True 3g In On Nut, Bangkok

bkkmick

On Monday I was listening to BBC Radio 5 while driving along in my car taking my kids to and from school, along On Nut. I was thinking how stable the streaming was and noticed that I was on 3G almost all the way and when the 3G signal briefly stopped the True wireless kicked in.

On Tuesday I plugged the iPhone into my PC and a message in iTunes popped up saying that it was loading new network settings. Since then I haven't received any 3G along On Nut!? I was in Silom last night and got a 3G signal there ok.

Can the new network settings that were automatically downloaded have messed something up or, unlikely, could True have been testing additional 3G network around On Nut?

Any ideas?

Edited by bkkmick

The network settings for EDGE and 3G are the same so downloading new network settings should not have messed up your phone. If there is a 3G signal the phone will choose that over EDGE. I think True has been getting ready to expand 3G coverage and playing around with turning on and off 3G signals for testing. I live on Rama 3 and have the 3G USB modem. At work I always get 3G and get 3Mbps download speed, which is really great for a free service (whenever you are connected via 3G on True data is free right now during the testing period). At home one day I got 3G but normally I get Edge. The next day I was back to Edge. I believe they lit up the local cell for 3G for testing but then turned it back off. Probably when they are done building out the system they will turn them all on again. The dragging of feet amongst the government agencies is really a setback for 3G in Thailand. They companies are basically providing illegal 3G service on their 2G licensed frequencies. The only licensed 3G on 2100Mhz (where 3G normally is and what most phones with single band 3G support) is TOT and their service is very expensive. Hopefully one day soon all the companies will get 2100Mhz license and then they can expand their 3G networks without fear of wasted investment capital. You are lucky that the iPhone supports 850Mhz 3G. That is what True and DTAC are testing 3G on and also the frequency AT&T in the USA uses for 3G (the only reason the iPhone supports it).

Edited by jackbox

Interesting stuff jackbox. Makes sense that they could have been testing and that's what I picked up.

It was great when it was on, I was even getting 3G here at home. Looking forward to it all going live.

Cheers

The network settings for EDGE and 3G are the same so downloading new network settings should not have messed up your phone. If there is a 3G signal the phone will choose that over EDGE. I think True has been getting ready to expand 3G coverage and playing around with turning on and off 3G signals for testing. I live on Rama 3 and have the 3G USB modem. At work I always get 3G and get 3Mbps download speed, which is really great for a free service (whenever you are connected via 3G on True data is free right now during the testing period). At home one day I got 3G but normally I get Edge. The next day I was back to Edge. I believe they lit up the local cell for 3G for testing but then turned it back off. Probably when they are done building out the system they will turn them all on again. The dragging of feet amongst the government agencies is really a setback for 3G in Thailand. They companies are basically providing illegal 3G service on their 2G licensed frequencies. The only licensed 3G on 2100Mhz (where 3G normally is and what most phones with single band 3G support) is TOT and their service is very expensive. Hopefully one day soon all the companies will get 2100Mhz license and then they can expand their 3G networks without fear of wasted investment capital. You are lucky that the iPhone supports 850Mhz 3G. That is what True and DTAC are testing 3G on and also the frequency AT&T in the USA uses for 3G (the only reason the iPhone supports it).

Illegal? ....... no..... i think both DTAC and True have an approved trial license for 850 Mhz 3G in Bangkok. I think the issue is network upgrades which are affecting the signal.