Flat Roads, A Technology From The West?!

frenchFARANGbkk

Hi dudes,

I'm wondering why in my ex country when they renovate a road or make a new pavement, the road is perfectly flat, but in Thailand, even in BANGKOK, roads are NEVER flat (in a country where it sometimes rain so much...).

Is it because they dunno ? Don't mind? Use cheaper material? Does it takes too much time to make it nice? What else?

Not a big thing, but just wondering why not doing things perfectly right away?

Do I forget it's a developping country?

Thanks.

The road builders are in cahoots with the shock absorber industry !!!

Hence everyone has to change their shocks every 2 months.

Special care is required when aproaching bridges !!!!

Why can't they make a smooth transition from road to bridge and vice versa ?????

:o Amazing Thailand indeed.

Pavement takes a beating in no time here. I doubt there's any weight limit on vehicles. See what heavy traffic and hot weather do to the pavement by stretching or compacting it, distorting painted lines at intersections, gutters on straight stretches of road.

It's the fixing of potholes I find incredible. They just come along and shove a lump of tarmac (or whatever) into the hole...and that's it. The end result is that they leave nearly as dangerous a hazard as before they "fixed" it... :D

totster :o

Could be due to a number of factors:

1) Poor quality control of bituminous products (Tarmac,asphalt) at point of manufacture,possibly due to old manufacturing plant,poorly trained staff,inadequate testing and recording procedures.

2)Excessive cost cutting measures: Binder (bitumen,tar) is the single most expensive constituent of bituminous material.Lower the binder content and you save lots of beer tokens.(and I mean lots).

During manufacture aggregate needs to be dried and heated to around 180 degress Celsious,as you can imagine this takes a massive amount of fuel (usually Diesal but can be waste oil or gas) so the temptation is to keep temperatures low.

Low binder and low temperature materials on high trafficked roads is not going to last long.Especialy on wearing course (the bit you drive on) materials.

3)Inadequate or poorly constructed sub -base this is the stone under the layers of asphalt (usually 3 but can be 2).

4)Poor workmanship on laying and inadequate compaction.

Having seen roads been laid and the material been used on them,I think the problems are caused by all the above points.

Iknow Im sad staring at roads on holiday but its my job back home.

P.s. Any asphalt producers reading this,please give me a job. :o I will save you money and get the quality control right.

Edited by rossiok

Hi dudes,

I'm wondering why in my ex country when they renovate a road or make a new pavement, the road is perfectly flat, but in Thailand, even in BANGKOK, roads are NEVER flat (in a country where it sometimes rain so much...).

Is it because they dunno ? Don't mind? Use cheaper material? Does it takes too much time to make it nice? What else?

Thanks.

If they make roads 'perfectly flat' in your ex country then when it rains the water will not run off of the road very quickly and will tend to make deep puddles which will make vehicles either go very slow or if going faster they will hydroplane and slide all over the place causing accidents. Good roads are built with a slight slope (usually 2% slope minimum) so that water runs off quickly...

3)Inadequate or poorly constructed sub -base this is the stone under the layers of asphalt (usually 3 but can be 2).

On the majority of up-country roads, you see very little stone used for the sub-base. It appears generally to be compacted clay which is just the right side of useless.

On the majority of up-country roads, you see very little stone used for the sub-base. It appears generally to be compacted clay which is just the right side of useless.

Don't you just LOVE a smart arse who knows nothing. :o

Very true,the problem with clay soils in hot and rainy seasonal climates,is that when heavy rain occurs the clay sub-strata will soak up water and swell.Then when the hot and dry season occurs it will shrink again.This puts massive strain on the asphalt layers stretching its elastic capabilities to the limit.

This problem is made worse by the fact that "hard" binders must be used to withstand the intense summer heat.The harder the binder the less flexible it is.

The only soloution is to keep going deeper to replace the clay with adequate sub-base.Again lots and lots of beer tokens.

Good point about overweight trucks,but it is not so much the weight(though this is very significant) but more about how many axles,the space between them and the type of suspension fitted to the vehicle.

I suspect that you are not a FRENCH farang at all, for when I lived in France the only roads  that were flat were in my dreams.  :o

Although I am open to correction.

In fact, wasn't that why the Citroen had that special feature to raise itself a few inches so it wouldn't bottom out on French roads? :D

I did not know wether to add this again.But,it seem obvious. :D

I suspect that you are not a FRENCH farang at all, for when I lived in France the only roads  that were flat were in my dreams.  :o

In fact, wasn't that why the Citroen had that special feature to raise itself a few inches so it wouldn't bottom out on French roads? :D

Ajran ,where do you get your Thai type from(for the computer),mine is very rudimentery.Almost non ---------------you get the idea

Edited by roscoe

Ajran ,where do you get your Thai type from(for the computer),mine is very rudimentery.Almost non ---------------you get the idea

rocose, I don't have any Thai fonts in my computer. The piece in my sig was copied and pasted from a Thai-language website.

They've been building the stretch of road from Surat Thani to Thasala for more than a year now, adding to the existing 2 lane so eventually we will have a nice :D 4 lane. They are busy busy at work, every day I see them flatten more and more dirt, (clay?) they are pilling it on, layer upon layer. At some places, it's pilled-on higher than the existing road next to it. I assume they will level it off at some point, though it could be used as a launching ramp.

They seem to know what they are doing.

:o

Hi dudes,

Thanks.

If they make roads 'perfectly flat' in your ex country then when it rains the water will not run off of the road very quickly and will tend to make deep puddles which will make vehicles either go very slow or if going faster they will hydroplane and slide all over the place causing accidents. Good roads are built with a slight slope (usually 2% slope minimum) so that water runs off quickly...

agree! :o

Actually roscoe, jaye is correct on two fonts... first, his description of the sub-base material under the ashphalt that is typically used up-country, ... and second, his evaluation of its usefulness.

If anyone is to be deemed a smart arse in this thread, I suggest you look in the mirror first.

:D

BTW, a wether is a castrated ram. (I should know,I'm a Kiwi. :D ) I thought I would add this, because it's obvious. :D

BTW, a wether is a castrated ram. (I should know,I'm a Kiwi. :D ) I thought I would add this, because it's obvious. :D

:D:D

Smart arse!

Don't you just LOVE a smart arse who knows nothing. :D

Me thinks he/she's on his/her way out before he/she is really in? :o

Inconsistency of the underlying material and subsidance I reckon but I could be completely wrong. :D

Inconsistency of the underlying material and subsidance I reckon but I could be completely wrong. :D

101 posts and most of them total crap. Do we really need this sort of person?

Edited by lampard10

101 posts and most of them total crap. Do we really need this sort of person?

I'm confused now. Are we talking about the 'smartarse', the 'smartass', or the 'smart ashphalt?' :D

I'm confused now. Are we talking about the 'smartarse', the 'smartass', or the 'smart ashphalt?'  :o

Isn’t asphalt that sticky stuff that hardens and keeps the dust down?

They’ve been promising they’d do that in our village for the last 10 years – haven’t seen anything yet.

Must be hard to be a farang with a car.