Songkrahn

Havn't heard of this topic being discussed so i thought i would relay an experience of mine..... I was in Pattaya for Songkrahn (spelling?) and decided to go for a walk. I am used to the usual behavior thats associated with the festival period, mostly, poeple are generally behaved, aside from a number, being more than a few, of farang who insist on taking it to the next level. While walking down a soi near a beer bar, i was aware that people were drinking and having fun etc, i crossed to the other side of the street so i could possibly avoid the water pistols etc. There were not many people in the soi at the time and it was a full day before the Songkrahn was due to begin. I was on the other side of the street when a female farang,who i did not see, came from the bar to the other side of the road and smashed a bucket of water into my face while i was looking down at the ground. The water went into my eyes and i was stunned and temporarily blinded. I grabed the females hand and when i could see again, i actually worked out what had happened. I let go of her and kept walking, i noticed that 3 of her male friends at the bar were laughing, until i gave a stare, but none of the thai workers at the bar were. There was nothing to do but continue on walking, being a victim of drunken rude behavior. I took on board the behavior and started to watch that of other farang over the next few days and could see that there wasnt much respect for any one, farang didnt care who they wet, elderly, people in buisiness clothes etc. Saw some heated arguments as well......Dont get me wrong, its a festive time and you are a part of it if your there but why do farang use it as an excuse to exhibit poor behavior? One of these days someone will respond and it may just be me.............. :o

Havn't heard of this topic being discussed so i thought i would relay an experience of mine..... I was in Pattaya for Songkrahn (spelling?) and decided to go for a walk. I am used to the usual behavior thats associated with the festival period, mostly, poeple are generally behaved, aside from a number, being more than a few, of farang who insist on taking it to the next level. While walking down a soi near a beer bar, i was aware that people were drinking and having fun etc, i crossed to the other side of the street so i could possibly avoid the water pistols etc. There were not many people in the soi at the time and it was a full day before the Songkrahn was due to begin. I was on the other side of the street when a female farang,who i did not see, came from the bar to the other side of the road and smashed a bucket of water into my face while i was looking down at the ground. The water went into my eyes and i was stunned and temporarily blinded. I grabed the females hand and when i could see again, i actually worked out what had happened. I let go of her and kept walking, i noticed that 3 of her male friends at the bar were laughing, until i gave a  stare, but none of the thai workers at the bar were. There was nothing to do but continue on walking, being a victim of drunken rude behavior. I took on board the behavior and started to watch that of other farang over the next few days and could see that there wasnt much respect for any one, farang didnt care who they wet, elderly, people in buisiness clothes etc. Saw some heated arguments as well......Dont get me wrong, its a festive time and you are a part of it if your there but why do farang use it as an excuse to exhibit poor behavior? One of these days someone will respond and it may just be me..............          :o

This in not a generalization, there were plenty of well behaved farang too i might add..........

Yep

Pattaya is prob the worst place you could be at songkraan ,unless you are happy being soaked for two weeks,by moronic falangs in second childhood.

Havn't heard of this topic being discussed so i thought i would relay an experience of mine..... I was in Pattaya for Songkrahn (spelling?) and decided to go for a walk. I am used to the usual behavior thats associated with the festival period, mostly, poeple are generally behaved, aside from a number, being more than a few, of farang who insist on taking it to the next level. While walking down a soi near a beer bar, i was aware that people were drinking and having fun etc, i crossed to the other side of the street so i could possibly avoid the water pistols etc. There were not many people in the soi at the time and it was a full day before the Songkrahn was due to begin. I was on the other side of the street when a female farang,who i did not see, came from the bar to the other side of the road and smashed a bucket of water into my face while i was looking down at the ground. The water went into my eyes and i was stunned and temporarily blinded. I grabed the females hand and when i could see again, i actually worked out what had happened. I let go of her and kept walking, i noticed that 3 of her male friends at the bar were laughing, until i gave a  stare, but none of the thai workers at the bar were. There was nothing to do but continue on walking, being a victim of drunken rude behavior. I took on board the behavior and started to watch that of other farang over the next few days and could see that there wasnt much respect for any one, farang didnt care who they wet, elderly, people in buisiness clothes etc. Saw some heated arguments as well......Dont get me wrong, its a festive time and you are a part of it if your there but why do farang use it as an excuse to exhibit poor behavior? One of these days someone will respond and it may just be me..............          :o

Many water throwers go out of their way to make sure their targets do NOT enjoy the experience. So they do things like put lots of ice in the water so they can laugh at people as they cringe in discomfort. There have also started to be some additives used in the water. Others have used cement in place of that puddy they put on the face. More and more it is becoming an occasion for sanctioned abuse and the word is getting out about this. It is almost impossible to enjoy because you never know if you are being approached by someone who is doing something in good fun or is out to make you miserable.

