person residing in Thailand for a period or periods aggregating more than 180 days in any tax (calendar) year. A resident of Thailand is liable to pay tax on income from sources in Thailand as well as on the portion of income from foreign sources that is brought into Thailand. A non-resident is, however, subject to tax only on income from sources in Thailand.

Source: http://www.rd.go.th/publish/6045.0.html

Thanks for comments everyone

I havn't been paying Tax - as Interested Observer says; why would I pay Tax if I didn't have to? Some of my friends do say that I'm a reasonably nice guy but you'd have to be a bloody saint to pay tax for fun - lol

Thanks for comments everyone

I havn't been paying Tax - as Interested Observer says; why would I pay Tax if I didn't have to? Some of my friends do say that I'm a reasonably nice guy but you'd have to be a bloody saint to pay tax for fun - lol

There is a downside to not paying tax in your case - you have not qualified for your PR and you risk being excluded from the country if the visa rules change.

Assuming that you are just studying on your Ed visa and not working, why on earth should your friends make fun of you for not paying tax? When you come back on your non-B, and presumably start working and get a WP and yearly visa extensions in-country, you will be expected to pay tax just like everyone else who works in Thailand. Not to do so is tax evasion, which is a crime. By paying your taxes lawfully, you will qualify to apply for PR.

Making fun of tax payers is a rather immature stance, as paying tax is a legal and social responsibility that supports the upkeep of the society that we live in. Tax cheats are freeloaders.