Edit: By the way, my experiences are drawn from many parts of Bangkok over a number of years.

Edited by The Coder

I refuse to be anywhere near Pattaya during Songkran. About 5 years ago my mobile got fried and a wallet full of expense chits got saturated. That bit of fun for a drunken farang cost me in excess of 35,000 baht.

Dont get me wrong, its a festive time and you are a part of it if your there but why do farang use it as an excuse to exhibit poor behavior?

large.jpg

"its a festive time and you are a part of it " :D

Many water throwers go out of their way to make sure their targets do NOT enjoy the experience.

large.jpg

It is almost impossible to enjoy

large.jpg

because you never know if you are being approached by someone who is doing something in good fun

large.jpg

or is out to make you miserable. :D

large.jpg:D

Edit: By the way, my experiences are drawn from many parts of Bangkok over a number of years.

and mine are drawn from around Thailand :o

Songkran 2005

Enjoy the rest of these above. (hint:- Click on "Songkran 2005"). I loved it. :D

Happy Days :D

Yours truly, :D

Kan Win :D

P.S. Pattaya was the Pits many years ago also btw. :D

I was in Pattaya last songkran (my 1st also) and I too noticed that most of the young farang, especially the English I'm ashamed to say, showed no mercy and didn't see it as a traditional Thai festival, more of the worlds biggest waterfight without even having the slightest curiosity how it originated.

The Thai's were all up for having fun but would only soak you if you were already wet.

The Thai's were all up for having fun but would only soak you if you were already wet.

Correct Scampi :D . You got me cooking now on this one. :D

I got out of my car nice and dry :D . Mayhem and/or Bedlam was around me and was surprised that no one :D “did me in” :D so walking on the pavement, what do you think I did ?

Called the local Brigade (Fire) to soak Win in Kan.

large.jpg

Ooopss :D

large.jpg

Happy Scampi ? :D It was a great time for me at my age.

Leave you with this one...........

"Here's looking at you".......

large.jpg

P.S. Totster, Thank you. See you (from Glo's btw and racing on :D ). :o

Correct Scampi :D . You got me cooking now on this one. :D

I got out of my car nice and dry :D . Mayhem and/or Bedlam was around me and was surprised that no one :D “did me in” :D so walking on the pavement, what do you think I did ?

Called the local Brigade (Fire) to soak Win in Kan.

large.jpg

Ooopss :D

large.jpg

Happy Scampi ? :D It was a great time for me at my age.

Leave you with this one...........

"Here's looking at you".......

large.jpg

P.S. Totster, Thank you. See you (from Glo's btw and racing on :D ). :o

I wouldnt be happy mind looks like the little kid in the picture stole the hat that went with your shirt :D

I have to say that it isnt just Farangs that sometimes behave badly i have had an experience of kids running out from behind trees when i have been travelling quite fast on a motorbike and throwing buckets of water on me 5!!!! days after songkran. Almost took me off the bike i then stopped and they found it highly amusing. I also had a rucksack strapped to the back of the bike with my clothes and some electronic gear in it which was all ruined

I have to say that it isnt just Farangs that sometimes behave badly i have had an experience of kids running out from behind trees when i have been travelling quite fast on a motorbike and throwing buckets of water on me 5!!!! days after songkran. Almost took me off the bike i then stopped and they found it highly amusing. I also had a rucksack strapped to the back of the bike with my clothes and some electronic gear in it which was all ruined

Unfortunately the younger thai´s - without admitting as much (for all the face saving issues) - often take a page out of the farang book of rights....

They (the farang, so i with remorse I must amend that to WE) are the sorry bastards who write that book...

Kan WIN Great pics, as always...

Unfortunately the younger thai´s - without admitting as much (for all the face saving issues) - often take a page out of the farang book of rights....

They (the farang, so i with remorse I must amend that to WE) are the sorry bastards who write that book...

I would probably have to agree with you on this on Kayo.

I would probably have to agree with you on this on Kayo.

sorry state of affairs isn`t it??

But then, what Kan we do^??

Old news really... this behaviour is well documented on this forum and elsewhere during and just after Songkran...  :D

totster  :D

Old like u Totster ?... its not old news, coz it still happens.....and Soi Lurker is spot on...some farangs just take it to far.....but it is a fun time with the Thai's...

It is old news..... the OP posted on 2005-05-27, 6 weeks after the festival. If you look at the posts on the forum during the festival or just after, you would have seen the posts about this topic and other Songkran topics. :o

totster :D